Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Hah! I actually say you take this photo and thought to myself at the time "I bet that guy knows The Wanderer". Small world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

dregin wrote: »
    Hah! I actually say you take this photo and thought to myself at the time "I bet that guy knows The Wanderer". Small world :D

Were you driving the 071?

jca wrote: »
    Were you driving the 071?
    The image I refer to is of the LUAS @ Connolly further down the page :) That 071 is part of the site's header, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Hmmm can't go anywhere.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Evening all,

Todays efforts include 071 hauling Ballast Cleaner 780 from Portarlington to Limerick Jct. at Carn and Enterprise 233 working the 1130 Waterford - Westport Ety. Timber.
    Click http://smu.gs/1zQhuDD to view.

The Wanderer.

DSC_0295-M.jpg
    It's great this movement was recorded, that yoke has a strange history, ''jaws'' 740, up on blocks in Mullingar for years, then Thursday September 11th 2008 it's hauled by 077 from Mullingar to Portarlington where it's parked up for another few years becoming part of the furniture, it even got a fresh coat of paint, now it's on the move again, where it's final destination Wanderer, is it heading for the scrap yard or long term storage, I can't see ''jaws'' ever working again.
    Regards
    h.gricer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

h.gricer wrote: »
    It's great this movement was recorded, that yoke has a strange history, ''jaws'' 740, up on blocks in Mullingar for years, then Thursday September 11th 2008 it's hauled by 077 from Mullingar to Portarlington where it's parked up for another few years becoming part of the furniture, it even got a fresh coat of paint, now it's on the move again, where it's final destination Wanderer, is it heading for the scrap yard or long term storage, I can't see ''jaws'' ever working again.
    Regards
    h.gricer

When in Mullingar 780s bogies were sent away for overhaul, whilst a mechanical overhaul was conducted on site, strange that such a location was chosen rather than Kildare, Inchicore, Portlaoise or Limerick Jnc? I often wonder if it actually did any work after that and why she was overhauled only to see little/no work and then a new ballast cleaner was bought (781), I believe both machines have seen very little work, is it possible that both machines have actually done more work for NIR? (780 is still jointly owned by NIR).

A €10M ballast cleaning programme will be undertaken this year on the Cork line, perhaps 780 is to be worked on at Limerick Jnc to return it to service for this alongside 781? Any ideas Wanderer?

GM228

Good morning folks,

A visit to Dublin to visit Reilly's Level Crossing XG002 before closure, IWT Liner passing Cabra and a visit to M3 Parkway along with Portlaoise and Portarlington.
    Click http://smu.gs/1upZz4v to view.

The LUAS Cross City route was also walked and pictures from that are in the LUAS Cross City gallery at http://smu.gs/1DroKFF

The Wanderer.

DSC_0483-M.jpg

DSC_0345-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Hi all,
    I have uploaded my first photos of this year 2015, they can be viewed here.

As with these days, its mainly freight and PWD workings!:cool:
    16363131732_823fcea8ec_n.jpgIE 084, Drogheda - NW HOBS, Gormanston by Eiretrains, on Flickr

16210888110_84382e2df4_n.jpgIE 077 IWT Liner - Drumcondra by Eiretrains, on Flickr

16451189572_e0bb94956e_n.jpgIE 077 IWT, East Wall by Eiretrains, on Flickr

16288329367_61568e8691_n.jpgIE 086 HOBS, East Wall by Eiretrains, on Flickr

16307161220_93592374ae_n.jpgIE 233 IWT, East Wall, Dublin Port by Eiretrains, on Flickr

Thanks for looking;)

Pretty remote out there!

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

I was in the West of Ireland for the weekend and here is a selection of photos from:
    - Knockcroghery.
    - Claremorris.
    - Barrackland Level Crossing.

Also included is a couple of images from today at Rosskelton during lunch time.

Click http://smu.gs/1vzK9Wt to view.

The Wanderer.

DSC_0631-M.jpg

Evening folks,

A few images from a trip to Kerry today.

Includes:

- Unloading the muck at Portarlington.
    - Portlaoise
    - Mallow
    - Killarney.

Click http://smu.gs/1z5z1RA to view.

The Wanderer.

DSC_0823-M.jpg

Evening all,

A few images from around the Killarney area today.

Click http://smu.gs/1zvAWA0 to view.

The Wanderer.

DSC_0846-M.jpg

Evening all,

The final batch of pictures from the weekend in Killarney have now been uploaded.

Click http://smu.gs/1AymPN6 to view.

The Wanderer.

20150220_203443-M.jpg

Most of you've probably already seen this, but it's been floating around facebook and thought someone may have missed out: http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Irish-railways

Some great shots and nice history to go along with each one.

A flying visit to Kildare at lunch time to see 226 on the 1130 Waterford - Westport Timber.

Click http://smu.gs/1AGXErZ

The Wanderer.

Evening all,

206 was released to traffic on Monday 23rd February in its brand new striking "Enterprise" livery when it went L.E. from Inchicore to Kildare to take over the 1130 Waterford - Ballina Ety. Timber. It caught everybody out as it was rumoured to be allocated to the 0935 IWT Liner from North Wall but 218 worked this instead.

On Wednesday 25th, it returned from the West of Ireland with the 1140 Ballina - North Wall IWT Liner and I photographed it at Portarlington and Killenard. Today's update also contains photos from Corroy near Ballina from a contributor.

Click http://smu.gs/1DbdYzo to view.

DSC_0932-M.jpg

Evening all,

206 was released to traffic on Monday 23rd February in its brand new striking "Enterprise" livery when it went L.E. from Inchicore to Kildare to take over the 1130 Waterford - Ballina Ety. Timber. It caught everybody out as it was rumoured to be allocated to the 0935 IWT Liner from North Wall but 218 worked this instead.

On Wednesday 25th, it returned from the West of Ireland with the 1140 Ballina - North Wall IWT Liner and I photographed it at Portarlington and Killenard. Today's update also contains photos from Corroy near Ballina from a contributor.

Click http://smu.gs/1DbdYzo to view.

DSC_0932-M.jpg

206 was released into traffic before Monday as it was in Connolly on Sunday moving around.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    206 was released into traffic before Monday as it was in Connolly on Sunday moving around.

GM228

Ah so it did get over to Connolly to collect 077 then. That was supposed to happen on Saturday but never took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ah so it did get over to Connolly to collect 077 then. That was supposed to happen on Saturday but never took place.

There really was no rush on fixing 077 was there. I saw there from Monday the 16th. No demand for 071s it seems.

I saw 233 getting back into Enterprise diagrams on Monday afternoon, backing on to a set. Would have thought the 201 coming off and going to Inchicore would have taken 077 with it then instead of leaving there for a week.

• Advertisement

Not sure what it was doing but it was moving around when I passed on a DART Sunday afternoon. Hard to miss that livery. 077 was there also so don't know if 206 brought it to Inchicore or not.

GM228

Good evening folks,

Today saw the first day of the Cork Line Improvement Works which are to take place over 17 weekends between now and November. Single Line Working was in operation over the Down Road between Hazelhatch and Sallins.

Here is a selection of pictures and videos from the day at:
    - Adamstown.
    - Hazelhatch. Bay Platform sees its first regular operation with an hourly service to/from Heuston.
    - Straffan (site of Ballast Cleaning work today).
    - Sallins.
    - Newbridge Ballast Pit.
    - Killenard.
    - Portarlington.

The highlights of the day was a top and tailed ballast train with 075 & 088. The first use of such a method of working for Iarnrod Eireann, despite it being common in the U.K. for several years now. Plus 206 in its new "Enterprise" livery made another trip west to Ballina with the I.W.T. Liner from Dublin's North Wall.

Pictures start at http://smu.gs/1E3EYF6

Enjoy,
    The Wanderer.

DSC_1128-S.jpg

DSC_1151-S.jpg

DSC_1247-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

In relation to the above photos from The Wanderer; with a 071 class both ends of the ballast train..... is this simply to allow one loco to pull the train in one direction and the other to pull it the other thus no run around required??? Is it this simple???

Cheers folks,
    Islanderre

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

islanderre wrote: »
    In relation to the above photos from The Wanderer; with a 071 class both ends of the ballast train..... is this simply to allow one loco to pull the train in one direction and the other to pull it the other thus no run around required??? Is it this simple???

Cheers folks,
    Islanderre
    probably. it would also allow the train to be moved if one of the locos had a problem. but maybe its something different

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

probably. it would also allow the train to be moved if one of the locos had a problem. but maybe its something different

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the wanderer meant that both locos are powering the train all the time. Certainly are first in Ireland. The ballast wagons must have a communications pipe/cord running the length of the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the wanderer meant that both locos are powering the train all the time. Certainly are first in Ireland. The ballast wagons must have a communications pipe/cord running the length of the train.
    yeah, could be that also. its handy either way for a multitude of reasons

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

No it's top n tailed with only one loco actually powering the train depending on the direction of travel.

Up to now this has not been permitted but special permission was given to operate the ballast this way due to the nature and location of the work involved.

There is no through communication cords on the wagons to enable multiple working.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

GM228 wrote: »
    No it's top n tailed with only one loco actually powering the train depending on the direction of travel.

Up to now this has not been permitted but special permission was given to operate the ballast this way due to the nature and location of the work involved.

Is it not just the same condition as a failed loco being hauled at the rear of a train?

Mk4 and Enterprise sets have been hauled with the failed loco dead at the rear of the train.

Is it not just the same condition as a failed loco being hauled at the rear of a train?

Mk4 and Enterprise sets have been hauled with the failed loco dead at the rear of the train.

More or less the same. Not normally permitted though unless in a failure situation, hence why special permission was granted.

GM228

• Advertisement

The Examiner have just released a few photos from their archives: http://i315.tifmember.com/v/photos/28982wfk/C17457810

Included are the following:
    - The first electric tram into Blackrock village, Cork in 1902 old black and white
    - Launch of Great Southern Railway mail train service at Lower Glanmire Road (now Kent) railway station, Cork 17/07/1939 Ref. 373C old black and white G.S.R. steam locomotives engines
    - One of the last trains to leave Cork city on the Muskerry line before its closure, seen passing gates of U.C.C on the Western Road 30/12/1934 Ref. 445B Old black and white

Advertisement