Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been asked out on a date?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Gandalph wrote: »
    Aw I be playing dawg, those wimmins necks do be cramped with the amount of hair flicking they do in my direction

Apparently, the flicking of the hair thing doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

py2006 wrote: »
    Apparently, the flicking of the hair thing doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

Its clearly an invitation to grab them by the scruff and drag them back to your cave no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A girl paid for a drink i ordered at the bar on Friday. In theory it was fine but the way she went about it put me in an awkward situation.

I went to the bar and ordered a drink. When it came back to me and i went to pay i was told the girl next to me had paid for it. I was caught completely off guard and she starts talking to me. She seemed like a nice girl but she wouldnt be somebody i'd fancy. So i felt awkward in the fact i had to feel obliged to stand there and chat to her because she bought me this drink. I couldnt get out of there quick enough. I didnt even want to return the favour because i'd be stuck there for another round feeling awkward and possibly giving false hope that i was interested.

If she asked me first then i could have thanked her and politely declined so i wouldn't have felt like i owed her something. Being honest tho but if i had fancied her it wouldnt have been a problem, a bit intrusive but otherwise i would have been chuffed.

At the end of the day, fair play to her for taking the first step but she could have handled it better. Personally i'd never buy a girl a drink unless there was at least some rapport built up but even then i'm a cheap bastard so its rare :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Don't worry, nobody apart from one bitter individual thought you meant 'headstrong' in a negative way! :)
    Hazys wrote: »
    Glad to see the Mallei getting told to cop on. The views she expressed here from time to time and in tLL are the most infuriating and sexist i have ever read and whats worse, she posts the same in Personal Issues.

personal comments about other posters aren't permitted lads. You're both here long enough to know that. No more warnings on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Just to reverse the trend of what might be a sort of confirmation bias exagerated boasting in this thread, I'm gonna say no.
    FYP.:)

Women asking men out is not a rare thing. Women asking men out effictivelly is.
    Time and time again we see women using signs and body language that we men just do not understand - even after 18 years of marrage I have not been trained in the art of reading body language that women have an instinct for.
    I would hazard a guess that we all have been asked out by a woman at some point but have been talking a different language to her (and she to us) at the time.
    Some men learn to 'read women' and some women learn to 'speak men'. I'm lucky that my wife is multilingual - and headstrong. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    FYP.:)

Women asking men out is not a rare thing. Women asking men out effictivelly is.
    Time and time again we see women using signs and body language that we men just do not understand - even after 18 years of marrage I have not been trained in the art of reading body language that women have an instinct for.
    I would hazard a guess that we all have been asked out by a woman at some point but have been talking a different language to her (and she to us) at the time.
    Some men learn to 'read women' and some women learn to 'speak men'. I'm lucky that my wife is multilingual - and headstrong. :)

Body language cannot be equated to asking a somebody out. Women use body language (at times) to let a man know she is interested and it is ok for him to as her out!!

Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Body language cannot be equated to asking a somebody out. Women use body language (at times) to let a man know she is interested and it is ok for him to as her out!!

Am I wrong?
    Good point. I've mistaken flirting for asking out.
    (See, I can't even master/comprehend one language let alone two) :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Good point. I've mistaken flirting for asking out.
    (See, I can't even master/comprehend one language let alone two) :)

Consider yourself 'schoooled'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

A few years back I was asked out by a work colleague of mine. There was a lot of employees in the company and she wasn't exactly in my group of work friends but we were still friendly enough. In hindsight she did drop a few hints, often commenting at how funny I was etc (I should have spotted at this point that all was not as it seemed :D). I think I didn't pick-up on this because I really wasn't interested.

Anyway, on one particular day some of the other girls I worked with were saying that they saw me in town with a girl the other day; and wanted to know who she was. Being young and naive I had no idea that they were trying to suss me out. I wasn't seeing anyone at the time and said it must have been my sister. When I was in my car about to head for home that evening she approached me and apologised for the questioning I was getting from the other girls. She explained that she had asked them to find out if I was seeing anyone and invited me for a coffee/cinema etc. I was caught completely off guard and said spurted out something like 'thank you for the offer but no thanks' :rolleyes:

Apparently, all the girls were mad at me for being 'such a bastard' for a while but my charm won out in the end. ;) My power of reading women is so bad that I had no idea that they were mad at me until a few months later when one of them told me that they all had to pretend to be mad at me for turning her offer down; she said she thought it was funny how I turned the other girl down but couldn't say it at the time.

I can't remember any other time when I was explicitly asked out by a woman but strongly encourage the practice. :cool:

dceire wrote: »

Apparently, all the girls were mad at me for being 'such a bastard' for a while but my charm won out in the end. ;)

Don't you hate this teenage girl response!! Surprised to hear it happening among adults!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Don't you hate this teenage girl response!! Surprised to hear it happening among adults!!

Well, to be fair, we were all still in college at the time, so I guess they hadn't quite lost all of their default teenage responses; but to be honest, I know a few people who would be the same even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Did it once and we dated for 6 months. :)

A day after I asked him out though, I accidently blocked his number on my phone when he texted me, so when we had arranged to meet up one evening, I had texted him to say I was free, but never got his reply as I had blocked it, and therefore both of us thought we were blanking each other.

Shows though if someone really likes you, they'll go to all lengths. the next day on facebook, took him an hour to bring up chat and ask me how I was and what was the story. Brave lad have to say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Well, I was, played the game... I have a date

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

i put a note through a guys letterbox to ask if he'd like to go for a drink/coffee some time. we live on the same block, we just salute eachother as he is going as im coming home and vice versa. so i thought f**k it i cant get to chat to him so ill post a little note and see what happens.
    that was last week and i havnt heard from him or seen him. honestly guys-brave or stupid??

i put a note through a guys letterbox to ask if he'd like to go for a drink/coffee some time. we live on the same block, we just salute eachother as he is going as im coming home and vice versa. so i thought f**k it i cant get to chat to him so ill post a little note and see what happens.
    that was last week and i havnt heard from him or seen him. honestly guys-brave or stupid??

oooh! tough one! Not sure this is stupid or bravely or stupidly brave!! I think I did something similar before to a girl and I didn't get a response!! I presume she thought I wasn't man enough to ask her to her face!

well we have only ever seen eachother a few times in passing. hmmmmm dunno, maybe he got a shock or maybe he just dont want to meet. which of course is fine too but you know....................:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think you would have been better off saying hi or saluting him to get his attention. Leaving a note could be cute if done right but it's a little evasive.

well we have only ever seen eachother a few times in passing. hmmmmm dunno, maybe he got a shock or maybe he just dont want to meet. which of course is fine too but you know....................:o

Knock on his door ask him does he have any spare coffee?

he lives at home with his mam & dad!

he lives at home with his mam & dad!

Oh noooooooo!!! His parents must have got the note!!!!!

• Advertisement

no, they are away for the last 2 weeks so he deff got it! actually when i copped they were gone, thats when i made my move! sure look it, ill get over the embarrassment in time. no biggie, worse things in life blah blah.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

I asked someone out once for drink/coffee his reaction he ran for the hills never looked me in the eye again poor fella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Oh noooooooo!!! His parents must have got the note!!!!!
    You might get an answer from his dad...

EDIT:
    Missed your previous post, so actually you might not...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I asked the Oh out for a coffee coming up on three years now, we'd that coffee date, then a lunch date that turned into a lunch/dinner date, and here we are almost three years later..............

Just for ****s and giggles I asked him our anniversary and my birthday dates just now, he got both wrong, which is normal for him but fun to torment him with :D

Barna77 wrote: »
    You might get an answer from his dad...

EDIT:
    Missed your previous post, so actually you might not...

his father is the same name so i put down X jr on the envelope! jesus imagine the aul man knocking on my door...........best velet suit, dickie bow, flowers in one hand and a bottle of plonk in the other! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think brave tbh,fair play.

So he didnt reciprocate,no biggie,least you tried.
    :)

no, they are away for the last 2 weeks so he deff got it! actually when i copped they were gone, thats when i made my move! sure look it, ill get over the embarrassment in time. no biggie, worse things in life blah blah.........

He definitely knows its from you?

He definitely knows its from you?

yes, i said my name and just the house no. left my mobile no. too.

yes, i said my name and just the house no. left my mobile no. too.

Ah right, give it another day or so! If nothing then move on and I will tell ya where my letterbox is!! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was asked out to dinner once and my other half asked if we could see each other again after we met when out one night. So two direct date requests.

Had quite a few indirect "hints" dropped, one very amusingly when an acquaintance told me she'd been thinking of inviting me to be her date to a ball "as a friend" but had then remembered I had a girlfriend at the time whom she thought might "find it weird". Five minutes later when I suggested a mutual friend as a possible date she replied "ew, it has to be someone I want to kiss!".

A few months later my relationship ended and we ended up going out for a year or so. Still friends though it didn't work out.

Advertisement