Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Mighty stuff form the u21 s last night, serious quality of young fellas in ros at the moment, is their any county what has better coming through. Murtagh looks like a star. I think we out numbered the mayos 2 to 1, great support, any time we beat the mayos feels like weve won the all ireland specially when we beat them there, the future looks bright

Roscommon have a bit of form at this level over the last few years. Hopefully they can kick on to a Connacht and All Ireland. If they can build a good panel of players between 21 and 28 years they could become a force to be reckoned with. As I always say they must be in Croke Park in August either by front door or back door and have a scoring ability of 16/19 points. Those knockout games are the games to build teams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Up! Up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Syferus wrote: »
    Up! Up!

Perfect for both ye and us. I'd imagine ye have a big panel also so will allow a few to have a match in the last couple of games.

When is the final? Is it definitely in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Looking good now, great week for Ros, U21s and seniors motoring well and Hyde problems sorted . investment coming again from CP and sponsors on board again.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Perfect for both ye and us. I'd imagine ye have a big panel also so will allow a few to have a match in the last couple of games.

When is the final? Is it definitely in Croke Park?

I'm assuming so. Even a run out in an empty Croker will do our lads good.

The game in Breffni in two weeks will be a round of shadow boxing now, we'll likely rest the U21s and delve into the panel and with ye not playing your U21s anyways I assume something similar on your end.

Great to have it done and dusted early. Very straight-forward for both counties this year after years of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Delighted to see Roscommon go up with us. There's a severe clash in styles with Roscommon flying going forward and Cavan tenacious in defence so the game in Croker will be an interesting one. I do think Roscommon are ahead of us at this stage though. Both counties will have fantastic support and it will make for a great day out in Croker. Hopefully Leitrim can get there too and it would be a novel day out for the north west!

The Tanned One was lamenting the lack of opposition in Connacht for the Rhubarbs again on Mid West today. How I'd love for us to ram his words down his throat in June.

Now that promotion is out of the way the focus is on Leitrim - and let's be honest - Mayo in May and June. Home games and perhaps the final ones before the Hyde closes its doors. Plenty of time to prepare and improve. Let's ride this wave to somewhere.

I'm assuming so. Even a run out in an empty Croker will do our lads good.

The game in Breffni in two weeks will be a round of shadow boxing now, we'll likely rest the U21s and delve into the panel and with ye not playing your U21s anyways I assume something similar on your end.

Great to have it done and dusted early. Very straight-forward for both counties this year after years of trouble.

We've used 35 players in the course of the league. Some like Philip Tinnelly and Chris Conroy haven't had much of an opportunity so I'd expect them to be given a chance now.

I was saying on the Cavan thread I was told weeks ago that the lads on the fringes of the panel were told they'd get a run out if things were going well so I'd expect that to happen now.

A few like Alan Clarke and Eugene Keating should also be working on their fitness after injuries by then.

I doubt either team will want to show their full card ahead of the Croke Park match though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on promotion lads - should be good crack in Breffni in a few weeks under the floodlights - but neither team will show their hands ahead of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Tanned One was lamenting the lack of opposition in Connacht for the Rhubarbs again on Mid West today. How I'd love for us to ram his words down his throat in June.

why you would complain about an easy path out of the provincials i will never know. kerry spent the last century sleepwalking through munster and peaking when the time was right in croke park.

mayo spent years playing tough games (and peaking) against us, galway and sligo in connacht and then falling at the first hurdle once they left the province to average teams.

• Advertisement

must be serious competition for places on the panel.there was basically a try out for lads this morning in knockcroghery to see who will be on the panel.Good to see lads on the fringes being looked at and keeping everyone on their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Some week pure mighty, great day with the pool winning to. Good to have a trip to Crocker to look forward to, fair play to Evans he has us motoring nicely, looks like the galways could be coming in the other direction

yabadabado wrote: »
    must be serious competition for places on the panel.there was basically a try out for lads this morning in knockcroghery to see who will be on the panel.Good to see lads on the fringes being looked at and keeping everyone on their toes.

Been doing that all league. When lads of the talent level of Donie Smith and Paddy B are fighting for panel places you know competition is in a good place. Johneen, Wally and Gay have been doing an excellent job this year.

If Tommy Carr and the Tanned One are on one end of the outside manager scale then Evans is on the other.

Are they training on the morning of a game or is it fellas what arent already in the panel

Are they training on the morning of a game or is it fellas what arent already in the panel

Has your PC gone haywire Tom?

Lads doing the training on Sunday morning are on the panel trying to make the match-day squad.

Lads doing the training on Sunday morning are on the panel trying to make the match-day squad.

Is it not a bit silly to be training lads who will then be in the squad that day?

I know Cavan are working off a panel off about 45. Terry has always done it. Even with the U21s he always had a large panel of 40+.

One of the features of training is constant games between two sides. Rory Dunne spoke before about how constantly marking Keating in training is really improving his game.

Are you sure about that, sure theyd be to tired to play a game after training in the morning, that sort of crack is the way fellas pick up injuries

Are you sure about that, sure theyd be to tired to play a game after training in the morning, that sort of crack is the way fellas pick up injuries

• Advertisement

Is it not a bit silly to be training lads who will then be in the squad that day?

I know Cavan are working off a panel off about 45. Terry has always done it. Even with the U21s he always had a large panel of 40+.

One of the features of training is constant games between two sides. Rory Dunne spoke before about how constantly marking Keating in training is really improving his game.

I don't mean the match-day squad on the given day. Most of the players training in Doms either are returning from injury or are fringe players trying to make the cut. They wouldn't be featuring on the day but the next one they might.

I don't mean the match-day squad on the given day. Most of the players training in Doms either are returning from injury or are fringe players trying to make the cut. They wouldn't be featuring on the day but the next one they might.

thats what it is ,its not a closed door like previous years.Lads who are on the fringes are been given a chance.Mate was watching it yesterday and reckons it was impressive stuff,very competitive,looked like lads were really going for and not just there to make up numbers.

Is there a Connacht junior championship? There's none in Ulster but Cavan play in Leinster's.

It's been a successful platform for bringing in alot of young players for Cavan.

Is there a Connacht junior championship? There's none in Ulster but Cavan play in Leinster's.

It's been a successful platform for bringing in alot of young players for Cavan.

There is but we haven't fielded a team in two years. Would be a good year to change that and get the fringe lads an extra game or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Sure every club gets a run out in the Hyde for all sorts of games. Or they did before the ownership mess made it a delapidates mess. I'm sure Ros Gaels are no paupers now that this excruciating nightmare is over. They have a very fine new club ground in Lisnamut before we even get to the particulars of the hand-over.

Looks like tomorrow's game is staying in the Hyde, unforuntately.

If the Gaels have so much money, how come they're fundraising like mad in order to build basic dressing rooms in said fine club ground?

The most annoying thing about this whole charade was the bad press (literally) the Gaels were getting when any gobsh!te with a brain could see they were not the problem. I don't know how many ordinary club people from around the county I've met (who would be no friends of ours on the football pitch) were completely behind the Gaels in this matter. The Gaels refused to let the County Board walk all over them. The County Board didn't like it. That's all there is to it.

The details of the agreement are in today's Ros Herald if you want a look.

An ugly grind in Sligo today but we made it though to the Connacht final.. against Leitrim.

An ugly grind in Sligo today but we made it though to the Connacht final.. against Leitrim.

any win will do and I thought it would be much closer than bookies predicted.Big shock Galway going out today.

Roscommon now 3-1 to win AI from 12s less than 2 weeks ago.

any win will do and I thought it would be much closer than bookies predicted.Big shock Galway going out today.

A close game could be what we needed, the galways are a shambles at every age

• Advertisement

A close game could be what we needed, the galways are a shambles at every age

Advertisement