Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroes of Newerth is now free

Options
  • 29-07-2011 4:36pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In a similar vein to LoL you will now have to unlock heroes bu the plus is that the game is free :D

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

In a similar vein to LoL you will now have to unlock heroes bu the plus is that the game is free :D

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

Just made a smurf account for the lulz, I am interested to see the heroes they have on rotation, a pool of 15 is very restictive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tis indeed but as your earn them you get them for good so it should be cool, and it's a good way to learn each hero, when you are restricted to them, and so are the people you are playing.

tis indeed but as your earn them you get them for good so it should be cool, and it's a good way to learn each hero, when you are restricted to them, and so are the people you are playing.

True but I have been playing for a while now :p

So all the people with acounts already now have legacy accounts with all the heroes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yep that's basically it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh ffs. now the game is going to be truly unplayable

• Advertisement

the new lads cant play with the legacy players til they earn it, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I like this. It means the players who have bought it before get to keep all the same benefits like free heroes and have a larger playerbase.

All the new players wont be able to play with legacy players until they have racked up enough wins or game time i think so there wont be any new griefers or anything.

Limericks wrote: »
    All the new players wont be able to play with legacy players until they have racked up enough wins or game time i think so there wont be any new griefers or anything.

I made a smurf to see the free hero rotation for a game or two, and the amount of smurfing is ridiculous, I assume this will fizzle out, but on their first rotation they put both Fayde and Blood Hunter which I think is funny as both are notorious pub stomp chars, and the only true supports are Plague rider, Matyr and Engie.

I then logged back into my legacy account to enjoy all the characters :P

Peak time 55-60k yday, as opposed to the normal 40, which is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ye i see alot of smurf too XD lucky i always play with mates in normal mode :P

defo should try this out while waiting for dota2. i was lucky to buy it at 10$ and now i play mostly hon :S the balance is a mess but at least it gives you something new and fun.

also you can play with legacy player if they chose to play 'unverified' game i think. i met alot 'basic' acc players.

dota2 will wipe the floor with hon and lol, already a 1000000 tourney announced by valve, before the game even comes out

http://www.dota2.com/

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    ye i see alot of smurf too XD lucky i always play with mates in normal mode :P

defo should try this out while waiting for dota2. i was lucky to buy it at 10$ and now i play mostly hon :S the balance is a mess but at least it gives you something new and fun.

also you can play with legacy player if they chose to play 'unverified' game i think. i met alot 'basic' acc players.

Lucky you got the foot in the door, aye it will be closer to Dota 2 then LoL would be, I am not so sure I agree with the balance, I just think HoN rewards more for good choices while punishes bad choices or judgment calls harder

dota2 will wipe the floor with hon and lol, already a 1000000 tourney announced by valve, before the game even comes out

http://www.dota2.com/

Aye I can't wait to see it to be honest, 1mil for a competition is nuts ! Givf me back my Techies !

i hate the techies, god damn

i hate the techies, god damn

Well my favorite in both HoN and Dota was always revenant / CD or tundra / rexxar

What is interesting, is the new S2 original hero's, while most people think they may be underpowered or crap, is that I find most of them actually fun !

Myrm - one of the best supporters there is

Sil - great solo lane/ranged carry

Matyr - Ok maybe not great in competitive games but can really have alot of
    fun in pub games with the right team

Parasite - only recently starting doing this, but we put parasite jungle, and Plague rider solo short lane, use parasite and plague to deny two creeps from the first wave, and some every so often ! Completely screw their long lane as well as being great for ganking if you hop in a minotaur.

and Engie is still one of my favourite for laning !

Not sure about the others but it takes time for strats to come into play

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Created an account there.

I remember playing back in beta for ages, but cant genuinely remember the game tbh.

Interesting to see it compared to LoL, which I'm playing alot more in recent weeks.

I hear the community is just basicaly a pack of *****, so I might avoid it entirely, but sure F2P cant hurt to try it out

TheDoc wrote: »
    Interesting to see it compared to LoL, which I'm playing alot more in recent weeks.

I hear the community is just basically a pack of *****, so I might avoid it entirely, but sure F2P cant hurt to try it out

I have played both and I can tell you that both community's have their share of *****'s, the major difference being HoN is a lot less forgiving, you can be stunlocked and insta killed as low as level 3 against the wrong heroes and you lose money on death which tends to add alot to the nerd rage.

One thing I can say is the first few games you will play on a free account don't accurately capture a proper game of HoN, think back to your first few LoL games between say level 1-10. The heroes rotation thing also further restricts people the proper HoN experience, but I guess it makes it newbie friendly like in league where you only have to learn a few heroes at a time with the rotations.

Best advise I can give is not to play Chronos I seen him picked in every single game when I made a smurf, he is a hard carry that is tragically weak early game and requires you to spend almost 30-40 minutes farming to get to his peak meanwhile item independent characters like plague rider are great to learn with as they are quite easy to get kills with early game

havent played much before, but just made an account and played my first game as fayde, fun times, 1 kd, score :P the shop is WAY better than i remember

havent played much before, but just made an account and played my first game as fayde, fun times, 1 kd, score :P the shop is WAY better than i remember

Aye shop got a revamp, I like the new one, but of course alot of people don't.

Pffft Fayde is a pub stomp char I would expect a 10/1 kd :p Dagon and win man !

it took me ages to even figure out how to buy something! i did get one in the end but it was too late!

it took me ages to even figure out how to buy something! i did get one in the end but it was too late!

Did you mid ?

nope! won my second game with a 2 kd, yes bois! bloodhunter :p

• Advertisement

nope! won my second game with a 2 kd, yes bois! bloodhunter :p

Win with Chronos / Void, when I played him on my smurf I went mid against a puppet master and wiped the floor with him !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its all about the trilane yo

and of course Robocop!!!! (flux)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i just did tuturial.

i got lost in menus, stats, walls of text lol.

really damn hard to see difference between your creeps and enemies as health bars are indentical and same color. ( when creeps swarm up)

has such a different feel from LoL... not having cast range bubbles is really bad for me. :(

i am afraid to go for a game, as it looks way more complicated then LoL. :o

how do you deny gold btw?

i just did tuturial.

i got lost in menus, stats, walls of text lol.

really damn hard to see difference between your creeps and enemies as health bars are indentical and same color. ( when creeps swarm up)

has such a different feel from LoL... not having cast range bubbles is really bad for me. :(

i am afraid to go for a game, as it looks way more complicated then LoL. :o

how do you deny gold btw?

Aye it comes off as more rough around the edges and no fancy reticules for skills shots haha,

To deny you have to press A ( default ) for force attack, and click your creep

Its not much more complex then LoL really ( after having played LoL ) Its just less forgiving, give it a go anyways, just please don't judge it by your first game like most people I have talked too have done :/ Just think back to the first few games of LoL you played and ask yourself did they represent the game fully :)

The characters take a little bit more time to save for a think, the cheapest is 65 silver so you could get that in a day but the character is the hardest of the hard carries :/ Sand wraith , I wept when I seen a person who had 10 games buy and play him.

Beware of the smurfs though, they are running rampant at the moment as its been only 5 or so days since it went F2P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Aye it comes off as more rough around the edges and no fancy reticules for skills shots haha,

To deny you have to press A ( default ) for force attack, and click your creep

Its not much more complex then LoL really ( after having played LoL ) Its just less forgiving, give it a go anyways, just please don't judge it by your first game like most people I have talked too have done :/ Just think back to the first few games of LoL you played and ask yourself did they represent the game fully :)

The characters take a little bit more time to save for a think, the cheapest is 65 silver so you could get that in a day but the character is the hardest of the hard carries :/ Sand wraith , I wept when I seen a person who had 10 games buy and play him.

Beware of the smurfs though, they are running rampant at the moment as its been only 5 or so days since it went F2P

are smurfs, the people who are high level and made new chars just to troll and make newbie life agony?

i liked to play vs bots in lol. if i did stupid thing, it would mean only 4 people pissed off, not 4 nerdraging and 5 abusing me for being a noob lol :p.

i have to say - it looks really really great. graphics are just amazing, but i still like basic LoL too, as you dont get distracted by visuals.

lots of smurfs, yep they do that. just make a game and kick people with good stats :p

Im doing so ****, .6kd or something, lot of learning involved, been a couple of years since dota. so you have to buy each hero? ive played 5 and have 53 silvers. would take forever to earn each!

lots of smurfs, yep they do that. just make a game and kick people with good stats :p

Im doing so ****, .6kd or something, lot of learning involved, been a couple of years since dota. so you have to buy each hero? ive played 5 and have 53 silvers. would take forever to earn each!

some heroes are 650 lol

are smurfs, the people who are high level and made new chars just to troll and make newbie life agony?

Yep, I have to admit to doing on Sunday as well after I play a particularly bad few games :(
    i liked to play vs bots in lol. if i did stupid thing, it would mean only 4 people pissed off, not 4 nerdraging and 5 abusing me for being a noob lol :p.

Nerd rage is inevitable in a game where there has to be one winning and one losing team I think :( HoN is really really bad for it, and the smurfs make it worse, as if they where not there both teams would not be good enough to rage.
    as you dont get distracted by visuals.

Wait until you see one of the newer heroes called Revenant, his spells make it a complete cluster **** :o although You get used to it

some heroes are 650 lol

Aye,

Pudge is 250 tho so save up for him and stomp :P

• Advertisement

Is tidebringer in it? or sand king, mortred?

i want puck/bubbles!

Advertisement