Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan will allow 16-year-olds to buy condoms

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

System is backwards,im not sure if teens know the age of consent or legal aspects of sex with males only facing prosecution if have underage sex.

Either way,Sell them at a reduce rate for teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Maybe underage people shouldn't buy condoms. I remember when I was 15, I got the idea in my head that I need to have condoms, just in case my awkward inexperienced charms got a lady so excited she couldn't wait.

So I decided that rather than being a pussy and use a pub toilet, I'd be a man. So I confidently strolled into my local spar.

Me: "A 3 pack of fetherlite durex please" (Trying to sound like I do it all the time)

Shopkeeper: "Oh no, these aren't scanning in. BRIAN, COME OVER HERE. THESE CONDOMS AREN'T SCANNING IN"
    Brian: "Oh no, better call the manager. (Across the store) JOE. WHAT'S THE CODE FOR THESE CONDOMS....DUREX EXTRA SMALL. THIS GUY HERE WANT'S TO BUY THEM"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What makes you think it's "boys pleading" ? Do girls not actually want sex ?

And no-one should need an "excuse" not to go all the way. It's a choice. And while yes is yes (great), no is no.

Anyone - guy or girl - who's with someone who "pleads" is with someone who's too immature to be with.

And if they "give in" to "pleading" then they're immature themselves.

If they want to and are mature, then fine.

But again, if they feel they "can't" say no, then they're too immature and/or with the wrong person.
    I get what you're saying and agree with it but teenagers are for the most part immature and a part of immaturity is being unable to recognise immaturity. So pleading and the like are what to expect from teenagers.

I don't know if you were a teen in the 80s but pregnancy and AIDs were two big fears and the lack of availability of condoms meant that teens were more likely to abstain from sex in my opinion. Obviously plenty of people still did it anyway though but I'd say that there was a proportion who didn't because of no condoms. I remember a neighbour of mine got pregnant at 15 in the early 80s and you'd think she was the scarlet woman the way some people got on.

The way I see it is that making condoms available to 16 year olds may put pressure on them to use them. It's a bit like if you were 18 and didn't drink your mates would look at you like you were some sort of holy joe.

I'm probably rambling a bit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I get what you're saying and agree with it but teenagers are for the most part immature and a part of immaturity is being unable to recognise immaturity.

Which is why I view them as too young.
    I don't know if you were a teen in the 80s but pregnancy and AIDs were two big fears and the lack of availability of condoms meant that teens were more likely to abstain from sex in my opinion.

I was, actually. But AIDS wasn't the reason I didn't have sex - it just wasn't a priority of mine. Maybe I am different, or maybe everyone else makes such a big deal of it and I'm the one who actually views it the way it should be - no big deal. I dunno.
    It's a bit like if you were 18 and didn't drink your mates would look at you like you were some sort of holy joe.

Then they're not mates, and again if you give in to that crap you're way too immature.

That said, given the amount of posts on here where people try to laugh at you because you don't get sloshed every night, maybe there are whole areas of the country where immature views re sex and drink are the norm and where people begrudge and frown on the ability to think for yourself.

If someone looks down on me for not binge-drinking or not riding all around me, that's their issue, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

while they're at it, maybe they could also lower the PRICE of condoms? No wonder people are falling pregnant when you have to fork out that much for a pack of 10. (considering that in other countries, you can buy packs of 24 condoms for 4 euros...)

(yes, babies are obviously more expensive in the long run - but if you're a cash-strapped teenager or student, you only see '12 quid for a couple of condoms or 3 pints?', and you'll go for the pints and worry about contraception later.)

Apart from that, I don't get why there's an age restriction on buying condoms at all. They make great balloons, too, don't you know - fun for the whole family!

Seriously though, I don't see the problem. Better be safe than sorry, and seeing the teenage pregnancy rates, I'd rather have my kids buy condoms at age 14 than come home pregnant! And they could also up the sex ed, and tell kids WHY condoms may be a good idea, and how to use them properly...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

~I thought that 16 was the legal age of consent...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

annascott wrote: »
    ~I thought that 16 was the legal age of consent your honour...

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

This kinda reminds me of when our college was giving out free condoms, family member went mad, couldnt believe it lol

If there was better week in college to hit on girls I must have missed it ;), They always had the hot girls handing them too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

I didn't bother reading anything apart from the first post (my bad)... is there seriously a law disallowing people under 17 to buy condoms? I don't believe it, and it certainly isn't enforced anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

marxcoo wrote: »
    I didn't bother reading anything apart from the first post (my bad)... is there seriously a law disallowing people under 17 to buy condoms? I don't believe it, and it certainly isn't enforced anyway.

If you had bothered you would know the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

If you had bothered you would know the answer.

Still not going to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Nowhere near it.

I'm just saying that the correct way to bring up kids is to make them mature and independent and confident enough to say "no, f**k off".

And the simply, inescapable fact that it feels good and they might actually want to do it has never crossed your mind? No, it HAS to be peer pressure, right?

*facepalm*

How many teenage males know if they are underage and have sex with their underage girlfriend,if they got caught,only male will get charged :confused:

This is literally one of the most sickening laws we have in this country. Equality my hole.

XD
    I remember Sex Ed at my school. We had the anonymous question box, first question to be pulled out of it was "Does it shrivel up with age... You know what I mean", second question began with "Is there any other hole in a girl's body which can get her..." we never heard the end of the question due ti the hysterical roaring of laughter :D

LiamByrne's obvious issue is that he, just like most teenage boys, wanted it before the age of consent, but got burned many, many times.

How you could still be bitter about it, however, is puzzling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

A few years ago at 16 I can remember me and two friends went into Boots so he could get a condom as a girl hinted that they'd do it that weekend(Hah didnt know he'd be waiting two years! :pac:).

When ever I look back I just think of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

So now you need an ID to buy a condom?

hahahahaha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

mconigol wrote: »
    They should ban those machines and also only allow chemists to sell condoms during school hours and not at all during summer, easter, halloween or christmas.

That'll learn them teenagers.

:pac:

"Of course you can have some condoms. After you SOLVE THESE THREE RIDDLES!"

Advertisement