Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep, a real waste of time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I suggest that the OP should think about the wastefulness of sleep the next time they are stuck in traffic for an hour trying to get to a place where they have to spend 8 hours a day doing something they hate only to once again get stuck in traffic with all the other people who are on night release from their prison cubicle.

I love sleep, being tired and lying down knowing that your about to enter a magical kingdom where you can be and do anything you want is a wonderful gift, I was Super Mario last night, I can't wait to see what adventure I conjure up for myself tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I wish I could find the time to sleep. Presently, I'm getting by on cat naps any time I can get them. I look like a zombie. I had three hours sleep last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Apparently you can train yourseld within 2 or 3 weeks to only need two hours sleep indefinitely and be just as healthy and alert as 8 hours sleep. You need to do it in 6 20 minute naps every day spread out evenly. You can't miss even one. You have to get the naps in.

I seen on another site a guy did it. He called it uberman sleep cycle. It was in Seinfeld too. Its name is polyphasic sleep.

Disadvantages the guy experienced was lack of energy, said he could only exercise for a short while before his muscles were hurting, he was also completely bored with all the extra time :)

I used to do with 3 hours sleep a night when I worked 12 hour shifts. Work 4am-4pm come home and not go to bed til 12. Repeat. After the 3 days I worked I would be in bits and have to make up a little on the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's only when we are deprived of sleep or trying to be superman/woman that you realise how beneficial sleep is to our physical and mental well being .I like my sleep and also to cat nap when I can to recharge the batteries, and unless I've ate something before bedtime that doesn't agree with me,I dont have much bother sleeping for 6 or 7 hrs .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Its an interesting question.

Satoshi Tajiri the creator of Pokemon used to stay up 24 hours and then sleep for an extended period back in the late 1990s.

He said this helped him to create more ideas.

This sometimes helps me but at times I really feel I need sleep to recoup and recharge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

karaokeman wrote: »
    Satoshi Tajiri the creator of Pokemon used to stay up 24 hours and then sleep for an extended period back in the late 1990s.

He said this helped him to create more ideas.

Sh1t ideas, if Pokemon is anything to go by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I love sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I love sleep
    Be cool to stick a few z z z z zed's under your username to .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've worked my way down from seven hours to six. I think I could maybe get down to five and a half but certainly not any lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Maggie Thatcher would agree with the OP: she got about four hours a night while UK PM. She reportedly stayed up for the whole of the Falklands War, taking only 20-minute naps. I'd be dead in a week ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i can live on 4-5 hours, if there was something I could take that meant i never had to sleep , I would go for it in 2 seconds, its definitley a waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Ageing is a disease, once we cure it you won't have to worry about the time you are losing via sleep.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-11/harvard-creates-mice-grow-younger-which-could-lead-human-anti-aging-treatments

Someday maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What I want to know is why I feel full of energy just before bedtime, and utterly exhausted when I wake up?

3-4 hours per night does me & I can easily go 2 days without sleep. But on Saturday, I do lay in for an extra 2-3 hours of lucid dreaming. Very hard to stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I love sleep couldn't live without a decent kip! If I could be anywhere for a day it be in my bed snoozing!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If you didnt have to sleep for your (op's) 6hrs a night you'd have 25% more chance of killing yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

But what if there's feck all good on the telly?
    theres allways boards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

What I want to know is why I feel full of energy just before bedtime, and utterly exhausted when I wake up?

3-4 hours per night does me & I can easily go 2 days without sleep. But on Saturday, I do lay in for an extra 2-3 hours of lucid dreaming. Very hard to stop :D

That's quite common. Your diet is probably to blame. Stop eating bread, rice, pasta, legumes and dairy. These foods are causing havoc with your your hormones as well as being a major cause of cancer and neurodegenerative diseases such as parkinson's. Also make sure to get at least 8 hours sleep in absolute pitch black darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

That's quite common. Your diet is probably to blame. Stop eating bread, rice, pasta, legumes and dairy. These foods are causing havoc with your your hormones as well as being a major cause of cancer and neurodegenerative diseases such as parkinson's. Also make sure to get at least 8 hours sleep in absolute pitch black darkness.

Out of that list, I only eat bread regularly, and maybe a little cheese.

Besides, I wasn't complaining....it's just funny how people generally feel more tired just after they've woken up. Of course, it only lasts a few minutes.

Oh, and pretty much everything is a major cause of cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

So it's kinda like a defrag? :pac:

More CCleaner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14279123

I acutally just read this study yesterday.

Long story short, if you get less than 6 hours sleep every night for 2 weeks, that's the same as going 2 FULL nights with NO sleep.

I rarely get 6 hours. It seriously impacts on my life. My memory, my mood, my overall well-being are greatly affected.

I get about 5 hours at the moment, but this is interupted at least once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

krudler wrote: »
    I only sleep 5-6 hours a night, sometimes less and function fine, one morning a week I might lie in for a few hours and charge the batteries but aside from that a few hours a night does me

So basically you get the same amount of sleep as the rest of us, but in a different way? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I was just thinking about this very thing last week.I'd love to be able to get by on only a few hours of sleep a day as 24 hour days don't seem to be enough most of the time.Despite my best efforts of reducing my sleeping hours,anything less than 7/8 hours just isn't enough.Being very active really takes it out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Having not slept for 3 days straight once, and starting to hallucinate somewhat... seeing spots, and seeing things move at the edge of me vision... not pleasant.

Sleeping is a necessity, else you'd just go insane. If you push yourself enough deliberately trying not to sleep you'd be dangering yourself... where your brain would just force yourself to fall asleep, regardless of what you're doing. Think of numerous scenarios of where'd that be dangerous in.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I need 8 hours a night, otherwise I'm a moody b!tch:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I really enjoy sleep and treat it more as a pleasure than a necessity. Theres nothing like getting in a good eight hours after a long day.

Presumably all this time in bed is what has given you your username.

Anyway, if it wasn't for sleep, you'd have to talk to each other after sex and run the risk of making stupid promises. Sleep it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye it sucks to waste so much time sleeping, unfortunately I either don't get any sleep or over-sleep, both make you feel like sh!t.

Advertisement