Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPSI train movements

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

From RPSI Twitter
    Tickets for the diesel-hauled #MysteryTrain on 23rd June are now on sale. steamtrainsireland.com/events. Also Pearse Station and usual EBS outlets.

Tickets on sale at:
    Pearse Station, Westland Row, Dublin
    EBS Offices at Drumcondra, Malahide and Dun Laoghaire.
    http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/downloads/events/2012_DAOC.pdf

Depart Connolly Station 10:15. Back at 19:00.
    Fare: Adults €45, Concession (U16/OAP)€35.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is the turntable over by the Loco shed at Connolly not used anymore? I noticed the photo below on the RPSI's website of 461 being turned on the small turntable adjacent to Platform 7. It's a tight squeeze!

20120514_Connolly_RWall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

lord lucan wrote: »
    Is the turntable over by the Loco shed at Connolly not used anymore? I noticed the photo below on the RPSI's website of 461 being turned on the small turntable adjacent to Platform 7. It's a tight squeeze!

20120514_Connolly_RWall.jpg

Ohh wow.
    I would have liked to have seen that. It is a small turntable, usually one of the track maintenance machines are on it.

Due to Technical difficulty’s with locomotive 186 the MGWR Shuttles on Sunday have been cancelled.

Passengers should contact their ticket provider for a refund

The RPSI apologises for the unavoidably short notice of this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Sad news.Hope everything gets sorted out with 186.She is a lovely loco.How about putting 084 on the shuttles.Probably the last chance to get behind an orange loco?Just a thought...

• Advertisement

Well you never know what might haul the Mystery train on June 23rd.

Ps. I am not saying that it will be an 071 just that you don’t know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Rud wrote: »
    Sad news.Hope everything gets sorted out with 186.She is a lovely loco.How about putting 084 on the shuttles.Probably the last chance to get behind an orange loco?Just a thought...

Whilst the Diesel enthusiasts would be in raptures to get a run behind an 071,the core market of families with kids would be very disappointed with no steam engine up top. An orange 071 would mean little to them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Whilst the Diesel enthusiasts would be in raptures to get a run behind an 071,the core market of families with kids would be very disappointed with no steam engine up top. An orange 071 would mean little to them tbh.

would they even know the difference? any very smoky 071s? put it at the top, they won't notice the difference.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

would they even know the difference? any very smoky 071s? put it at the top, they won't notice the difference.

No way. Two identical trains so they are :)

GS_26WR_No_186_in_Preservation_m.jpg
    300px-Ie071.jpg

No way. Two identical trains so they are

no their not, but unless these people who are going on the trips have a little interest or a little knowledge, i can't see why they would care apart from the simple (i was promised something and i didn't get it) i accept i'm probably missing the point but i realy don't think the average person cares. i've often heard people refering to a railcar as (the dart) okay its not like for like but it shows how much the average person knows.

• Advertisement

While many people may have little or no knowledge of the railway they can tell the difference between a diesel and steam locomotive. With the exception of the three day tour and diesel hauled excursions the vast majority of the RPSI passengers are family’s on a day out, and they have no interest in diesel haulage. Many of them view diesels as the same thing the get to work on a daily basis where as a steam train is something old and special that they don’t see very often.

Having personally dealt with passengers in these circumstances before I can assure you the vast majority were extremely disappointed.

Well i think my point was badly made.What i should have said is why not put the likes of a 071 in front of the set rather than just calling it off altogether and i used 084 as an example.I can understand the attraction of steam,how it is of great interest to families when a tour comes up and the obvious difference in 186 and an 071 but in the past diesel locos have stepped in on tours when steam locos weren't available for whatever reason.I guess it is different though when it comes to the shuttles and as you said above when the core market is families with kids

in fairness to kids a train is a train, i didn't notice or care about the difference between types of trains when i was a child, i was just happy to be on a train. the pearants might be a little upset because of no steam loco but they should just get over it, its a day out from the norm. look i couldn't care a less what happens it makes no difference to my life but i'm just sharing my experience from when i was a child and how i could be convinced that a train was just a train. thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

It looks like the graffiti artists (aka mindless idiots) have been at work on 186, also a 22k at Drogheda. :mad:

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/sreply/54681/RPSI-2012

The state of 186,what the hell?:mad:Glad to see some mindless scumbags have nothing better to be doing than causing pointless harm.Cleaning up that loco is another cost that the RPSI could do without.And the state of the 22k set in Drogheda is also infuriating and by the looks of it,it took some time to do.Pathetic little scumbags

Rud wrote: »
    The state of 186,what the hell?:mad:Glad to see some mindless scumbags have nothing better to be doing than causing pointless harm.Cleaning up that loco is another cost that the RPSI could do without.And the state of the 22k set in Drogheda is also infuriating and by the looks of it,it took some time to do.Pathetic little scumbags

I just don't understand it at all. Why? :mad:

why? because their uncivilised filth, bet you their pearants will say, oh he has ADHD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The why has been answered but the problem is CIE/IE's attitude to dealing with graffiti and trespass on their network. Back in the late 1970s the only graffiti problem was on the Sligo line between Connolly and Liffey Junction. It was never properly tackled then and is now out of control. :mad:

uncivilised and undisciplined filthy trash is what they are, publically flog them i say. and as for IE, the only thing they care about is driving away their customers so they can shut down and lift the rail network.

Advertisement