Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 Revisited

Options
  • 27-07-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Ive been replaying this recently and i have to say, it actually plays better nowadays than it did in 2004. In 2004 it was behind the times once HL2 came out, but nowadays when every 2nd FPS is a cover based military shooter, Doom 3, as a game where you jsut have big winding maps and nothing but enemies to shoot, actually plays sort of...refreshing.

Theres a fantstic graphical overhaul mod out now called sikkmod. and combined with great looking custom maps like genetic, you can actually make it look pretty great, for a game seven years old

sikkmod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sikkmod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Was another discussion on this game this year here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72206171

But yeah was a decent shocker/shooter. Was a quaaaar one for me to get running. Turned out that I installed it on my win xp machine had to adjust the settings to the lowest to get anything out of it and even then it was juddering! So after getting sick of my pc (for other reasons) I decided to format and re-install windows. Decided what he heck and installed Doom 3 again and it ran! Weird.

I played it using the Trent Reznor sound pack. Highly recommend that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

ah right so, didnt see the earlier thread. if a mod wants to merge them go a head

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ahhh doom 3. I am sort of mixed opinion about it. It had good scary moment. Psychological and isolation way. And them it had 5 million of boo! Secret door behind you opened! Nom nom nom. At one stage I was just entering in to new rooms backwards as 90% of times your enemy is behind you.

I think it still should look great even with no mods. Remember back then my 1ghz athlon with 256 ram and 32mb gpu could run the game lol.

Ahhh doom 3. I am sort of mixed opinion about it. It had good scary moment. Psychological and isolation way. And them it had 5 million of boo! Secret door behind you opened! Nom nom nom. At one stage I was just entering in to new rooms backwards as 90% of times your enemy is behind you.

I think it still should look great even with no mods. Remember back then my 1ghz athlon with 256 ram and 32mb gpu could run the game lol.

You should test out that genetic map. It plays more like survival horror than doom! no teleporting enemies, and the zombies take a load of bullets to kill.

http://www.map-factory.org/doom-3/single-player/genetic-part-i-2-216

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't the biggest fan of it. I didn't hate the game but thought it was lacking. The big killer for me was the lack of feedback from the weapons. Other than the plasma rifle all the weapon sound effects were really poor and they felt like spud guns and the lack of damage feedback or animation on the enemies made the guns feel weaker than they were. Also the spawning of enemies when you picked up a power up got old fast. It was however surprisingly long for an FPS especially when at the time most games like CoD were about 5 hours long.

Saying that I can't wait for Rage which I heard so much good things about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Pfft, its not the original true Doom which was so hardcore that the zombies could run around fire guns to master of puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Pfft, its not the original true Doom which was so hardcore that the zombies could run around fire guns to master of puppets.

The snes version?

REALLY?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Real mean played Doom on PC and laughed at everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i will just add this: i miss health packs and armors :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Always thought it sounded more like The Wolverine by Venom than it did Puppets.

Anyways, I unfortunately never played Doom 3. I'm a huge fan of Doom 1 and 2 (and final Doom), but I didn't own an original Xbox, because I was a PS2 player at the time, so I never got to play number 3. I'll get to play it some day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Music on a FPS :eek: That's just wrong

I love how Doom 1 and 2 ripped off so many metal songs and got away with it :)

omerin wrote: »

Not when it's Nine Inch Nails(Quake) and megadeth(Duke Nukem 3d) doing the music!

tuxy wrote: »
    Not when it's Nine Inch Nails(Quake) and megadeth(Duke Nukem 3d) doing the music!

Im not even a NIN fan but that soundtrack they did for quake 1 is ****ing incredible

The snes version?

REALLY?

The only 16 bit console to my knowledge which could adequately handle Doom, thats pretty hardcore.

The only 16 bit console to my knowledge which could adequately handle Doom, thats pretty hardcore.

Huge screen borders, low fps, slow down. Not really adequate. I rented it back in the day and was not impressed.

Huge screen borders, low fps, slow down. Not really adequate. I rented it back in the day and was not impressed.

It needed an extra chip to handle all the 2D calculations to get it running as well. Still it was far better than the 3DO and 32X versions since it had all the levels and ran better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Woah woah woah, it wasn't better than the 32x version. Played that, the SNES and PC versions to death and the SNES version blew!

32X version had a whole episode cut out, ran at a framerate as bad as the SNES and with dirty great big borders as well. Doom on the SNES at least ran in a screen size bigger than a stamp even if it didn't have ceiling and floor textures.

And then there's the 32X music which sounds like you are being assaulted by flatulence:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

omerin wrote: »

Eh... Why? Music can help create atmosphere if done right, regardless of the game's genre.

• Advertisement

Oh, how wrong I am on the frame rate thing, much worse on the SNES and it's a much lower resolution.

I think it looks pretty good for a 16 bit console from the early 90s. I mean what do you expect?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I loved Doom 3, was creepy out, maybe only because I was young. I remember there was 1 part were there was a zombie in a glass cell that just kept smashing his face off the glass in a drunken daze, It creeped me out so much

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    32X version had a whole episode cut out, ran at a framerate as bad as the SNES and with dirty great big borders as well. Doom on the SNES at least ran in a screen size bigger than a stamp even if it didn't have ceiling and floor textures.

And then there's the 32X music which sounds like you are being assaulted by flatulence:

Wow that actually is the best version of E1M1 ever, way better than Sonic Clang's version, its got a kind of funky wah bass thing going on.

I think it looks pretty good for a 16 bit console from the early 90s. I mean what do you expect?!

They did good considering how slow the snes cpu.

My original post was talking about this

the poster said "the original true Doom" and then linked to a video of the snes version :eek:

They did good considering how slow the snes cpu.

My original post was talking about this

the poster said "the original true Doom" and then linked to a video of the snes version :eek:

Yeah but I didn't mean the snes version specifically, I meant the original doom which was circulating on various platforms, so I linked the snes version because I was too lazy to find the original PC doom. Ironically I've expended more effort just typing this. Then I began defending Snes Doom for some reason. In a way its more hardcore than the PC version because it was lower spec and could still handle Doom.

the ps1 actually had a brilliant ambient horror soundscape sort of audio for doom, definitely way more atmospheric than the horrible midi tunes on the pc version

If you set your midi player up with some great samples then the doom soundtrack sounded amazing. PS1 soundtrack though was great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i loved Doom 3. I agree with Retr0 about the weapons though, they really did feel weak at some points. the atmosphere in some levels was just class and the outdoor bits were a good addition too. the later levels when the base starts getting turned into hell was pretty awesome and there was a certain creepyness to some of the recordings you would find and little cults that started on the base. spoiler:
    i remember deep down in one of the last levels there was a scientist still in his suit working away. i think its the only 'normal' person you meet that isnt getting killed by demons too and there is just this air of creepiness about the whole thing.

i think the games reputation among the gaming public and critics wasnt that fair though, i remember edge giving it a 7 at the time. the single player was definitely better then halo 2 which came out the same year yet that got a ton of praise. i think the biggest problem was that half life 2 came out soon after and kind of blew it, and pretty much everything else, away. im probably a bit biased though as im a sucker for id. i dunno, i just love their graphic designs, art and style and the way the games move. in multiplayer, there are definately no games that feel like them at all, not even the ut series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just remember Doom 3 because it's the first game that I saw bring a computer crashing to it's knees. Seriously, my PC kept going into failsafe because the temps on my CPU were climbing from low 30s to high 90s just trying to run it. Needless to say I upgraded the Geforce 4 MX 440 that was in there :P

Also angry fireball throwing demons that teleport out of nowhere that scare the **** out of you because I ACTUALLY listened to the game manual and only ever played late at night in a dark room with my headphones cranked all the way up on the hard setting.

Advertisement