Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the death penalty?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    :rolleyes: There was no sand anywhere until you started with your patronising bull.

So I don't know what I'd do, but despite not knowing me you do? To the point where you explicitly tell me in a post that I'm wrong and you're right?

Absolute rubbish of the highest order.

Look, just agree to differ, quit trying to incorrectly correct me and once I get off the mobile onto a computer I'll hit ignore.

You're wrong - end of.
    I'm not telling you what you would do, only that you don't yet have the experience to know yourself. If you consider that "patronising bull" you have a very odd attitude.

I'm right, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I'm not telling you what you would do, only that you don't yet have the experience to know yourself. If you consider that "patronising bull" you have a very odd attitude.

I'm right, end of.
    Sorry but you are being patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lads, enough of the bickering please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

My view is straightforward: there shouldn't be any death penalty. Nobody has the ability to bring a dead person back to life, so nobody should have the authority to put somebody to death. In the end only God has the power of life and death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Sorry but you are being patronising.
    In fairness cc, is telling someone they don't have the experience to know how they would react in a certain situation being patronising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Thomas828 wrote: »
    My view is straightforward: there shouldn't be any death penalty. Nobody has the ability to bring a dead person back to life, so nobody should have the authority to put somebody to death. In the end only God has the power of life and death.

So why doesn't God A. prevent murders from happening, or B. smite down murderers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Numerous states in the US have the death penalty, and the violent crime rates there are much higher than most European countries - which not only do not allow the death penalty, but generally have more lenient sentencing guidelines. So I'm not convinced that there is any relationship between the severity of punishment and crime rates.

Singapore has capital punishment, and is seen as one of the safest nations on the planet with a low crime rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I would think that would be down to their strict laws in general rather than just CP alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canadian exile

Just a quick one to those that would say its cheaper to execute than to keep them in jail its actually not it costs three times more to execute someone in the states than to keep them locked up for life. What people fail to factor in are the legal costs that build up due to the dozens of appeals that have to be filed by law and heard by the courts all the way up to the supreme court in the US. There is a federal employee called a death clerk appointed to every capital punishment cases who will liaise with defense lawyers to ensure every possible appeal that can be filed has been filed. There is also the fact that many inmates can spend up to 15 years on death row where they cost even more than a normal prisoner due to increased security levels. The only way to make capital punishment financially justifiable would be to have no appeals process for the condemnd but thats getting into very murky territory

Advertisement