Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom3 - LttP

Options
  • 14-05-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Not bad. Not amazing, but not bad at all.

Decided to load this one up after maybe 1/2 hours on it's first playthrough 5 or 6 years ago.

Sure, a lot of games have evolved past this one but knock the lights off and turn up the surround sound and it's a great blast.

Gotta love that iDTech4 engine too, very stable, fantastic indoor lighting and hasn't aged to badly at all.

here's a screenie for the Hell* of it:

1589328132.jpg

*see what i did there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Great game, at the time people wanted Doom killing spree and got a horror game so were underwhelmed. I liked it.

Shame Windows 7 seems to find it a struggle to play, im sure theres a fix for it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

motivational-poster-doom-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Remember playing this. One of the scariest games I ever played. Some cheap secret doors behind you had me jump allright, but atmosphere was great in it.

I remember in one room you could clearly see fellow eyes looking at you and then hide behind boxes, but when you come near boxes there is nothing. That got me then!

Good game. Still should look great. I remember when it was in development, there were no pcs to run it on max settings. My old and 1ghz with 256 ram and 32 video pooped it self when I started leaked beta :)

Apologies for the big pic :o Game scared the **** outta me, walking round with a torch and some ugly bastard starts running at me so I take out the shotgun but gotta put away the torch 1st..wait where everyone go! Put back on the torch and surrounding by 8 of em = pants cack

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sheehy83 wrote: »
    motivational-poster-doom-3.jpg

Hahahahahah fair play :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Great game, at the time people wanted Doom killing spree and got a horror game so were underwhelmed. I liked it.

Shame Windows 7 seems to find it a struggle to play, im sure theres a fix for it somewhere.

Plugging away fine here for me, all I made sure to do was update to the 1.3.1 patch and set the res to suit my widescreen monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

quarryman wrote: »
    Plugging away fine here for me, all I made sure to do was update to the 1.3.1 patch and set the res to suit my widescreen monitor.

yeah prolly that, oddly recall getting the "leaked e3 demo" and it melting my pc at the time :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jesus, haven't played this game in yonks. Playing it on you're own in a dark room was nasty shìt.

I used to screw about with the in-game spawner for the craìc and throw odd pictures up on a Doom 3 community site. Went looking for them and can't believe they're over 5 years old :eek:

Where's the usual receptionist? Oh........eh........he's..........sick today.
    1137372973_61.jpg

"Hey Joe, watcha doin? What's that? What would happen if I pressed this?"
    1137536312_72.jpg

Aw thats class man, turning Doom 3 into comedy is genius! more please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I think I did something crazy like played the whole thing through from 11am at night to 9am the next morning when I first got it. Love the game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,994 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the game would be terrible. It exceeded my expectations but was only mediocre. Switching from flashlight to gun was unintuitive and since all the scares were cheap monster closet scares and no psychological dread it got old fast and I was tired and bored of them before the end. Not IDs best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Atmosphere and graphics were amazing.

Gameplay had barely evolved from the late 80s / early 90s.

Got bored with it very quickly indeed, especially the lack of environmental variety. Doom is a classic. Doom 3 just felt like an uncomfortable attempt to reinvigorate a gameplay style which had grown up into something very different. It was released the same year as Half-Life 2 - it could only seem basic compared to the most important FPS of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Do people still play online on it? I might pick this up whenever I get a new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Doom and Doom 2 in addition to Quake were very creepy, possibly due to John Romero being at the helm of all three. Quake would probably be the most disturbing as it wasn't drawing upon conventional hell mythology but Lovecraftian ideas, it was medieval, dark and weird. I prefer the creature designs of Doom and Doom2 to Doom3, they were more rooted in classical imagery for me, with the minotaur heads and the fact that the imps were slight elven looking things. Also liked the medieval/sci fi fusion and the odd images of pirates on the walls. The fact that there wasn't much in the way of story meant that you could construct your own version of events from the random imagery, I used to imagine the portraits on the walls were of demonic deities which the demons worshipped.

Doom 3 by contrast didn't have these elements. The creature designs just looked like generic 2000s monsters. However I did like the hellraiser reference in defeating one of the bosses. Also the Sarge is going to get lines were funny because you'd just think, ah what the hell, until one shock moment into the game and you get really freaked out because of what you shrugged off earlier as bad attempts at psyching you out. The blood smeared messages on the walls were also disturbing. However there was no soundtrack for the levels and the hell levels didn't match up to the same medieval weirdness of Doom 1&2. In addition was there a reference to some old myth when the scientist guy's head appears out from the mouth of the dragon at the end?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The high res texture and lighting mods make it look a bit shinier, worth a look if you're interested in replaying it at a higher graphics setting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I never really enjoyed this game much. Lost interest after an hour or two. The levels were too confined. I'd much rather dash about Quake 2 singleplayer at a hundred miles an hour where you've space to rocket jump about and act the maggot. Quake 2 singleplayer wasn't even that great but it's a lot less linear than modern level design and the speed is kind of refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    since all the scares were cheap monster closet scares and no psychological dread it got old fast and I was tired and bored of them before the end. Not IDs best.
    Quickly leanrt that medipak near dark corner meant there was monster in the dark corner...

Lack of a creepy soundtrack went against it as well.

Advertisement