Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Leinster Colleges Football A Semi Final:

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-8 St Benildus, Dublin 0-7 (53 mins)

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-9 St Benildus, Dublin 0-7 (54 mins)

Brian McLoughlin point.

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-9 St Benildus, Dublin 0-8 (56 mins)

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-10 St Benildus, Dublin 0-8 (58 mins)

Ciarán Kelly point.

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-10 St Benildus, Dublin 0-10

Extra time again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Reminds me of the Towers v Celbridge minor final saga a few years ago. Although, I think that went to 3 games.

Would be great to see Clane hold out.

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-11 St Benildus, Dublin 0-10 (HT ET)

One score in the first half coming from a Ciarán Kelly free.

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-11 St Benildus, Dublin 1-11

Goal for Benildus could do it.

Leinster Colleges Football A Semi Final Replay:

Scoil Mhuire, Clane 0-13 St Benildus, Dublin 1-12 (AET)

Hearbreak for Clane.

Peter McNulty u21 Football Tournament Final:

Kildare 2-15 Laois 2-13 (AET)

Kildare's goals coming from Luke Flynn and Cein McMonagle. Laois led 1-6 to 0-6 at half time. Kildare needed a Conor Hartley point with the last kick of the 70 minutes to force extra time. McMonagle's goal settled it during the second period.

• Advertisement

Ryan Houlihan replaced by Daniel Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Ryan Houlihan replaced by Daniel Flynn.

I didn't make the game today any reports of it? Who played well and who didnt

I didn't make the game today any reports of it? Who played well and who didnt

Kildare were good in the first half into the teeth of a very strong breeze. They were poor after the break with the wind behind them although Westmeath never looked likely to reel them in.

Kildare defended well throughout. We gave up one goal chance (to be fair Fitzpatrick was injured which left Westmeath with a free man) but Donnellan was out quickly to get a half block on the shot and Peter Kelly cleared off the line. Westmeath were very reliant on Heslin's frees. Kildare did give up a few careless ones but the referee was needlessly fussy given the poor conditions.

Dan Flynn had one of his best games in a Kildare jersey, certainly since he came home from Australia anyway. His goal was top class and he forced two important turnovers in the second half through excellent tackling.

Niall Kelly was central to everything Kildare did well in the first half. He was quieter in the second half but the supply to him wasn't great. He did manage to kick the insurance score from a good Mark Sherry assist.

Paul Cribbin and Eoghan O'Flaherty were quiet enough. Cathal McNally was lively and got through a lot of good work. It didn't really happen today for either Neil Flynn, Adam Tyrell or Eanna O'Connor when he came on. Flynn was unlucky at one stage in the second half when he almost picked out Dan Flynn with a fabulous pass but Dan just couldn't gather it cleanly and the Westmeath keeper tidied it up.

The backs were solid enough with Peter Kelly, Ollie Lyons and Cian O'Donoghue to the fore. He was introduced for Fitzy and looked as if he had been playing at this level for years. He won all of the 50/50s with his man and pushed forward to great effect. His goal was cooly finished and put Kildare in a commanding position.

I'd guess Cian O'Neill will be happy enough even allowing for Kildare's poor show in the second half. Mullingar was always going to be one of the toughest fixtures in this campaign.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,068 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was listening to the game on kfm. Was O Connor wasteful with the free's?

beertons wrote: »
    Was listening to the game on kfm. Was O Connor wasteful with the free's?

He left a 45 short and tried kicking one with his weaker left after Tyrell had been taken off. Neil Fynn missed one from distance in the second half too.

Tyrell kicked three from four in the first half. He missed the hardest one. on the near side.

You would excuse freetakers a few inaccurate ones in those conditions. Heslin and Martin from Westmeath deserve great credit for keeping them in it. They both kicked some difficult frees.

Kildare SF (v Offaly, 7/2/16)

1. Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2. Peter Kelly - Two Mile House
    3. David Hyland - Athy
    4. Ollie Lyons - Celbridge
    5. Ryan Houlihan - Moorefield
    6. Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    7. Cian O'Donoghue - Clane
    8. Daniel Flynn - Johnstownbridge
    9. Kevin Feely - Athy
    10. Adam Tyrrell - Moorefield
    11. Niall Kelly - Athy
    12. Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge
    13. Neil Flynn - Maynooth
    14. Éamonn Callaghan - Naas
    15. Cathal McNally - Johnstownbridge

Allianz NFL Round 2:

Kildare 1-12 Offaly 1-8

Kehoe Cup:

Kildare 3-15 NUI Maynooth 3-5

Allianz NFL Round 2:

Kildare 1-12 Offaly 1-8

Kehoe Cup:

Kildare 3-15 NUI Maynooth 3-5

Leinster Minor Football League:

Kildare 1-11 Wexford 1-11
    Cill Dara 5-13 Carlow 2-6

Tough start for the hurlers tomorrow at home to Carlow.

• Advertisement

Allianz NHL 2A Result:

Carlow 2-13 Kildare 0-14

Disappointing result in the end. Kildare were a point ahead when Jack Sheridan was sent off early in the second half. Kildare were in control in the first half before a Carlow goal late in the half brought them back to within a point. The goal midway through the second half was a killer.

Kildare did show we can be competitive in this division. It's vital for this team's development that they beat the drop this year. There's a huge gap in standard between 2A and 2B. Big test ahead next weekend up in Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Poor game from two poor teams. Very dissappointed with Carlow expected alot more. Carlow played for two minutes and scored 1-2 without reply. Hard to see Kildare avoiding the drop back down based on that level of performance. A better team would have given Kildare a lesson yesterday. Version weak looking at the back as soon as a bit of pressure came on. Carlow had a lot of wides in the second half which made the scoreline more respectable. Thought the sending off was a bit harsh at the time. Though it was obviously spoken about in the Carlow dressing room at half time. Jack Sheridan was always going to re-act given provocation and the sending off was only a matter of time. Thinks its going to be a long league campaign for Kildare. The lack of options off the bench was very evident. Lack of game changers to bring in will become an issue when the pressure comes on. Going to rely to heavily on scores from Gerry Keegan and Martin Fitzgerald don't know how Kildare would be able to cope with the loss of either or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Kildare GAA
    Minor games off.
    Tonight. Moorefield v Sarsfield.
    Sunday. Celbridge v Naas
    Suncroft v Naas
    Senior A game off.
    Round Towers v Castledermot.
    Day and Time changes.
    Keogh Cup.
    Ballyteague v Castlemitchell now at 3 o clock on Saturday.
    Kilcock v Straffan now on Tuesday the 23rd at 8 pm.
    Dowling Cup.
    Ballykelly v Robertstown now on Tuesday night at 8 o clock.
    Senior A.
    Naas v St Laurence's now on Sunday at Three o clock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Keogh Cup: Kill v Nurney OFF

Kildare 1-12 Cork 3-17
    Cill Dara 1-15 Westmeath 1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Kildare 1-12 Cork 3-17
    Cill Dara 1-15 Westmeath 1-2

Were you at any of these games klairondavis?

If so, how are the new rule changes working out? Also, what was the reasoning between us adding in two teams to the league, are we the only county to do this?

Were you at any of these games klairondavis?

If so, how are the new rule changes working out? Also, what was the reasoning between us adding in two teams to the league, are we the only county to do this?

I was at them.

I think the mark should be trialled further although we've seen it before at senior level and it never seems to get the green light. I don't like the consecutive handpass rule personally.

Dublin have entered two teams in the past. I'd welcome it as a positive development from Kildare. The more players getting county experience at this age, the better.

Allianz Hurling League 2A:

Antrim 3-25 Kildare 3-13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I was at them.

I think the mark should be trialled further although we've seen it before at senior level and it never seems to get the green light. I don't like the consecutive handpass rule personally.

Dublin have entered two teams in the past. I'd welcome it as a positive development from Kildare. The more players getting county experience at this age, the better.

Is one team the A team and one team the B team or were they divided up randomly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

From what I have heard they are a mix up of both i.e A players on the B team and B players on the A team. Think the idea might be to keep the future opposition guessing as to the final squad make up for as long as possible.

Advertisement