Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 23, Stage 20: Grenoble (ITT) 41km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Panzerwagon takes the stage and Cuddles takes Yellow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well done to Evans! Schlecks just got another very hard lesson.. but fair play to them to get 2nd and 3rd. Biggest congrats to Voeckler, I would love to see him on the podium though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cadel brilliant, great ride, great winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I feel sorry for Andy, especially after last year, but this year he can only blame himself or the tactics used, in future I think Andy should just go for the polka dot jersey, after all it's what he loves to do, climb. He had a great win on the Galibier, his 'All-Ireland' if you like. Fair play to Evans, I knew he would podium, he was the best AllRounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Sooooo... Green jersey could still be decided tomorrow. God, this is the Tour that keeps on giving!

I disagree that Schleck should just stick to the polka-dot though. IMO he has the talent to win a Grand Tour (or several) and his TTing has improved from how awful it used to be, in fairness. Certainly he needs to work on some areas (tactics being a must!), but I think it's doable. Sure, he's already finished second three times (well, including this year) and he's only 26!

Evans bawling! Delighted for him, he's been waiting so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Loved IT!
    Cadal crying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Fantastic riding by Evans. Andy Schleck effectively lost his chance by leaving it to the alps and not gaining time in the Pyrenees and by his poor descending. Still absolutely amazing effort by all the guys, fantastic tour to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

AG2R third in the team classification. Only behind the Leopard Trek team in second by 16 seconds, that's a shame. Still, a podium's a podium!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

It's amazing to see Evans so happy! :D Awesome :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Advertisement

Rolland delighted for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Delighted for Cadel. His epic ride up Galibier alone makes hime a worthy winner, but his focus and power today was fantastic.... Feel a little bit sorry for Andy, but if he hadn't ridden looking backwards for a fortnight he might have had more than 57 seconds in hand today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Three tweets by David Millar:
    If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.
    In team car being driven to hotel. Chatting to VdV & spot cyclist on autoroute ahead, dressed in full Europcar kit. Looks oddly familiar.
    Chat stops, tell car to slow. As we pass have time to look into eyes of a tired and broken Voeckler. Tragic doesn't come close to describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

He really shouldn't have tweeted that imo! Show the man some respect!

Tommy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He really shouldn't have tweeted that imo! Show the man some respect!
    Not as if he's slagging him! He's showing how much it affected him!

Also with the "If you had tears get ready to shed them" shows he has respect/admiration for him and can sympathise with Tommy V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Delighted for Evans \o/

Feel sorry for Tomas Voeckler, the real hero of the tour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

1. Contador
    2. Cancellara
    3. Evans

2/3, not bad eh? :)

Well done Cadel, fully deserved. Best Tour in years.

Cleanest as well, not one failed test during the tour, please god a corner has been turned and there is no post tour fails.

Tommy V made the tour for everyone I think, he deserves a nice juicy contract next year.

Contador is not finished winning tours, Andy Schleck showed the aggression required bit just fell short, Cunego is not being mentioned much but had a great tour and Roland is definatly a star of the future. An interesting few years ahead!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cleanest as well, not one failed test during the tour, please god a corner has been turned and there is no post tour fails.

*cough*Kolobnev*cough*

Still, a great tour this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

As we pass have time to look into eyes of a tired and broken Voeckler. Tragic doesn't come close to describe.
    Don't see why it shouldn't be tweeted, it sums up the character of the race, a race of broken dreams for some, jubilation for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Bonza.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

*cough*Kolobnev*cough*

Still, a great tour this year!

****e!

I just got a little excited there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Disappointed to have missed today's stage but delighted with the result.
    Cadel deserves to wear the yellow jersey. He has been consistant from start to finish in all aspects of the tour.

That 3 runners up finishes for Andy S but i think his time will come. Needs to continue improving at TTing, decending and decision making at times.

Best Tour in years. It had everything but most importantly for me anyway there was very little talk of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not as if he's slagging him!

Never said he was!
    Tommy probably wanted a private moment to himself to deal with his disappointment. I just think it's distasteful not to allow him it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nice evans remembering aldo sassi in his post race interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Great set of results today, I had 5 of the top ten in my fantasy tdf team so up to second overall. Just watching the highlights now and it's amazing how fast they're going. Martin was outstanding, and I'll forgive the last few days in the hills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Great to see an MTBer win the tour. Cracking TT from Cadel today.

Dissapointing for Andy. He definately made the last few days entertaining, thursdays break was epic. What a tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭BQQ

Pighead wrote: »
    Is it an official rule that nobody attacks the yellow jersey on the final day? Like say Evans was a second ahead of Schleck tomorrow is there any chance Schleck could go for it?

Seem to remember Vino winning in Paris on a break. 5 or 6 years ago, I think. It may be frowned upon, but it's not unheard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Great result for Cadel Evans, it's been a long time coming.

Andy Schleck will have his day in the future, although, he may yet win last years TdF

Advertisement