Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

0-13 1-7

Great Celbridge defending denies Carbury an equiliser. Celbridge go up the other end and reel two points off from play.

SFC 1/4 Final:

Celbridge 0-13 Carbury 1-7 (FT)

Good defensive effort from Celbridge to limit Carbury to only two points in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

IFC Q-Final Ellistown 0-5 Straffan 1-5 (HT)

Straffan started strong but Ellistown took over and led 0-5 to 0-3, Straffan came on strong at the end of the half scoring 1-2. Goal from Austin Allen.

Ellistown lead by a goal now.

Ellistown 1-9 Straffan 1-8 (FT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Senir Semi Final fixtures:

JTB V Athy
    Sarsfields V Celbridge

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How did Naas get on this afternoon?

Would I be correct in saying that we havnt been knocked out by the eventual all ireland winners since 98?

Kevin Feely was impressive for Athy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Would I be correct in saying that we havnt been knocked out by the eventual all ireland winners since 98?

We were knocked out by the beaten finalists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Joe Quaid has applied for the hurling managers job

2ndcoming wrote: »
    We were knocked out by the beaten finalists?

Maybe Im looking at this completly wrong because Im tired but I dont see how thats relevant to what I said? We got knocked out by the beaten finalists a few times over the years but its been a while since we were knocked out by the eventual winner of Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Maybe Im looking at this completly wrong because Im tired but I dont see how thats relevant to what I said? We got knocked out by the beaten finalists a few times over the years but its been a while since we were knocked out by the eventual winner of Sam

I'm with ya... I thought you meant this is the first time since 98. I think you're right anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Intermediate relegation final (FT):

Kill 4-8 Caragh 1-13

The drive for 5 is on! :D

Nib wrote: »
    Intermediate relegation final (FT):

Kill 4-8 Caragh 1-13

The drive for 5 is on! :D

tumblr_inline_nn823bWaZy1raiszg_500.gif

Kevin Feely quoted in today's Kildare Nationalist that he has no plans to play soccer and he has ambitions to play football for Kildare. Also reported that Cian O'Neill is to meet with the county board this week but it is unclear whether he has any interest in a role with Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Minor A semi final draw

Clane v St Laurences
    Moorefield v Sarsfields

Official movement on the senior football manager's position expected next Thursday. Certain people are going to put their differences aside if the rumours are to be believed.

Glenn Ryan it is.

Apparently only two men in the running - GR and CO'N. Bryan Murphy ruled himself out because he didn't want to stand in Glenn's way. Cian committed to another year with Kerry.

• Advertisement

How would you feel if Glenn was appointed, Klairon?

He seems to have a lot of detractors around the county. Why, I don't know.

His record with the U21s and Longford are pretty good, in context.

If he can instill a bit of steel into them then he will have done well. A lot will depend on the composition of the backroom team. Glenn is a great motivator and he has a huge passion for Kildare football.

There is the talent there to be doing a lot better than we are currently. We're seriously lacking in toughness and self belief. I hope Glenn is the man to organise them into a team that is hard to beat if he is appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If he can instill a bit of steel into them then he will have done well. A lot will depend on the composition of the backroom team. Glenn is a great motivator and he has a huge passion for Kildare football.

This is a good point.

Kieran McGeeney had the whole "steel and determination" down to a tee. The lads showed serious belief when they were playing which meant that even when we lost we could hold our heads high. I think one of McGeeneys weaknesses was his lack of tactical experience and his lack of ability to make decisions during games.

I have no doubt that Glenn can inspire the lads. He would have managed E.O'Flaherty, Alan Smith, Chalky, Bolton (?) as U21s and brought them to an AI Final. When he was with Longford he beat Mayo one year and ran Kerry close another year with what you would think are worse players than he has at his disposal in Kildare. He has played in an AI final himself, he has managed a team in an AI final, so maybe he might have the tactical nous to get us back competing again.

The two IFC semi finals are on tomorrow and the JFC is on Sunday.

Castledermot should beat Sallins who have done very well to get this far. I think Castldermot will have too much fire power up front and Gavin Farrell in midfield is their main man. Should be a good battle with himself and Mark Donnelly around the middle.

Raheens v Ellistown is tougher to call. Leslie Kelly is in flying form for Ellistown but I think Golly Byrne's Raheens will win by a point or two.

Cappagh and Castlemitchell will contest the Junior final. I don't know much about Cappagh these days so I've no idea who will win. If I was pushed, I'd go for Castlemitchell, they topped Division 3 and they seem to be the more battle-hardened team. It'd be great after all these years to see Tadgh Fennin lift a championship trophy for his club.

Tadhg has said that this is his last year playing. It would be nice to see him bow out with a championship medal.

Castledermot should be strong favourites for the intermediate now but it's such an unpredictable grade in Kildare. Raheens seem to have recovered well from the hiding they got off Larries in the league final. They have good young talent coming through now.

This is a good point.

Kieran McGeeney had the whole "steel and determination" down to a tee. The lads showed serious belief when they were playing which meant that even when we lost we could hold our heads high. I think one of McGeeneys weaknesses was his lack of tactical experience and his lack of ability to make decisions during games.

I have no doubt that Glenn can inspire the lads. He would have managed E.O'Flaherty, Alan Smith, Chalky, Bolton (?) as U21s and brought them to an AI Final. When he was with Longford he beat Mayo one year and ran Kerry close another year with what you would think are worse players than he has at his disposal in Kildare. He has played in an AI final himself, he has managed a team in an AI final, so maybe he might have the tactical nous to get us back competing again.

Provided there are no further twists and turns and Glenn Ryan and Joe Quaid are appointed in the near future then we should be happy enough. On the face of it anyway, they are two solid appointments considering some of the other names that were being mentioned for the two vacancies.

SFC Relegation Final (FT)

Monasterevin 1-7 St. Kevin's 0-7

IFC Semi Final:

Castledermot 0-16 Sallins 0-10

Glenn Ryan still playing away. Played for Towers' 3rd team tonight in their Reserve E final win over Raheens.

CP2LgJ-XAAE_lIq.jpg

• Advertisement

IFC Semi Final:

Raheens 0-13 Ellistown 1-7

Advertisement