Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Church of Atheism

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I know enough to know that I dont know enough knowing how much some of you guys know you know...
    Well, there's more than a few posters who've learned enough to figure out that it's a crock -- that latter choice is always available to you too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I know enough to know that I dont know enough knowing how much some of you guys know you know...

I don't understand this. If you really believed that the Bible was the word of God, that Christianity was the one true religion, surely you would know everything about it. It makes absolutely no sense.

Think about it. You believe that the creator of the entire universe, the deity that cares about us all, the omnipotent and omniscient master of all exists and inspired this book. How can you ever put it down???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Some of you guys seem to spend a lot of time learning about Christianity. If I did not know better I could be forgiven for thinking that you may be reconsidering your atheist views, which we all know not to be the case. As this thread is about The First Church of Atheism maybe you should join up :rolleyes:

So now we are to be derided for being informed in our arguments. Classic Mistress69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

optogirl wrote: »
    So now we are to be derided for being informed in our arguments. Classic Mistress69

Mistress69 doesn't like knowledge, it's evil doncha know. 'Tis far better to know your place, keep your head down and live with being told what to do.
    After years of this, there's probably no chance of an original thought ever again.

She's the ultimate Irish Stepford Wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

smokingman wrote: »
    Mistress69 doesn't like knowledge, it's evil doncha know. 'Tis far better to know your place, keep your head down and live with being told what to do.

Except for ignoring the bits she doesn't like, because they spoil her fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

Sarky wrote: »
    Except for ignoring the bits she doesn't like, because they spoil her fun.

Nothing spoils my fun... Baby!

Nothing spoils my fun... Baby!
    I'd have thought that believing any of that nonsense in the bible would spoil anybody's fun.

But I'm assuming at this point you don't -- welcome to the non-club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Hi! I'm the oxymoron that started the FCA. Just wanted to say that our main reason for starting the church was so atheists could perform wedding ceremonies and other functions reserved for clergy

I can see the logic in that. I think its fairly obvious to most that its an ironic church, just as the FSM is an ironic god.

Here in Ireland these restrictions apply in choosing a venue for a non religious marriage. It costs extra to get the civil registrar out of his/her office, and then there is the difficulty of getting the appointment for a time/day that suits both eg a bank holiday.

None of this applies for a "religious" ceremony. But the person overseeing the wedding has to be on the official "list of solemnisers". After that the wedding counts as a full civil contract. Up until recently only the clergy of a few of the main religions were allowed to be the legal registrars of marriages; all others had to send the happy couple off to a civil registry office in addition to the "church" wedding.
    Currently there seem to be a few strange ones on the list. I think it would be interesting to see if an atheist could get on the list, even if it meant claiming to be in an atheist "church".

The real agenda would be to circumvent the special privileges accorded to members of "proper" churches, and maybe force a change in the law such that an openly secular person could register as a solemniser of marriages. Obviously some requirements such as Garda vetting might be a good idea for people getting onto the list, but the idea of reserving special privileges for quacks in what is essentially a civil contract in the eyes of the State seems outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Its a money-maker, look how much these people are charging:

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/index.php/atheist-minister-in-your-area/

Its understandable that people should be paid for their services but its a lot for one ceremony - seems like they are trying to exploit atheism to make money. We criticise religious people for doing this, so atheists doing it too is unacceptable!

They are even calling themselves Rev ffs! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its a money-maker, look how much these people are charging:

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/index.php/atheist-minister-in-your-area/

Its understandable that people should be paid for their services but its a lot for one ceremony - seems like they are trying to exploit atheism to make money. We criticise religious people for doing this, so atheists doing it too is unacceptable!

They are even calling themselves Rev ffs! :mad:
    Website says average of $300 (€210). Anyone know what the current rate is for a priest's brown envelope tip at a wedding? They would have to get paid something; it would involve hanging around the wedding most of the day.

Calling themselves "reverend" and other religious trappings are necessary to get past the laws which favour religions.

I see the "appeal" isnt going too well. $0 out of $900,000 raised so far :D

• Advertisement

So we have a matching set.
    Catholics who dont follow Catholicism and Christians who dont follow the teachings of Christ and his bumper book o rules and wisdom.....
    .:rolleyes:

Ok... Ghostbuster... Ectoplasm and slime aside... tanqueray for the sarcasm:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

So Mistress69 decided to join the KKK
    Sure, she doesn't agree with their notion of white pride. And she doesn't believe in their desire to cut off all American foreign aid, nor their desire to outlaw homosexuality, nor their anti-abortion stance. She thinks their plans for creating a Christian nation are horrible and damaging. And she thinks their history of racism is a truly terrible thing.
    But there is a lot of good that comes out of being in the klan! A sense of community. A sense of belonging to something bigger than yourself. And some of the things they believe in, she also agrees with. They believe in supporting strict environmental laws. They believe in balancing the budget. They stand behind states rights, and they strongly support veterans.
    Just because a few radical individuals did some terrible things in the past in the name of the Klan, that has nothing to do with how the Klan is today! Besides, those people weren't true Klansmen. A real, modern Klansman would never act like that!
    She can call herself a Klansman, even though she doesn't agree with everything they believe in. And she still goes to a few Klan meetings each year, even though she disagrees with some of their core tenets. She likes the ceremonies, and some of the songs. She's just choosing the parts that she likes, and she's going to do that, while she ignores the parts of The Klan that she disagrees with.
    So really, there's nothing wrong with The Klan, or being a member. It's just a personal matter of how an individual chooses to live their life.
    I really don't understand why people have a problem with her being in the Klan!

:pac:

I'm fairly sure I saw this posted on reddit :D

So Mistress69 decided to join the KKK Sure, she doesn't agree with their notion of white pride. [...] I really don't understand why people have a problem with her being in the Klan!
    Unattributed quotation from somewhere else amounts to plagiarism <cough> :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

robindch wrote: »
    Unattributed quotation from somewhere else amounts to plagiarism <cough> :(

At least when I posted it in this very forum I gave an attribution and a link to the source >.>

Eh, just a guess here, but might it not be more likely that some of us were brought up in at least semi-religious households, and in the process of growing up and learning about the world around us, we included that part of our lives in the whole learning process? Especially given that we probably all started questioning the legitimacy of said religion at some point?

I'd put my money on simple curiosity, anyway. I'm sure there might be other reasons too besides reconsidering rational thinking.

Please note I was only being sarcastic....

liamw wrote: »
    I don't understand this. If you really believed that the Bible was the word of God, that Christianity was the one true religion, surely you would know everything about it. It makes absolutely no sense.

Think about it. You believe that the creator of the entire universe, the deity that cares about us all, the omnipotent and omniscient master of all exists and inspired this book. How can you ever put it down???

I will have to say that was a very good post that I should have answered before now.

I have no answer to it.................

optogirl wrote: »

Less of the classic please... and no I was not trying to deride any of you.

Advertisement