Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good move on management's part naming the team early again IMO.

All about the performance on Sunday. If we tear into the game like we did in the CF, we'll give ourselves a chance. Mayo haven't exactly set the world alight and I have a feeling they've got one eye on a semi final against Kerry. We haven't performed in Croker in a long time (bar a couple of league finals), so time to set that right.

I think your wrong there, it's not Galway ye are playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

What Roscommon need is a really big performance. On a par with the Galway match. If that happens then there's a good chance of the upset, but anything less just won't do. Mayo are too good, too experienced and too battle-hardened. They're still a serious outfit and worst of all they are used to beating Roscommon. They expect to beat us in the same way Roscommon expect to beat Leitrim.

I've no doubt Kevin has his homework done, as he was probably expecting, like most, that Roscommon would have been facing Mayo in the Connacht final. Hopefully he gets the matchups as good as he did last time.

The big worry for me is again the midfield and Aidan O'Shea axis. The experience and physical strength of these three will be hard for their Roscommon markers to cope with and Aidan O'Shea in particular is playing outstanding football at the moment. I expect John McManus to manmark him and he'll give it everything as usual, but hopefully he'll stay on his feet in the physical contacts instead of trying to dive in or burst him with a shoulder.

I think McInerney will be assigned to Cillian O'Connor as he is probably our best man-marker. Seanie on Andy Moran? Quite possibly.

I think if we can feed Diarmuid and Cian with good ball they can take advantage, especially whoever is on Cafferkey, who just doesn't seem as good as he used to be.

There's a lot of ifs and buts in there, but at the very least I want to see a hugely committed and competitive performance, cos another hammering would mean the Connacht championship win wasn't worth a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Good move on management's part naming the team early again IMO.

All about the performance on Sunday. If we tear into the game like we did in the CF, we'll give ourselves a chance. Mayo haven't exactly set the world alight and I have a feeling they've got one eye on a semi final against Kerry. We haven't performed in Croker in a long time (bar a couple of league finals), so time to set that right.

He is wrong, it's actually the final they have one eye on, here's Horan wondering how COC and the badge kisser will handle the way Dublin will be marking them!!

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/james-horan-cillian-oconnor-andy-moran-131374

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭gigantic09

AdpRo wrote: »
    He is wrong, it's actually the final they have one eye on, here's Horan wondering how COC and the badge kisser will handle the way Dublin will be marking them!!

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/james-horan-cillian-oconnor-andy-moran-131374

Is Horan back?.If yee manage to win Sunday it definitely won't be through complacency on Mayo's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Maybe, but a few posters on the Mayo forum are already talking about Kerry.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but a few posters on the Mayo forum are already talking about Kerry.

It doesn't matter what the posters on the Mayo forum think, they are not the ones playing the game.

It doesn't matter what the posters on the Mayo forum think, they are not the ones playing the game.

Yeah but you know what I'm getting at.

Yeah but you know what I'm getting at.

No I don't.

Are you suggesting that this Mayo team are taking Roscommon for granted, just like Galway did ?

Because if you are then you really don't know much about the mentality of Mayo teams in the last 6 years or so.

No I don't.

You do, you're just being awkward.

I don't think Mayo will take Roscommon for granted per se. I just think a lot of Mayo people will be expecting to have bigger fish to fry. Hard to blame them, they're used to seeing Mayo beat Ros. Just the way it is.

You post on the Mayo thread, you've seen people there talking about Kerry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No I don't.

Are you suggesting that this Mayo team are taking Roscommon for granted, just like Galway did ?

Because if you are then you really don't know much about the mentality of Mayo teams in the last 6 years or so.
    How can you be so sure that Galway took Roscommon for granted? maybe Roscommon did their homework on Galway and got their tactics spot on? Did Donegal take Galway for granted on Saturday or did Galway simply use their Connacht hurt to destroy a leg weary team that put a lot of effort into the league?

• Advertisement

How can you be so sure that Galway took Roscommon for granted? maybe Roscommon did their homework on Galway and got their tactics spot on? Did Donegal take Galway for granted on Saturday or did Galway simply use their Connacht hurt to destroy a leg weary team that put a lot of effort into the league?

Roscommon did their homework on Galway, there is no doubt about that, and I'd expect them to have it done on Mayo too.

But Sean Armstrong has suggested that Galway took Roscommon for granted.

Armstrong: Galway were complacent against Roscommon

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0724/892602-armstrong-galway-were-complacent-against-roscommon/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

not Roscommon's fault they were crap

kevin walsh has previous being caught by Ros in a final - Sligo 2010 and almost last year in salthill

and again this Sunday it's not Roscommon's fault mayo had to go to extra time.

Roscommon have already had two goes against Mayo this year and I'd be confident enough the management will have learned from those games

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

The queue this morning for tickets at the county board was unreal. Queued for 2 hours to get tickets, we're going to bring some crowd on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

blazermel wrote: »
    The queue this morning for tickets at the county board was unreal. Queued for 2 hours to get tickets, we're going to bring some crowd on Sunday!

There will be loads of tickets for Sunday. Cant see crowd much more than 45000. One warningthough. Roadworks on motorway between Athlone and Moate which means a diversion on Sunday. Will cause major delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

blazermel wrote: »

What kind of ticket did you get? I'm bringing the young lad with me but don't fancy going behind goals or to upper decks so was going to pay full price for him in order to get a decentish one on lower level Cusack or Hogan.

Tried gaa.ie but they have none up yet for either stand on lower level.

Was talking to a man this morning that hasn't gone to Croke Park since the All Ireland final in 1980 and he is going on Sunday!!

What kind of ticket did you get? I'm bringing the young lad with me but don't fancy going behind goals or to upper decks so was going to pay full price for him in order to get a decentish one on lower level Cusack or Hogan.

Was talking to a man this morning that hasn't gone to Croke Park since the All Ireland final in 1980 and he is going on Sunday!!

I got upper hogan, 732. They still had sections 301 and 302 in Cusack but no lower hogan. Also Davin and hill 16. I got an adult and a juvenile for Cusack 301 for a friend - they would be decent enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The vast majority of the "decentish" tickets in the lower stands, are sent directly to the county boards/clubs in the competing counties. A lot are also assigned to season ticket holders, of which Mayo have thousands. You may luck out later in the week, when the returns are sent back, (I'd be surprised if Kerry take up their full allocation,) but I wouldn't hold your breath on getting anything decent between the two 45's online.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The vast majority of the "decentish" tickets in the lower stands, are sent directly to the county boards/clubs in the competing counties. A lot are also assigned to season ticket holders, of which Mayo have thousands. You may luck out later in the week, when the returns are sent back, (I'd be surprised if Kerry take up their full allocation,) but I wouldn't hold your breath on getting anything between the two 45's online.

Thanks. I'm going to take a gamble and sit tight until the end of the week.

I just picked up 3 for 728 Upper Hogan. 4 rows back. Decent view from there. Looks like we'll bring a big crowd all right from what I'm seeing and hearing.

Are tickets bought in Supervalu a worse quality than ones bought from the County Board?

• Advertisement

I just picked up 3 for 728 Upper Hogan. 4 rows back. Decent view from there. Looks like we'll bring a big crowd all right from what I'm seeing and hearing.

Its great to see, great buzz up there today too. Should make for a fantastic atmosphere on Sunday anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭cuculainn

So for a lad who hasnt been to croker on a busy day since Meath bet Roscommon in 91

i assume with three teams going from the west it will be busy enough getting in......where do people plan on parking?

cuculainn wrote: »
    So for a lad who hasnt been to croker on a busy day since Meath bet Roscommon in 91

i assume with three teams going from the west it will be busy enough getting in......where do people plan on parking?

I'll be coming up on the train from Kilkenny on Sunday but what I usually do when coming from home is drive as far as Leixlip and park the car up at Louisa Bridge Station. Regular trains in from there and drops you right on Drumcondra. Ideal.

cuculainn wrote: »

Motorway closed between Athlone and Moate on Sunday so expect delays.

I have booked Cloniffe College Car Park as lately on street parking is a major problem with clamping.

Why not leave car at Maynooth and get train to Drumcondra? Will avoid all the traffic on way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Roscommon did their homework on Galway, there is no doubt about that, and I'd expect them to have it done on Mayo too.

But Sean Armstrong has suggested that Galway took Roscommon for granted.

Armstrong: Galway were complacent against Roscommon
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0724/892602-armstrong-galway-were-complacent-against-roscommon/
    Oh if Sean Armstrong said it.. that's it settled so... seriously what else did you expect him to say? Roscommon are nine points the better team than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Oldira wrote: »
    Motorway closed between Athlone and Moate on Sunday so expect delays.

I have booked Cloniffe College Car Park as lately on street parking is a major problem with clamping.

Why not leave car at Maynooth and get train to Drumcondra? Will avoid all the traffic on way home.

How did you pre book Clonliffe car park. Can't see anywhere.

BullBauld wrote: »
    How did you pre book Clonliffe car park. Can't see anywhere.

You can do it on gaa.ie In the purchase tickets section. I never had an issue paying on the gate as you drive in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

M50 will be very busy sunday evening at the M4 junction

avoid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The vast majority of the "decentish" tickets in the lower stands, are sent directly to the county boards/clubs in the competing counties. A lot are also assigned to season ticket holders, of which Mayo have thousands. You may luck out later in the week, when the returns are sent back, (I'd be surprised if Kerry take up their full allocation,) but I wouldn't hold your breath on getting anything decent between the two 45's online.

I wish I read your post earlier. I was booking this morning, shocked that the lower levels at Cusack and Hogan were not available. Knew that there would be a good crowd from Galway and Mayo (maybe not if they have gone to the last two games ) and huge crowd from Roscommon -but didn't think it would be that hard to get a ticket

Anyway, anyone know how bad is row v in the upper tier of Hogan Stand. (Section 729 does not seem too bad) Nose bleed seats ?

Galway and Westport trains will be fun :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Will the Fans from all four counties be kept seperate or will they be mixed

Advertisement