Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPSI train movements

Options
  • 28-07-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭

Sunday 7th August sees the RPSI running a charter train from Malahide to Wicklow. The train departs 10:35, arriving back at 16:35. Although this is a private charter a very limited number of tickets has become available.

Tickets are on sale from Malahide Station, contact RPSI (01 480 0553) during normal office hours; €35 a ticket or a Family Ticket (2 adults and 2 children) €110. You can also download an application form http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/downloads/events/2011_DAOC_summer_form.pdf and forward it to the RPSI; the postal address is on the form.

There is also a local shuttle service from Wicklow to Arklow; prices are €11 and can be booked via the phone number above or by the application form.

All the proceeds are being donated to the Ross Nugent Foundation to provide enhanced facilities in the Oncology Unit Beaumont Hospital.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Not a passenger working but for the benefit of any photographers out there, No.186 will run light engine from Whitehead to Connolly on Tuesday 2nd August.

Outline times for the IÉ leg:

Dundalk 12:41
    Drogheda 13:20
    Malahide 13:57
    Connolly 14:16

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

6th and 7th Aug there will also be a model railways exhibition in the town hall in Dun laoghaire

There is also a local shuttle service from Wicklow to Arklow; prices are €11 and can be booked via the phone number above or by the application form.

Tickets for the Wicklow-Arklow local trip are now sold out.

The train will consist of No.186 hauling the RPSI Cravens carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Niles wrote: »
    Not a passenger working but for the benefit of any photographers out there, No.186 will run light engine from Whitehead to Connolly on Tuesday 2nd August.

Outline times for the IÉ leg:

Dundalk 12:41
    Drogheda 13:20
    Malahide 13:57
    Connolly 14:16

Its passed me, i took a video of it on my phone. :)

Next working out of Dublin is scheduled to be a private charter to Mullingar and back on Sunday 28th August. As it's a private charter tickets are not available to the public but photographers may be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Next working out of Dublin is scheduled to be a private charter to Mullingar and back on Sunday 28th August. As it's a private charter tickets are not available to the public but photographers may be interested.

Could someone post up the times for this train,here,whenever they become available?

Rud wrote: »
    Could someone post up the times for this train,here,whenever they become available?

Don't have confirmed times on hand, will have them nearer the date. However, standard course for a Mullingar run is to leave Dublin circa 9:15-9:30, back in the evening around 17:30.

Operations in the next month:

28th August (Sun) Trinity Charter, Pearse-Mullingar-return. steam 186.

8th September (Thurs) GM hauled mkIIs. Whitehead-Belfast-Dublin (one way).

9th September (Fri) 071 hauled "Silvermines" diesel tour. Connolly-Ballybrophy-all Nenagh branch stations-Limerick-direct curve-Connolly.

10th September "Province of Leinster" International railtour. Connolly-Kilkenny-rtn. steam 186.
    11th September "Province of Leinster" International railtour. Connolly-M3 Parkway-Docklands-Mullingar-Connolly. steam 186.
    12th September "Province of Leinster" International railtour. Connolly-Belfast-Whitehead (one way). steam 186.

Rud wrote: »

The ECS is due to run from Connolly to Pearse at 9:05. The actual charter is leaving Pearse @ 10, arriving at Mullingar @ 12. Return departure from Mullingar @ 15:40 for an 18:00 arrival at Pearse. The train will return ECS to Connolly afterwards.

The ECS will likely use the unused platform at Grand Canal Dock to run around though on occasion Pearse running loop has been used for this purpose so although it's likely it's not 100% guaranteed.

There will be another diesel hauled "Mystery Train" from Dublin on 1st October. Details on tickets will be posted in due course.
    It's going to Sligo via Tuam and Kiltimagh! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Surely Niles, with that spoiler you mean April 1st 2012.

Or is Jeremy Clarkson bringing over the Pavee Point Privatisation test train over from the Great Central in England after regauging and consultation with Mr Brian Guckian of sustainable transport Ireland?

THE MYSTERY TRAIN

Saturday 1st October

Treat yourself to a diesel trip in vintage carriages from the early 1960s.

It's 40 years since the last Mystery Train ran in Ireland, that is apart from the one operated in July by the Society. The latter proved so popular that it is being repeated. And, as it's a mystery, it may be the same destination as before – or maybe not!

Depart Dublin Connolly Station 10:30. Back at 18:55.

Fare: Adults €40, Seniors & Under 16s €30.

Tickets on sale at:

Pearse Station, Westland Row.
    EBS Offices at Drumcondra, Malahide and Dun Laoghaire.

Postal Booking Form link

Also, there is some footage on the website of former DSER 2-6-0 No.461 moving for the first time in a over a decade following her long overhaul. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Great to see 461 again looking in great condition! Was really looking forward to seeing her on the Dublin Santa Specials this year (originally on the RPSI website, they had 186 rostered for Belfast and 461 for Dublin), but the loco field on the schedule is now blank :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Postal Booking Form link

Also, there is some footage on the website of former DSER 2-6-0 No.461 moving for the first time in a over a decade following her long overhaul. Link
    Forty years since the last mystery train? Then why do I remember riding mystery trains in the latter half of the 1970s...? or do they mean "steam-powered mystery train" or suchlike?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

CIE wrote: »
    Forty years since the last mystery train? Then why do I remember riding mystery trains in the latter half of the 1970s...? or do they mean "steam-powered mystery train" or suchlike?

RPSI ones, perhaps. CIE ran mystery trains of their own back in the day.

Great to see 461 again looking in great condition! Was really looking forward to seeing her on the Dublin Santa Specials this year (originally on the RPSI website, they had 186 rostered for Belfast and 461 for Dublin), but the loco field on the schedule is now blank :-(

461 will be here for the Santa trips; trust me on this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

461 looks strange in CIE green. Initially looked a bit wrong but i'm coming around to it now. Can't wait to see her back in traffic.

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/locomotives/loco461.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they should swap the tenders between 186 & 461; 461's looks to low for her and 186's looks to bulky for her...

(never mind the technicalities :p)

Some video action from the Docklands and Clonsilla arm of the RPSI trip; there is some wind noise in these clips but it's worth it as IMHO they are gems :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9tLzzNbeY&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF64n4JdXEc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Last Thursday on Capital D, RTE 1 it was announced that the programme next Thursday 22nd @ 7pm would contain a piece about 'steam trains' in Dublin Docklands. :)

• Advertisement

Some video action from the Docklands and Clonsilla arm of the RPSI trip; there is some wind noise in these clips but it's worth it as IMHO they are gems :)

Gems indeed - the gullet is a rarity, (or may be not ???). Many years ago I used to do a semi-regular commute to Clonsilla. The train usually took the other route, but on one occasion it went via the gullet and it was truly fascinating. :)

Gems indeed - the gullet is a rarity, (or may be not ???). Many years ago I used to do a semi-regular commute to Clonsilla. The train usually took the other route, but on one occasion it went via the gullet and it was truly fascinating. :)

The last steam train to work up the gullet was 461 on a Santa some years ago when CTC sent it via Newcomen as a joke. The last steam working out of the freight yard was an special from Spencer Dock that actually ran 40 years ago to the day of the RPSI trip. It's loco that day was also 186.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Used to go to and from Leixlip to Connolly via Newcomen Jct a lot in the late 80's/early 90's when that was the standard routing for Maynooth line commuter trains. Trains left Platform 7 and you used the old commuter entrance on Amiens St.

I think Eiretrains had a video somewhere with a bit of GM thrash on an RPSI special through the gullet. Savage sound.:)

Edit: Apologies,wasn't Eiretrains. It was this one i was thinking of from last years best of both tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

lord lucan wrote: »
    Used to go to and from Leixlip to Connolly via Newcomen Jct a lot in the late 80's/early 90's when that was the standard routing for Maynooth line commuter trains. Trains left Platform 7 and you used the old commuter entrance on Amiens St.
    In the early 80s, trains alternated between both routes; didn't appear to be timetabled as to which one was to be used. This would even be in either direction; I'd rarely use the train into town, but on the few occasions I did ride it in, it'd climb up the Newcomen grade into Platform 7.

CIE wrote: »
    In the early 80s, trains alternated between both routes; didn't appear to be timetabled as to which one was to be used. This would even be in either direction; I'd rarely use the train into town, but on the few occasions I did ride it in, it'd climb up the Newcomen grade into Platform 7.

It was used to relieve the main Sligo line back then as far as Glasnevin Junction. Back then the lines from the docks were very busy with freight traffic which would need access to the line towards Heuston so routing some passenger services up the gullet allowed both lines to be used at once.

BTW I've requested the 071 Class thread be shifted over to TRS as it's lost in C&T - contains brilliant videos of the 071's including Newcomen Jct - courtesy of Eiretrains.

Thread has arrived, thanks Mods - posts no74 Newcomen Jct & post no79 Tara Mines !!!

This evening's episode of Capital D included a feature on the RPSI's visit to Docklands and M3 Parkway, along with the minature railway at Marley Park. It's on RTÉ Player till October 13th. Link. The segment begins at 0:07:02.

Some handsome, virile and wonderful carriage stewards on those RPSI trips, I must say. On my carriage especially :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

461 will be here for the Santa trips; trust me on this ;)

Hope you are right!

• Advertisement

Hope you are right!

I sure am; she had her boiler ticket officially passed out a few weeks ago and is pending a few training runs in the coming days. Rumour has it that she may make an appearance on the Belfast Broomstick Belle; she may also have a few empty workings around the Dublin area before December for the Irish Rail crew to get to grips with her but that's just it, a rumour ;)

Advertisement