Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been asked out on a date?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

I have only ever been asked out by a woman once. In fact I didn't realise I was being asked out. This colleague whom I got on well with asked if I wanted to meet for coffee and a chat. I took it as a friendly thing and was surprised to find it had a more romantic tint. Unfortunately, I saw her as a friend so it didn't work out.

Is this something that is starting to become more prevalent in modern society? I can't say I have noticed it in pubs/clubs etc but among colleagues, peers etc?

Have you been asked out and how did you react?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I have never been asked out. I don't even have horns on my face or anything!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A few times. All but one I said yes. One ended up with a relationship for a while. BTW this doesn't mean I'm a big mad roide, it just means I've been around for longer. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wibbs wrote: »
    A few times. All but one I said yes. One ended up with a relationship for a while. BTW this doesn't mean I'm a big mad roide, it just means I've been around for longer. :D

Hahah, or you get around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm a big mad roide and I've never been asked out :(

Though a girl did send her friend over to me on her behalf before, which i got a bit of a chuckle off. I was 26 or so at the time. Never thought THAT would happen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Once or twice yeah. Very headstrong and independent women. Like above I wasn't really aware it was a date, figured it was just two people meeting up for a drink or coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A few times. Once I didn't realise she meant it as a date, I just assumed she was out of my league. I just blindly went "nah I gotta get a bus home for the weekend" and then wandered off. Found out the week after and was raging at myself for being such a gombeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Couple of times,laughably enough its only happened when Ive been seeing someone anyway.

/sigh

Hasnt happened for a couple of years now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Well if Barry's tea ads are to believed, when someone in the friend zone asks you out for some reason, you should ask them straight out if it's a date.

But don't be suprised to recieve an elliptical, non commital answer like "I dunno.... is it??" which does NOTHING to take us out of the dark.

Men. Subtelty and nuance are not our strong points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Or you have a reputation for being easy. ;)

JK.

Never been asked out properly, but then I have never asked a girl out properly either, my relationships have always started through more unconventional and awkward ways.

I'm not properly single now but the next time I am then I think I will get a great kick out of asking girls out properly and also think I would enjoy being asked out by a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

I like that the recurring theme of this thread seems to be that it's only "headstrong" or otherwise aggressive women who ask men out.

So on the one hand we have a thread talking about the hilarious situation where a woman - viewed as off-puttingly bolshy - asks a man out, and in another in this same forum a load of men complaining that they always have to do the asking out and how unfair that is.

Maybe it's because, as this thread shows, society casts such dreadful aspersions on a woman who does ask a man out that most women don't bother because they don't want to be humiliated. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Mallei wrote: »
    Maybe it's because, as this thread shows, society casts such dreadful aspersions on a woman who does ask a man out that most women don't bother because they don't want to be humiliated. :rolleyes:

What dreadful aspersions are cast in this thread? :confused: One poster used the word headstrong, everyone else sounded quite positive I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

I like that the recurring theme of this thread seems to be that it's only "headstrong" or otherwise aggressive women who ask men out.
    Erm, what the fúck?

Not only is it a bit early to suggest a thread can have a recurring theme after only 10 posts, there hasn't in fact been a single reference to aggressive women, or in fact any negative comments about women at all. There's only been one post in which one poster has given his personal experience of being asked out by independent, headstrong women, and he wasn't even using that terminology in a derogatory or insulting manner...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

The very fact that a thread exists points to how strange and unusual the occurence of a woman asking a man out is, and that it's somehow worthy of extra discussion when compared to a man asking a woman out. That in itself is derogatory, and part of the problem - a woman doesn't want to "stand out" and expose herself to possible ridicule. If you want women to do their fair share of asking out then stop making a big deal out of those that do!

Asking someone out is terrifying enough as it is (which I'm sure you all know and have experience with!). A woman doesn't need the extra pressure and self-consciousness of knowing that she's doing it "the wrong way round".

Why did you feel it necessary to bring such a negative vibe to this thread!

You are right, it is unusual for a woman to ask a man out but that isnt breaking news nor is there any suggestion of negativity towards women!

Brush that chip off your shoulder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sky King wrote: »
    Well if Barry's tea ads are to believed, when someone in the friend zone asks you out for some reason, you should ask them straight out if it's a date.

But don't be suprised to recieve an elliptical, non commital answer like "I dunno.... is it??" which does NOTHING to take us out of the dark.

Men. Subtelty and nuance are not our strong points.

Id forgotten that ad. And I had forgotten how annoyed it makes me when she fluffs her line at the end, and doesn't clearly say is it, but instead says 'ziz',

To answer the OP, er, never. Though when I was about 8 a girl asked if I wanted 'to go' with her friend. My poor naive self said "Go where?". I was kicking myself about 4 years later when I figured out what she meant.

syklops wrote: »

To answer the OP, er, never. Though when I was about 8 a girl asked if I wanted 'to go' with her friend. My poor naive self said "Go where?". I was kicking myself about 4 years later when I figured out what she meant.

8???? I didn't know what a girl was till 12!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

py2006 wrote: »
    Hahah, or you get around!!

No harm in it :pac:

The beach boys say its ok then why the fvck not :cool:

Yeah I have a few times tho some I have declined because i thought to much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

So on the one hand we have a thread talking about the hilarious situation where a woman - viewed as off-puttingly bolshy - asks a man out, and in another in this same forum a load of men complaining that they always have to do the asking out and how unfair that is.

Where are you seeing this "recurring" theme? I have not seen anyone write anything negative about the experience at all. In fact every time this pops up the majority of men seem to like the idea of a woman asking them out, personally I would love it and I view the term "headstrong" as positive, the confidence of a woman asking me out even if it was battling nerves to do it would be positive points in my book.

py2006 wrote: »
    8???? I didn't know what a girl was till 12!!

Did you not read the story?

Whose casting aspersions?

Girls who ask guys out = good
    Girls who initiate sex = good
    Girls who offer to buy their own drinks, or even offer to buy the man a drink = good.

Believe it or not, most men actually love women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

BTW this doesn't mean I'm a big mad roide, i

It doesn't mean you aren't...

Outside of the world of online dating, I've been asked out a couple of times when I was in a relationship so nothing came of it.
    It's very flattering I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

I'd actually take "headstrong" as a compliment. "Aggressive" too, but that's just me.

I'm very glad to see this trend - women taking the initative. :)

Oh, and syklops - I did that same thing when I was 16! *blush*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Quite a bit :D

But it's for one of two reasons.

1) I'm just that freaking awesome
    or
    2) I'm not quite bright enough to know when a girl likes me, so I don't ask them out first.

It's probably 2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Alternatively...and i will grant you, this is a pretty shocking theory....not all men think the same?

Shocking i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I've been asked out a couple of times but I didn't realise it at the time. I think women should do it more, I don't see any reason why they can't or don't. They need to be a lot less subtle though. Simply giving someone the eyes and flicking your hair doesn't cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The very fact that a thread exists points to how strange and unusual the occurence of a woman asking a man out is, and that it's somehow worthy of extra discussion when compared to a man asking a woman out. That in itself is derogatory, and part of the problem - a woman doesn't want to "stand out" and expose herself to possible ridicule. If you want women to do their fair share of asking out then stop making a big deal out of those that do!

Asking someone out is terrifying enough as it is (which I'm sure you all know and have experience with!). A woman doesn't need the extra pressure and self-consciousness of knowing that she's doing it "the wrong way round".

Mallei,you have been warned about your posting style in tGC before so let me make it very clear to you one last time.

tGC is a forum used to discuss everyday things that alot of men experience.Female input is more than welcome however your particular brand of observations are argumentative and in my opinion posted with the sole reason to enflame or goad other posters into reacting,in basic terms,trolling so with that being said,if you cannot contribute to threads in here without resorting to gross exaggerations,fantasist notions or general trollish behavior then your access will be removed.

Thanks,
    OD.

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I've been asked out a couple of times but I didn't realise it at the time. I think women should do it more, I don't see any reason why they can't or don't. They need to be a lot less subtle though. Simply giving someone the eyes and flicking your hair doesn't cut it.

Agreed. There was a thread in tLL recently, along the lines of "Do you make the first move?", it was funny reading the comments along the lines of "All the time, I give them the 'look'".

I cant help feel that the 'look' looks an awful lot like other looks that have different meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

syklops wrote: »
    Agreed. There was a thread in tLL recently, along the lines of "Do you make the first move?", it was funny reading the comments along the lines of "All the time, I give them the 'look'".

I cant help feel that the 'look' looks an awful lot like other looks that have different meaning.

Damn women and their "looks".

My partner has a "look" and I often have to ask if she's just smiling at me with affection in her eyes, or if she's thinking "what a gobshíte"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kyle S

Yes and I would say the same as the majority of men that at the time I didn't realise, probably because it is viewed as unusual still, even in the modern society in which we live, and that is not meant in an offensive way.
    I personally think it is really cool when a woman asks a guy out, its very flattering, but ultimately this depends on what you say and how you act, if you bust on a woman in a cocky and funny way without coming across overly arrogant and dont be a wuss and aim to be the perfect gentlemen all the time, it is more likely that woman will be attracted to you and you will get asked out more and you will have better success with women in general. So in theory it is really men(this coming from a man) that are the creators of their own destruction when it comes to women, purely because the majority of men don't have a clue. This is not a kiss ass statement to any women that may be viewing this, and it is also not meant to be controversial or intended for the purpose of getting a reaction. This is just my view and what I have come to learn after a long time with little or no success with women. Rant over! lol

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Damn women and their "looks".

My partner has a "look" and I often have to ask if she's just smiling at me with affection in her eyes, or if she's thinking "what a gobshíte"

My partner has a few of those looks. And dont get me started on sighs.

Advertisement