Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Kildare SF (v Tipperary)

1. Mark Donnellan - Maynooth
    2. Peter Kelly - Two Mile House
    3. Ciarán Fitzpatrick - Kilcock
    4. Ollie Lyons - Celbridge
    5. David Hyland - Athy
    6. Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    7. Cian O'Donoghue - Clane
    8. Kevin Feely - Athy
    9. Tommy Moolick - Leixlip
    10. Adam Tyrrell - Moorefield
    11. Niall Kelly - Athy
    12. Eoghan O'Flaherty - Carbury
    13. Alan Smith - Sarsfields
    14. Pádraig O'Neill - St Laurence's
    15. Éamonn Callaghan - Naas

It's probably the strongest team we have at the minute.
    You'd love to see a big win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

It's probably the strongest team we have at the minute.
    You'd love to see a big win here.

I'd have Cathal McNally ahead of Tyrrell but I'm guessing he wants a left footed free taker in the team.

Kildare haven't looked a good team in the last few games without the pace and directness of Daniel Flynn and Paul Cribbin. We're very reliant on Niall Kelly to get scores so no surprise that Eoghan O'Flaherty is back in for this. It's a game Kildare are well capable of winning but there has to be a big improvement on the last few outings.

I'd have Cathal McNally ahead of Tyrrell but I'm guessing he wants a left footed free taker in the team.

Kildare haven't looked a good team in the last few games without the pace and directness of Daniel Flynn and Paul Cribbin. We're very reliant on Niall Kelly to get scores so no surprise that Eoghan O'Flaherty is back in for this. It's a game Kildare are well capable of winning but there has to be a big improvement on the last few outings.

Totally agree. But after 5 games this is as good as it gets. Cian o Neill should be getting the championship side together soon. We probably have 3 games before the championship left and with these 15 I'm sure they will still be in the panel come then.
    Without a doubt there is better players to come through

• Registered Users Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kildare 1-7 Tipp 0-1. Sloppy performance again Tipp missed several guilt edged chances

Kildare 2-13 Tipp 1-5. Goals from Niall Kelly and Daniel Flynn

• Advertisement

Job done. Best performance of the year so far although the bar had not been set high up until now. Dan Flynn's goal was worth the journey.

Kildare SF (v Clare)

1. Tom Corley - Moorefield
    2. Peter Kelly - Two Mile House
    3. David Hyland - Athy
    4. Ollie Lyons - Celbridge
    5. Ciarán Fitzpatrick - Kilcock
    6. Fergal Conway - Celbridge
    7. Hugh McGrillen - Celbridge
    8. Kevin Feely - Athy
    9. Tommy Moolick - Leixlip
    10. Adam Tyrrell - Moorefield
    11. Niall Kelly - Athy
    12. Eoghan O'Flaherty - Carbury
    13. Fionn Dowling - Suncroft
    14. Rob Kelly - Straffan
    15. Paul Cribbin - Johnstownbridge

Kildare U21F (v Dublin)

1. Declan Campbell - Raheens
    2. Eoghan Bateman - Naas
    3. Darren Maguire - Maynooth
    4. Paul Mescal - Maynooth
    5. Ryan Houlihan - Moorefield
    6. Shea Ryan - Sarsfields
    7. Brian Byrne - Naas
    8. Luke Flynn - Balyna
    9. Pashal Connell - Athy
    10. Conor Hartley - Sarsfields
    11. Barry Kelly - Athy
    12. Mark Sherry - Two Mile House
    13. Ben McCormack - Sarsfields
    14. Chris Healy - Two Mile House
    15. Neil Flynn - Maynooth

Leinster u21FC Final:

Dublin 2-14 Kildare 0-17 (AET)

Another missed opportunity for Kildare. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement

NFL Div 3:

Kildare 0-22 Clare 1-14

Good scoring by Kildare today but we are still very loose at the back. Nice to have an early trip to Croke Park on 23 April against Clare again.

NFL Div 3:

Kildare 0-22 Clare 1-14

Good scoring by Kildare today but we are still very loose at the back. Nice to have an early trip to Croke Park on 23 April against Clare again.

We picked up our game in the second half maybe that was fitness but we are struggling.
    I would hate to meet dublin or meath at this moment. It's the same old story with kildare

We're starting from a very low base. O'Neill needs a few years to put his stamp on things and bring new talent through. On the plus side the vibes coming out of the camp are quite positive. It has been a few years since we could say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads , great 2nd half performance , the game was played at descent tempo for most of the game our legs went late on we didnt have a sufficient bench to stay with ye late on , we need more games like this to kick on, i think we have 5 newcomers to the team from last year from the minor and u21 ranks so the more games we can get at this level next year the better

if i was critical on kldare it would be the defending , several times we cut through the middle of the defense for scores or scoreable frees , o'neill tightened up things in the second half , but it is the one area ye have to work on for the biger games later on in the year , i wouldnt worry about the aimless wides though , they were keeping the pressure on , every team hits them this time of the year and ye made up for it in the last 10 minutes

cian o'niell back in his U.L collage days used to coach our club in west clare think it was 2005 , his attitude was all about high tempo ball work in training , he was never that much interested in lads running laps , but his pattern is starting to develop on the team on todays showing ye look a better team then last year , ye will win the facile final in two weeks time, but ye will improve under him, and for what its worth he led our club to a county intermediate final that year ..... we didnt win though :rolleyes:

well done today lads , great 2nd half performance , the game was played at descent tempo for most of the game our legs went late on we didnt have a sufficient bench to stay with ye late on , we need more games like this to kick on, i think we have 5 newcomers to the team from last year from the minor and u21 ranks so the more games we can get at this level next year the better

if i was critical on kldare it would be the defending , several times we cut through the middle of the defense for scores or scoreable frees , o'neill tightened up things in the second half , but it is the one area ye have to work on for the biger games later on in the year , i wouldnt worry about the aimless wides though , they were keeping the pressure on , every team hits them this time of the year and ye made up for it in the last 10 minutes

cian o'niell back in his U.L collage days used to coach our club in west clare think it was 2005 , his attitude was all about high tempo ball work in training , he was never that much interested in lads running laps , but his pattern is starting to develop on the team on todays showing ye look a better team then last year , ye will win the facile final in two weeks time, but ye will improve under him, and for what its worth he led our club to a county intermediate final that year ..... we didnt win though :rolleyes:

That has been our problem for five years to be honest. Our half back line are very vulnerable when they're ran at. Most teams we play seem to cop it after fifteen minutes and start to create goal chances. Same pattern game in and game out. Eoin Doyle returning there will hopefully tighten things up a bit.

We do have some decent forwards. Niall Kelly would walk onto most teams and O'Flaherty is always a threat. Smith was good today but is inconsistent. Paul Cribbin has shown good form in the last two games which is a good sign and Daniel Flynn who has probably been our star performer in this league campaign was missing today. I could definitely see Neil Flynn and possibly Ben McCormack featuring in the summer after their exploits yesterday. A few of the lads we tried out today will probably lose out.

Clare have a serious midfield pairing. We know all about Gary Brennan but I thought the lad alongside him was excellent today. Tubridy is also as good a freetaker as there is around. Clare should have no fear of division 2 if they keep that team together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That has been our problem for five years to be honest. Our half back line are very vulnerable when they're ran at. Most teams we play seem to cop it after fifteen minutes and start to create goal chances. Same pattern game in and game out. Eoin Doyle returning there will hopefully tighten things up a bit.

We do have some decent forwards. Niall Kelly would walk onto most teams and O'Flaherty is always a threat. Smith was good today but is inconsistent. Paul Cribbin has shown good form in the last two games which is a good sign and Daniel Flynn who has probably been our star performer in this league campaign was missing today. I could definitely see Neil Flynn and possibly Ben McCormack featuring in the summer after their exploits yesterday. A few of the lads we tried out today will probably lose out.

Clare have a serious midfield pairing. We know all about Gary Brennan but I thought the lad alongside him was excellent today. Tubridy is also as good a freetaker as there is around. Clare should have no fear of division 2 if they keep that team together.

kelly was excellant today as was o'flaherty in the second half , smith was a serious forward a few years ago , he likes playing us though think he scored 4 points off the bench in a qualifier a few years ago against us

cathal o'connor is the other midfilder , yeah he is a serious fielder but at times his over all play can catch him out , the lad marking him had too much pace for him at times today , as for next year in division two , we need more games at this level if we are to close the gap in any way possible on kerry and cork , other then tubridy who is nearly 30 the rest of the team is fairly young mainly between 19 to 26 or there abouts it will be good experience for them ,

personally i dont think a number of teams in the next division are that far ahead of this one , cork will probably go stright back up , i reckon it will be between yourselves and derry for the second place spot , galway would be a force if they picked more corofin players while meath are probably too inconsistent , i think its only when kildare start pushing for division 1 status agin they can really start focusing on leinster and beyond, most of what played today have been there before ,

good to see huge mcgrillan back today i imagine he has a few years left to offer kildare all the time?

kelly was excellant today as was o'flaherty in the second half , smith was a serious forward a few years ago , he likes playing us though think he scored 4 points off the bench in a qualifier a few years ago against us

cathal o'connor is the other midfilder , yeah he is a serious fielder but at times his over all play can catch him out , the lad marking him had too much pace for him at times today , as for next year in division two , we need more games at this level if we are to close the gap in any way possible on kerry and cork , other then tubridy who is nearly 30 the rest of the team is fairly young mainly between 19 to 26 or there abouts it will be good experience for them ,

personally i dont think a number of teams in the next division are that far ahead of this one , cork will probably go stright back up , i reckon it will be between yourselves and derry for the second place spot , galway would be a force if they picked more corofin players while meath are probably too inconsistent , i think its only when kildare start pushing for division 1 status agin they can really start focusing on leinster and beyond, most of what played today have been there before ,

good to see huge mcgrillan back today i imagine he has a few years left to offer kildare all the time?

Division 2 always seems to be full of these fringe counties who can go either way. It has never been straightforward. Kildare were probably a top 8 team under McGeeney for a few years but it took us four attempts to get out of Division 2 between 2009 and 2012. Get a few points on the board early and it can make your year. Lose the first two games and you're in big trouble.

Hugh McGrillen took a year out last year. He could have done with getting more games early on in the year but he injured himself when out for a run on Christmas Day and today was his first time on the field with the county this year. He'll probably struggle now to make the panel for the championship once Eoin Doyle is back and Ryan Houlihan is likely to get a call up from the under 21 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was it just the junior championship draw tonight group 2 is Robertstown kilcullen cappagh ardclough grange and rathcoffey group 1 rheban caragh Milltown ballykelly I presume kildangan too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

I think Rheban might win it this year. Milltown will challenge. The likes of Robertstown and Kilcullen aren't up to much these days. Hard to believe Robertstown were a kick of a ball away from an Intermediate final 3 years ago.

Caragh gone to sh1te this year. Ballyteague beat them 1-16 to 2-2 tonight, not their first hammering of the year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Hi folks, here's a wiki entry for Castledermot:

St Dermot’s hurling club was founded by Iran natives Mouhammd Kaliki and Halib Kumenstan in 1958.

Is this an April fool joke or is it genuine? ( Just curious.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Torricelli wrote: »
    I think Rheban might win it this year. Milltown will challenge. The likes of Robertstown and Kilcullen aren't up to much these days. Hard to believe Robertstown were a kick of a ball away from an Intermediate final 3 years ago.

Caragh gone to sh1te this year. Ballyteague beat them 1-16 to 2-2 tonight, not their first hammering of the year either.

Rheban looked strongest so far alright, it's anyone's to win though, they are all so bad it's had to pick a winner from them.

Did caragh lose some players this year?Rathcoffey look good in the middle this year with ah his name escapes me from celbridge in there, if a couple of decent backs emegred they could go well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hey all,

When do Championship tickets normally start going on sale? I want to bring the kids to their first Croke Park match against Wexford on 21st May

CgEbmpWVAAAV4Gr.jpg

Leinster MFC half time:

Wicklow 0-4 Kildare 0-8

Leinster MFC:

Wicklow 0-7 Kildare 2-13

Into the last ten minutes. Kildare clear thanks to two great goals from Ciaran Kelly. Wicklow were within a point at one stage early in the second half.

Morgan O'Flaherty, Ben McCormack, Chris Healy, Con Kavanagh and Shane McNamara have been added to the Kildare senior football panel. Mark Sherry has opted off the panel.

Dan Flynn has been ruled out of the league final against Clare and is unlikely to be available for the championship opener against Wexford. Cian O'Donoghue is also out of the Clare match with a knee injury. Keith Cribbin is back training after his cruciate injury and will feature for Johnstownbridge in the next few weeks.

The Christy Ring opener against Antrim next Saturday has been moved to Parnell Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Is the match on tv (Tg4) this weekend??

Is the match on tv (Tg4) this weekend??

Yep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Can't see too many travelling with the game being on the box. They'll be lucky if the break 20,000.

Not a hope in hell am I spending the guts of €50 for a Division 3 final with zero atmosphere.

Have come to really hate Croke Park.

• Advertisement

Torricelli wrote: »
    Can't see too many travelling with the game being on the box. They'll be lucky if the break 20,000.

Not a hope in hell am I spending the guts of €50 for a Division 3 final with zero atmosphere.

Have come to really hate Croke Park.

It'll be closer to 2,000 than 20,000.

Advertisement