Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come Dine With Me Ireland - Galway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Couldn't be arsed to watch it after the first night? Life's too short. But who won?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Watch it online www.tv3.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

celty wrote: »
    Couldn't be arsed to watch it after the first night? Life's too short. But who won?
    The NZ comedian guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

Bruce really got on my nerves! Everytime he opened his mouth I fantasised about attacking him with a different weapon if ever I lay eyes on him

I think the doc did the best job with the food but the guests never made any comments about how good the food was, just about his eccentric personality.

Why the hell did they put two blow ins on??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

techyjon wrote: »
    Are they not allowed on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

techyjon wrote: »

Because they live in Galway, have done for years, and are probably more interesting than other 'local' applicants for the show.

Galway is filled with 'blow-ins'. They're what make the place interesting.

Because they live in Galway, have done for years, and are probably more interesting than other 'local' applicants for the show.

Galway is filled with 'blow-ins'. They're what make the place interesting.
    I'm open to correction on this but is the name Galway not derived from an old version of ''Blow In''?

amiable wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but is the name Galway not derived from an old version of ''Blow In''?

No.

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.
    Are you sure?

http://www.galwayonline.com/faq/name.htm
    The Town of the Foreigners
    At first glance, the name Galway – Gaillimh in Irish – seems to have a straightforward meaning. For the ancient Irish and other Celtic peoples, all foreigners were known as Galls (Gauls), and thus prefixes or suffixes involving gall, in one form or another, generally reflect the presence of foreign settlers. A great example of this is County Donegal – Dún na Gall in Irish – Donegal translates literally as 'fortress of the foreigners'. Because Galway was a Norman-English settlement as early as the 12th century, it is plausible to conclude that Galway means simply, 'place of the foreigners' or more specifically, 'residence of the English'. Indeed, this theory has been proposed often throughout the ages and remains a viable conclusion.

It was someone who works for a heritage trust that mentioned it to me

We were taught in school it was named after a river. That great reliable font of knowledge, wikipedia, backs it up.
    The city takes its name from the Gaillimh river (River Corrib) that formed the western boundary of the earliest settlement, which was called Dún Bhun na Gaillimhe ("fort at the mouth of the Gaillimh"). he word Gaillimh means "stony" as in "stony river" (the mythical and alternative derivations are given in History of Galway). Historically, the name was written as Gallive, which is closer to the Irish pronunciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

I'm interested to know what parts of the city these were filmed in, think Mary in Knocknacarra, Bruce in castlelawn, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

SMCG wrote: »
    I'm interested to know what parts of the city these were filmed in, think Mary in Knocknacarra, Bruce in castlelawn, ?

Mary + Lisa knocknacarra
    Bruce oranmore
    The old lunatic lad cant remember his name doughiska
    The new zeland fella headford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement