Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

Weekends have been made much more interesting with the operation of the IWT Liner from North Wall to Ballina and the Coillte Empty Timber train from Waterford to Ballina on certain Saturdays. Both operated today. While I couldn't make it out for the IWT Liner I did manage to photograph the Timber at several locations in the Kildare, Laois and Offaly areas.
    These pictures are now online at: http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/August-2013#!/i-hVMmz67
    I've also launched a new facebook page for the website at https://www.facebook.com/thewandererphotos . If you're on facebook come and pay a visit.

Enjoy,
    The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Temp101 wrote: »
    There was no junction at Shanganagh before 1915. The single line from the Killiney direction continued beside the pair from Shankill (on the Harcourt Street line) into Bray.

Edit: There was one from 1861 to 1877 - should have remembered that! The three line arrangement lasted from 1877 to 1915 when the deviation opened.
    I think colloquially it's basically Shanganagh Jct as most people would refer to it. There are other examples of named 'junctions' which were/never/or no longer physical, places like Dunkitt Junction and Fenit Junction come to mind, and maybe Ennis Junction outside Limerick.

davidlacey wrote: »
    The very line much closer to the coast, an old bridge at the end of the shanganagh park. the old trackbed is covered by thick thorny bushes...
    Ernie Sheperd's book on the Dublin & South Eastern has a interesting photograph, pg 34, on a DSE tank engine working south along the old single line near the location of the bridge, one of few images that exist of the original formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

That's right, the Harcourt line was double, but the section of the Westland Row line between Bray and Killiney was only single. There were other bottlenecks around Dalkey and Killiney that were doubled in late 19th century. The last remnant of single line was a short section south of Dun Laoghaire station, removed in late 1950s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

jacksie66 wrote: »
    On the Childers road? Where the junction to Ennis is?
    Here where the line to Ennis diverges just beyond 'Limerick Check', there was a small level crossing located there which crossed the three tracks diagonally before the divergence, it was removed in 1970s but the approach roads remain.

Speaking of the Limerick area, I should mention that 'Cement Factory Junction' was another junction so named but no longer physical, where the Castlemungret branch diverged from the single track Foynes line, from late 1960s onward it became two parallel single track lines. The name shouldn't be confused with 'Cement Branch Junction' north of Drogheda.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The Toronto Yonge-University-Spadina subway line is getting a signal upgrade to permit automatic train control and basically replace the clapped out existing one. The TTC's @TTCNotices twitter account has been posting photos during this weekend's shutdown of the downtown section. Several more outages will happen before the system is commissioned in 2015 or 16.

BRbrBFHCIAE54Wr.jpg:large
    BRbqf3hCMAAiRJE.jpg:large
    BRUPvDNCIAEuOac.jpg:large
    BRUEJv9CAAE9L7o.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I think colloquially it's basically Shanganagh Jct as most people would refer to it. There are other examples of named 'junctions' which were/never/or no longer physical, places like Dunkitt Junction and Fenit Junction come to mind, and maybe Ennis Junction outside Limerick.

Killonan, Lavistown, Newrath, Nesbitt, Carrignagat, Navan and Knockmore Junctions all come to mind in similar vein.

A lunchtime visit to Rosskelton to photograph Tamper 742, which was being transferred from Skerries to Mallow.
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/August-2013#!/i-3mGHHTB
    The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

I have been just looking at The Wanderer's August photos. Something that really is after getting my attention is the pictures from Sunday 08 August involving loco 222's L.E movement from Connolly to Drogheda. Surely this cant be true that the wrong engine was sent to Drogheda, and not even the wrong engine but the wrong loco class??
    I am not casting dispersion on the account The Wanderer has giving to what happened but surely there is a another reason for this movement?
    Then again maybe there is not knowing Irish Rail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Could have been either there was no 071 free or in the right location or no 071 driver rostered to work it. That's the only reasons I can of for sending a 201 loco as a taxi to Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why does it matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Why does it matter??

It's just a very strange movement and a bit of a waste to run a 3,200hp loco on a 60 mile round trip just to move staff around. At least an 071 could have been used to haul a tara train back when needed or to swap the 071s around for maintenance over the weekend.

It's been a while since a 201 has run on the Navan branch metals.
    Still an interesting movement for spotters, can't recall last time 222 ran on the northern line. Must be about 7 years or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It's just a very strange movement and a bit of a waste to run a 3,200hp loco on a 60 mile round trip just to move staff around. At least an 071 could have been used to haul a tara train back when needed or to swap the 071s around for maintenance over the weekend.

It's been a while since a 201 has run on the Navan branch metals.
    Still an interesting movement for spotters, can't recall last time 222 ran on the northern line. Must be about 7 years or more.
    Notch 1all the way I'd say hehe

keep seeing "new posts" for this thread and yet no new pictures... ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just saw what looks like an old carriage in a random video:
    AbandonedCarriage_01.png

The video, entitled "A Fortnight Plus Half - An Ireland Adventure", is here: http://vimeo.com/69986476

Thought someone might be interested in contacting the author if they thought it was work trying to preserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dregin wrote: »
    Just saw what looks like an old carriage in a random video:
    AbandonedCarriage_01.png

The video, entitled "A Fortnight Plus Half - An Ireland Adventure", is here: http://vimeo.com/69986476

Thought someone might be interested in contacting the author if they thought it was work trying to preserve.

It's an ex Belfast tram that was meant to have been used for a failed preservation project on the Fintona tram.

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

A couple of photos from Portarlington this evening, includling "Enterprise" 209 on the 1620 Cork - Heuston.
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/August-2013#!/i-7qf385T

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

A few odds and ends taken while out and about on disused railway lines in Munster:

This is the Robertstown viaduct just outside Foynes railway
    68400CCD2EB844DEA2E722750E8F7807-0000363792-0003339080-00640L-7D541ED6D0D944938E7C3D1B71C5C0C4.jpg

34C22AB4F88B4332840191B70E22C3B4-0000363792-0003339086-00640L-D4EAD7BB1EA740CAA080B131883F3D96.jpg

This was taken a few years ago, but it's what remains of the railway tracks into Ardnacrusha power station.
    F1B57FBA142F41068B4914BD378B9D5C-0000363792-0003339082-00640L-3C3B79E5B89D46C5BF9A98DDDEE1A21A.jpg

Old GS & WR sleepers and ties in Cahir station
    EA33F62531964B5BA9401FB339EA6110-0000363792-0003339085-00640L-90AB69DCD30E4D279613F2BC1A618B5E.jpg

From a CIE 001 class locomotive I think
    2EE8855532C1485C9D1F8D19A566BBBE-0000363792-0003339083-00640L-437631EADA1D4A6AA0DF8C2A43FC991A.jpg

And finally, one from the Maigue viaduct leading into Adare station - the station house went up for sale recently.
    DE0FB1EA60BC45209234D95F64989F10-0000363792-0003339122-00640L-E7B99E170A424BCAB61C3FDB0EE24B3D.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Evening folks,

Pictures from a journey from Portarlington to Killarney earlier today.
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/August-2013#!/i-KRMSJWj

Pictures includes 22004 with new logo minus the "flag".

The Wanderer.
    www.facebook.com/thewandererphotos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

However, due to the colour of the new logo sets 22001 - 22006, which are fitted with NIR train safety equipment, just have the wording applied, minus logo.

Have they seriously decided not to paint the company logo on the TPWS-fitted 22ks in case its resemblance to a tricolour offends the natives up north? Lol.

Anyway, great pictures Wanderer, and I really like the theme you have on your Smugmug site, very clean and makes the detail in the images really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have they seriously decided not to paint the company logo on the TPWS-fitted 22ks in case its resemblance to a tricolour offends the natives up north? Lol..
    In fairness, how many other businesses incorporate a (stylised) state flag in their identity, especially when that multi-million euro train has to go though places near where such flags are burned. Should never have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Victor wrote: »
    In fairness, how many other businesses incorporate a (stylised) state flag in their identity, especially when that multi-million euro train has to go though places near where such flags are burned. Should never have happened.

Yeah, I agree, the new logo is pretty bad and it was a mistake to have it be a national flag in the first place.

They'd have to actually send 22001-6 north for it to be a problem - so far it's been 29000s any time a DD set is down :rolleyes:

Good evening folks,

The latest pictures from the weekend are now up online. Featuring:
    - Friday pictures from Portarlington, Portlaoise, Limerick Jct. and Killarney.
    - Saturday pictures from the Beara Peninsula in West Cork. Includes the Dursey Island Cable Car.
    - Sunday pictures from Killarney, including Plane versus the Train.

All the photographs are now online at http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/August-2013#!/i-KRMSJWj

Enjoy!
    The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Happened upon this picture on Facebook of a different view of the Cravens coach in the yard of Killashee House complete with her boarded up windows

7D8yYR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Victor wrote: »

British Airways.

Advertisement