Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Lt Dan wrote: »
    I am going to sound negative about today's performance.

I left Croke Park fuming that this was the day that we had Mayo by the balls and we blew it.

However, hindsight, like many, if you said to me that after the embarrassment of the performances against Galway last year when we had a lot of the ball (at least in the first game) and loosing to Clare and the performances (rather than the results) in the league this year, the infighting and public criticism of Kevin McStay , along with loosing some key lads (and that can not be underestimated) , that (a) Roscommon would win the Connacht Championship , in style and (b) Roscommon would be going to Croke Park and looking like a team that had every right to be there in the Quarter Final and had genuine belief that we could have beaten Mayo, I would thought that you were bonkers.

I do believe that Roscommon should have won today. There were some silly mistakes (goal keeper especially) But, we most certainly can not question the hunger and commitment to the jersey. That performance was one of pride. They are playing for the Manager. Murtagh was getting man handled in the full forward and he continued to fight. John McManus and Sean McDermott (both of whom you could pick out a mile away with their red boots) were brilliant and seemed comfortable bringing the ball out from the backs.

Many of the lads looked wrecked,and my wouldn't they be, they absolutely blitzreged Mayo for the first twenty minutes and again in the second half. But that is slightly worrying considering (a) It's bloody Mayo, they have a jinx on us and (b) Mayo never really panicked despite being understandably flat and terrible today. I am glad the replay is in Croke Park, a nice change of scenery

Anyway, going back to the great Paddy Joe Burke, on the way down into town I decided to put the headphones on to tune into The Marty Squad, so that I kept my mouth shut with my mates who were delighted with the performance. I did not want to sound like Eamon Dunphy when Ireland get a great result (Mayo is Mayo, a top team) Low and behold Paddy Joe was on

Whatever ye do, get a hold of the clip. Paddy was brilliant as usual talking about Roscommon and how great the result was, pure positive stuff and he was nothing but complementary about Mayo. Marty was loving it as was the big crowd that were around him. He was talking about the Rossies in other parts of the world who would be listening into RTE Radio.

Suffice to say that 10 minutes of listening to that , I was in a much better mood. Swore myself that I won't go to the replay (We all do that after the usual running for the train in Castlebar with 10 minutes to go and Mayo hammering Roscommon) but nah, we have to believe

How poor where Kerry today. Galway handed them the game. The Star is some player still.

Every Roscommon supporter should be very proud of the hunger, determination & drive of Roscommon today. It was fantastic to watch and they sure as hell proved me wrong with their performance (as well as numerous Ros fans that I spoke to after the match).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Every Roscommon supporter should be very proud of the hunger, determination & drive of Roscommon today. It was fantastic to watch and they sure as hell proved me wrong with their performance (as well as numerous Ros fans that I spoke to after the match).

I don't for one millisecond question the hunger and commitment, but it was not enough today. Let us call a spade a spade, Mayo have not been great today and have been poor in their championship games against teams that they would normally turn over. Two games went to extra time and we still were lucky to come away with a draw despite being all over them for much of the game. We didn't seem to learn from Galway last year. There was no runs at angle, our full forward was often left on his own with little support. Some of our fast breaks were too slow, there was little overlapping nor was the ball spread out all the big pitch.

These lads are bloody talented lads, they have Connacht Titles in minor and Under 21s, they reached the later stages of All Ireland series , we can believe in them and when given a game plan and a coach who believes in them (without going ridiculous like John Evans) they are formidable. ( I know under age football is a different kettle of fish to senior)

I know it is very unfair for a small county like ours to put high expectations on them, but, we all know what Mayo are like, it is hard enough to beat them in one year, and I really hope the opportunity does not slip away. Feed up of those games that slip away. Mayo are beatable.

I don't want to be hearing RTE etc telling us what a great team they were for a little county etc. Calling us minnows (we probably are) , it is condescending. Dessie Dolan and RTE more or less said that we "peaked" in the Connacht Final and the Connacht Final was probably our summer. (In fairness they would not be the only ones)

Mayo are there for the taking today, and hopefully the next day. The lads have youth and a game plan, put them to the sword . I hope they have better composure because some of the shot selections from 20 out were dreadful, a lot of hit and hopers. The goal keeper came up for a kick and blew it. Complete waste of possession. The last major attack of the game, a roscommon forward took too much out of the ball, got isolated and went into the corner like it was soccer with two Mayo lads covering him. Not one other Roscommon man came to give him options. Their game plan was thump it into the Full forward and hope he gets it, but when he gets it, don't provide support by the corner forwards ie their bloody job

Galway were poor enough today.They definitely did not believe that they could put it up to Kerry and just threw down the tools in the end. Kerry were no great shakes, and they did not have to be. Mayo, how far is this team going to go? This season, they are just waiting for someone to put them out of their misery, and I hope it is us. Surely Roscommon can knock out 2 more Connacht titles within the next 5 years or so.?

Despite the lack of a county pitch for training , the Club Rossie group have been fantastic with their funding for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I said it for the last week that Roscommon had a very good chance against Mayo. I think they have an even better chance next week. I think overall, they were fitter than Mayo today. Even looking at the big screen in Croke park, the Mayo players looked wrecked more so than the Roscommon players. I think both sides had their opportunities to win. Both sides made mistakes ( Roscommon more so than Mayo) but we were in better shape than Mayo. We will be looking back on them mistakes for the next week and learning from them mistakes. Many won't agree with me here but I honestly don't think Mayo wil be in much better shape next week than they were today. But I do think Cillain O Connor will be far more accurate next week so we will need to make sure he gets very few frees.

I said it for the last week that Roscommon had a very good chance against Mayo. I think they have an even better chance next week. I think overall, they were fitter than Mayo today. Even looking at the big screen in Croke park, the Mayo players looked wrecked more so than the Roscommon players. I think both sides had their opportunities to win. Both sides made mistakes ( Roscommon more so than Mayo) but we were in better shape than Mayo. We will be looking back on them mistakes for the next week and learning from them mistakes. Many won't agree with me here but I honestly don't think Mayo wil be in much better shape next week than they were today. But I do think Cillain O Connor will be far more accurate next week so we will need to make sure he gets very few frees.

That is the big worry, Cillian O'Connor will not be as bad as he was today

One aspect of Roscommon's game that I was delighted with was for most part, the defence was solid and didn't give away too many soft frees. At times, the referee seemed to have forgotten that the game is a contact sport, however, Roscommon were fierce lucky not to get a black card or two, so can't really complain about the ref. Aidan O'Shea was brutal (I don't rate him, sorry folks) and that was brilliant work by Roscommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

great photos on the walls of the barbers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That is the big worry, Cillian O'Connor will not be as bad as he was today

One aspect of Roscommon's game that I was delighted with was for most part, the defence was solid and didn't give away too many soft frees. At times, the referee seemed to have forgotten that the game is a contact sport, however, Roscommon were fierce lucky not to get a black card or two, so can't really complain about the ref. Aidan O'Shea was brutal (I don't rate him, sorry folks) and that was brilliant work by Roscommon.

lad ye have had a fantastic year as it , that win over galway was serious , yes ye hit several wides today , but whats to say the next day will be diffrent ,ye were the better team today , ye found out a huge weakness in the mayo full back line if ye drop a few more bombs on top of them the next day rather then kick wayward wides ye have a huge chance , mayo are not firing at the moment and are fully there for the taking next week, ye are not a bad side either lads

lad ye have had a fantastic year as it , that win over galway was serious , yes ye hit several wides today , but whats to say the next day will be diffrent ,ye were the better team today , ye found out a huge weakness in the mayo full back line if ye drop a few more bombs on top of them the next day rather then kick wayward wides ye have a huge chance , mayo are not firing at the moment and are fully there for the taking next week, ye are not a bad side either lads

The corner forwards will have to work and give the full forward and half forwards options.

Suffice to say, at this time, based the performances, Dublin might as well get the All Ireland after party planned. Tyrone , assuming they bate Armagh, might scare and frustrate Dublin . Kerry? hmm, they need to up their performances , at least they won't fear either Roscommon or Mayo (to get to a Semi, well, couldn't really care what happened then, so long as we show up)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The corner forwards will have to work and give the full forward and half forwards options.

Suffice to say, at this time, based the performances, Dublin might as well get the All Ireland after party planned. Tyrone , assuming they bate Armagh, might scare and frustrate Dublin . Kerry? hmm, they need to up their performances , at least they won't fear either Roscommon or Mayo (to get to a Semi, well, couldn't really care what happened then, so long as we show up)

everyone says that about dublin but they were terrible against carlow in the first game , and kildare asked plenty of questions the last day and neither would be anywhere near contenders for anything major

everyone says that about dublin but they were terrible against carlow in the first game , and kildare asked plenty of questions the last day and neither would be anywhere near contenders for anything major

Only Kerry will challenge them. Mayo would too but for so many games and extra time. Mayo should have put them to the sword the last time they met.

Dublin? Yep, they ain't completely Invincible, but Armagh just bet Kildare, so that was all for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

we need to start with a weaker team and have a few better forwards to bring on.
    our inside forwards barely showed for the ball once Mayo set up the sweeper

I've never seen the Murtaghs play so bad
    Connolly was poor

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    we need to start with a weaker team and have a few better forwards to bring on.
    our inside forwards barely showed for the ball once Mayo set up the sweeper

I've never seen the Murtaghs play so bad
    Connolly was poor

We will need a good start to beat Mayo and we can't do that without our top forwards starting. I can see Andy Moran coming on in the last 10 minutes of the game and we all know from the FBD league game that he will be a serious threat to us.
    As for the Murtaghs, they played poorly enough but it is unlike them and they should be better for the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I am going to sound negative about today's performance.

I left Croke Park fuming that this was the day that we had Mayo by the balls and we blew it.

However, hindsight, like many, if you said to me that after the embarrassment of the performances against Galway last year when we had a lot of the ball (at least in the first game) and loosing to Clare and the performances (rather than the results) in the league this year, the infighting and public criticism of Kevin McStay , along with loosing some key lads (and that can not be underestimated) , that (a) Roscommon would win the Connacht Championship , in style and (b) Roscommon would be going to Croke Park and looking like a team that had every right to be there in the Quarter Final and had genuine belief that we could have beaten Mayo, I would thought that you were bonkers.

I do believe that Roscommon should have won today. In fact, hammer Mayo (I know, we got lucky in the end) There were some silly mistakes (goal keeper especially) But, we most certainly can not question the hunger and commitment to the jersey. That performance was one of pride. They are playing for the Manager. Murtagh was getting man handled in the full forward and he continued to fight. John McManus and Sean McDermott (both of whom you could pick out a mile away with their red boots) were brilliant and seemed comfortable bringing the ball out from the backs.

Many of the lads looked wrecked,and why wouldn't they be, they absolutely blitzkrieg Mayo for the first twenty minutes and again in the second half.It was sickening to be 2 down at Half time. But that tiredness is slightly worrying considering (a) It's bloody Mayo, they have a jinx on us and (b) Mayo never really panicked despite being understandably flat and terrible today. I am glad the replay is in Croke Park, a nice change of scenery, I would not give Roscommon much of a chance if it was down West, you tend to only get 1 chance of bating Mayo

Anyway, going back to the great Paddy Joe Burke, on the way down into town I decided to put the headphones on to tune into The Marty Squad on RTE1 so that I kept my mouth shut with my mates who were delighted with the performance. I did not want to sound like Eamon Dunphy when Ireland get a great result (Mayo is Mayo, a top team) Low and behold Paddy Joe was on

Whatever ye do, get a hold of the clip. Paddy was brilliant as usual talking about Roscommon and how great the result was, pure positive stuff and he was nothing but complementary about Mayo. Marty was loving it as was the big crowd that were around him. He was talking about the Rossies in other parts of the world who would be listening into RTE Radio. He also pointed out that Roscommon do well in replays

Suffice to say that 10 minutes of listening to that , I was in a much better mood. Had swore to myself that I won't go to the replay coming out of the game (We all do that after the usual running for the train in Castlebar with 10 minutes to go and Mayo hammering Roscommon) but nah, we have to believe now. At least the attitude is better than that embarrassing game two years ago against Sligo (how times flies)

How poor where Kerry today. Galway handed them the game. The Star is some player still.

Did anyone hear the bit shortly afterwards where the lad from Athlone was interviewed and started off by praising the performance of Lee Keegan and Marty was agreeing and then suddenly a switch was flicked in his head and he tore into his off the ball shenanigans and how disgraceful it is that the GAA don't clamp down on this type of thing!!

What an atmosphere yesterday, I looked at the game when I got home last night and the TV in no way gets across the sheer noise volume and excitement generated by both sets of supporters yesterday. I remember someone in the main championship thread questioning the scheduling of the 2 games when they were initially announced but imagine what an absolute dead duck the Kerry Galway game would have been if it was on second.

Funny type of game, we had our heel on their throats you would have thought with the second goal but our big game inexperience probably shone through by not attempting to close up shop for 5 minutes or so directly after that score. Credit to Mayo though they didn't panic and deservedly lead at half time. Have to admit I was totally deflated at that point but the heart and spirit of this bunch of lads can't be questioned.

O'Rourke and Kilroy have already been mentioned but I wanted to add McManus to that list as well as I will admit I didn't think he was up to this standard even a year ago. Thought it was a really mature performance from Mullooley as well, no rash challenges and continually took the fight to Mayo with his ball carrying.

Plenty to work on for the replay....our speed of breaking out of defence was ponderous for large periods of second half and our support play off the shoulder dried up. the sweeper really nullified our inside line but their lack of movement really stymied the man in possession and has to be rectified.

Anyways onwards and upwards and can't wait for the replay. What a difference 12 months makes!!

Did anyone hear the bit shortly afterwards where the lad from Athlone was interviewed and started off by praising the performance of Lee Keegan and Marty was agreeing and then suddenly a switch was flicked in his head and he tore into his off the ball shenanigans and how disgraceful it is that the GAA don't clamp down on this type of thing!!

What an atmosphere yesterday, I looked at the game when I got home last night and the TV in no way gets across the sheer noise volume and excitement generated by both sets of supporters yesterday. I remember someone in the main championship thread questioning the scheduling of the 2 games when they were initially announced but imagine what an absolute dead duck the Kerry Galway game would have been if it was on second.

Funny type of game, we had our heel on their throats you would have thought with the second goal but our big game inexperience probably shone through by not attempting to close up shop for 5 minutes or so directly after that score. Credit to Mayo though they didn't panic and deservedly lead at half time. Have to admit I was totally deflated at that point but the heart and spirit of this bunch of lads can't be questioned.

O'Rourke and Kilroy have already been mentioned but I wanted to add McManus to that list as well as I will admit I didn't think he was up to this standard even a year ago. Thought it was a really mature performance from Mullooley as well, no rash challenges and continually took the fight to Mayo with his ball carrying.

Plenty to work on for the replay....our speed of breaking out of defence was ponderous for large periods of second half and our support play off the shoulder dried up. the sweeper really nullified our inside line but their lack of movement really stymied the man in possession and has to be rectified.

Anyways onwards and upwards and can't wait for the replay. What a difference 12 months makes!!

For most part, young McManus was very good going forward.. I thought we were going to see a reincarnation of his auld fella when John had a promising attacking play but alas it went harmlessly wide (he was passing the ball in)

Ye, heard all of the Marty Squad, poor Marty was expecting "Ah God it's great to be in Croke Park, aren't we lucky, from a small parish etc". Ya our friend from Glasson (originally from Roscommon) was at pains to make it clear that he was trying to give a balanced view. Marty wanted to close him down, but dealt with it well. It was decent radio

Game is at 2pm on Monday 7th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Anyone who has followed this team this season and went to Croke Park not expecting at a minimum the performance that as given were, to use Maughan's infamous turn of phrase, paying customers and not supporters.

Sunday was a first step. Grand. The goal was and is to beat Mayo. Now isn't time for congratulating ourselves. A lot of our big players had uncharacteristically quiet days yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This is not meant as a dig but some of the comment from Rossie fans is a bit ott. Shane Curran was on the Marty Squad on radio yesterday evening creaming himself over how Roscommon are now able to battle it out with the big boys and are an example to similar small counties. Ye got relegated, beat an average Galway team and drew with a Mayo team that is nowhere near what we were even last year and are probably not realistic title contenders. Ye need to calm down, beat us in the replay and seriously put it up to Kerry and then maybe ye can say ye have arrived at the top table.

btw Mc Stay's constant harassing of the linesman and 4th official yesterday was an eye opener to me. is that a regular thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

This is not meant as a dig but some of the comment from Rossie fans is a bit ott. Shane Curran was on the Marty Squad on radio yesterday evening creaming himself over how Roscommon are now able to battle it out with the big boys and are an example to similar small counties. Ye got relegated, beat an average Galway team and drew with a Mayo team that is nowhere near what we were even last year and are probably not realistic title contenders. Ye need to calm down, beat us in the replay and seriously put it up to Kerry and then maybe ye can say ye have arrived at the top table.

btw Mc Stay's constant harassing of the linesman and 4th official yesterday was an eye opener to me. is that a regular thing?

Anything else you want to get off your chest?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Btw COC constant dirty tricks and making contact with opponents heads was an eye opener to me. Is that a regular thing???

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Btw COC constant dirty tricks and making contact with opponents heads was an eye opener to me. Is that a regular thing???

Yes it is a regular thing. Do you not follow football?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Some of what you say is true but remember that since 1977 I have been at all 13 of Roscommons championship games in CP. Won 1 drew 2 and lost 10. Add the fact my club lost 4 all ireland finals on the trot and you can understand how not losing and actually being competitive would make us a tad overexcited.
    I mean I could say look at Kerry this year...beat a woful Cork team in the Munster Final and beat a poor Galway team yesterday while gifting them 3/4 great goal chances. Yet folk seem to think they are worldbeaters?

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Anything else you want to get off your chest?

Nah thats it:) . Honestly wasn't meant as a dig, just found some of the commentary interesting and a little bit ott. I doubt that most of ye think ye have 'arrived' yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Yes it is a regular thing. Do you not follow football?

Nope brand new to watching the game

We put focus into the chanpionship over the league this year. We made a huge mistake last year putting more focus on the league than championship. We beat an average Galway team but we did not play much better than them. We drew with a poor Mayo team but we were just as bad as they were.

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Nope brand new to watching the game

I see, that would explain your stupid question then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I see, that would explain your stupid question then.

Time to stop digging and making a fool of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

No bother. :)
    I wouldn't be taking Curran as indicative of the general Rossie mindset for many, many reasons. He's looking to get into politics so will be spouting whatever populous guff gets him on the airwaves.
    You'll always have a few in every county who get in a position we are in now who are convinced well not only win the replay but also win the whole thing, but very few here think anything other that we have improved as a team and are heading in the right direction, that's it.
    You only have to look at Monaghan to see how hard it is to get to that top table, and I wouldn't have us as advanced as them. Yet ,:D
    But you are right in the fact we seriously need a championship win over Mayo just to get that out of the system.
    Ye were not at your best yesterday, that's is true, but a couple of our lads didn't do themselves justice either.

Syferus wrote: »
    Time to stop digging and making a fool of yourself.

I simply asked was that regular behaviour from McStay, i was right behind him yesterday which is how i noticed it. Im not especially bothered by it just curious as it surprised me whereas McHale was much calmer than i would have expected/ In response another poster had a dig at COC in reply, jesus sorry lads, i'll leave ye to it. :rolleyes:

paulbok wrote: »
    No bother. :)
    I wouldn't be taking Curran as indicative of the general Roadie mindset for many, many reasons. He's looking to get into politics so will be spouting whatever populous guff gets him on the airwaves.
    You'll always have a few in every county who get in a position we are in now who are convinced well not only win the replay but also win the whole thing, but very few here think anything other that we have improved as a team and are heading in the right direction, that's it.
    You only have to look at Monaghan to see how hard it is to get to that top table, and I wouldn't have us as advanced as them. Yet ,:D
    But you are right in the fact we seriously need a championship win over Mayo just to get that out of the system.

Politics :pac: What party? Though ill hazard a guess at FF?

Politics :pac: What party? Though ill hazard a guess at FF?

Bang on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Brian Cody and Mickey Harte are famous for it. So it must be common to all great managers. Davy also.

Do you want a manager with passion? Or someone who couldn't be a*sed and just stands there saying nothing?

Advertisement