Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Came across this site through a link on another photo on Flickr. Some interesting shots from 80s/90s:
    https://table158photography.weebly.com/ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Came across this site through a link on another photo on Flickr. Some interesting shots from 80s/90s:
    https://table158photography.weebly.com/ireland.html

Signalbox and Connelly shows its not a local, but lovely just the same.

tabbey wrote: »
    Signalbox and Connelly shows its not a local, but lovely just the same.

No he’s from Dorset. He’s on Flickr but his Irish stuff is on his own site only.

Graham Roose, a Flickr contact of mine has also been uploading some nice older Irish images recently too:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/66247864@N03/albums/72157635123605804

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Great photographs and some quite artistic but in the main they show just what a shadow of a railway we have left today. Really, it has come down to being an irrelevance and as someone once said, "a few greyhound buses could handle the traffic" - outside of the Greater Dublin area. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

91wx763 wrote: »
    @Eiretrains have you any idea how long it takes for access to the IRRS Flickr archive to come through if someone signs up for a membership ?
    Sorry just seeing your message now (I visit here just a once a week or two!:o), usually within a couple days when the Flickr message is received or a week if tied up with other things.

I hope to upload the second part of the 1961 audio documentary shortly, which includes the earliest reference to the famous black/orange livery.

• Advertisement

As promised; Part 2 of the 1961 documentary made on CIÉ, this time covering goods services on the railways. There is also probably one of the earliest references to what would become the iconic 'black & orange' livery:

As a point of interest, when the site for new sundries depot was being planned CIE surveyed their customers to see whether they would prefer it to remain at Heuston or move to the North Wall; by their own admission CIE revealed that customers expressed a preference for Heuston and the rest is history. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

In preparation for relaying between the 26 & 28 mileposts on the Nenagh Branch, a CWR train visited the branch on Tuesday morning. The train departed Portlaoise PWD Yard at 0810, running to Lisduff to run around in the sidings, before retracing its outward journey as far as Ballybrophy. Upon entering the T3 Possession on the Nenagh Branch the CWR train headed to Birdhill for locomotive 084 to run around the train. On the trip back from Birdhill to Ballybrophy it dropped its load of rails, a process which took well over two hours to drop a total of 30 strings of rail.

All photos were taken while adhering to Government restrictions on movement during the COVID19 pandemic, limiting you to a maximum of 5 km from home.

Click https://bit.ly/2zMKSSd to view all the images and video.

DSC_0466-S.jpg
    DSC_0487-S.jpg
    DSC_0526-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

In preparation for relaying between the 26 & 28 mileposts on the Nenagh Branch, a CWR train visited the branch on Tuesday morning.

Wait, so they are relaying the line, but keeping the old wooden sleepers? How does that make sense?

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Wait, so they are relaying the line, but keeping the old wooden sleepers? How does that make sense?

No you are completely wrong!

The strings (rails) are laid outside the existing track by the CWR train. At a later date the relay train arrives on site. The Donelli gantries are lifted off the relay train onto the new rails, they lift the old track onto the wagons of the relay train, then place concrete sleepers in the correct position. The strings of rails are then slewed on to the new sleepers.

See https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/search#q=Donelli for images of the Donelli.

• Advertisement

Why are they installing CWR on a line that they are hell bent on closing?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Why are they installing CWR on a line that they are hell bent on closing?

Maybe because they aren't hell bent on closing it? :D Plus the line needs to be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

No you are completely wrong!

The strings (rails) are laid outside the existing track by the CWR train. At a later date the relay train arrives on site. The Donelli gantries are lifted off the relay train onto the new rails, they lift the old track onto the wagons of the relay train, then place concrete sleepers in the correct position. The strings of rails are then slewed on to the new sleepers.

See https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/search#q=Donelli for images of the Donelli.

That's cool, I always assumed those machines did everything at once (I guess it would require a much longer train to do both :rolleyes: )

I have uploaded a past & present photo-feature on the disused Burma Road line (Claremorris-Sligo railway), with illustrations from the IRRS archive showing the stations on the line. Link:
    http://irishrailarchives.ie/index.php/2020/05/20/burma-road-claremorris-sligo-archive-photo-feature/
    Untitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Maybe because they aren't hell bent on closing it? :D Plus the line needs to be maintained.

Better to sort out the signal sighting to increase the linespeed, we could live with clickety clack if it was 70mph !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

As long back as 2008 there was work on what is the real mainline to upgrade it to CWT. Better late than never :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Will it be tamped? I recall CWR going on part of the Nenagh Branch some years back and speeds staying the same, story on here was first because no tamping and then because IE decided some of the bridges had to have speed restrictions. No doubt we shouldn’t expect much here either...

I understood that cwr was laid but never stressed.

91wx763 wrote: »
    Better to sort out the signal sighting to increase the linespeed, we could live with clickety clack if it was 70mph !!!

Problem with the clickety clack is that modern rolling stock is not designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Maybe because they aren't hell bent on closing it? :D Plus the line needs to be maintained.[/Q
    Maybe they are being forced to think again, this would something the "Greens" would be focused on. They want us to use public transport after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

roundymac wrote: »
    Maybe because they aren't hell bent on closing it? :D Plus the line needs to be maintained.[/Q
    Maybe they are being forced to think again, this would something the "Greens" would be focused on. They want us to use public transport after all.

I can’t imagine that the Greens would want to be associated with squandering even more of the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

roundymac wrote: »

I can’t imagine that the Greens would want to be associated with squandering even more of the railway.

they already are as they were in government when the south wexford line closed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

075 on the liner and 22307 heading for Heuston.
    Stacumny Bridge, 21/05/20.

[IMG][/img]49921115401_9a6d0e2626_z.jpgBound for Ballina by John McK, on Flickr

On Wednesday 20th May, 086 brought two of the stored Container Pocket Wagons from Waterford Sally Park Yard to Belview Port for loading trials for XPO Logistics.

Also on Thursday 084 revisited the Nenagh Branch with the CWR Train. Click the image below or https://bit.ly/3gkUS6b to view.

20200520_111117%280%29-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Any idea what they are transporting, looked online and very little info. Diluting IWT and/or taking previous DFDS traffic?

Hopefully it happens and is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Any idea what they are transporting, looked online and very little info. Diluting IWT and/or taking previous DFDS traffic?

Hopefully it happens and is a success.

New to rail volumes, mode switch from road to container

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

New to rail volumes, mode switch from road to container

Interesting, quiet a commitment then. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

The Greens caused the Southern half of the Dublin Metro to be cancelled, I don't think they give a crap about anything except hurting people in the name of being "Green"
    Rulmeq wrote: »
    I don't think that would be even possible - the track in the photos uses bullhead rail, a very old rail profile that's not used anymore in new installations or replacements. And the existing sleepers have had holes drilled into them for the chairs that hold bullhead rail, I don't think they could be re-used with new fittings for modern rail.

The June gallery starts off with a week of track relaying on the Nenagh Branch between the 26 and 28 MP's. For the outward working today from Portlaoise, I went to a bridge south of Nenagh but the train never showed hence I thought I missed it, or did it turn back at Nenagh in the sidings?!

A drive back into the Station found 081 in the process of running around the train, this involved splitting the train into two halves as the loop is too small for the entire train. Later photos from the day show the train heading past Lisbunny and at Rathnaleen.

Click https://bit.ly/2Asjd9v to view all the images.

DSC_0643-S.jpg

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

A round up of images from the past week:

Wednesday 3rd June 2020:
    Some more pictures and videos of the ongoing track relaying work on the Nenagh Branch.

Thursday 4th June 2020:
    I ventured out to Lisbunny this morning to photograph 085 arriving into Nenagh with the relay train.

Friday 5th June 2020:
    By the end of the first week, 1 mile of track had been relaid north of Nenagh.

Monday 8th June 2020:
    A number of service changes took place on Monday 8th June with the reopening of Ireland moving to phase 2 of the COVID19 roadmap. While DART services were restored to a full timetable, on Intercity a number of services were reinstated, including the 0520 Athlone - Heuston, 1530 Heuston - Limerick and 1710 Heuston - Athlone. Also a number of Cork services which had been 3ICR for a number of months were changed to 5ICR sets to allow the 3ICR's to be used to strengthen services to/from Heuston. Finally after a break of 61 days, two MKIV sets were returned to traffic working the 1500 & 1705 Heuston - Cork, 1825 & 2025 Cork - Heuston.

Click https://bit.ly/3cFk9EN to view all the images.

DSC_0683-S.jpg

DSC_0735-S.jpg

Advertisement