Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan will allow 16-year-olds to buy condoms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The fact that normal people know that it isn't is a bad sign in itself.

Heroin, cocaine, whatever......I couldn't give a crap how it's taken and I don't really want to know because I'm not that anxious to appear "cool" and "with it" if that involves being au fait with what idiots do.

hahahaha, this post was hilarious! For some reason I read the second part in Grandpa Simpson's voice!

Glad that you think it's a laughing matter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They should be free like they are in civilised countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

Of course the church will be against this as they have alway's frowned upon contraception,they never had any use for it as there's no chance of getting young boy's pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Contraception for the horniest people alive Joe. Its a disgrace.

Most 16 year olds would shag anything that moves given the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

WindSock wrote: »
    If you want lubed or ribbed for her pleasure, then you pay. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If you want lubed or ribbed for her pleasure, then you pay. :cool:

Its only fair that you should pay something for a spot of arse sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Abortions for some miniature american condoms for others.

If any person is going to have sex they have the right to protect themselves and no big nosed Duffite should have the right to stop them.

Proper education of young girls so they know not to get themselves up to the duff to early would fix the rest of it. You can't bring in laws to fight nature, young adults will have sex there's absolutely nothing that anyone can do about it. It's nature and you will lose if you try to fight an animals reproductive drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Snotra

WindSock wrote: »

.. and handed out for free in schools!

I remember sex education when I was around 13-14, we weren't even allowed to leave without a fist full of condoms. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Snotra wrote: »

I remember sex education when I was around 13-14, we weren't even allowed to leave without a fist full of condoms. :)

Really we were told they couldn't be discussed as it went against the school ethos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

They started sex ed in my school when I was in 6th class. It was brought in so that you started in 4th class so we basically would only have got a year of it. We shared a room with the 4th class students and instead of letting us get the one year we were made leave the class rooom when the sex ed was taking place. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Awwww I remember sex ed, When I was 16 in 4th year... The talk was given by a nun! It was all about how your voice goes deeper and some hair grows in areas.

But the wet dream speech was the weirdest part.. 'You might need to get your PJs into the wash before your mother sees them'

Not one word of sex, condoms or STIs..

I took the piss as my folks took the job on and told me all about it years before. But seriously some of the guys in the class learned things that day which makes me sad..

Did you know that in the UK they start sex ed as young at 7 or 8 ( just the basics like body parts and all that) but by the time they are 12 they know everything. Here in Ireland its swept all under the carpet and hopefully no one will bring it up attitude

wild_cat wrote: »
    Really we were told they couldn't be discussed as it went against the school ethos?

Oh, I didn't attend secondary school in Ireland. But that was part of the national education plan and no one seemed to think there was anything wrong with it.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Awwww I remember sex ed, When I was 16 in 4th year... The talk was given by a nun! It was all about how your voice goes deeper and some hair grows in areas.

But the wet dream speech was the weirdest part.. 'You might need to get your PJs into the wash before your mother sees them'

Not one word of sex, condoms or STIs..

I took the piss as my folks took the job on and told me all about it years before. But seriously some of the guys in the class learned things that day which makes me sad..

Did you know that in the UK they start sex ed as young at 7 or 8 ( just the basics like body parts and all that) but by the time they are 12 they know everything. Here in Ireland its swept all under the carpet and hopefully no one will bring it up attitude

I'm not too familiar with the Irish school system to be honest - so I'll refrain on being too harsh on it.

But... A NUN?! For sex education?! :D

What does sex education in Ireland really cover? Is it just "changes" to your body or do they allow a discussion about sex (not just the bad parts like STI etc..)?

seamus wrote: »
    Are you male? And do you remember being 15? I don't know about you, but no amount of "hold off until you're mature enough" would have prevented me from jumping at the possibility of sex had it presented itself.

Yes, I'm male
    Yes, I remember being 15

And yes, I was perfectly able to have the cop-on to hold of on sex until well after that, despite a number of opportunities (one or two which were less than subtle, but I won't mention names! ;):D ).

Maybe I don't give my parents enough credit for actually putting a shedload of common sense into me compared to others.

I just don't understand the mentality.....it's like someone saying "15 year olds will drink"......no they won't, if they're brought up properly. I'd no problem staying off sex, or drink, and I don't understand the concept of not being able to have self-control and common sense.

My dad told me that I could start drinking any time, as long as he bought the first. As a result, he bought it for me at my 18th birthday party.

And this has nothing to do with religious beliefs, btw, before anyone tries to dismiss it as that. I'm not even remotely religious.

But preparation for life involves knowing when you should and shouldn't do something. The "I want it now" culture is what has us where we are today.

Anyway, maybe there's a massive difference between the way some of us were brought up or something.....I just don't understand the fascination or obsession with having sex or boozing or a whole host of other stuff that people seem to accept that "teenagers will do"; if they're given the right upbringing and the scope to apply common sense, there's no need to indulge in stuff that can easily wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

in before snyper, giggity goo and all that bollox

Poor old snyper.

mackg wrote: »
    Reality is over here buddy, there are few single(;)) men of any age that will turn down sex, expecting a 15/16 year old to do it is mental.

:rolleyes: The "men" that you know must be pretty sad and desperate.

It's meant to be fun, and the Irish hang-up about it is ridiculous, but you don't do it "just for the sake of it".

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'm not too familiar with the Irish school system to be honest - so I'll refrain on being too harsh on it.

But... A NUN?! For sex education?! :D

What does sex education in Ireland really cover? Is it just "changes" to your body or do they allow a discussion about sex (not just the bad parts like STI etc..)?

I think it depends on who is teaching the class.

When I was in sixth class we got the talk on how babies are made, and changes to you're body etc etc. Then in SPHE class in First Year we got told about Condoms, STD's and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Glad that you think it's a laughing matter :rolleyes:

I just think your posts a laughing matter. Your posts are so out of touch with reality it's mind-boggling!

Here's a perfect example
    mackg wrote: »
    Reality is over here buddy, there are few single(wink.gif) men of any age that will turn down sex, expecting a 15/16 year old to do it is mental.
    rolleyes.gif The "men" that you know must be pretty sad and desperate.

Have you never MET a man? If you think the men that you know would turn down sex from a good looking woman you're completely mistaken!

In fact, should you be a single man and you turned it down, i'd seriously consider your sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

See what you are saying but 15/16 year olds can still make mistakes or get carried away. I'd prefer them buying condoms than a young girl having to get the emergency pill and facing some of the doctors that have attitudes about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Have you never MET a man? If you think the men that you know would turn down sex from a good looking woman you're completely mistaken!

In fact, should you be a single man and you turned it down, i'd seriously consider your sanity!

In that case thanks for questioning my sanity.......but I'm perfectly happy with it, thanks.

I'm not so desperate for sex that I have to grab every single opportunity whether I want to have it or not.

I love steak, too. But I don't eat it if I'm not hungry.

• Advertisement

In that case thanks for questioning my sanity.......but I'm perfectly happy with it, thanks.

I'm not so desperate for sex that I have to grab every single opportunity whether I want to have it or not.

I love steak, too. But I don't eat it if I'm not hungry.

Steak and Sex are 2 very different things. For a start it should take you more than 30 seconds to eat a Steak :P

The fact here is, if a 15 or 16 year old has gotten to the stage, perhaps despite pro-active parenting and sex education and all that jazz, where they actually need to buy condoms, then it's quite obvious they have made the decision to have sex.

Buying condoms in fact shows great maturity and responsibility. Some people think if you dont make them available that will stop people having sex. These people are idiots!

I was having sex when I was 16. I always used condoms. Sex is great now and sex was great when I was 16. I was careful and nothing but good things came from it. What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yes, I'm male
    Yes, I remember being 15

And yes, I was perfectly able to have the cop-on to hold of on sex until well after that, despite a number of opportunities (one or two which were less than subtle, but I won't mention names! ;):D ).

Your fanciful tales of the steely determination it took to not get laid aside - how is your arbitrary definition of when it's ok to fuck someone better than anyone else's?

Your fanciful tales of the steely determination it took to not get laid aside - how is your arbitrary definition of when it's ok to fuck someone better than anyone else's?

Someone who can't control their base impulses isn't mature.

Part of learning for life is determining when to act on them and when to hold off.

If a teenager has that sussed, then they're mature enough to have sex; if they haven't, then they're not mature enough to have sex.

Mind you, given that lots of posts here seem to imply that drinking to excess is macho, and that saying "I don't want one" or "I've had enough" is something to be ridiculed, I doubt the point behind the above fact will be understood.

Steak and Sex are 2 very different things. For a start it should take you more than 30 seconds to eat a Steak :P

The fact here is, if a 15 or 16 year old has gotten to the stage, perhaps despite pro-active parenting and sex education and all that jazz, where they actually need to buy condoms, then it's quite obvious they have made the decision to have sex.

Buying condoms in fact shows great maturity and responsibility. Some people think if you dont make them available that will stop people having sex. These people are idiots!

I was having sex when I was 16. I always used condoms. Sex is great now and sex was great when I was 16. I was careful and nothing but good things came from it. What's the problem?

All that would sound great - and relatively mature - if you hadn't snidely implied earlier that it wasn't actually possible to turn down sex from a good-looking woman.

That earlier post completely negates your post above.

Part of learning for life is determining when to act on them and when to hold off.

If a teenager has that sussed, then they're mature enough to have sex; if they haven't, then they're not mature enough to have sex.

Exactly. This 15/16 year old has shown that they CAN control their urges and rather than just give into them and risk ended up with a baby, they make the concious and responsible decision, the mature decision, to protect themselves from pregnancy and STIs. What exactly is wrong with this scenario?

All that would sound great - and relatively mature - if you hadn't snidely implied earlier that it wasn't actually possible to turn down sex from a good-looking woman.

That earlier post completely negates your post above.

I never said it was impossible! I said most men would not turn it down.

You see, it's not hard to have safe sex these days. So why turn down sex from a good looking woman? You'll enjoy it, she'll enjoy it if she has low standards, everything is safe and everybody wins.

I seriously don't see your gripe here with people having access to condoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yeah, y'see - the correct answer to that question was "it isn't".

All this is just you peddling your totally arbitrary justifications about why your decision to wait until some poorly self-defined milestone was awesome and everyone should be more like you.

Exactly. This 15/16 year old has shown that they CAN control their urges and rather than just give into them and risk ended up with a baby, they make the concious and responsible decision, the mature decision, to protect themselves from pregnancy and STIs. What exactly is wrong with this scenario?

No. They haven't shown that they "CAN control their urges". They've planned to give in to them.

It solves the immediate problems and risks, which is infinitely better than nothing, but if they are just going to have it because it's available then they're not mature enough to have it.

I seriously don't see your gripe here with people having access to condoms

I don't have a gripe with "people" having access to condoms.

I have an issue with immature teenagers having access to them, and facilitating that mindset being peddled as "progressive".
    All this is just you peddling your totally arbitrary justifications about why your decision to wait until some poorly self-defined milestone was awesome and everyone should be more like you.

What are you on about ? :rolleyes: How is the legal age - 17 - my own personal "poorly self-defined milestone" ?

• Advertisement

No. They haven't shown that they "CAN control their urges". They've planned to give in to them.

It solves the immediate problems and risks, which is infinitely better than nothing, but if they are just going to have it because it's available then they're not mature enough to have it.

No, you're wrong here. Just because they're giving into the urges, does not make them immature at all. Where are you getting this from?

Haven't you ever "given into the urge"? Are you immature for giving into the urge? The vast vast majority of adults are not virgins. Does that make the vast majority of adults immature?

Having sex does not equal immaturity, you're talking out of your hat!

Advertisement