Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Nib wrote: »
    Kildare footballers will play Wexford in the Leinster SFC on Sunday 29 May in Croke Park at 2pm. Double header with Wexford hurlers.

Another game in an empty Croke Park. Exciting..

What's wrong with Dr Cullen Park?

There'll be more pigeons in Croke Park than fans. The Leinster Council are slowly killing their own provincial championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Dr. Cullen Park would have been perfect. I've never been there but it looks like a fine little stadium from what I've seen on television.

Bloody sick to the teeth of Croke Park and have fcuk all interest in watching Wexford v Dublin in the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Yeah totally agree. Would rather play in Wexford Park even. At least there would be an atmosphere

The two semi finals are also down as a double header for Croke Park again.

Westmeath/Offaly/Longford v Wexford/Kildare would be far more suited to a venue like Portlaoise or Navan rather than as a curtain raiser to the other semi final.

U21 footballers play Offaly in Hawkfield on 2 March.

Minor footballers travel to Aughrim to face Wicklow on 16 April (won't play at home in 2016 at all due to a ban).

U21 hurlers play Offaly in Newbridge on 25 May.

Minor hurlers travel to Carlow on 9 April.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think the Leinster council are contracted to have a certain number of Leinster football/hurling championship games in Croke Park every season. Since the Dublin footballera aren't going to be in Croker for their quarter final I'd say they decided to put the hurlers in instead and make it a double header.

They should be letting the likes of Carlow and Wicklow play in Croke Park, it'd be a novelty for them and it would attract a decent crowd from these smaller counties.

As a matter of interest, is Kildare v Offaly in 2002 the last Leinster Championship game to be played in Nowlan Park? Remember it well, it was the same day Ireland played Spain in the World Cup.

As a matter of interest, is Kildare v Offaly in 2002 the last Leinster Championship game to be played in Nowlan Park? Remember it well, it was the same day Ireland played Spain in the World Cup.

We drew with them that day in horrible weather. The replay was down there as well the following Saturday. We won it in extra time. I think we kicked 3 goals that day. Eddie McCormack scored a great individual goal and I remember Martin Lynch giving a sublime kickpass to slip Roli through for another.

U21F Semi Final:

Athy 2-19 Clane 2-7

U21F Semi Final:

Balyna 2-7 Maynooth 0-11

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We drew with them that day in horrible weather. The replay was down there as well the following Saturday. We won it in extra time. I think we kicked 3 goals that day. Eddie McCormack scored a great individual goal and I remember Martin Lynch giving a sublime kickpass to slip Roli through for another.

God bless your memory.

JTB into the All Ireland Camogie Junior Final

Castledermot on their way out of the Leinster Club IFC.

HT: Ratoath 3-6 Castledermot 1-3

No surprise. Ratoath had a good team and Castledermot not as strong as some of the past Kildare representatives in this competition.

Kildare drawn away to Antrim in the Christy Ring Cup first round.

FT: Ratoath 3-13 Castledermot 1-6

Ratoath's team sheet wouldn't look out of place in the Leinster Club SFC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

FT: Ratoath 3-13 Castledermot 1-6

Ratoath's team sheet wouldn't look out of place in the Leinster Club SFC.
    We were senior in all but name this season to be honest. The closest any team got to us in the Meath IFC was 6 points in a game played in worse conditions than today's game. Castledermot did score the first goal against us in championship football since May though. Good crowd up as well following them.

Kilcock beat Leixlip in the U21 B football final.

U21FC Final:

Athy 1-10 Balyna 2-7

Club of the Year 2015: Castlemitchell

County Footballer of the Year 2015: Paul Cribbin

County Hurler of the Year 2015: Paul Dermody

Senior Footballer of the Year 2015: Ray Cahill (Sarsfields)

Senior Hurler of the Year 2015: Paul Fitzgerald (Ardclough)

Intermediate Footballer of the Year 2015: Gavin Keating (Castledermot)

Intermediate Hurler of the Year 2015: Matthew Kemmy (Moorefield)

Junior Footballer of the Year 2015: Tadhg Fennin (Castlemitchell)

Junior Hurler of the Year 2015: Tom Carew (Coill Dubh)

U21 A Final Replay:

FT: Balyna 1-8 Athy 0-10

1-1 from Balyna in injury time. Well done to them. Athy must be gutted, they were leading all game.

• Advertisement

Jaysus must be total devastion in Athy with the senior final been similar

Balyna deserve great credit. It bodes well for Johnstownbridge and Clogherinkoe in the years ahead.

Dermot Reilly interview on KFM now.

Clem Ryan is dreadful. Shut up and let them speak!

I would've liked him to push them more on the Seanie Johnston reference in Mick Gorman's letter. I thought it was public knowledge that Pat Mangan delivered the appartment lease to Croke Park. Morgan O'Callaghan's response was fairly watery. Reilly is speaking well.

They have identified a lot of the deficits and shortcomings in Kildare GAA but they sounded light enough on how they will address these issues.

Interesting to see how many of the clubs support them next Saturday night.

€256k turned down from sportswear supplier Kukri. Considerably less was offered by O'Neills according to O'Reilly. A legal agreement prevented the switch. He claims the CB brought it up at the eleventh hour so he didn't have time to challenge it. That's astonishing if true.

O'Callaghan didn't come across too well. Very little substance over all.

O'Callaghan didn't come across too well. Very little substance over all.

Morgan is probably on the ticket to try and gain the support of the hurling fraternity.

They should have been pressed more on the specifics of how they plan to fund the ground improvements and doing away with the Hawkfield levy - that debt will still have to be serviced one way or another. "There are big businesses out there" and "there are grants available" didn't really cut it for me. I was surprised that Reilly appeared to be so down on the club draw which was quite successful from what I understand. As an annual event it could potentially provide a nice income boost for the county and individual clubs.

There is a decent groundswell of support building behind them from what I hear. I suspect there might be a few more twists before the convention if the last few weeks are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Kilcullen beat Grangenolvin in the U 21 D final Replay yesterday 2 8 to 2 5, come on the Rags, some good potential coming through.

• Advertisement

Eoghan O'Flaherty, Padraig O'Neill, Cathal McNally, Tommy Moolick and Ollie Lyons have been selected to represent Leinster in the Inter-Pro series.

Advertisement