Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do ya's draw the line.....

Options
  • 23-07-2011 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

as regards dance music?

is there a genre/genres ya just wish ya could bury? what are your musical limitations, not preferences?

just got the idea from the hardstyle thread tbh, and am very curious if the lot of you are really staunch house and techno heads.

probably crash and burn in its 1st day this thread, but ya never know do ya?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

not the biggest techno fan myself (prob get slated but what the hell yeah) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Psyhouse is only played live by arseholes. Very few people on a night out ever want to hear it. There's a certain amount of crowd pleasing that should be done, and being a genre-snob only gets you labelled as a shit DJ. Of course, I'm not saying that only top 40, deadmau5 and rubbish dubstep should be played, but really, there is a certain amount of selling out that must be done if you plan to earn any money at it, and you must play a few songs that the audience likes. Nothing worse than a DJ on stage who is only entertaining himself.

tbh mate, i hate people tellin me what i should and shouldn't listen to, old or new!

i fcukin love late 80's house! acid house is what got me into dance at about 7/8 years of age, so i have alot of love for it no matter what any1 has to say.

other than that, i suppose trance after late 96, would be a big no from me, got very cheesy in late 97 early 98!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

es-cee wrote: »
    tbh mate, i hate people tellin me what i should and shouldn't listen to, old or new!

Same here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is like Royston Vasey a lot of the time. A techno place, for techno people.

I really don't see why people get their noses out of joint about it though when, generally, there'll be a couple of people in agreement even if the bulk of replies are negative or slagging. Take a look in any football forum for a comparison. 90% of people are likely to support 5 or 6 teams and the other 10% will be in for a rough ride defending their choice of team. There's a world of statistics available to settle most football arguments yet people still won't always agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Dance to Tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Personally I'm sick to death of all these new sub categories.....

dub step....fidget....and now ****ing swing house

go and take a swing out of me bollocks

i don't give a monkies what genre i play, the track is either **** or **** hot after that i couldn't give a flying **** but i like to keep myself around 125bpm to 132bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Its all music, however I do think its a bit sad holding onto the past. Sounds have moved on, finding new sounds that I like is what its all about for me.

Its all music, however I do think its a bit sad holding onto the past. Sounds have moved on, finding new sounds that I like is what its all about for me.

i think your right in one sense, and in another i don't. while i embrace new tunes, ya can never forget what went before, for the simple fact that ya wouldn't have what ya have now only for the pioneers of the day that made it possible.
    i love oldskool anything really, don't think theres a genre of oldskool i don't like, but if it wasn't for oldskool ya wouldn't have what you listen to now, so in that sense i think oldskool is fcukin cool man.

any1 agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Hard house, trance (post mid 90s) and hard trance (no offense Asylum faithful) can all get the boat as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

Bruno Mars.. the other chart ones are bad enough but hate his stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Bruno Mars is Electronic?

News to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Bruno Mars is Electronic?

News to me...

Yeah, apparently he's a cyborg used by the reptilians to mass brainwash society. There's a whole thread about it in the conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

jeddie20 wrote: »
    Bruno Mars.. the other chart ones are bad enough but hate his stuff..

Thats that dildo 'today i swear im not doing anything'!!!!!!!

If we agree its electronic then yes, he should be fúcking buried.

Never said anything about electronic? But if you want to make a bit of money at this then as someone said before me you have to play some chart songs.. Just giving an opinion like anyone else..

Never said anything about electronic? But if you want to make a bit of money at this then as someone said before me you have to play some chart songs.. Just giving an opinion like anyone else..

Fair enough, this is the Electronic Music forum though, bit like posting a Rap in an Indie thread ;)

ah ya i know, but when i was on the fourm that fella came on the radio and i just had to go and turn it off so i thought id just throw it down here for the sake of it, no harm done :pac:

ah ya i know, but when i was on the fourm that fella came on the radio and i just had to go and turn it off so i thought id just throw it down here for the sake of it, no harm done :pac:

No, No harm done, very worthwhile excercise establishing Bruno mars is defo a ****ér:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

as regards dance music?

is there a genre/genres ya just wish ya could bury? what are your musical limitations, not preferences?

just got the idea from the hardstyle thread tbh, and am very curious if the lot of you are really staunch house and techno heads.

probably crash and burn in its 1st day this thread, but ya never know do ya?

11walqd.jpg

2en865l.jpg
    Dubstep please go away! i hate you so much :pac:

Have tried to like it but it's not happening..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

other than that, i suppose trance after late 96, would be a big no from me, got very cheesy in late 97 early 98!

do ya think so?I actually thought it got quite good from 98-2002 and then went downhill but thats just my opinion :)

do ya think so?I actually thought it got quite good from 98-2002 and then went downhill but thats just my opinion :)

Well its all relative really, i though it was all going shít about 1998 meself & was major dissapointed with creamfileds 2000.

chemical brothers were the only saving grace of that festival.

• Advertisement

11walqd.jpg

2en865l.jpg
    Dubstep please go away! i hate you so much :pac:

Have tried to like it but it's not happening..

What Dubstep have you listened to? I'm very interested to hear...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Genres I like

House & most sub-genres
    Techno
    Dubstep/garage/bass etc
    Drum & Bass

Genres I don't like

Psytrance
    Trance
    Heavy dubstep (Datsik etc)
    Heavy techno (Surgeon etc, although I imagine I might grow into it)
    Disco
    Electro-house
    Hard house/oldskool/gabber etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

The only Line I draw is between what I will play and what I wont play :D

That line consists of Good or Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I was spacing away at some half arsed dj at Knockanstockan around 5am on sat morning when he put on the Beatles. The line drew itself pretty snappy on that caper :p

other than that, not keen on trance, dubstep and gabber. am pretty fond of the old techno though

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Genres I like

House & most sub-genres
    Techno
    Dubstep/garage/bass etc
    Drum & Bass

Genres I don't like

Psytrance
    Trance
    Heavy dubstep (Datsik etc)
    Heavy techno (Surgeon etc, although I imagine I might grow into it)
    Disco
    Electro-house
    Hard house/oldskool/gabber etc

WHS, except I like heavy techno of the Ben Klock et al kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

chemical brothers were the only saving grace of that festival.

You obviously missed Dave Clarke and Darren Emerson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What Dubstep have you listened to? I'm very interested to hear...

Do i know you? why would you be interasted in what i like and don't like?

you don't see anyone else here "questioning" other peoples likes and dislikes? in other words i know where your going with this :pac:

EDIT : Can you genuinely recommend some quality dubstep, I have tried but just didn't do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭francois

old gregg wrote: »
    I was spacing away at some half arsed dj at Knockanstockan around 5am on sat morning when he put on the Beatles. The line drew itself pretty snappy on that caper :p

other than that, not keen on trance, dubstep and gabber. am pretty fond of the old techno though

a rather large line-unless though it was

then i'd be hunting out "the man" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I used to dislike a load of genres, but digging deeper i found stuff from all of them i quite like.

Still not fond of psytrance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Do i know you? why would you be interasted in what i like and don't like?

you don't see anyone else here "questioning" other peoples likes and dislikes? in other words i know where your going with this :pac:

EDIT : Can you genuinely recommend some quality dubstep, I have tried but just didn't do for me.

Labels like Swamp81, Hotflush, Hessle Audio, NMBRS, Deep Medi, Black Box, Nonplus+, Punch Drunk. They all release quite different music, but it all mostly goes under the really broad label of dubstep. There's definitely something in there for everyone.

Advertisement