Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Sorry David��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Rossvet wrote: »
    13 or 14 played Senior at some stage with Carty, Devaney, Donie, Higgins, Fintan, O'Gara having good innings.
    Ormsby and Domican cut short their careers by going abroad.

Did the captain, Flynn wasn't it?, play much after? Was he the same club as Shine?

Also i have it in my head the keeper also played hurling? Might have won an U21 B after beating Kerry as well?

David Flynn got a few senior games but didn't make it after. Yep he's Clann na nGael like Donie.
    Miley played some games at Senior but wasn't a success shall we day. Played U21 hurling for Ros right enough.
    Was that hurling game v Kerry in Thurles??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Rossvet wrote: »
    David Flynn got a few senior games but didn't make it after. Yep he's Clann na nGael like Donie.
    Miley played some games at Senior but wasn't a success shall we day. Played U21 hurling for Ros right enough.
    Was that hurling game v Kerry in Thurles??

I think it might have been. Not sure if it was 2007 or 2008. Did he ever play any more hurling after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

rn wrote: »
    I imagine clanns eventual crushing of brigids iron grip on roscommon SFC was a highlight of his career that came late on. He was instrumental to ending clanns drought.
    https://youtu.be/_lDQA4saWfU

Fair point - I was more talking about in county colours, which I should have specified. It probably wouldn't be unfair to suggest that that club title in 2015 possibly meant the most to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Terrific score against the wind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Having seen the team picked for the Dubs match I have to say I'm a little pessimistic.

The forwards (well 5 of them) look ok, but the full back line looks iffy to say the least especially when you see the full forward line they're up against.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but more than anything I want to see a gutsy effort where the team are actually trying their damnest to win, unlike that insipid 'performance' against a very inexperienced Mayo team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Whats the story on Sean Mullooley? Is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

megadodge wrote: »
    Having seen the team picked for the Dubs match I have to say I'm a little pessimistic.

The forwards (well 5 of them) look ok, but the full back line looks iffy to say the least especially when you see the full forward line they're up against.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but more than anything I want to see a gutsy effort where the team are actually trying their damnest to win, unlike that insipid 'performance' against a very inexperienced Mayo team.

Insipid performance yes though I don't think I'd call a Mayo team that included D Clarke, P Durcan, L Keegan, C Barrett, D O Connor, K McLoughlin, C O’Connor and A O’Shea as very inexperienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Think we will be smashed tomorrow unfortunately. Dublin have a ridiculously strong side out. Have been training for the last god knows how long before they got caught. We weren't training and adhered to the rules but I think we were one of a small number who didnt and are at a disadvantage to most for playing by the rules.

On the team we have selected I have massive worries,managements hands were tied with so many injured but its weak in my opinion. Full back line could have a long day. Patterson imo is a good squad player but not up to standard to be starting games from what I have seen. Really hope he sticks it to me and proves me wrong. Lennon I have never seen or heard of playing full back. Both corner backs are extremely small.
    Massive servant down the years and one of our all time greats but Cregg is getting on now and had a stinker last year against Mayo. Kilroy works like a dog but the tactic of playing him and letting him sweep has run its course. Mist be 4 or 5 years now at it. So predictable. Nolan been thrown into lions den but I hear he is in on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You won't hear mention in any media about the Dubs training since the new year and other counties actually adhering to the guidelines

Insipid performance yes though I don't think I'd call a Mayo team that included D Clarke, P Durcan, L Keegan, C Barrett, D O Connor, K McLoughlin, C O’Connor and A O’Shea as very inexperienced.

Ok, in fairness there were a number of experienced players on it, but there were quite a number of them having their first proper championship game and on the day they looked very beatable.

If that was the Mayo team of a few years earlier, Roscommon would have been hammered in one of those pathetic performances Roscommon only seem to reserve for Mayo.

I honestly still don't understand that performance from an experienced team with no injuries having played quite well in their two last league games. Compare that to Cavan who were comfortably beaten by half a Roscommon team in that last league game. They won Ulster on pure willpower and desire. Why can't Roscommon do the same?

The forwards are playing well, making space, showing for the ball and taking the bulk of their chances. The backs are struggling though. Not really surprised.

Pity Diarmuid missed that sitter.

Ros are simply letting Dublin take short kickouts all the time. Why? Giving a team like that the ball every time doesn't make sense.

megadodge wrote: »
    The forwards are playing well, making space, showing for the ball and taking the bulk of their chances. The backs are struggling though. Not really surprised.

Pity Diarmuid missed that sitter.

Ros are simply letting Dublin take short kickouts all the time. Why? Giving a team like that the ball every time doesn't make sense.

Yeah worth pushing up on kick outs when playing with a wind like that.
    Going to be a long second half, poor Lavin has an awful job in front of him on his kick outs, no options when Dublin go full press. Surely it's something that could have been worked on, it's not a new thing.

A loss is a loss, but all things considered that wasn't too bad.

Up until the last 10 minutes the defense improved dramatically from the first half. Far more aggressive (legitimately) and better support play.

Great to see Ciaran Murtagh back and he played very well. As consistent and hard-working as ever.

Still don't understand letting Dublin have possession on every single one of their own kickouts. It makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Considering Roscommon have had 2 weeks of training and Dublin been going at it for months it wasn't too bad overall.

The referee was awful too obviously, has there ever been 3 penalties to one team in a game?

Glaring issues still though. Killoran not a midfielder, Lennon not a full-back, Lavin gifting Dublin possession time and time again. Enda Smith anonymous for too much of the game and Roscommons insistence on kicking it into the corner for him to chase was downright baffling.

Donie, Ciarán looked lively. Murray and Niall Daly played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

the ref now giving them every advantage going at this stage, its a complete joke and its only getting worse, only for the ref itd have been a close game, important now that we beat the galways on Sunday, the can't be as bad they were last week,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not alone are they giving the jacks millons of pounds but the ref now giving them every advantage going at this stage, its a complete joke and its only getting worse, only for the ref itd have been a close game, important now that we beat the galways on Sunday, the can't be as bad they were last week,

Not too keen on that rule myself but it's there now plus there's no denying that the three of them weren't warranted as per the ruling. It wouldn't have been a close game either as Dublin only scored 1.1 from a possible 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not too keen on that rule myself but it's there now plus there's no denying that the three of them weren't warranted as per the ruling. It wouldn't have been a close game either as Dublin only scored 1.1 from a possible 3.0.
    Can debate if any of 3 were warranted.

1st one was it a clear goal scoring opportunity and was it a clinical foul or a tangle of legs?

2nd one no way was that a clear goal scoring opportunity

3rd not sure why a the ref called a foot block on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We pass the ball across the pitch too much and don't transfer the ball quick enough in forwards to create space for a score

That's a major failing alright.

Given what was at stake that was a really worrying insipid performance again today.

After 4-5 years of over achievement for a small county population wise and in terms of playing pool to pick from are we now in real decline? Or is it a knock on from lack of collective training?

Not much time to get things corrected for Galway in championship...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

We'll go into decline if we reflect negatively on today. And throw everything out. Unfortunately that's football. We're still at the top 8-16 group of counties. I think the lack of training plus league format was a disaster for a building county like us. You can see from the semi that the other group was closer and better for preparing a team for the likes of our game today. Would not be confident for Galway game at all. Galway will be bitterly disappointed after that loss today, where they did a lot right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

rn wrote: »
    We'll go into decline if we reflect negatively on today. And throw everything out. Unfortunately that's football. We're still at the top 8-16 group of counties. I think the lack of training plus league format was a disaster for a building county like us. You can see from the semi that the other group was closer and better for preparing a team for the likes of our game today. Would not be confident for Galway game at all. Galway will be bitterly disappointed after that loss today, where they did a lot right.

Any team that wants to make any progress must have system in place and decent to solid structure in defence. Roscommon seemed to have that in year 1 under Cunningham but since then have lost their way, maybe the pandemic has halted that progress but its hard to see Roscommon recovering with the championship just a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Any team that wants to make any progress must have system in place and decent to solid structure in defence. Roscommon seemed to have that in year 1 under Cunningham but since then have lost their way, maybe the pandemic has halted that progress but its hard to see Roscommon recovering with the championship just a few weeks away.
    Our problem today was less with defence (without the ball) than it was in attack (without it).
    We gave away heaps of scores directly from when we had decent possession, either stupid turnovers or kicking stupid aimless kicks into the goalies hands,at least 1-5 I'd be guessing directly from having the ball, and probably more.

Defence won many tackles in the first say 45 minutes, but we lost the ball then going forward. No defence can keep that up for a full game. Our much vaunted star forwards have not progressed, we have no attacking strategy or framework, sideways, slow, pedestrian, passive possession is where the problem lies. Defence isn't perfect, but that's not the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

we're to good for division 2 and not good enough for division 1, i wouldnt be surprised if we came back up again next year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Our problem today was less with defence (without the ball) than it was in attack (without it).
    We gave away heaps of scores directly from when we had decent possession, either stupid turnovers or kicking stupid aimless kicks into the goalies hands,at least 1-5 I'd be guessing directly from having the ball, and probably more.

Defence won many tackles in the first say 45 minutes, but we lost the ball then going forward. No defence can keep that up for a full game. Our much vaunted star forwards have not progressed, we have no attacking strategy or framework, sideways, slow, pedestrian, passive possession is where the problem lies. Defence isn't perfect, but that's not the main problem.

That's where the structure in defence comes in. Once you lose or gift possession you have to be set up correctly to make sure no easy scores are conceded. Armagh had a strong structure in place that made sure no soft goals would be conceded they simply learnt a lot from their defeat to Roscommon last October when they conceded 3 goals that basically cost them in a match they had control of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

we're to good for division 2 and not good enough for division 1, i wouldnt be surprised if we came back up again next year,

What Div 2 team would that Roscommon beat with that performance today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's where the structure in defence comes in. Once you lose or gift possession you have to be set up correctly to make sure no easy scores are conceded. Armagh had a strong structure in place that made sure no soft goals would be conceded they simply learnt a lot from their defeat to Roscommon last October when they conceded 3 goals that basically cost them in a match they had control of.

6 points in the last hour + played today!

There are some problems in defence, but this is pathetic. We had lots of ball, but did SFA with it, no creativity at all. Attacks kept breaking down, the sheer volumes of counter attacks we faced was more a problem than how we reacted to them.

The game plan is 5 years out of date, forwards have not improved and have no cohesion or team play when we have the ball, just hope Donie or Duirmuid or Ciaran or Enda conjure up a bit of magic.

Advertisement