Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Evening all,

I've uploaded a number of shots taken over the last few days:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/sets/72157634536807158/

Includes:
    - 077 + 223 with HOBS in Cork
    - 081 + IWT at Ossory Road
    - 231 on Enterprise duties
    - Hansfield station (opened 28 June 2013)
    - DART services at Dún Laoighaire & Dalkey
    - 086 at Drogheda
    - 2807/08 in East Cork

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Some great shots in that collection. My first time seeing a 201 on the HOBS.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Cool history lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Id say as much chance as the 201s which are lying to rot in inchicore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 gordy712

9.7.13 221 worked a Dublin to York Road Depot Belfast stock transfer which was the 4 MK3 Gen Vans for the Enterprise .Pics taken in the Portadown Area

Link to Pics

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/30451511_WW29sr#!i=2625044741&k=xHPfwvM

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~dregin/trains/donegal/letterkenny/letterkenny01.jpg

Letterkenny train station taken from the Letterkenny Town Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/letterkenny1958

Not sure which company's station it is >_<

Nice model of it here: http://dev.donegalrailway.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Letterkenny-011.jpg

Thats the Donegals station. Not the Swillys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

A round up of pictures from the last couple of days.

Saturday 06th July 2013:
    While heading back to the Midlands from Waterford I caught 22038 at Cloney with the 1835 Heuston - Waterford.

Monday 8th July 2013:
    22017 0800 Heuston - Cork at Portarlington.

Wednesday 10th July 2013:
    232 hauling failed Tamper 744 from Newbridge to Kildare via Sallins.

Photos begin at: http://smu.gs/153L7NZ

The Wanderer.

letterkenny02.jpg

Found this in a facebook album of just it and the previous pic, so I assume it's from Letterkenny too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

DD9090 wrote: »

Can someone explain this to me please. Why are these newer trains sitting idle? Total ameatur question, excuse the greenness.

Couple of reasons I can see:

1: The recession. Less trains are needed for service due to lower demand compared to the good old days of the Tiger.

2: A small non-standard fleet. The 8200's (total of 10 vehicles) were purchased for the Greystones extension and were the first batch of four deliveries to be made to extend the DART fleet. The 8200's were built by Alstom, while the three other deliveries of DART vehicles were built by Mitsui & Tokyu Car Corporation in batches of 16, 12, 40 vehicles all to an evolving design of 8500, 8510 and 8520 Classes. This made the 8200's non standard in the grand scheme of things in the DART fleet when compared to the 76 vehicles of the 8100 Fleet and 68 vehicles of the 8500's.

3: Anything Alstom built around the turn of the Century was, to be blunt, utter crap and this showed in the 8200's, often with numerous faults and spells of in and out of traffic down through the years. The 2700 Class DMU's, also Alstom built, were utter junk in the Dublin area and only improved when they were sent to Limerick and Cork Depots for less demanding regional services. The Alstom curse wasn't confined to the RoI. In the UK the following classes of trains had a nightmare entry into service: Diesels: 175 & 180. Electric: 334, 458 and 460. Thankfully Alstom gave Dublin a good tram design!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I was in Co Donegal last week based near Creeslough, drove around 300 miles following the lines of the CDR, L&LSR and L&BER. Had all the lines highlighted on OSI and OSNI on my gps equipped Toughbook and took to the hills! Also had the visitors guides to the lines from the Donegal Railway Museum.

There's still a lot to be found, most of the small stations and crossing cottages still exist but the big stations have been mostly eradicated totally. The L&BER was my favourite due to it's remoteness.

Railcar No 18 at Fintown on the Glenties Branch of the CDR (later version of the one in Dregin's post)
    DSCF0132_zpsfe7b54ea.jpg
    DSCF0133_zpsb3266b02.jpg

Owencarrow Viaduct, train was blown off it in 1925 by high winds.
    DSCF0063_zps8db9ab0a.jpg

Unvandalised sign up in the hills above Creeslough. You can walk the line here.
    DSCF0171_zps5a0365e9.jpg

Cashelnagore Station, miles from anywhere!
    DSCF0177_zpsc2d8352f.jpg
    DSCF0176_zps1768fa06.jpg

The line further towards Gweedore
    DSCF0183_zps50c6e77f.jpg

You can drive on a couple of miles of it south of Crolly. Through The Rosses towards Burtonport it is currently being converted to a walking trail.

DSCF0186_zps63dff63e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ifi could like that post twice I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to me please. Why are these newer trains sitting idle? Total ameatur question, excuse the greenness.

They are 14 years old and lemons to start out with but when they really went wrong they were outside warranty. Given the fact there are only 5 sets built and very few parts ever made for them it makes them very difficult to support by the manufacturer, in this case Alstom.

They were put up for sale and the deadline has long since past so now they are waiting around to be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

corktina wrote: »
    ifi could like that post twice I would!
    Great post to view when you hundreds of miles away, it would look even better in the present heat wave. Lovely pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A little less remote than Sean's trip to Donegal but some photos taken from a recent trip I had along the former Tralee and Dingle. They are taken at Glenagalt, the summit of the line. The first looks back towards the lines path as it crawls up the mountain while the second and third are at Glenasalt station, one of the very few road bridges that crossed the line. Note the tight loading gauge on the line.

DSCF2957_zps0b4e9939.jpg

DSCF2956_zps60599bf7.jpg

DSCF2955_zpsb855063b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Yes, I was a week too early weatherwise :rolleyes:

I love looking for old lines and driving a Land Rover helps see over the hedges and walls, have done much of the West Clare and the Valentia line. Having a decent library of reference books helps planning.

I had to trace the routes on to the OSI maps myself, think I can export them as something you can overlay on GE or OSM. It's no problem with UK mapping, I downloaded a KMZ file with every closed line and station, converted it to gpx and imported it on to Memorymap (had to pay for a Pro add on to do it though)

Morning all,

Following a G.A.A. Match in Limerick on Sunday between Cork - v Limerick the 06.00 Cork - Heuston service on the Monday was formed of 3x3 ICR sets (22012 + 22006 + 22053) to get sets back to the Dublin area.

9 car passenger working has been permitted since September 2009 between Dublin - Cork & Tralee but it has rarely been used. This was the 3rd passenger working of a 9 car formation, but the first to operate to plan.
    http://smu.gs/14Tbpne

The Wanderer.

Evening all,

A busy weekend just gone with rambles to Cork / Kerry / Dublin and Kildare over the course of the weekend. If that wasn't enough it was a early start this morning to photograph the 9 car ICR 0600 Cork - Heuston at Cuddagh

The pictures start at:
    http://smu.gs/10WUxvk

The Wanderer.

• Advertisement

Evening all,

A busy weekend just gone with rambles to Cork / Kerry / Dublin and Kildare over the course of the weekend. If that wasn't enough it was a early start this morning to photograph the 9 car ICR 0600 Cork - Heuston at Cuddagh

The pictures start at:
    http://smu.gs/10WUxvk

The Wanderer.

Haha, I'm in this photo! :) I'm standing beside the blonde girl to the left of the Vagabond trailer.

Yes I walked past you coming out of the station and I thought to myself that looks like Karsini.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Karsini wrote: »
    Haha, I'm in this photo! :) I'm standing beside the blonde girl to the left of the Vagabond trailer.

Not high definition though

Hat, coat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Even if you dont speak german you can still enjoy the pretty pictures :D

I speak German. It's cool! Beautifully shot and entertaining as well. Ich liebe diese!

It's pretty embarrassing watching this shot so well by a German company and comparing it to the bilge that RTE pump out :(

Great watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dregin wrote: »
    It's pretty embarrassing watching this shot so well by a German company and comparing it to the bilge that RTE pump out :(

Great watch!

fully agree with you, excellent even if I couldn't understand a lot of it. (lots of big beards...)

Evening all,

Just uploaded the latest photos from this week after a two day trip to Kerry and Cork. Locations featured include: Portlaoise, Limerick Jct., Limerick, Rathmore, Killarney, Mallow and Cork.

Pictures start at http://smu.gs/114RZLy

Enjoy!
    The Wanderer.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »

Great watch!

These guys nearly never got to finish their video after deciding to set up camera, on a tripod, in the middle of a narrow country road between Clonmel and Nicholastown. The car I was travelling in had a near miss :eek::eek: after coming around a corner and being confronted by them. Nice video though :D

Advertisement