Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Few lads here in Carlow saying it could be played on bank holiday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Arles Kilcruise won there first Laois title in 2003 on a Saturday and won in Leinster on the Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Emo v Portlaoise replay takes place next Saturday at 6:30, with Leinster game v Palatine at 2:30 the following day. Confirmed.

That's ridiculously unfair on the Portlaoise/Emo players. The GAA hierarchy clearly don't give a toss about the club footballer and hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Bring on the sash

• Advertisement

Breaking: County Board Chairman To Face Challenge At Convention.

Kfm understands that county board chairman Ger Donnelly will be facing a challenge at the upcoming convention in early December.

It’s believed that former county player and Supporters Club vice chairman Dermot Reilly will be nominated by his club Carbury for the chairman’s role.
    Kfm also has learned that Dermot Reilly has ambitions to bring the county to a healthy and secure financial position and has stated that two of his main priorites will be the transformation of St Conleth’s Park to a modern standard and also he intends to examine the pressure the Hawkfield Centre of Excellence Centre is having on clubs.

Mr. Reilly’s background is in Finance; he’s a senior partner with Price Waterhouse Coopers.

http://www.kfmradio.com/news/19102015-1742/breaking-county-board-chairman-face-challenge-convetion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

" he intends to examine the pressure the Hawkfield Centre of Excellence Centre is having on clubs."

Does this mean financially or what?

" he intends to examine the pressure the Hawkfield Centre of Excellence Centre is having on clubs."

Does this mean financially or what?

Doing away with the levy.

Talk is cheap as they say but he certainly presents a good case for himself in today's Leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Damo78

Lads, anyone any information on 2016 season tickets. Looking to purchase one and was wondering do they cover county and club matches and what price do they come at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Damo78 wrote: »
    Lads, anyone any information on 2016 season tickets. Looking to purchase one and was wondering do they cover county and club matches and what price do they come at?

I think they are separate , the club one is for championship games, the county for league and 1 round of championship if I remember correctly, the county is usually around 75-85 mark and club one 60 or 20 for oaps/students

• Advertisement

The price for the county one this year is €99 which is a significant increase since the scheme was first introduced. The club+ option is €200.

Club Kildare membership (usually €300) was made available to Season Ticket holders at €250 last year.

Leinster IFC

Castledermot 0-5 Clonaslee 0-3 (HT)

Castledermot down to 14 men and against the breeze in the second half.

I've never worn gumshields and I play 30 odd games a year. They're nothing but a nuisance. Referees in Kildare don't care, thankfully.

FT
    Castledermot 0-8 Clonaslee 0-5

Seemed like a game that won't live long in the memory.

Nib wrote: »
    I've never worn gumshields and I play 30 odd games a year. They're nothing but a nuisance. Referees in Kildare don't care, thankfully.

He booked four players for having their gumshields out! If you watch any live intercounty match you will see shots of players taking them out during breaks in play to talk to one another. Ridiculous stuff from the referee.

U21FC (A):

Balyna 3-6 Sarsfields 0-12
    Leixlip 1-13 St Laurence's 0-7
    Maynooth 2-13 Moorefield 0-5

U21FC (B):

Rathangan 4-6 Confey 2-9

Neil Flynn in sparkling form for Maynooth. They could be difficult to beat in this competition. Sarsfields possibly paying for the exertions last week although Balyna have a few fine players like Luke Flynn and Cein McMonagle.

Kill 5-7 Nurney 1-6 :D

Kilcock 1-13 Carbury 1-9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Assuming we beat the Kilkenny champions next weekend (hoping I'm not putting the kibosh on it) Castledermot will play Ratoath of Meath in the semi final. Funnily enough, the two sides met in the 2004 Leinster JFC in Athy. Ratoath have yo-yo'd a bit since then but I'm hoping for a similar result :pac:

Any county players on the Castledermot side?

Assuming we beat the Kilkenny champions next weekend (hoping I'm not putting the kibosh on it) Castledermot will play Ratoath of Meath in the semi final. Funnily enough, the two sides met in the 2004 Leinster JFC in Athy. Ratoath have yo-yo'd a bit since then but I'm hoping for a similar result :pac:

Any county players on the Castledermot side?

Gavin Farrell would be their only current county panelist. Yet to feature in league or championship for Kildare but did play O'Byrne Cup football last year.

Emmet O'Keeffe would have played underage and junior football for Kildare in the past.

I'd have seen them against Kill in the IFC. They're a solid enough outfit without being spectacular. They aren't overloaded with individual talent but they are well organised and will be difficult for teams to break down.

• Advertisement

Coill Dubh well beaten by Bennettsbridge in the Leinster IHC.

Castlemitchell also well beaten in the Leinster JFC.

Portlaoise 0-15 Palatine 1-8

Two wins in 24 hours for Portlaoise, fair play to them. I'd say there will be a few sore legs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Was great to read in indo yesterday about the work going into Kildare hurling Joe Quaid being appointed is also a good step to take as i know he will be a loss to us here in Limerick as i rate him very highly.

What's the feeling for hurling on the ground in Kildare i'm assuming football is no1 but would hurling have a chance of catching on to say in a few yrs that ye could be playing in the Liam mc carthy?

There have been great strides at development level in the last 10 years or so. We always had strong hurling clubs since the 1960s - Ardclough, Éire Óg/Corra Choill and Coill Dubh would have been keeping the hurling flame alive during those decades. They were strong rural clubs who were mainly made up of families who moved under the Land Commission.

Since the early 1980s, migration and the emergence of the commuter belt has seen the rise of hurling in clubs like Celbridge, Confey and Naas. This leads to a healthy rivalry between the traditional rural clubs and these suburban teams who have shared ten county championships between them since 2000.

Progress in Kildare hurling has been mostly driven by the clubs although the county board have slowly begun to get their act together in recent years as regards the development squads at underage level. Kildare have been very competitive at minor and u21 level recently although there has been a bit of a drop off at minor level in the last two years. Hopefully this is only a short term blip.

We have to be consistently strong at underage level because we're picking from such a small pool of clubs. It would be rare to see county players from clubs outside of Ardclough, Celbridge, Confey, Coill Dubh, Naas, Éire Óg/CC, Clane, Leixlip and Maynooth. Hurling is mostly confined to the north east of the county. South Kildare clubs have been successful in the past - Moorefield, Castledermot, Athy and Suncroft would have all won county championships in the past but hurling in the south of the county seems to have really fallen away in the last twenty years. Football is king in almost all clubs from Newbridge south.

There is more of an equal footing given to the game in the north Kildare clubs although a lot of players in these clubs will also play football. That Naas group seem to be exceptionally talented sportsmen. As a hurling supporter I would fear that a lot of them will end up opting for the bigger ball in a few years. Naas have seriously underachieved at senior football in the last twenty five years and I can't see them letting a Féile Div1 winning football team to break apart. There are a few current Kildare footballers (Fergal Conway and Eoin Doyle) who would be great assets to the hurlers but they are unlikely to ever go back to the small ball now.

Liam McCarthy status is an achievable goal but to sustain it will require further progress. We will have to try to get more clubs involved and capable of hurling at a higher level. That will need serious investment and it's money that the Kildare County Board simply don't have at the moment. I believe we could be capable of hurling at the level that counties like Westmeath, Carlow and Laois are at (we have been beating them at underage level) but I'm not sure whether we will be able to sustain that level for very long. I think we could fall away again unless there's proper investment in Kildare hurling at grassroots level.

I see Glenn Ryan has taken the Towers job and will be joined by Brian Lacey.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I didn't realise they did all that in Naas for the kids, that's deadly. I'll bring the young lad down next Saturday and see what he thinks of it. Went up yesterday for the football and he loved it. Didn't think he'd last 90 minutes. He was out like a light areir anyway.

Nib wrote: »
    I see Glenn Ryan has taken the Towers job and will be joined by Brian Lacey.

That's a serious statement of intent. Towers should be up challenging the best clubs in the county and not down in the second tier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

you see some Carlow teams playing in the Kilkenny league and it seems to be raising the standard of their hurlers, dont see why Kildare hurling teams dont follow that example with neighbouring counties and raise the bar

Advertisement