Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been asked out on a date?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Once, by e-mail in work. Jesus, put me off the thought of relationships with colleagues for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yeah, been asked a few times. It worked out once :D the others... meh. And as for being stood up.... :mad:

Does being promised endless love by a drunk randomer count as been asked out on a date? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Barna77 wrote: »
    Does being promised endless love by a drunk randomer count as been asked out on a date? :pac:

Yes! in this limited world!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Yes is a around of sort way, My wifes friend came over to me in a disco and said she wants to go with you. Well it would have been rude to say no. Was my 1st wife so maybe yes was the wrong answer!:rolleyes:

getzls wrote: »
    Yes is a around of sort way, My wifes friend came over to me in a disco and said she wants to go with you. Well it would have been rude to say no. Was my 1st wife so maybe yes was the wrong answer!:rolleyes:

I had to read that twice! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Mallei,you have been warned about your posting style in tGC before so let me make it very clear to you one last time.

tGC is a forum used to discuss everyday things that alot of men experience.Female input is more than welcome however your particular brand of observations are argumentative and in my opinion posted with the sole reason to enflame or goad other posters into reacting,in basic terms,trolling so with that being said,if you cannot contribute to threads in here without resorting to gross exaggerations,fantasist notions or general trollish behavior then your access will be removed.

Thanks,
    OD.

thats so articualte

Im in awe <3:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I'm a divel for being asked out and not actually figuring out that it wasn't just meant as in a friend kind of thing as opposed to a "date"...

I'm a divel for being asked out and not actually figuring out that it wasn't just meant as in a friend kind of thing as opposed to a "date"...

This seems to be quite a regular thing with us guys!! I think in future women should clarify by shouting in your face, "oh by the way, the coffee thing tomorrow....IS A DATE!!!! " :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

It is a common enough thing for men not to know if a coffee or lunch invite is a friendly thing or a date. I'd never assume that type of invite was romantic either.

Which is why when I used to approach men, I would always come right out and ask if he was attached or available. That made my intentions quite obvious I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

py2006 wrote: »
    This seems to be quite a regular thing with us guys!! I think in future women should clarify by shouting in your face, "oh by the way, the coffee thing tomorrow....IS A DATE!!!! " :P

I asked out a male friend once by text (I'm a coward) and I made sure to use the word date in the text.

He said no....

• Advertisement

I asked out a male friend once by text (I'm a coward) and I made sure to use the word date in the text.

He said no....

Ah no, sorry to hear that!! Nothing worse!! I hope he said more than just "no"?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Ah yes, to be honest he was very sweet about it and didnt make it at all embarrassing for me.

Ah yes, to be honest he was very sweet about it and didnt make it at all embarrassing for me.

Well thats something!! I hope you have met somebody since! There is no worse feeling than being rejected by somebody you really like! From experience, it ruins a friendship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just to reverse the trend of what might be a sort of confirmation bias in this thread, I'm gonna say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

few times where it was suggestive but they made it out to be a casual "if you're free you wanna do this" kind of way. don't know if that counts.

I do think irish date culture is quite interesting though when you compare it to other places.

I worked with this nigerian guy in an office once. not in my department but we got chatting at a work night out. He told me he had asked four girls out from work (he'd been working there approx 6-8 weeks at the time)

People thought he was sleazy because of this but it was actually the complete opposite. In ireland when you go on a date its pretty much expected it will lead to more and if you want out in the middle you feel like you need an excuse! but the type of dates he was after was where you get to know each other and then see if you're interested. no strings attached kind of thing. I think more similar to american dating

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Not to my knowledge (there are many men, like myself, who wouldnt even realise it unless it was properly said to me, or on a big lit up neon sign:p)

That being said, I've done the asking a few times, it would be nice to be asked:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've approached guys before but, to be honest, trying to get someone's attention in a bar can feel a lot like this...even if men don't have a clue as to what is going on!

I've approached guys before but, to be honest, trying to get someone's attention in a bar can feel a lot like this...even if men don't have a clue as to what is going on!

Well that was kinda creepy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well that was kinda creepy!

LOL, well maybe not so much in a stalker-y way! :p

I guess the general point is there is a lot of hair tossing and strategic positioning and girls FEEL like they are being as bold as a fan-dancing bird...but in reality that kind of stuff is waaaay too subtle in a crowded bar, especially if there are 20 birds all flocking around. :pac:

LOL, well maybe not so much in a stalker-y way! :p

I guess the general point is there is a lot of hair tossing and strategic positioning and girls FEEL like they are being as bold as a fan-dancing bird...but in reality that kind of stuff is waaaay too subtle in a crowded bar, especially if there are 20 birds all flocking around. :pac:

Yea, standing close to a guy and flicking the hair doesn't help the penny drop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I guess the general point is there is a lot of hair tossing and strategic positioning and girls FEEL like they are being as bold as a fan-dancing bird..

AAARGH! A few years ago, I asked the ladies' lounge if they thought hair-tossing meant anything in terms of body language, and I got a resounding 'no'. Bloody wimmins with their confusion.

Been asked out a couple of times. Once, it lead to a six month relationship. Another time, a random woman on the tube handed me her phone number as she was getting off the train. I called her the next day - turns out she was ten years my senior, and a bit tipsy at the time, so that went no-where.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Yes, asked out few times. once it was put to me i want you come home with me. Didn't like to say no, would be a bit rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just on men often not realising they are being asked on a date. Perhaps it's a defensive reaction against the possibility of being labelled a creep for presuming a simple friendly invite was more than just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm happily married now, but I asked plenty of men out in my single years. That actually sounds really bad, now that I see it written down... Anyhoo, I was never one for standing around flicking the hair, giving the look, etc; if you like a guy, why not let him know? I always asked would they like to go for a drink rather than coffee - to me, coffee = friendzone, drink = date (or as close to it as you're likely to get in Ireland, anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

hollypink wrote: »
    What dreadful aspersions are cast in this thread? :confused: One poster used the word headstrong, everyone else sounded quite positive I thought.
    yawha wrote: »
    Erm, what the fúck?

Not only is it a bit early to suggest a thread can have a recurring theme after only 10 posts, there hasn't in fact been a single reference to aggressive women, or in fact any negative comments about women at all. There's only been one post in which one poster has given his personal experience of being asked out by independent, headstrong women, and he wasn't even using that terminology in a derogatory or insulting manner...

I go away for the weekend and come back to see I caused a lil kerfuffle with the word headstrong. I meant it in a positive way, the women who've asked me out previously were go getters basically. They wanted something, they worked towards it and got it. They didn't mess about. This was apparent in their professional lives and also it seems when it came to asking men out.

Anywho the thread has moved on. Hopefully I will be asked out more in the future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yes! in this limited world!
    Well, I was last Saturday night :D

Now the ball is in my court

Will wrote: »
    I go away for the weekend and come back to see I caused a lil kerfuffle with the word headstrong. I meant it in a positive way, the women who've asked me out previously were go getters basically. They wanted something, they worked towards it and got it. They didn't mess about. This was apparent in their professional lives and also it seems when it came to asking men out.

Anywho the thread has moved on. Hopefully I will be asked out more in the future :D

Don't worry, nobody apart from one bitter individual thought you meant 'headstrong' in a negative way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Is this a trick question?! Woman can ask men out? Looks like Iv been living a life of ignorance and neglect.

Can some woman on boards ask me out please to make my day/life?

Gandalph wrote: »
    Is this a trick question?! Woman can ask men out? Looks like Iv been living a life of ignorance and neglect.

Can some woman on boards ask me out please to make my day/life?

Don't even go there dude! It would be very sexist of you to make a generalisation that women don't ask men out as much as men ask women out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Don't even go there dude! It would be very sexist of you to make a generalisation that women don't ask men out as much as men ask women out!!

Aw I be playing dawg, those wimmins necks do be cramped with the amount of hair flicking they do in my direction

Advertisement