Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come Dine With Me Ireland - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Fuinseog wrote: »
    nobody speaking with a heavy Galway accent either, unlike the Limerick one.
    I didn't find the Limerick accent strong.

Maybe it's because i'm from Limerick:)

I've seen Bruce around the city but can't remember where

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Das Kitty wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the Irish CDWM's way more about the personalities and the narration than the food? I remember some actual cooking in the old ones, and food that you'd want to eat! So far there is *nothing* appetising at all!!

I think you were watching a different programme!

I think the Galway one has been great fun so far. I get what you're saying celty though, I feel like that about GAA.

deep fried yard turkey, chicken liver pate?? - nooooooo!

Everyone to their own I suppose! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've watched it, but I hate Come Dine With Me so I wont bore you all with ranting about how awful it's been.

Yesterday though the guy with the long hair was doing his little pre-dinner party talking to the camera bit in some place, looked like a restaurant. It looked darkish but had high ceilings and high windows and chandeliers. Does anyone know where it was ?

Always fancied myself having dining by chandelier light! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I've watched it, but I hate Come Dine With Me so I wont bore you all with ranting about how awful it's been.

Yesterday though the guy with the long hair was doing his little pre-dinner party talking to the camera bit in some place, looked like a restaurant. It looked darkish but had high ceilings and high windows and chandeliers. Does anyone know where it was ?

I think its the upstairs of the main bar in the Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

looked like the quays and I would not go as far as to call it a restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

deep fried yard turkey, chicken liver pate?? - nooooooo!

Everyone to their own I suppose! ;)

Ha ha boffy! I meant the other way round, never seen anything I would fancy eating on the show

We were talking about this in work today and came up with Galway Crystal. The Canadian lad was in the House Hotel.

Ha ha boffy! I meant the other way round, never seen anything I would fancy eating on the show!

Ah gotchya! :)

There has been the odd dish that I found interesting or fun mind you - the Welsh bread baked in flowerpots springs to mind as one!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Tonight's episode had nothing to do with cooking, the other guests just tore the host to shreds based on the pictures he had hanging on his wall and the way he looked at them. This is awful television although the lamb looked yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

It's upstairs in Sheridans in Knocknacarra. One of the other contestants was filmed doing her little pre-dinner talking thing outside the pub too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think you were watching a different programme!

I think the Galway one has been great fun so far. I get what you're saying celty though, I feel like that about GAA.
    Compared to paint drying it is, but thats where it ends. Its been woeful compared to the other Irish ones and not a patch on the British ones, a bunch of uninteresting agreeable people having nothing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Compared to paint drying it is, but thats where it ends. Its been woeful compared to the other Irish ones and not a patch on the British ones, a bunch of uninteresting agreeable people having nothing to say.

You like when people fall out so. I hate that, don't find it entertaining at all. I prefer seeing people getting on, personally.

I take it people on here wouldn't like Gesiers de vollaile so judging by their reactions to the pate?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I am loving the Galway episodes. I laughed the whole way through last nights episode, especially the "uptight spinach" bit, and the "dark" version of the self portrait. I though it was the NZ guy that was supposed to be the comedian, but i find the Canadian guy hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

amiable wrote: »
    I've seen Bruce around the city but can't remember where

He worked in Bar no. 8, that's where I recognise him from anyway. (Are we allowed to say this?)

You like when people fall out so. I hate that, don't find it entertaining at all. I prefer seeing people getting on, personally.
    Its supposed to be entertainment, if you want to watch people getting on then have some friends round for dinner. Its the norm in the British one for them to have people who will clash which always makes for better viewing. Theres nobody good in the Galway one, the psychotherapist is up his own arse, the Canadian lad is trying too hard and i thought there were supposed to be 3 more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I find it very funny - the programme was never really about recipes and making sure the food is perfect - its more about the personalities - on the UK shows they always go wandering, looking in wardrobes for the "very handy" funny outfits.

I think of the Irish ones, the Italian girl was the most stand out person of all the shows, except I am finding this Galway one hilarious. The digs are subtle, very sarcastic, and brilliant.

They don't have to be screaming at each other, in order for them not to get on.

Yes, the Galway one is definitely good - in fact it was in a Galway paper that the Dave Lamb guy (who is hilarious anyway) said that the NZ programme in Galway was one of the best he ever made (at least I think it was Dave Lamb - it was one of the crew anyway). Stay tuned... and lighten up.

I find it very funny - the programme was never really about recipes and making sure the food is perfect - its more about the personalities - on the UK shows they always go wandering, looking in wardrobes for the "very handy" funny outfits.

I think of the Irish ones, the Italian girl was the most stand out person of all the shows, except I am finding this Galway one hilarious. The digs are subtle, very sarcastic, and brilliant.

They don't have to be screaming at each other, in order for them not to get on.

Yes, the Galway one is definitely good - in fact it was in a Galway paper that the Dave Lamb guy (who is hilarious anyway) said that the NZ programme in Galway was one of the best he ever made (at least I think it was Dave Lamb - it was one of the crew anyway). Stay tuned... and lighten up.
    I dunno what programme you are watching but i've yet to see a dig all week, and yes they dont need to be screaming at each other but a bit of needle between them always makes it far more interesting and entertaining. Each to their own, i like a bit of bite between them and you like a nice friendly bunch of joe soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Is it just me or are the Irish CDWM's way more about the personalities and the narration than the food? I remember some actual cooking in the old ones, and food that you'd want to eat! So far there is *nothing* appetising at all!!

I think you're spot on. We've thought exactly the same thing. The irish ones have been much more basic, everyday food.

But last night the doc's lamb looked really nice... more what you'd expect they'd aim for every night. Too bad they looked bored as hell. It's funny how people expectations of food vs. craic... some rank soley on the food and some soley on the craic. The doc got overly-slammed by the canadian because of the latter. In fairness it should be a balance of both... 60/40 I think tending towards the food... it is a cookery show afterall!

Acidflash wrote: »
    It's upstairs in Sheridans in Knocknacarra. One of the other contestants was filmed doing her little pre-dinner talking thing outside the pub too.

+1 - we thought Sheridan's too.

newkie wrote: »
    I think you're spot on. We've thought exactly the same thing. The irish ones have been much more basic, everyday food.

But last night the doc's lamb looked really nice... more what you'd expect they'd aim for every night. Too bad they looked bored as hell. It's funny how people expectations of food vs. craic... some rank soley on the food and some soley on the craic. The doc got overly-slammed by the canadian because of the latter. In fairness it should be a balance of both... 60/40 I think tending towards the food... it is a cookery show afterall!

Yeah, I do realise that it's both, and personally I'd agree with your percentage. It definitely *did* have more cooking in other seasons. It's more like a 'big brother' show now than something like Floyd or Two Fat Ladies (both of which had bits of craic, but were not put downs like CDWM)
    I've still to watch last nights.

• Advertisement

Its supposed to be entertainment... the norm in the British one for them to have people who will clash which always makes for better viewing.

Agree if it was just about food it would be a bit dull, especially when most of them can't cook worth a damn.

I think the British one has the following formula:
    • young & dumb
    • old biddy
    • posh wanker
    • working class yob
    • yummy mummy housewife

Tell me I'm wrong! I could be a tv exec! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Is it me or is Bruce getting gayer by the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tonight's was one of the best episodes i've ever seen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kinetic wrote: »
    His bitchy snipes were amusing at the start of the week, but you can't really call someone else's humour crude when you make jokes like that pepper spray/halting site/Jehovah's gag.
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Tonight's was one of the best episodes i've ever seen.
    Probably the best standard of cooking I've seen on the Irish one. At times in the Limerick and Waterford ones, I thought we were a sort hair away from a packet of Birdseye Potato Waffles being cracked open.

Robbo wrote: »
    Probably the best standard of cooking I've seen on the Irish one. At times in the Limerick and Waterford ones, I thought we were a sort hair away from a packet of Birdseye Potato Waffles being cracked open.
    Where as in Galway they'd be Heritage brand Waffles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kinetic wrote: »
    Robbo wrote: »
    His bitchy snipes were amusing at the start of the week, but you can't really call someone else's humour crude when you make jokes like that pepper spray/halting site/Jehovah's gag.

One word....... vapid.

Anyone else think Bruce looks like a chubbier camp version of Cesc Fabregas?

Cesc-Fabregas2.jpg

amiable wrote: »
    Anyone else think Bruce looks like a chubbier camp version of Cesc Fabregas?

Cesc-Fabregas2.jpg
    Take a bow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just watched last night's episode.

Best night, hands-down. Possibly even the single best episode of Come Dine With Me I've ever seen, in fact.

• Advertisement

The last couple of nights were more like it. Better cooking and good craic. I still would have liked a tad more info on the food.

Well deserved win too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement