Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the death penalty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

bnt wrote: »
    Note that I'm not saying I support the death penalty today: I'm saying that if you're going to use the "deterrent" argument either way, the USA is a bad example of how a death penalty works (or not).

You quote Ayn Rand in your signature. Wasn't she in favour of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Einhard wrote: »
    It's entirely wrong, in all circumstances, and yes, before someone brings it up, if someone murdered my family I'd think the same way.

I think I'd want them dead and I'm vehemently anti death penalty.

Some people would mete out death verdicts on people for parking in front of their gates.

That's why we should never leave justice to individuals. It should always be a community thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

some people who commit murder are genuinely remorsefull, go to prison
    come out and lead a life thats useful to society.
    Than there is the scumbag who has not the backbone to do
    a days work, a coward by nature, who thinks if he kills someone
    he will be a man. I see these boys walking the street, all of a sudden
    they have a swagger, alook in their eyes as to say I am a hardman,bigman
    dont mess with me. They wont kill one of their own, they would not have the balls, some young innocent man at a party or passing on the street.
    And its a blade in the back.
    That look like dont mess with me is a cowards look, their afraid.
    People that dont live in the inner city and are not living with these scumbags like to put logic and reason to their argument saying I read in the paper that someones parents dont want revenge.
    I LIVE around these parents and dam yes 90% of these parents
    and there brothers and relatives want these scumbags dead.
    And the liberals will say,society is to blame.
    yes scumbag your not responsible we asked you to pick up that blade
    go out and look for some innocent kid to kill and wreck his familys life.
    The poor sensitive scumbag might be offended by this,so lets give him all
    his rights,that his victim will never see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

looky loo wrote: »
    Tell that to the parents of the kids killed in Oslo, Norway. I hope he gets the death penalty, or better yet, send him out in the woods and have hunters track him with guns, on an island, the same way he treated those poor people.

If Norways does that we are only gonna end up on the same level as Anders Brevik,and thats no point in that.:D
    And Norways democracy is far to strong to even consider bringing in a death penalty.
    Although in this case i am sure hes better of spending the rest of his days in Prison with nightmares of his brutal crimes.
    I am also sure he will make many new friends in Prison:rolleyes:
    Cause no Norwegian has managed to become the most hated man in Norway in less than 2 hours,since Quisling:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

If Norways does that we are only gonna end up on the same level as Anders Brevik,and thats no point in that.:D
    And Norways democracy is far to strong to even consider bringing in a death penalty.
    Although in this case i am sure hes better of spending the rest of his days in Prison with nightmares of his brutal crimes.
    I am also sure he will make many new friends in Prison:rolleyes:
    Cause no Norwegian has managed to become the most hated man in Norway in less than 2 hours,since Quisling:mad:

Yeah I know got a bit over excited in my previous post, just feel bad for the people who have lost loved ones. Hope he makes loads of friends in prison :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

looky loo wrote: »
    Yeah I know got a bit over excited in my previous post, just feel bad for the people who have lost loved ones. Hope he makes loads of friends in prison :rolleyes:

I understand your reaction perfectly well,there is also nearly 5 million Norwegains that did the same,including myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Two main points for me voting no.

1. there has been enough instances where guilty people who would have got the death sentence have been exonerated.

2. it has been shown in the states that its actually more expensive to give someone the death sentence then to let them serve life, due to the numerous appeals which are very costly.

used to believe in the death sentence , but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Kirby wrote: »
    You quote Ayn Rand in your signature. Wasn't she in favour of it?
    Dunno. Is that relevant? I agree with the quote ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Here's wikipedia's list of contries that carried out executions in 2010:

People's Republic of China
    Iran
    North Korea
    Yemen
    United States
    Saudi Arabia
    Libya
    Syria
    Bangladesh
    Somalia
    Sudan
    Palestinian National Authority
    Egypt
    Equatorial Guinea
    Republic of China (Taiwan)
    Belarus
    Japan
    Iraq
    Malaysia
    Bahrain
    Botswana
    Singapore
    Vietnam

Let's throw political correctness and cultural relativism out the window here. With the possible exception of the US, Japan and Singapore, this is a list of the world's backwards loser countries.

We're better than these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

1—I consider human life to be intrinsically sacred, and I do not believe the state should engage in the systemized taking of human life. Two—Our judicial system is flawed. We wrongly convict over 10,000 people a year, some of whom are sentenced to die. Now, you can always release an exonerated man from prison, but bringin’ him back from death has proven to be trickier. DNA has already cleared a hundred men, many on death row. Clearly, something isn’t working. If my child was murdered I’d like to kill whoever did it myself. And if I ever came face-to-face with the guy, I couldn’t guarantee any of you that I wouldn’t kill him. But if I did, it would be wrong. And for the State to kill reflectively, absent emotion, on ceremony, it is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Fremen wrote: »
    Here's wikipedia's list of contries that carried out executions in 2010:

People's Republic of China
    Iran
    North Korea
    Yemen
    United States
    Saudi Arabia
    Libya
    Syria
    Bangladesh
    Somalia
    Sudan
    Palestinian National Autho
    Egypt
    Equatorial Guinea
    Republic of China (Taiwan)
    Belarus
    Japan
    Iraq
    Malaysia
    Bahrain
    Botswana
    Singapore
    Vietnam

Let's throw political correctness and cultural relativism out the window here. With the possible exception of the US, Japan and Singapore, this is a list of the world's backwards loser countries.

We're better than these places.

In what way are we better than these places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

In what way are we better than these places

Many of them have very poor human rights records for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Shelflife wrote: »
    Two main points for me voting no.

1. there has been enough instances where guilty people who would have got the death sentence have been exonerated.

Then use a "3 strikes" rule. The same person wouldn't be incorrectly convicted 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jiggawigga

Some retarded do-gooder attitudes here.

A few facts:
    • No justice system can guarantee they have convicted the right person.
    • Some people commit once off crimes - murder for example, go to prison and by the time they are released they are reformed.
    • Some people kill purely by accident.
    • The countries on the list who still carry out executions are for the most part at the lower end of the economic league table.

Another fact:

If someone killed your entire family and was categorically guilty they will go to jail. The tax payers of this ****ed up country will have to cover the cost of this. The murderer will live. Your family is gone. Forever.

So...

F*ck that. Of course there should be a death penalty. They should be killed. In the most cost effective way possible. As fast as possible. Nature is not perfect. Some people are broken beyond repair psychologically. They should be removed from the planet.

Not only would it remove some of these pieces of **** that shouldn't be allowed to breath. But it would deter others and save the country money. "Step back" me arse.

Also those of you that say the death penalty is "barbaric" are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

jiggawigga wrote: »

A few facts:
    • No justice system can guarantee they have convicted the right person.
    • Some people commit once off crimes - murder for example, go to prison and by the time they are released they are reformed.
    • Some people kill purely by accident.
    • The countries on the list who still carry out executions are for the most part at the lower end of the economic league table.

Another fact:

If someone killed your entire family and was categorically guilty they will go to jail. The tax payers of this ****ed up country will have to cover the cost of this. The murderer will live. Your family is gone. Forever.

So...

F*ck that. Of course there should be a death penalty. They should be killed. In the most cost effective way possible. As fast as possible. Nature is not perfect. Some people are broken beyond repair psychologically. They should be removed from the planet.

Not only would it remove some of these pieces of **** that shouldn't be allowed to breath. But it would deter others and save the country money. "Step back" me arse.

I disagree with you. By your rules, I now get to call you a retard and an idiot. See how that works?

As for the deterrent argument - if that had any truth, societies would have got less violent as more people were executed, but they didn't. What were you saying about a retarded attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

Is it barbaric for the state to consider the deeds of someone and after much thought ( trials etc..) execute them? why is it that if an individual does this it is considered pre-mediated murdered and the purpotrator is considered a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

jiggawigga wrote: »

...some ill thought-out nonsense...

How about you come back when you can make a point with out insulting the people you're arguing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm rigidly opposed to the death penalty. I feel it's an antediluvian form of punishment which should be banned on a human rights basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm rigidly opposed to the death penalty. I feel it's an antediluvian form of punishment which should be banned on a human rights basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

We had a referendum in 2001 on whether to abolish the death penalty. The result was...

Yes - 62.08%

No - 37.92%

Which, so far, is pretty close to this threads poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

If people want to see murderers walking around and getting off scot free just bring in the death penalty.
    What happens is, in a case where a guilty verdict means execution the jury is less likely to give this verdict. In Britain rape used to be an executable offence and as soon as this was removed the rate of convictions for rape soared.

What gets me about people who advocate death as an ultimate punishment, is that it is more of a punishment to live locked up for life than given the release of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Murderers, rapists, traitors and all current politicians should get the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Murderers, rapists, traitors and all current politicians should get the death penalty.

...traitors???

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/07/norwegian-v-american-justice

There's an excellent article related to this topic here, compares the Norwegian and US prison systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

gaf1983 wrote: »
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/07/norwegian-v-american-justice

There's an excellent article related to this topic here, compares the Norwegian and US prison systems.

While it seems to be effective in Norway, talking to a Garda friend of mine he sayd that the criminals in this country already have it too soft in the prisons, so much so that they commit crime without the fear of being sent to the prisons in Ireland because they will either be out early, or they're going to have a grand time, from the horses mouth "working out, learning a trade, and dealing inside information and techniques used by the "professionals"".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    ...traitors???

yes.. like the greedy bankers

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

For any of you who are in favour, I propose making a register for execution duty, similar to jury duty. Would you be prepared to fit the noose and pull the lever?, would you administer the injection?, would you release the gas?, would you pull the trigger? Could you do any of those thing and go home thinking that you had done good thing? IMO no civilized person could answer yes to any of the above. If my entire family was slaughtered would I want the perpetrator killed, my initial rage and thirst for vengeance would say yes, would I be prepared to do it myself, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

The Orb wrote: »
    For any of you who are in favour, I propose making a register for execution duty, similar to jury duty. Would you be prepared to fit the noose and pull the lever?, would you administer the injection?, would you release the gas?, would you pull the trigger? Could you do any of those thing and go home thinking that you had done good thing? IMO no civilized person could answer yes to any of the above. If my entire family was slaughtered would I want the perpetrator killed, my initial rage and thirst for vengeance would say yes, would I be prepared to do it myself, no.

Sadly, I doubt you'll achieve the effect you wanted with this post and lots of keyboards warriors will tell you they'd love it and would be well able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The amount of convictions that are 100% certain is absolutely miniscule. Witnesses and ridiculously fallible, have a look at what some of them said when the cops killed that Brazilian lad in London a few years ago. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. Bearing that kind of fallibility in mind along with the ridiculous decisions handed down by many juries, police actively seeking convictions and so on and I wouldn't want to live somewhere that had the death penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Eh , is the death penalty not still there if you kill a guard? I just thought it wasn't enforced anymore.

Personally I'm pro the death penalty. The way I see it the less Fritzls and Breiviks we have in the world the better.

Advertisement