Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I seen the highlights of the minors in tg4, they could of won it in the end but the sligos were probably the better team, they had a young fella with a ponyvtaik who is a mighty player, I dont think theres a back door for our fellas
    I was at the game,Sligo were fully deserving winners .

The Sligos :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

ProudDUB wrote: »

He didn't come across very well to me. Needlessly confrontational. What's up with Gaa teams feeling so victimised these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

elefant wrote: »
    He didn't come across very well to me. Needlessly confrontational. What's up with Gaa teams feeling so victimised these days?

Someone hasn't been keeping up with the abuse the team got after the Sligo game, some of the worst of it from bould Parkinson himself. If they thought Evans was going to be a soft touch they weren't doing their homework.

Evans was pitch-perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Syferus wrote: »
    Someone hasn't been keeping up with the abuse the team got after the Sligo game, some of the worst of it from bould Parkinson himself. If they thought Evans was going to be a soft touch they weren't doing their homework.

Evans was pitch-perfect.

Abuse is a strong term. I'd suggest criticism might be a more accurate word :)

Abuse is a strong term. I'd suggest criticism might be a more accurate word :)

You don't live here (I'm pretty sure at least) and yes, abuse is the right word. The knives were out to stab Evans in the back on the back of one bad performance after the Sligo game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You don't live here (I'm pretty sure at least) and yes, abuse is the right word. The knives were out to stab Evans in the back on the back of one bad performance after the Sligo game.

Stab in the back, or kick in the arse out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

This I'm quite miffed about. I know loads of Roscommon people, GAA fans and they have not heard any of this so called abuse. Rumours of lads not turning up etc...? What exactly was said and by whom?

If it was comments about lads not turning up for the abject performance against Sligo then it's fair game in my opinion. I get the impression the loudest mouth in Roscommon (the rent a celeb goalkeeper) calling for Evans head was what irked him the most. In which case he should develop a thicker skin then to worry about what self professed know it alls think.

I thought it was a good interview barring the prickly response to the Sligo game. His ambition and perseverance in talking up Roscommon is refreshing, the talent is there but the mentality is not. Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. I heard the post Sligo game analysis on Off The Ball. The gist of it seemed to be that Roscommon looked leggy, listless, played as if they had one eye on the Connacht final & weren't expecting Sligo to bring as much intensity as they did. I don't think that is entirely unjustified. It is what most spectators and media pundits were saying. That is valid criticism. It's not abuse.

Parkinson may have been sailing close to the wind when he brought up Evans comments about Roscommon winning All Irelands soon. I believe he said that losing to teams that are vastly inferior to them, (sorry Sligo,) will get people questioning the wisdom of those comments. Again, not entirely out of order, to a neutral observer.

I think John Evans is great. His openness & honesty is a breath of fresh air, compared to the dullness of Jim Gavins media output, but Roscommon are in Div 1 now. They have big ambitions and fair play to them for them. People and the national media will now start paying more attention to them, whether they (or John Evans) like it or not. It comes with the territory. If they get mortally offended every single time someone says something that they don't like, or they consider every single word of valid criticism as "abuse," it's going to make for a very stressful summer for them all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I believe he said that losing to teams that are vastly inferior to them, (sorry Sligo,) will get people questioning the wisdom of those comments. Again, not entirely out of order, to a neutral observer.

Vastly inferior? Roscommon may be better overall but there's not that much between the two sides, some people place way too much emphasis on league form, didn't Westmeath get promoted to Division 1 two years ago, I don't recall there being a lot of hype about them, Roscommon have an awful lot to do before I'd consider them more than just a decent team who can give the big guns a run for their money on their day.

I take your point, but Roscommon will be playing in Div 1 next year and Sligo will be in Division 3. Prior to the game, that was the criteria people were judging them both on.

• Advertisement

I wish Evans would stay out of the media, keep the head down, and let the players performances do the talking
    I thought Kerrymen were good for the 'Yerra' approach of always talking down their teams.

Yep. I heard the post Sligo game analysis on Off The Ball. The gist of it seemed to be that Roscommon looked, leggy, listless, played as if they had one eye on the Connacht final & weren't expecting Sligo to bring as much intensity as they did. I don't think that is entirely unjustified. It is what most spectators and media pundits were saying. That is valid criticism. It's not abuse.

Parkinson may have been sailing close to the wind when he brought up Evans comments about Roscommon winning All Irelands soon. I believe he said that losing to teams that are vastly inferior to them, (sorry Sligo,) will get people questioning the wisdom of those comments. Again, not entirely out of order, to a neutral observer.

I think John Evans is great. His openness & honesty is a breath of fresh air, compared to the dullness of Jim Gavins media output, but Roscommon are in Div 1 now. They have big ambitions and fair play to them for them. People and the national media will now start paying more attention to them, whether they (or John Evans) like it or not. It comes with the territory. If they get mortally offended every single time someone says something that they don't like, or they consider every single word of valid criticism as "abuse," it's going to make for a very stressful summer for them all.

Again you don't know what's gone on in the county between the Sligo and Cavan games. Some of it was absolutely toxic. What the national media were at is only the sideshow to the main show. No need to air what's been and gone again.

Hopefully both players and management have learnt lessons over the last month. We're favoured to beat Fermanagh and if we deal with that tag it as poorly as we did in Sligo it's all over for the year. This match will show whether the lessons were absorbed or not.

Again you don't know what's gone on in the county between the Sligo and Cavan games. Some of it was absolutely toxic. What the national media were at is only the sideshow to the main show. No need to air what's been and gone again.

Hopefully both players and management have learnt lessons over the last month. We're favoured to beat Fermanagh and if we deal with that tag it as poorly as we did in Sligo it's all over for the year.

Well if it as you say, then Evans main beef was with the local media & the people in his own county. There was no need to get as pissy as he did with the Newstalk folk, if they weren't the cause of the problem. That was unprofessional of him imo. It made for interesting radio, but the last thing Roscommon needs is to have someone come across all Davy Fitz-esque in his media interactions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I take your point, but Roscommon will be playing in Div 1 next year and Sligo will be in Division 3. Prior to the game, that was the criteria people were judging them both on.

There are plenty of examples of teams having a great league campaign and being gone before August, to change my mind Roscommon will have maintain Division 1 status and win Connacht next year until that happens I won't be buying the hype.

Well if it as you say, then Evans main beef was with the local media & the people in his own county. There was no need to get as pissy as he did with the Newstalk folk, if they weren't the cause of the problem. That was unprofessional of him imo. It made for interesting radio, but the last thing Roscommon needs is to have someone come across all Davy Fitz-esque in his media interactions.

Plenty of Roscommon supporters are fully behind him on this. That's what matters. In the end it matters fúck all to me how people in Dublin or Galway or Madagascar or anywhere else outside the county - who doesn't know the full story - takes it. I doubt Evans feels any differently.

Fin. I'm done.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Stab in the back, or kick in the arse out the door
    Plenty of Roscommon supporters are fully behind him on this. That's what matters. In the end it matters fúck all to me how people in Dublin or Galway or Madagascar or anywhere else outside the county - who doesn't know the full story - takes it. I doubt Evans feels any differently.

Fin. I'm done.

But clearly going on newstalk giving a pretty fiery interview shows Evans does actually care what people outside the county think?

You look for the positive in all things Roscommon Syferus, it's to be admired. Sometimes a bit blinkered but it's unrelenting loyalty.

I refer you to my previous post, specifically what was said that amounted to abuse? Feel free to PM me with exactly what you have heard apart from a high profile former player calling for his head and insinuating Evans hadn't a clue.

If that's what has Evans knickers in a twist then he needs a thicker skin.

For what it's worth I think he's doing a decent job at trying to instill a winning mentality.

But clearly going on newstalk giving a pretty fiery interview shows Evans does actually care what people outside the county think?

You look for the positive in all things Roscommon Syferus, it's to be admired. Sometimes a bit blinkered but it's unrelenting loyalty.

I refer you to my previous post, specifically what was said that amounted to abuse? Feel free to PM me with exactly what you have heard apart from a high profile former player calling for his head and insinuating Evans hadn't a clue.

If that's what has Evans knickers in a twist then he needs a thicker skin.

For what it's worth I think he's doing a decent job at trying to instill a winning mentality.

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

I think it's fair comment. And there's no need to be so defensive when a reasoned debate may result in the highlighting of Roscommon GAA negatives.

And you still haven't answered my original query or should I ask a third time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My word it's never without drama with the Rossies.

Managers being 'abused', rumours about trouble in the camp etc. etc.

Ye had a very good win v Cavan last week and have a very win-able game v Fermanagh coming up.

Evans and co should really drop the siege mentality.

Again you don't know what's gone on in the county between the Sligo and Cavan games. Some of it was absolutely toxic.

Funny, despite being in Roscommon I didn't get a whiff of this.
    People were annoyed at losing, but acknowledged Sligo were the better team

• Advertisement

Funny, despite being in Roscommon I didn't get a whiff of this.
    People were annoyed at losing, but acknowledged Sligo were the better team

Anyone saying anything negative regarding Ros qualifies as toxic abuse apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I wish Evans would stay out of the media, keep the head down, and let the players performances do the talking
    I thought Kerrymen were good for the 'Yerra' approach of always talking down their teams.

I've never seen a lad as 'media friendly', and quite separate from his management abilities or otherwise it's a big weakness imo. His response to a reasonable question about the structure of his management team was ott. But i cringed seeing him standing talking to Billy jo from newstalk and his compatriot Terry Hyland having to stand there and wait to shake hands after the game on Saturday... That's just bad manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I've never seen a lad as 'media friendly', and quite separate from his management abilities or otherwise it's a big weakness imo. His response to a reasonable question about the structure of his management team was ott. But i cringed seeing him standing talking to Billy jo from newstalk and his compatriot Terry Hyland having to stand there and wait to shake hands after the game on Saturday... That's just bad manners.

I seen that, was shocking bad manners

did any one hear of any busses going from ros town area for the match on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

That interview is still up on newstalk you can hear a few minutes in Evans stopping the interview to shake hands with Hyland. In fairness to Evans he could have hid away after that defeat to Sligo instead he and his management has taken the blame.

I think it's the so called rumours behind the scenes that is getting under his collar the most and if totally untrue you can understand why he would be a little pissed off.

Fermanagh a tricky tie for the rossies on Sunday. The experienced Pete McGrath will set his side up in a similar way that Sligo did and a win here for Roscommon will prove
    June 20th was just an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

“There was a few rumours and we heard them all but John Evans and the management team told us not to listen to it.
    “We all knew that they were untrue so the minute we found out we were playing Cavan it was just all eyes on Cavan and we didn’t listen to anything or read into anything that was going on.

Was it the national or local media that started these rumours or some lads on other forums with plenty of time on their hands?

Roscommon need to appoint a media liaison person, to stop managers and players from drifting into the media

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Roscommon need to appoint a media liaison person, to stop managers and players from drifting into the media

They have a PRO?
    http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/contact

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Evans and co should really drop the siege mentality.

you just had a bunch of jokers set up a facebook page claiming to be the official county one trying to make roscommon look bad and in the process alot of top players from connacht commenting on it!

evans and co has every right to have a siege mentality as its pretty obvious some people want to get under their and the countys skin. i have a fair idea where most of the stuff is coming from but thats for another day.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you just had a bunch of jokers set up a facebook page claiming to be the official county one trying to make roscommon look bad and in the process alot of top players from connacht commenting on it!

evans and co has every right to have a siege mentality as its pretty obvious some people want to get under their and the countys skin. i have a fair idea where most of the stuff is coming from but thats for another day.

I have a feeling that some Sligo people were behind that.
    It was a strange development.

In the likes of Kerry there can be fierce criticism of the county management and players in the local media.
    I actually think there isn't enough insightful sports journalism in the local paper which would question the way things are done
    too much paper space given to a county pro and wille heg who toe the official line

Advertisement