Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I imagine he is probably with either Freesat or Freeview so; I'm not sure if they provide RTÉ Radio One to their tuning into their services.

Radio 1, 2FM, Lyric and RnaG are in the Freesat EPG.
    Newstalk can be tuned in manually on a Freesat box.
    All of the above can be tuned in manually on a Sky box or FTA satellite box.
    AFAIK, RTE Radio 1 Extra isn't on satellite at all any more.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

What is the point of RTE having all these dormant AM sites ? Could they not be advertised to see would anybody want to use them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

What is the point of RTE having all these dormant AM sites ? Could they not be advertised to see would anybody want to use them ?

Do you mean advertise the actual sites or the transmission facilities?
    I can't imagine anyone would want an AM transmitter, what would they do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't know if they still have it, but they did have such a service up to recently, except that it was an international number. Would have been ridiculously expensive to use.
    Yup, it was a local number in Brussels, so outside of there it'd have been dear to ring.

But that's the thing about this new service compared to the brussels based service, they have local numbers in many countries so say you're in the USA, you might have unlimited minutes (but not data) so sitting in the car you just ring the relevant US number for free.

Same in Germany or uk. Many mobile packages have heaps of free minutes but data is unreliable and gets used up awful quick.

I can see me using it fairly regularly when in the car to listen to premier league games on talksport and it'd be the same for rte when there's sporting events on of they were to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I can't imagine anyone would want an AM transmitter, what would they do with it?

Would Newstalk be interested in 252LW? Their FM network isn't fully national.
    Also, for months now the sound quality on satellite (Sky 0210) has been awful, which begs the question .. does anyone actually listen to them on satellite? They might be better off on LW.

• Advertisement

A few temporary stations have used mw in recent years in dublin.

Would Newstalk be interested in 252LW?

No. If an irish station wanted to do AM then one of the dormant national MW channels would be a better option because almost everyone would have a Medium wave radio.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mainly to appeal to other radio-heads.

The anorak market is VERY small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Infoanon

An offer was made to RTE re the use of 567AM but it was declined by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

No. If an irish station wanted to do AM then one of the dormant national MW channels would be a better option because almost everyone would have a Medium wave radio.

Newstalk are fond of sponsorship, so they could have any MW/LW transmission sponsored. I can hear it now .. 'We're also on 252/567, with thanks to ...'

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    An offer was made to RTE re the use of 567AM but it was declined by RTE.

By whom? Hadn't heard about that.

Anyone buying MW or LW transmission facilities would need it to be profitable and that just isn't possible any more, it's dead technology.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newstalk are fond of sponsorship, so they could have any MW/LW transmission sponsored. I can hear it now .. 'We're also on 252/567, with thanks to ...'

I suspect that might fall foul of BAI rules on what can be sponsored, as it'd imply the entire content was and current affairs can't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Would Newstalk be interested in 252LW? Their FM network isn't fully national.
    Also, for months now the sound quality on satellite (Sky 0210) has been awful, which begs the question .. does anyone actually listen to them on satellite? They might be better off on LW.

While I'm sure newstalk would love to take over the LW252 slot, potentially gaining any ex-RTÉ R1 LW listeners, they're not exactly swimming in cash themselves and AM transmitters are not light on the power consumption!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

It costs €15,000 a day to run 252LW, If you go to YouTube theres a Rte / Atlantic 252 video about the site and transmission gear, yes it would be great if Newstalk took over 252 at least there would be an Irish media outlet.

It costs €15,000 a day to run 252LW, If you go to YouTube theres a Rte / Atlantic 252 video about the site and transmission gear, yes it would be great if Newstalk took over 252 at least there would be an Irish media outlet.

Nobody who actually has a radio with LW is going to switch band to listen to Newstalk. They had to mount a big advertising campaign just to get a fraction of Pat Kenny's listeners to 'move the (FM) dial' up a bit.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

300kW LW transmitter isn't really up their alley though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

amusing/ bemusing reading the comments to see how many think they can buy a DAB radio and get RTE R1 in Scotland or England with it.

It seems to be on lower power right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Rock Solid wrote: »

€15,000 per day for 252? It's expensive to run a 300kw LW transmitter but it definitely doesn't cost 5.5 million quid per year! Total cost is just below a million euro a year which would work out at about €2,500 a day running full power.

Still quite expensive for what it is of course but just to make sure we have our sums right!

Simon

amusing/ bemusing reading the comments to see how many think they can buy a DAB radio and get RTE R1 in Scotland or England with it.

Sad, actually, if an older person wastes their money on a DAB radio thinking it will let them get Radio 1 in the UK. RTE are to blame by saying that shutting off LW is part of their digital changeover, it's not, there is no equivalent replacement digital service.

Perhaps your right regarding the cost of running 252, the programme I watched was including the insurance and staff required to run 252LW, even in parts of Dublin it's difficult to get a good Dab Signal, I have to listen on Fm for Rte services, breaking up on Dab in Tallaght never mind the UK! RTÉ demand licence money but can't provide a national service on any digital platform!

Perhaps your right regarding the cost of running 252, the programme I watched was including the insurance and staff required to run 252LW, even in parts of Dublin it's difficult to get a good Dab Signal, I have to listen on Fm for Rte services, breaking up on Dab in Tallaght never mind the UK! RTÉ demand licence money but can't provide a national service on any digital platform!

In the Atlantic days it would have been significantly more expensive to run as there were two 300kW rigs (restricted to 250 each) that were a lot more inefficient than what is currently there.

Do you think they will do a special program to mark the closedown as its a bank holiday monday ?

Sad, actually, if an older person wastes their money on a DAB radio thinking it will let them get Radio 1 in the UK. RTE are to blame by saying that shutting off LW is part of their digital changeover, it's not, there is no equivalent replacement digital service.

Ah how are RTE to blame for that??

As for DAB, it will never take off. Every additional euro RTE put into it is money down the drain.

Ah how are RTE to blame for that

Have you not heard the message that goes out on lw 252 every couple of hours ? it says please retune to FM by october 27, If FM is not available, RTE R1 is on Dab digital radio, digital television and online.

Have you not heard the message that goes out on lw 252 every couple of hours ? it says please retune to FM by october 27, If FM is not available, RTE R1 is on Dab digital radio, digital television and online.

Yeah I've heard it alright. If they extended it to explain what DAB is and how and where it can be received, how many people would either understand or bother listening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Yeah I've heard it alright. If they extended it to explain what DAB is and how and where it can be received, how many people would either understand or bother listening?

They don't need to explain DAB all they need to add is the words "in Ireland" to the mention of DAB and DTT

Advertisement