Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do ya's draw the line.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Labels like Swamp81, Hotflush, Hessle Audio, NMBRS, Deep Medi, Black Box, Nonplus+, Punch Drunk. They all release quite different music, but it all mostly goes under the really broad label of dubstep. There's definitely something in there for everyone.

Cheers man, I will definitely go through some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Cheers man, I will definitely go through some of them.

Try having a listen to a few of the tracks on the whatpeopleplay topseller chart for each label, that'd be a decent enough overview. Like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Labels like Swamp81, Hotflush, Hessle Audio, NMBRS, Deep Medi, Black Box, Nonplus+, Punch Drunk. They all release quite different music, but it all mostly goes under the really broad label of dubstep. There's definitely something in there for everyone.

I'd also recommend Box Clever (Black Box's little brother label), Earwax, Skull Disco, Fortified Audio, Wheel and Deal, Tempa, Tectonic, Boka, Argon and Hyperdub.

Loads of different stuff out there under the Dubstep banner as has been pointed out. To be honest and this point there is probably something for every.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Do i know you? why would you be interasted in what i like and don't like?

you don't see anyone else here "questioning" other peoples likes and dislikes? in other words i know where your going with this :pac:

EDIT : Can you genuinely recommend some quality dubstep, I have tried but just didn't do for me.

Like what the others were saying above, those labels are well worth checking out.

What some people might call dubstep could be anathaema to others who listen to a different variety (hence my original query :P ) I can only assume that what you don't like is the chainsaw fart wub wub sound propagated in the main by American brosteppers like Skrillex, Datsik et al.

Stuff like this is far better:

If this is the stuff that you're familiar with, and you don't like it, then I shall pester no more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Like what the others were saying above, those labels are well worth checking out.

What some people might call dubstep could be anathaema to others who listen to a different variety (hence my original query :P ) I can only assume that what you don't like is the chainsaw fart wub wub sound propagated in the main by American brosteppers like Skrillex, Datsik et al.

Stuff like this is far better:

If this is the stuff that you're familiar with, and you don't like it, then I shall pester no more :D

likin this stuff, can ya recommend any decent mixes please mate?

• Advertisement

es-cee wrote: »

Loads, in fact there's a show tomorrow evening starting at 8 on Boiler Room, some huge names playing. Kode9, Martyn, Jon Convex are all on and they should be excellent. They'll be streaming live on http://boilerroom.tv/live/

Oneman's recent Rinse FM Podcast is great, here's the link. (Right-click and 'Save as' to download)

Two Boiler Room sessions I go back to occasionally are Addison Groove's and Boddika's from BR42, they're toward the bottom of this page.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Loads, in fact there's a show tomorrow evening starting at 8 on Boiler Room, some huge names playing. Kode9, Martyn, Jon Convex are all on and they should be excellent. They'll be streaming live on http://boilerroom.tv/live/

Oneman's recent Rinse FM Podcast is great, here's the link. (Right-click and 'Save as' to download)

Two Boiler Room sessions I go back to occasionally are Addison Groove's and Boddika's from BR42, they're toward the bottom of this page.

cheers mate, will have a listen to em tomorrow ;)

cheers mate, will have a listen to em tomorrow ;)

No worries! Enjoy, hoping I'll be home myself in time to catch that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Any of the mixes on this site will do it: http://boilerroom.tv/

I'm a fan of Rust & Reecha, they're great DJs, Oneman, Ben UFO and Jackmaster are regarded as the best dubstep DJs around, so their sets are essential listening.

And if you want a proper education in everything from reggae, through d'n'b to modern dubstep, have a look at this, David Rodigan at Sonar.

http://boilerroom.tv/david-rodigan-%E2%80%98live-from%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-red-bull-music-academy-pres-sonardome/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Once it has dirty piano chords in it I'm game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Es m8 , ya know where I stand on the whole 'genre-junkie' 'genre-snob' et al ......

3 types of music ;) **** , **** hot ........and Country! :D

And whats this I see? you finally getting a taste for that dirty hybrid noise known as "Dubstep"? ....about fookin time!! I been trying to tell ya for ages.....like all other genres,there's some woeful stuff but there's wuite a lot of good sounding Dubstep too.

As for what 'style' of dubstep...........couldn't fookin tell ya I treat it as with all other music, whatever sounds good to me.

remember me shoving this one under your nose? jaysus I can remember when this only had a handful of views.

:eek: a Canadian mixing UK dubstep , "how very dare you ohh"

few good releases on this label too
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM7fl_tv3muluJjgldbq088hTOmkEllIjtvV_X7gueCkvIemAv6g

and just on the 'whoa-bee' tip .... here's a couple of 10p mix bags to chew on b root ya teeth! :D

and finally, my fav chilled out 'dubstep' tune ..... I couldnt give two fooks what others call it.

:cool: "cooler than a polar bears pi$$" :cool:

yeah man, some of the stuff is pretty decent alright, still prefer me dnb tho lol.

but yeah, some nice stuff i've been put wide to in recent days thanks to a this thread.

yeah man, some of the stuff is pretty decent alright, still prefer me dnb tho lol.

but yeah, some nice stuff i've been put wide to in recent days thanks to a this thread.

Absofookinlutely m8 , always always going to be dnb first n foremost, like I've said on manys an occasion,for me it's oldskool hardcore,breakbeat,Jungle,DnB .....and then some
    .......but I was 'exposed' to the pleasures of some dubstep over the past few years and it kinda gets under your skin n grows on ya!

:D

Here's another Skream tune, one of my all-time favourites (any excuse to post it):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Dubstep and drum and bass. Utter sh1te. Being in Sydney Ive a load of mates from the south of England always trying to drag me to these sh1te nights (New Zealanders and people from anywhere south of Birmingham are, litreally, the only people who seem to rate this rubbish. I dont know one Irish or north of England/ Scot who would be seen dead at one of these). Ended up going to one once (only because I thought the other room would be playing electro house) and it was a load of lads yoked up swaggering around with their hoods up and hands in their pockets nodding their heads....WTF. Id already dropped and wasnt going to be coming up to this sh1te- ended up going down the road to meet some other mates in some chart cheese club- it was still a better buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ya Kant beat a bit of wob wob wob wob wob wob wob wobble :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Anything like gabber that's going to give me heart palpatations when it's playing. I'm a rather delicate creature. And any of that brostep nonsense - music for rap metal spastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭francois

I really really hate anything with a ****ing autotune in it, mainly R'n'B ****e

Dubstep and drum and bass. Utter sh1te. Being in Sydney Ive a load of mates from the south of England always trying to drag me to these sh1te nights (New Zealanders and people from anywhere south of Birmingham are, litreally, the only people who seem to rate this rubbish. I dont know one Irish or north of England/ Scot who would be seen dead at one of these). Ended up going to one once (only because I thought the other room would be playing electro house) and it was a load of lads yoked up swaggering around with their hoods up and hands in their pockets nodding their heads....WTF. Id already dropped and wasnt going to be coming up to this sh1te- ended up going down the road to meet some other mates in some chart cheese club- it was still a better buzz!

Each to their own n all that but ....What a load of sh!te!!! ....... for one,ya cant class Dubstep & Drum n Bass in the same league,they're poles apart.....I wouldnt be one for going to a Dubstep night, I'm select in what 'dubstep' i like and at that its limited....Drum n Bass is a different kettle of fish altogether, the early or 'oldskool' DnB tunes are the bogs dollox and are appreciated the lenght & bredth of the UK & here......just slightly north of Brummiesville DnB has a hugh following from Liverpool right across to Newcastle and everywhere inbetween,with a plethora of clubs playing oldskool dnb nights to large crowds,ffs you need only look at the amount of oldskool nights & festivals popping up all over the place.

I don't know what kinda place you went to, would love to know what era of DnB they were playing alongside dubstep :confused: , I'd have sooner gone home and listened to tunes n enjoyed the effects of whatever it was you took than try passify myself by going to any aul cheesefest of a club.

My sympathies are with ya on your bad night out n all that but come on man, ya had a better night on narcs listening to cheesy chart hits?? thats some statement!

can I ask, what genre of music is it that usually floats your boat?

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Each to their own n all that but ....What a load of sh!te!!! ....... for one,ya cant class Dubstep & Drum n Bass in the same league,they're poles apart.....I wouldnt be one for going to a Dubstep night, I'm select in what 'dubstep' i like and at that its limited....Drum n Bass is a different kettle of fish altogether, the early or 'oldskool' DnB tunes are the bogs dollox and are appreciated the lenght & bredth of the UK & here......just slightly north of Brummiesville DnB has a hugh following from Liverpool right across to Newcastle and everywhere inbetween,with a plethora of clubs playing oldskool dnb nights to large crowds,ffs you need only look at the amount of oldskool nights & festivals popping up all over the place.

I don't know what kinda place you went to, would love to know what era of DnB they were playing alongside dubstep :confused: , I'd have sooner gone home and listened to tunes n enjoyed the effects of whatever it was you took than try passify myself by going to any aul cheesefest of a club.

My sympathies are with ya on your bad night out n all that but come on man, ya had a better night on narcs listening to cheesy chart hits?? thats some statement!

can I ask, what genre of music is it that usually floats your boat?

;)

• Advertisement

;)

lol Cheers Es :o...... I didnt bother my ar$e reading the whole post, the first line got my goat! and on it went until half way through I said 'fook this' and had to reply.

On reflection, I shoulda took heed,read the complete post and then said nothing! electro fookin house ....says it all! :rolleyes:

Did you hear the one about the electrohouse head that goes to a dubstep & dnb night?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Did you hear the one about the electrohouse head that goes to a dubstep & dnb night?

That argument could apply to anyone in this thread though. He has much right to dislike a genre as the rest have. Even if he is into electro house.

Personally, I don't like electro house and modern day trance/tech trance. Also any sub-genres with the word "deep" in their name don't tend to float my boat.

Advertisement