Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the death penalty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

No lock them up, with all their needs attended to, costing the tax payer 100,000 a year for high security. Then life does not mean life in this country, 4 years to 12 years is the avarage. The bad ones come out and do the same again, with nothing to fear but a warm bed and the best of grub and their bed linen is changed 2 times a week. free tv free everything free, they dont have to work if they dont want to.
    I have to stop there its sounding very tempting.
    If prison life is so ****ing fantastic and easy why don't you go there?
    I have no problem with the death penalty only in cases where there can be no doubt whatsoever of guilt.

I believe the world should be seriously looking at the use of eugenics and chemical castration in the cases of extreme repeat violent offenders .
    WTF
    First off, that's assuming that criminal behavior is genetic. That's quite a bold statement to be making without mountains of evidence.
    Second, what if the criminal already has children? "Ah sure fuuck it, kill em they'll never amount to anything."
    FUUCK THAT ENTIRELY
    Sorry about that, yes it was a rant.
    There are some people in my town, well known, who have killed many people, Yes they walk the streets, out shopping 2 months ago, I and the shop keeper spotted a certain individual across coming out of a shop across the way. We looked a each other with disbelief. This individual is responable for over half a dozen murders. And thats not including the herion hes pushing on kids who overdose.
    And no I dont think his going to find GOD soon.
    What do u think happens when u lock up someone like that.
    Do you think that society is safe from him now that hes locked away.
    No he finds more connections and organises hes murderous deeds
    while hes locked up safe in prison.
    Given me some logical thinking here I am dying to know.
    Oh sweet jesus
    I can guarantee that's bullshiit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Eh , is the death penalty not still there if you kill a guard? I just thought it wasn't enforced anymore.

Personally I'm pro the death penalty. The way I see it the less Fritzls and Breiviks we have in the world the better.

I certainly don't think Breivik would have been deterred by the prospect of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dlofnep wrote: »
    No - Because you can never be 100% certain of someone's guilt

Norway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I certainly don't think Breivik would have been deterred by the prospect of death.

He published his manifesto before he left the house, he'd accepted death as the likely outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There is no need for the death penalty, we have jails to keep people away from the public.

It was different in the past when prisoners could easily break out of jail, we just need tougher sentences and more spaces for criiminals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

murder doesn't fix murder, so no, I'm 100% against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Min wrote: »
    There is no need for the death penalty, we have jails to keep people away from the public.

It was different in the past when prisoners could easily break out of jail, we just need tougher sentences and more spaces for criminals.

Prisons are filling up,any prisoner whose powerful enough can get mobiles smuggled in,or use relatives to pass on death threats to the public outside,personally i would be in favour of sending them sort to the chair,society doesn't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

dlofnep wrote: »
    No - Because you can never be 100% certain of someone's guilt and 100% sure the system will catch the right person.

So there's a chance that Anders Behring Breivik is innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

If we execute somebody who has murdered we are extending the grief of innocent people. Murderers don't come from a family of murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

py2006 wrote: »
    If we execute somebody who has murdered we are extending the grief of innocent people. Murderers don't come from a family of murderers.

Did the murderer consider the shame and grief that they'd deliver to said family?

If someone in my family was guilty of murder then I'd cry no tears for them; probably wouldn't even go to the funeral.

The only exception to the above would be if they "murdered" some scumbag who raped or murdered a family member - then, of course, I'd be proud of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

Don't agree with it, but can understand the times when people would call for it. If it's ever introduced in Ireland it will be a HUGE step back.

Innocent people that are put in prison can be exhonerated and released. You can't bring an innocent person who was executed back from the dead. You can't teach people killing is wrong, and then go and kill someone and say it was in the name of the law.

I recommend this for viewing on the matter.

Anyone else get goose bumps when the credits were rolling??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The death penalty is too lenient. There is the possiblity of reincarnation.

Unfortunately prisoners here,particularly gang lords and murderers don't know how fortunate they are to been in soft irish system,uk they more likely been given an whole life sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Did the murderer consider the shame and grief that they'd deliver to said family?

If someone in my family was guilty of murder then I'd cry no tears for them; probably wouldn't even go to the funeral.

The only exception to the above would be if they "murdered" some scumbag who raped or murdered a family member - then, of course, I'd be proud of them.

Do you have a son or daughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

i think we would be kicked out of the EU if was introduced,interesting case in Ireland was man convicted in 1985 of cop murder,sentence of death was handed down,but it was then commuted to 40 years by the president at the time on advice of the attorney general.

The death penalty has been used for political gains in the states,example of bush jr having a "zero tolerance" approach when was governor of texas,it hasn't done much to deter crime.

US system is bit odd,your faith lies in geography,so depending on state your trial is in,you could get life or death penalty.

Would rather be in favour of uk system of a tariff system or whole life sentence along with the parole board having final say,not the irish system of the justice minister who has final say on parole boards finding who could be overruled by the next elected justice minister.

I covered that case for one of the nationals here. I remember a very strange, almost eerie feeling as I heard the sentence pronounced.

Later that evening I was having a beer-or-several with colleagues and discussing the case. I remember clearly recounting how - as a lefty-student type - I had protested outside the US Embassy in Grovesnor Sq in 1976 at the proposed lifting of the US's moratorium on capital punishment.

Having heard all the evidence in the Capital Murder trial that had ended only hours earlier my feelings on capital punishment had undergone a 180* volte face.

When one of the defendants made the decision to walk back to the (already-wounded) Garda (Sergeant if I remember) and put a bullet in his head he abdicated his right to be considered a human being!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this issue.

Murder is wrong. So it doesn't make sense to punish murderers with murder.

But then again - is killing always wrong?

We put animals down all the time because killing them is seen as the "humane" thing to do. Because they are suffering or in pain or because they have attacked a person and are likely to do so again.

More and more people are considering and debating euthanasia and the legality of helping someone to end their life. Isn't that also just killing?

I don't want to turn this into a debate about euthanasia and I'm not saying that killing criminals is the right thing to do. I'm just not sure why the death penalty is considered murder by some and killing by others?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

lace wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure where I stand on this issue.

Murder is wrong. So it doesn't make sense to punish murderers with murder.

But then again - is killing always wrong?

We put animals down all the time because killing them is seen as the "humane" thing to do. Because they are suffering or in pain or because they have attacked a person and are likely to do so again.
    More and more people are considering and debating euthanasia and the legality of helping someone to end their life. Isn't that also just killing?

I don't want to turn this into a debate about euthanasia and I'm not saying that killing criminals is the right thing to do. I'm just not sure why the death penalty is considered murder by some and killing by others?

Nail firmly on head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

lace wrote: »

I'm against the death penalty, but I don't consider it murder, because murder is purely a legal concept- the deliberate, unlawful killing of another human. The capital penalty can't be considered murder therefore, because it is sanctioned by law. However, that doesn't make it less wrong.
    PapaQuebec wrote: »
    Nail firmly on head!!

There are other ways to ensure that murderers do not go on to commit further offences- life imprisonment for example. I don't think we have to resort to killing people to eliminate recidivism. That problem can be solved by locking people up for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

Against

State has no right to take a person's life and you cannot bring back an innocent that's been executed.

Life should mean life in certain cases and people like Ian Huntley and Peter Sutcliffe and his ilk should not be turned into Tabloid media quasi celebrities, let them have a TV and a playstation but lock them up and forget about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

The killing of barman Noel Pipper. Ray Casey kicked and beat this old frail man, who had cancer. Ray caseys blood palm print was on the wall next to Noels boddy, Ray Casey used the wall as leverage when he was tired of kicking the man to death.
    Ray Casey walked the streets for over 4 years before a conviction.
    Out on bail of course, we would not want to offend his rights.
    What about the rights of Noel Pipper and his family. OH yes he has none
    because Ray Casey murdered him for a few euros.
    Heres what the guards has to say about Ray Casey, Quote
    But Casey didn't run with the bigger gangs that were waging a turf war to control Limerick's underworld. Ironically, he was viewed as "too dangerous, even by the most bloodthirsty of them. Ninety-nine per cent of them wouldn't touch him", according to a senior garda source. Unquote
    Considered the most evil physopathic around and the JUDGE leaves
    him out on bail.
    OVER 4 YEARS WALKING THE STREETS ON BAIL.

The killing of barman Noel Pipper. Ray Casey kicked and beat this old frail man, who had cancer. Ray caseys blood palm print was on the wall next to Noels boddy, Ray Casey used the wall as leverage when he was tired of kicking the man to death.
    But Casey didn't run with the bigger gangs that were waging a turf war to control Limerick's underworld. Ironically, he was viewed as "too dangerous, even by the most bloodthirsty of them. Ninety-nine per cent of them wouldn't touch him", according to a senior garda source. Unquote
    him out on bail.

Exactly what does that have to do with the death penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

him out on bail.

He was out on bail because he hadn't been convicted of anything. Does the concept of innocence until guilt has been proven mean nothing to you? What if he had been locked away for four years, and then found innocent of the crime?

Exactly what does that have to do with the death penalty?
    It goes to show the legal system here, the courts will leave you out on
    bail even with a blood palm print.
    GOOGLE; Ray Casey/limerick, and tell me than that his innocent, look up the case.
    So are you saying the courts are right to give him bail? innocent before and all that.

So nothing to do with the death penalty, just off-topic rambling. Ok, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

All for it. Wish it had happened to a few people in the past.

So nothing to do with the death penalty, just off-topic rambling. Ok, thanks.
    You never looked up the case, I Think your the one whos rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Einhard wrote: »

There are other ways to ensure that murderers do not go on to commit further offences- life imprisonment for example.

Not True.

1. People are murdered in prisons all the time. Innocent people, or even non-violent criminals are exposed to dangerous murderers in prisons all day - wardens who have to feed and exercise them, doctors who have to treat them, and visitors who may want to visit them.

2. Prisoners have access to phones - wasn't there was a few who had bebo accounts a few years back - and can communicate to others on the outside to do their dirty work.

3. There is still, miniscule as it may be, the possibility of escape.

The only 100% certain way to ensure that a person won't re-offend is to end his life.

I've wrestled with my views on the Death Penalty for years, and while I fully believe that to take an innocent life means forefeiting your own, and I absolutely disagree with the arguement that the killing of a murderer is equal to the killing of an innocent, I don't know if I'd be comfortable living in a country where you could have your life ended for being wrongly convicted of a very serious crime. It's a tough one.

GOOGLE; Ray Casey/limerick, and tell me than that his innocent, look up the case.
    So are you saying the courts are right to give him bail? innocent before and all that.

i think a person is entitled to bail,its up the judge to decide,there's been many fck ups,this evil monster was out on bail when he committed murder-

http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/victim-describes-galway-rapist-as-human-predator-1831416.html

• Advertisement

i think a person is entitled to bail,its up the judge to decide,there's been many fck ups,this evil monster was out on bail when he committed murder-

http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/victim-describes-galway-rapist-as-human-predator-1831416.html

And you still agree with bail for this monster ? I really cant understand that.

Advertisement