Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep, a real waste of time?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else think that we lose too much time to sleep?

We will lose a quarter or more of our life to it. If you sleep 6 hours a night and are lucky enough to live until you are 80, then that means you will have slept a whole 20 years of your life. Just think, 20 years :eek:

We are not around that long, so sleeping away so much is such a waste. I'd settle for a 2 hour quick charge a night but think 6 is a bit too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

In before "ilovesleep"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ageing is a disease, once we cure it you won't have to worry about the time you are losing via sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭amacca

jester77 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that we lose too much time to sleep?

We will lose a quarter or more of our life to it. If you sleep 6 hours a night and are lucky enough to live until you are 80, then that means you will have slept a whole 20 years of your life. Just think, 20 years :eek:

We are not around that long, so sleeping away so much is such a waste. I'd settle for a 2 hour quick charge a night but think 6 is a bit too much.

given that sleep is necessary to prevent a person going insane I would suggest you have been depriving yourself of it for quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

it would be great if you could get by on 2 hours sleep a day without harming your body long term...think of all the extra hobbies etc you could take up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Ageing is a disease, once we cure it you won't have to worry about the time you are losing via sleep.

I'd settle for that... once they don't increase the pension age :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Yesterday I was flying in spaceship with Megan Fox. You spent 8 hours looking at cat pictures on the internet.

I win!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sleep is necessary, but apparently you can train yourself to get about four hours of sleep a day (apparently we only need four to six a day) spread across a number of short naps over a 24-hour period and be more refreshed than after an 8-hour sleep. Obviously that might be hard to work into one's schedule. I'm also too lazy to change my rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I only sleep 5-6 hours a night, sometimes less and function fine, one morning a week I might lie in for a few hours and charge the batteries but aside from that a few hours a night does me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'd settle for a 2 hour quick charge a night but think 6 is a bit too much.

6 is too little? I need at least 9 hours a night to function. Less than that for a few nights in a row and I'm fit to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

But what if there's feck all good on the telly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sleep is necessary, but apparently you can train yourself to get about four hours of sleep a day (apparently we only need four to six a day) spread across a number of short naps over a 24-hour period and be more refreshed than after an 8-hour sleep. Obviously that might be hard to work into one's schedule. I'm also too lazy to change my rhythm.

yep...the power snooze theory :D

apparently a 20 min snooze during the day is enough to keep you refreshed for 8-10 hours...
    however 20 mins is not enough for deep sleep...and you need deep sleep for your brain :) a lot of brain activity is done during this period , remapping neurons, memories etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I find it's fascinating that sleep is still a mystery as why it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    it would be great if you could get by on 2 hours sleep a day without harming your body long term...think of all the extra hobbies etc you could take up :(

It sounds wonderful, being able to do away with sleep. All that free time.

However we need to ask ourselves how the Powers That Be would react to this. I suspect we would find, very quickly, a lot of proposals from the Business Classes that the working week be extended from around 40 hours to 80 hours. I think we would see very little of this new found time. More likely the extra hours would be filled for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

With the formation of the internet, one may argue that nights could be spent better, but if you think 500 years back, there'd be precious little to do at night. We'd be better off sleeping anyway. :P

Due to sleeps regenerative properties, if we never slept, our life expectancy would probably be much lower, which would most likely offset any gains in awake-time by not sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I really enjoy sleep and treat it more as a pleasure than a necessity. Theres nothing like getting in a good eight hours after a long day.

I would love to train myself to need less.... At the moment, I'm at about 6 hours i think and then a power nap during the day. Today, I had 20 mins before work and still feel pretty good.

I really enjoy sleep and treat it more as a pleasure than a necessity. Theres nothing like getting in a good eight hours after a long day.

I'm the same... But it makes no sense to love something we're unconscious for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

apparently a 20 min snooze during the day is enough to keep you refreshed for 8-10 hours...
    however 20 mins is not enough for deep sleep...and you need deep sleep for your brain :) a lot of brain activity is done during this period , remapping neurons, memories etc...

I'd miss the great dreams you get with a good deep sleep too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Sleep is the bodys way of regenerating. Everything slows down when you are asleep, your heartrate and pulse slow and even breathing (snorers and all). Basically sleep is the bodys downtime, without it it would be like running your motorcars engine at full speed all the time. Eventually something will blow, leak or stop altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Being awake is boring after 16 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Being awake is boring after 16 hours.

You're not doing it right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

. I'd settle for a 2 hour quick charge a night .

trust me , you would not like to have just 2 hours sleep a night (i suffer from sleep dep for years ) most nights I'm lucky to get 2 hours ,
    the rest of the time I just feel like i live in hell
    enjoy you 6 hours a night ..................your body needs it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Oh, boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So it's kinda like a defrag? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The-Rigger wrote: »

Not a lot of people appreciate that. We should live to around 300 years with most people reaching 150.

Studies in the sixties linked old age to brain tumors in sheep that were consumed by women only in the Andes.

Also our very planet is poisoning us it's only barley sustainable and unstable in the long term and human life on this planet will become extinct.

We do have ancient legends and stories of people who lived seemingly for three hundreds years, it's ling since not the norm and indeed ageing is seen as the primary causality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

We'd die if we didn't sleep, so it's a pretty healthy pastime.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There are about 784 threads on this technique in the Parenting forum. They call it 'childbirth'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Apparently you can train yourseld within 2 or 3 weeks to only need two hours sleep indefinitely and be just as healthy and alert as 8 hours sleep. You need to do it in 6 20 minute naps every day spread out evenly. You can't miss even one. You have to get the naps in.

Interesting.... My schedule is so all over the place that I could prob manage to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thread has me sleepy (yawn ) ...needs some music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I hate going to bed and love getting up in the morning. I never used to be that way but in the past 3 or 4 years, something changed. Perhaps it's realising I'm not immortal and feeling that lie-ins and sleeping more than necessary is a waste of precious time I have here.

I sleep about 5 and a half hours every night and have a nap sometime during the day. I feel unbelievable after the nap. No more than 20 minutes is what they recommend.

Advertisement