Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan will allow 16-year-olds to buy condoms

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/plan-will-allow-16yearolds-to-buy-condoms-2830219.html
    THE Government will consider a controversial new law allowing teenagers as young as 16 to buy condoms -- despite not being old enough to legally have sex.
    In a major report published today, the Law Reform Commission will recommend that 16 and 17-year-olds should be able to consent to and refuse medical treatment, including over-the-counter medicines, surgery and mental health services.
    However, it has called for 16-year-olds to be able to access treatment, including contraception, without their parents' knowledge. This is in spite of the age of consent being 17.
    The commission is also recommending that only in "exceptional circumstances" should those aged under 16 years be able to make such decisions without parental knowledge.
    But in such cases, health care professionals must first assess the patient's level of maturity and encourage them to involve their parents or guardians in making the decision. In its final report on 'Children and the Law: Medical Treatment', the commission acknowledged the "complex interaction" between the rights, responsibilities and roles of parents and young people. It makes 20 recommendations aimed at clarifying the existing law in the area which allows 16 and 17-year-olds to allow or refuse treatment and ensuring young people's views are fully taken into account.
    Contraception
    However, in recommending that 16-year-olds be able to buy contraception, it creates an anomaly as the legal age of consent in Ireland is 17 years.
    Fianna Fail spokesman on children, Charlie McConalogue, welcomed the report, but said there was an issue with 16-year-olds accessing contraception. "The object of government policy has to be to try and encourage young people not to engage in sexual activity until they're ready for it and not before the legal age of consent.
    "This document will be a useful contribution to what is a sensitive debate and I welcome the fact that the Law Reform Commission is looking at this issue," he added. The commission also envisages a situation where under 16s could access medical care, including contraception, without the knowledge of their parents. However, it argues that this must only happen in exceptional circumstances. It conceded that while the issue of contraception will garner much media and public attention, it stressed that its report does not make any recommendations on the wider topics of teenage pregnancy and availability of contraception.
    The commission also called for those aged 16 and 17 to be presumed to have the capacity to make an advance care directive.
    Such "living wills" set out what treatment a person wants to have, in the event they are incapacitated through their illness and can include directions such as not resuscitate them in event of heart failure.
    However, it added that where any person under 18 refuses life-sustaining treatment, an application to the High Court would still be required."An assessment of a minor and a young person by a trained and experienced health care professional is crucial in determining capacity, rather than assuming capacity on the basis of age," said the report. The report also calls for the Mental Health Act 2001 to be amended so that a mental health tribunal rather than the District Court reviews the admission and treatment of young people under 18 years of age.

Why do i have a feeling this wont go ahead,and if it does,the busybodies will be on tv and radio objecting trying to stop this :confused:

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's terrible Joe. It's better that they get/make someone pregnant and live with the consequences of sex out of wedlock. The little feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Better than them using no protection. They should reduce all ages of consent to a flat 16 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I thought they had got rid of the age restriction on condoms years ago here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Buy them in pub toilets.... problem solved.

I remember being 16, getting laid was the hard part not buying protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I think this is a great idea although i wonder why they pick 16? A lot of younger teenagers are having sex nowdays and plenty of 16 year olds can get into pubs/buy condoms in the bathrooms anyway. It's unfortunate that kids are having sex so young but at least many will be protected rather than getting pregnant/disease/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in before snyper, giggity goo and all that bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

I was not aware there was a minimum age for buying condoms.
    They should be available to anyone having sex regardless of age .
    I would prefer 14 or 15 year olds buying and using condoms rather than risking pregnancy and STIs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

In fairness, we all know teenagers under 17 have sex.
    By allowing teenagers as young as 16 to buy condoms will reduce teenage pregnancy and STDs. This is a good thing.

Its crazy when you think about it. Lets say a 14yo teenage boy wants to go into a pharmacy to buy condoms .... staff say no. too young. That right there could effect future outcomes. He could get a girl pregnant, he could of catch something.

Personally, I think teenagers should be allowed to buy condoms. This isnt a pack of smokes or beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

young ones are sluts..end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

dee. wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea although i wonder why they pick 16? A lot of younger teenagers are having sex nowdays and plenty of 16 year olds can get into pubs/buy condoms in the bathrooms anyway. It's unfortunate that kids are having sex so young but at least many will be protected rather than getting pregnant/disease/etc.

My own theory is maybe because teens on the border counties can go over the north and buy them with ease!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

most shopping center jacks have machines, what's the big deal yo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ridiculous that there's any age restriction on condoms, it's not like they're a dangerous drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It should be against the law to prevent anyone, regardless of age, from buying condoms. There was an episode of "What Would You Do?" where they addressed the issue of chemists refusing to sell condoms to teens (which is illegal in whichever state they were in).

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Feck sake did fingering die a death in this country??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dee. wrote: »

Surely the average age for people to lose their virginity is older than ever now? Sure 13 was an acceptable age to get married in the 1800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

in before snyper, giggity goo and all that bollox
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Won't someone please think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

young ones are sluts..end of story.

Hi I'm Chris Hansen, why dont you take a seat over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Wait there was a law that says you can't buy condoms if you're <17? I get ID'd _every time_ i buy drink because I look about 12. I've never been ID'd buying condoms... http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1238576/interdasting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

smokedeels wrote: »
    Buy them in pub toilets.... problem solved.

I remember being 16, getting laid was the hard part not buying protection.

Still the hard part :rolleyes:

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

there was an age restriction on buying condoms???

who knew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's an age limit o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I don't know which is more awkward, being 16 and buying condoms illegally from a chemist or being a chemist and asking a person for ID to buy condoms. Seriously, how is this even an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

--LOS-- wrote: »
    there was an age restriction on buying condoms???

who knew

condoms were illegal to sell outside chemists in this country up until 1992, thats just batsh1t insane, and completely illegal before 1978 they had to be prescribed by a doctor and only to married couples.

there should be condom machines in secondary schools, teenagers have sex, always have, always will, better they have easy access to them and reduce the risk of unwanted pregnancies and std's than offending parents and the moral brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was listening to a radio discussion about this on 4FM earlier, and the level of "parenting" involved was astounding!

Basically a good few callers reckoned that the responsible thing to do was to allow kids to buy condoms.

There was absolutely no level of concern or thought put into actually telling kids that holding off on having sex was a damn good idea until they were mature enough to handle it.

Basically they were treating the kids like babies who throw a tantrum screaming "but I WAAAANNNNNTTTT to".

Absolutely ridiculous, and if that's what passes for parenting in this country it's no wonder we're over-run with kids deserving ASBOs.

"But they'll do it anyway"

Not if you bring them up right to have their own mind and not be an idiotic prat when it comes to peer pressure.

What next ? Supply them with needles just because they're not mature enough to say "no, f**k off, to some idiot who wants them to try cocaine" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

God be with the days an oul hand shandy would have done

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I was listening to a radio discussion about this on 4FM earlier, and the level of "parenting" involved was astounding!

Basically a good few callers reckoned that the responsible thing to do was to allow kids to buy condoms.

There was absolutely no level of concern or thought put into actually telling kids that holding off on having sex was a damn good idea until they were mature enough to handle it.

Basically they were treating the kids like babies who throw a tantrum screaming "but I WAAAANNNNNTTTT to".

Absolutely ridiculous, and if that's what passes for parenting in this country it's no wonder we're over-run with kids deserving ASBOs.

Not if you bring them up right to have their own mind and not be an idiotic prat when it comes to peer pressure.

What next ? Supply them with needles just because they're not mature enough to say "no, f**k off, to some idiot who wants them to try cocaine" ?

are you seriously equating having sex with doing hard drugs?

also who uses needles to do coke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

krudler wrote: »
    are you seriously equating having sex with doing hard drugs?

Nowhere near it.

I'm just saying that the correct way to bring up kids is to make them mature and independent and confident enough to say "no, f**k off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Injecting Cocaine?? Is that all the rage now??

Ah Joe have you heard this, ah Joe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Condoms can be bought by anybody of any age. There is no limit on their sale. Nothing story.

Advertisement