Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPSI train movements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I sure am; she had her boiler ticket officially passed out a few weeks ago and is pending a few training runs in the coming days. Rumour has it that she may make an appearance on the Belfast Broomstick Belle; she may also have a few empty workings around the Dublin area before December for the Irish Rail crew to get to grips with her but that's just it, a rumour ;)

Great stuff, LD! Any way of finding out if/when the training runs are? Would love to get a few shots of her.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Great stuff, LD! Any way of finding out if/when the training runs are? Would love to get a few shots of her.;)

If I knew that I'd be doing well myself! :D

It won't be easy to plan as the two steam drivers are based in Dublin and Cork respectively so shifts will be hard to plan out. But if I do hear of anything I will let you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Here's one run confirmed for 2012. AFAIK this is the first visit of a steam loco to Howth since before the DART opened.
    ‘The Spare Link’

A special excursion to mark the retirement and acknowledge the assistance over the years to the RPSI of driver Dan Renehan.

Dublin - Dunboyne - Rosslare - Wexford on Saturday 24th March 2012
    Wexford - Wicklow - Howth - Dublin on Sunday 25th March 2012

A two-day, steam hauled event featuring the recently re-opened line to Dunboyne, the scenic Dublin and South Eastern line along the East Coast and a return to steam on the Howth branch.

Tickets: €70/£60

Outline times are:
    Saturday: Depart Dublin Connolly 09:50
    Sunday: Arrive Dublin Connolly 15:55

Booking Form link

Also, the May tour is now confirmed as taking place from Saturday 12th May to Monday 14th May, preceded by a diesel trip on Friday 11th May.

The provisional 2012 program is now online. Should be something for everyone.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/events/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Details of the International tour are now online.

Thursday 10th May: Steam-hauled carriage positioning train Belfast to Dublin.
    Friday 11th May: Diesel railtour - Dublin Connolly to Portrush (requested) and return.
    Saturday 12th May: Dublin Connolly - Athenry – Ennis.
    Sunday 13th May: Ennis - Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy - Dublin Connolly.
    Monday 14th May: Dublin Connolly - Belfast – Whitehead.
    Tuesday 15th May: Coach tour from Belfast.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/downloads/events/2012SouthClare_ABF.pdf

• Advertisement

An excellent tour for sure from the RPSI.

The diesel day is definitely going to sell out fast given that it's the first diesel loco train to go north of Belfast in donkey years. The trip to Ennis via the WRC will be special as will the return trip via the Limerick mainline and onwards to Dublin; I'll be booking my seat soon for it :)

Re:Spare Link tour

Quick question:
    Is there a facility to turn a steam engine at Wexford or will she have to run bunker-first back to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Re:Spare Link tour

Quick question:
    Is there a facility to turn a steam engine at Wexford or will she have to run bunker-first back to Dublin?

There's a turntable at Rosslare Harbour where she can be turned.

Diesel fans, a date for your diaries, there will be the "171 For 171" special from Dublin to Cork and back on Saturday 21st April. Booking details, tickets, etc, will be confirmed in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Niles wrote: »
    Diesel fans, a date for your diaries, there will be the "171 For 171" special from Dublin to Cork and back on Saturday 21st April. Booking details, tickets, etc, will be confirmed in due course.

what's the 171 for? Ie what does the name relate to? 171 is the only 141 class in use isn't it? is it the mile distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

what's the 171 for? Ie what does the name relate to? 171 is the only 141 class in use isn't it? is it the mile distance?

That's the million dollar question, I actually don't know myself:D

Eiretrains wrote: »
    That's the million dollar question, I actually don't know myself:D

As far as I know its the mile distance.

The trip is to raise funds, not for GM locos but this 171 is ex GNR Sliabh Gullion, which is hoped to be next for reintroduction back to the mainline. The trip from Pearse to Cork Kent is 171 miles, hence 171 for 171 :)

The trip is to raise funds, not for GM locos but this 171 is ex GNR Sliabh Gullion, which is hoped to be next for reintroduction back to the mainline. The trip from Pearse to Cork Kent is 171 miles, hence 171 for 171 :)

Imagine if it was being run to raise funds for 800... not even if sure if that could be done in one day!
    No.4 on the other hand... two return trips from Connolly to Pearse would cover it!

Imagine if it was being run to raise funds for 800... not even if sure if that could be done in one day!
    No.4 on the other hand... two return trips from Connolly to Pearse would cover it!

Is there even 800 miles of passenger track left on the network? :) Ould Wesley would need a lot of sandwiches for that one if we tried it :)

From the latest RPSI email bulletin:
    STOP PRESS

Demand has been very high for the “Spare Link” railtour and the initial train allocation is now full.

The railtour team are discussing with the locomotive and carriage departments as to whether more seats can be made available.

Any further bookings received will be placed on a waiting list for these seats, should they become available. Intending participants will be advised of availability at the end of February.

Please ensure your booking form includes a contact telephone number.

First Dublin steam outing of the year...
    MAYNOOTH SHUTTLE

Saturday 3rd March

Shake off those winter blues - two trains will operate from Dublin Pearse station to Maynooth for No.461 driver familiarisation.

Train 1: Departs 10:30am
    Train 2: Departs 02:00pm

Fares: Adults €10, Children €5.

Booking form:

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/downloads/events/2012DAOC.pdf

Tickets available soon from:

EBS Offices at Malahide, Drumcondra and Dun Laoghaire.
    Irish Rail, Pearse Station.

First Dublin steam outing of the year...

And, the first public steam train out of Dublin in over a year; the September tour excluded as it's more of a gricers ball.

The booking form for the 171 for 171 Diesel railtour is now online. Dublin Pearse to Cork return

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/171/
    As part of the fund raising campaign for the restoration of RPSI flagship locomotive
    No.171 “Slieve Gullion”, a special diesel hauled railtour has been organised from Dublin to
    Cork and return.

The “171 For 171” railtour, 171 miles in each direction, will feature the RPSI Cravens set
    and requested 071 class motive power. There will be several photographic stops along the
    mainline to Cork and then a non-stop return journey back to Dublin.

There will be over 3½ hours of free time in Cork city, giving plenty of time to explore Cork
    City or to take a journey on the railways of east Cork to Midleton and Cobh.

There will be a full bar and snack car available throughout the day.

All money raised from this railtour will go directly to the restoration of locomotive No.171
    “Slieve Gullion”. This locomotive is one of our most useful locomotives, with widespread
    route availability and the ability to haul our heaviest trains, No.171 is vital to the
    continued operation of our steam operations.

Outline times are:
    Outward: Dublin Pearse 09:45, Cork 13:20
    Return: Cork 17:10, Dublin Pearse 20:00

From the latest news bulletin:
    MAYNOOTH SHUTLLE

3rd March

All tickets for the afternoon train (2pm) have now been booked.

Some tickets remain for the morning (10:30am) train.

• Advertisement

From the latest news bulletin:

Both 3rd March Maynooth Shuttles are now completely booked out.

From the RPSI Twitter
    No.461 will be leaving Whitehead for Dublin on Sunday. Leaving at 10:35 if you want to get out and take a few pictures.

From the RPSI Twitter

Are there any planned movements prior to Saturday?

Are there any planned movements prior to Saturday?

Not that I am aware of.

Not that I am aware of.

There will have to be. 461 decided she liked Dundalk so much that she stopped working there today :(

Have they managed to get her going again?

Have they managed to get her going again?

Hot off the presses...

Locomotive No.461 was on its way light engine to Dublin on Sunday when, during a routine servicing stop at Dundalk, it was found that the left big end was carrying a bit of heat.

Rather than proceed, the locomotive was stabled there while the big end was dismantled and examined. No serious damage was found and it is hoped that the locomotive can proceed soon to Dublin.

Meanwhile, the plan is for No.186 to be worked light to Dublin later in the week for the planned Maynooth Shuttles on Saturday 3rd March.

Hot off the presses...

Locomotive No.461 was on its way light engine to Dublin on Sunday when, during a routine servicing stop at Dundalk, it was found that the left big end was carrying a bit of heat.

Rather than proceed, the locomotive was stabled there while the big end was dismantled and examined. No serious damage was found and it is hoped that the locomotive can proceed soon to Dublin.

Meanwhile, the plan is for No.186 to be worked light to Dublin later in the week for the planned Maynooth Shuttles on Saturday 3rd March.

Seems the RPSI are not having much luck with 461. THanks for the update....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Seems the RPSI are not having much luck with 461. THanks for the update....

Nothing too unusual when a loco is returning to service after a long lay off. I seem to remember 461 suffering lots of little niggles during her initial running in period in 1990 too.

• Advertisement

The RPSI have changed the motive power on their website for Saturday's trips from 461 to 186 now.

Shame not to see 461, but 186 in full flight is still a superb sight to see!

Advertisement