Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening folks,

We start off the 2020 collection of photos a bit earlier than planned when I came across a bridge strike at Portlaoise on Thursday afternoon.

The Mountrath Road in Portlaoise was the scene of a bridge strike at UBC146 on Thursday afternoon when a HGV carrying a 45ft Eucon container failed to pass under the bridge which has clearance of 4.30 metres. Rail services were suspended for 45 minutes while Iarnrod Eireann engineers inspected the bridge for any damage. The 1125 Cork - Heuston and 1325 Portlaoise - Heuston were both heavily delayed with the 1300 Heuston - Cork, 1225 Cork - Heuston and 1425 Portlaoise - Heuston suffering minor delays.

Click https://bit.ly/2QDKYAh to view the images and a video of the recovery operation to remove the wedged truck from underneath the bridge.

DSC_8471-S.jpg

Friday 3rd January 2020:
    The Nenagh branch service is 3ICR worked today and tomorrow to cater for passenger demand travelling to/from Limerick for the Limerick on Ice trips organised by the local community rail partnership. Today, approx 106 passengers travelled on the 1005 Ballybrophy - Limerick and 103 passengers returned on the 1655 Limerick - Ballybrophy.

Other images from the day come from Ballybrophy, Portlaoise, Limerick Jct. and Limerick.

Click https://bit.ly/35rCvG0 to view.

DSC_8525-S.jpg

A varied selection of images from today as I embarked on a road trip to the West of Ireland. There is a railway line at my destination but it hasn't seen a train since 1976, one day we hope that trains may return between Claremorris and Sligo.

The images start off with the Nenagh Rail Partnership group travelling into Limerick on the strengthened 1005 Ballybrophy - Limerick with 22046, then I headed to outside Athlone to photo the 1125 Heuston - Galway. Heading north again I stopped at Knockcroghery and Roscommonto photo the afternoon passenger trains crossing before heading cross country to the Sligo line to photo the 1300 Connolly - Sligo and 1500 Sligo - Connolly at two locations between Carrick-on-Shannon and Boyle. Finally I made an unplanned trip across to Ballina to photo the heavily delayed IWT liner which arrived at 1940, just over three hours late.

Click https://bit.ly/2ZWyLuP to view.

DSC_8645-S.jpg

Evening folks,

Following on from the West of Ireland jaunt last weekend the latest picture update contains:

Sunday 5th January 2020:
    On Sunday morning I took a ramble around the disused Tobercurry Station on the Western Rail Corridor.

Tuesday 7th January 2020:
    Just a single image from Limerick today after I alighted from a train ex Limerick Jct.

Wednesday 8th January 2020:
    Today's batch of images come from Heuston at the start of the evening peak period and Ballybrophy while changing trains.

Click https://bit.ly/2QB9nYu to view.

DSC_8720-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

DSC_2945-S.jpg

Does this train run in Kerry much? I'm not that up to speed with Kerry stations!
    And I presume the Claremorris destination is just a mistake?

Edit: I just clicked through and found the report/details!

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Does this train run in Kerry much? I'm not that up to speed with Kerry stations!
    And I presume the Claremorris destination is just a mistake?

Edit: I just clicked through and found the report/details!

The picture was a railtour organised by the Branch Line Society which visited Midleton Cobh and Tralee. The tour visited sidings and did unusual crossover moves. Special permission had to be granted for a lot of these movements to enter sidings which are normally off limits to passenger trains.

All the pictures from that day can be viewed at https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/RailtoursPreservedRailways/2019/Branch-Line-Society-The-Cork-Stopper-Sunday-19th-May-2019

The 2600's have limited passenger workings on the Tralee line, at the weekends.

The booked workings are:

Saturday
    0625 and 2055 Cork Tralee.

Sunday
    0710 Tralee Cork
    1435 Cork Tralee (4 x 2600).
    1710 Tralee Cork (4 x 2600).
    1850 Cork Tralee
    2115 Tralee Mallow empty.

Monday
    0445 Tralee Mallow.

When ballast cleaning work is carried out on certain Saturdays on the Cork mainline the following services are also 4 x 2600 as a temporary timetable is in operation.

Friday 2055 Cork Tralee
    Saturday 0705 Tralee Mallow.

While on a Sunday afternoon drive with the folks around Co. Tipperary and Co. Limerick, with no particular destination in mind we eventually ended up at Monard and Dromkeen to view the recent upgrade to the level crossings at both these locations.

Plus a visit to nearby Kishyqirk to photo the 1620 Limerick - Heuston passing.

Click https://bit.ly/30fanVi to view all the images.

DSC_8781-S.jpg

Evening folks,

Latest updates to the January gallery feature:

Tuesday 14th January 2020:
    Portlaoise PWD yard produced some interesting scenes on a bitterly cold afternoon with 082 shunting in the yard, 076 on the CWR train and the spoil bodies being removed on the flat wagons.

Wednesday 15th January 2020:
    Today's roundup comes from Ballybrophy and Limerick.

Click https://bit.ly/2Rlol3Z to view them.

DSC_8810-S.jpg

Friday 17th January 2020:
    A pretty quiet Friday got interesting when a correspondent from Cork informed me that the 1425 Cork - Heuston set had failed at Cork. With sets being stepped up to cover the 1425 and 1525 Cork - Heuston, locomotive 220 was placed on the Heuston end of the MKIV Set 4003 and hauled the set to Heuston with passengers onboard working the 1625 Cork - Heuston. This is the first time that a MKIV service had operated throughout from Cork to Heuston in hauled mode, however back in November 2006, 228 rescued 4005 and 219 at Limerick Jct. after the latter locomotive failed.

Click https://bit.ly/30wmUUx to view all the images from Cork and Thurles, plus a shot of 076 at Portlaoise Yard.

DSC_8831-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Did they solve the door issue then? Or did a second driver operate them?

It is doors that prevent this from happening as normal if control car fails?

• Advertisement

No door issue if the loco is plugged into the GC with a PYLE jumper. Just used so so rarely there is a risk it may not work so several door tests were carried out in Cork before departure. Special permission also had to be obtained. A good case of getting the job done to keep the service moving.

Evening folks,

The January gallery has been updated with:

Wednesday 22nd January 2020:
    A busy day on the railways of Ireland today, after spending the night in Cork after attending an IRRS meeting on Tuesday night, I headed to Dublin for some work meetings. Once that was done it was time to head home via Limerick.

Pictures from the day come from:
    * Cork
    * Mallow
    * Heuston
    * Connolly
    * Busaras
    * Limerick Jct.
    * Limerick

Click https://bit.ly/2TPQG5d to view them all.

DSC_8905-S.jpg

Evening folks,

The final batch of pictures to the January gallery have just been uploaded featuring:

Thursday 23rd January 2020:
    Just two from today at Ballybrophy of the 0800 Heuston - Cork passing and later in the day at Portlaoise.

Monday 27th January 2020:
    A small update from Monday with pictures from Portlaoise of the 1425 Cork Heuston passing through.

Tuesday 28th January 2020:
    A day trip from Limerick to Heuston today but little opportunity to take photos. Pictures come from Limerick, Limerick Jct. and Heuston.

Thursday 30th January 2020:
    Pictures today come from Portlaoise and Limerick Jct.

Friday 31st January 2020:
    A few errands to carry out this morning which required the use of the train from Nenagh to Limerick and then up to Portlaoise.

Click https://bit.ly/2UdAHOP to view.

DSC_8959-S.jpg

DSC_8992-S.jpg

Afternoon folks,

I spent five days in the UK last week on an All Line Ticket travelling around from as far south as Gatwick to as far north as Montrose (south of Aberdeen). I had planned to sample the Caledonian Sleeper train on the Sunday night but Storm Ciara and Network Rail put paid to those plans and I had to find alternative accommodation at short notice.

Click https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/International/2020 to view each gallery for each day.

DSC_9159-S.jpg

DSC_9248-S.jpg

DSC_9476-S.jpg

DSC_9520-S.jpg

DSC_9583-S.jpg

Evening folks.

Irish updates have been thin on the ground lately with a trip to the UK at the start of the month and being kept busy outside railway circles for the rest of the month.

Here is the the February gallery so far:

Monday 10th February 2020:
    Pictures from Clongriffin (from the air) and Heuston Station.

Monday 17th February 2020:
    Pictures today come from Nenagh of the 1655 Limerick - Ballybrophy calling at the station.

Click https://bit.ly/38E91qO to view.

DSC_9628-S.jpg

Afternoon all,

The latest updates to the February gallery have been uploaded to the website.

Tuesday 18th February 2020:
    Pictures today come from Portlaoise and Limerick.

Thursday 20th February 2020:
    The stub of the former Coolnamona branch in Portlaoise is being extended for approx 1/4 mile to allow the installation of a test track for the PWD Yard. I visited the overbridge just over the former line to view the progress made so far. Plus I photographed the 1655 Limerick - Ballybrophy outside Nenagh.

Friday 21st February 2020:
    There was a splash of colour on an otherwise very dull day in Co. Tipperary when 073 hauled the Sperry Train from Limerick to Ballybrophy via Nenagh. On arrival at Ballybrophy the train went to Lisduff to run around before heading back to Portlaoise PWD to stable until Sunday.

Click https://bit.ly/2SNBu84 to view all the images.

DSC_9670-S.jpg

DSC_9740-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Afternoon all,

Thursday 20th February 2020:
    The stub of the former Coolnamona branch in Portlaoise is being extended for approx 1/4 mile to allow the installation of a test track for the PWD Yard. I visited the overbridge just over the former line to view the progress made so far.

Next stop Abbeyleix, destination Kilkenny!

Wishful thinking, but more seriously, the notion that the M7 was built without providing a bridge over the railway alignment, is just disgraceful.

tabbey wrote: »

Wishful thinking, but more seriously, the notion that the M7 was built without providing a bridge over the railway alignment, is just disgraceful.

Agree. It's also been noted that just beyond the end of the current limit would be a great spot for "Portlaoise Parkway" right beside the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

What's the need to run round in Lisduff? Can they not run round in Ballybrophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Not anymore.

There are no signals to control running around at Ballybrophy so a spin down to Lisduff is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

An interesting photo set indeed.

3187 is in a dreadful state. Either marshal something in better condition or paint it at least.

What is the function of the Sperry - track fault detection? Is it possible that this run might allow some of the speed restriction north of Silvermines Jct to be lifted?

What kind of testing can we expect to see in the PWD yard test track?

We can hardly expect the M7 to have maintained the way given what the M3 did to Navan, which was supposedly being planned for reinstatement!

Not anymore.

There are no signals to control running around at Ballybrophy so a spin down to Lisduff is needed.

Is this recent, It was possible not so long ago. Would a shunting signal not allow this to happen. Surely with the crossover trains can still be held at the approach signals.

tabbey wrote: »

Do we know who is responsible for this. Did IE given them permission as plenty of other road projects built bridges over disused railways most recently N25 New Ross bypass (Wateeford/New Ross line).

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Do we know who is responsible for this. Did IE given them permission as plenty of other road projects built bridges over disused railways most recently N25 New Ross bypass (Wateeford/New Ross line).

I think the line to Abbeyleix would need to go over the motorway rather than under it either way.

IE 222 wrote: »
    I think the line to Abbeyleix would need to go over the motorway rather than under it either way.

I see, thats not as bad if the need arises in future. Still IE must have given the go-ahead as they were consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I see, thats not as bad if the need arises in future. Still IE must have given the go-ahead as they were consulted.
    a shame that BnM Coolnamona Works just over the M7 weren’t a freight customer... or the new biodigester BnM are building off the M7 at Junction 18 a mile south west of the train care depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The line onwards to Kilkenny was abandoned 30 years, long before the Motorway was built. CIE would have disposed of the trackbed donkey years back and wouldn't have had any input or any case to have a new bridge constructed over the motorway. The new roads in the Wexford/Waterford region are crossing lines that are still "open" or not abandoned; the construction plan would include any such bridges to cross a railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 thewexman93

I'm not sure any of the new roads in Wexford crossed old railway paths.

A link from Portlaoise to Kilkenny would add a lot of versatility to Irish Rail, considering how good the service is from Portlaoise to Dublin, Limerick and cork. It would link them to Kilkenny and Waterford.

These links shouldn't have to be economically viable, public service should be reason enough.

Same goes for Waterford to rosslare, athenry to Sligo via claremorris, Mullingar to athlone, Tralee to limerick and Limerick to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

IE 222 wrote: »
    Is this recent, It was possible not so long ago. Would a shunting signal not allow this to happen. Surely with the crossover trains can still be held at the approach signals.

There are shunt signals but some of the moves are "doable" but unsignalled. UHF radios were used but this is no longer deemed acceptable.

• Advertisement

91wx763 wrote: »
    There are shunt signals but some of the moves are "doable" but unsignalled. UHF radios were used but this is no longer deemed acceptable.

Sounds like someone got carried away with the red tape. Seems like an awful waste of resources as there is actually two run around points there. They should at least alter the crossover from the main to the branch to avoid the bay.

Advertisement