Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery usage versus iphone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Some app has a wakelock and it keeping device active. You should be able to see what app is holding the lock on one of the other screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

cant see anything mate. where should i be looking?

Hmm sorry mate. I must have had a special thing before that made it easy to view. Here is the harder way (needs console commands): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5780280/how-can-i-see-which-wakelocks-are-active

Also the dev tools display it.

jesus mate havent a clue what that means,not the techiest person around. i only have a couple of apps on the phone so cant see why all of a sudden its gone like this,downloaded whatsapp yesterday evening and used it once. would it have anything to do with that??

Possibly. Some googling shows people complaining about it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=764163&page=18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Marco85 wrote: »
    jesus mate havent a clue what that means,not the techiest person around. i only have a couple of apps on the phone so cant see why all of a sudden its gone like this,downloaded whatsapp yesterday evening and used it once. would it have anything to do with that??
    Whatsapp should be fine, although it does allow notifications in the background - one of its best features IMHO.

Whatsapp is my new favorite app.

after reading through that mate.id say thats my problem alright, bit co-incidental that the battery was draining rapidly after downloading that app. any other apps out there similar to this that will let me txt free to o2 and vodafone numbers?

so have you any idea what is causing wakelock on my phone then. wakelock never appeared in my battery usage until today and i only installed whats app yesterday evening. the only other apps i have and use are twitter,ireland news,man utd news,bbc news,sky and bbc sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I have a Desire HD, my wife had a Legend but upgraded 2 weeks ago to Desire S.

I was also using a NOkia N95 as my UK O2 phone, for my family to contact me, when she upgraded i took the legend as my UK phone.

I have wi-fi and data turned off, screen brightness down to half, no apps on it.

It's been 5 days since i charged it now and it's still at maybe 25%, mayve had 20 mins of voice calls and sent a few texts.

Just goes to show how much wi-fi and constantly running apps burns the battery up

3g is the main culprit in my experience (misbehaving apps etc aside). I was in london and had data turned off because of roaming. Desire lasted monday->friday with light use for normal phonecalls + mp3player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Unplugged mine about 1am last night.
    Using periodically through put the day, some browsing texts and FM radio.

Desire
    18h 22m on battery
    Display 53% on 1hr 22m
    Cell 14%
    Dialler 13%
    Phone idle 12%
    Internet 3%
    Android OS 2%
    Wifi 2%

this is really pissen me off now. fully charged at 5pm and now its dowwn to 52% and barely touched it. just noticed i have a rake of things comin up in running services that ive never even used since i got the phone like

settings
    drm content
    software update
    task manager
    voice commands x 2
    digital clock
    social hub x 2
    accuweather
    google services
    maps
    kiers air
    imeitracker
    wi fi sharing
    wi fi sharing manager
    email
    samsung keypad

some of them running more than 50 mins. wtf are all these and can i stop them without feckin the phone up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

this is really pissen me off now. fully charged at 5pm and now its dowwn to 52% and barely touched it. just noticed i have a rake of things comin up in running services that ive never even used since i got the phone like

settings
    drm content
    software update
    task manager
    voice commands x 2
    digital clock
    social hub x 2
    accuweather
    google services
    maps
    kiers air
    imeitracker
    wi fi sharing
    wi fi sharing manager
    email
    samsung keypad

some of them running more than 50 mins. wtf are all these and can i stop them without feckin the phone up??

It's important to remember that just because they're running doesn't mean they're using battery. Wifi sharing is known to use battery mind. Of the apps you list above I have frozen using bloat freezer (without any apparent downside):

DRM Content
    Software update
    Voice Commands -I don't use this but will affect car mode if you use it
    Digital clock
    Social hub (and all other hubs)
    Kies air (don't use)
    Wifi sharing
    Wifi sharing manager - freezing these does not affect your wifi

Zagato wrote: »
    It's important to remember that just because they're running doesn't mean they're using battery. Wifi sharing is known to use battery mind. Of the apps you list above I have frozen using bloat freezer (without any apparent downside):

DRM Content
    Software update
    Voice Commands -I don't use this but will affect car mode if you use it
    Digital clock
    Social hub (and all other hubs)
    Kies air (don't use)
    Wifi sharing
    Wifi sharing manager - freezing these does not affect your wifi

right so if i download bloat freezer and freeze these you think it would improve the battery? only one id want on that list is the digital clock!

Fecked around with my settings yesterday, after needing a recharge at lunch time.

I'm now at 100% battery after 4 hours with some light browsing and Facebook as well as a 5 minute phone call over Bluetooth.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Fecked around with my settings yesterday, after needing a recharge at lunch time.

I'm now at 100% battery after 4 hours with some light browsing and Facebook as well as a 5 minute phone call over Bluetooth.
    What things did u change mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

IPHONE 4 Battery and i'm lucky to get 1 day!!

right so if i download bloat freezer and freeze these you think it would improve the battery? only one id want on that list is the digital clock!

Bloat Freezer requires root access by the way.

Digital Clock is just the Samsung Digital Clock widget, I'm sure you'll find nicer free ones around

Pulser has a list of apps you can remove freeze over at XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bloat Freezer requires root access by the way.

Digital Clock is just the Samsung Digital Clock widget, I'm sure you'll find nicer free ones around

Pulser has a list of apps you can remove freeze over at XDA

I flashed KG2 last night, froze samsung bloatware and turned off sync and things appear and awful lot better sitting at 84% now versus 60 odd this time yesterday

will be going to CM7 soon as it stable

Cyrus wrote: »
    I flashed KG2 last night, froze samsung bloatware and turned off sync and things appear and awful lot better sitting at 84% now versus 60 odd this time yesterday

will be going to CM7 soon as it stable

Yeah, was using CM6 previously on Hero, but it didn't work fantastic for my email, which I tend to rely on working (and prefer Samsung's client to stock tbh)

Just see that Villainrom 2.1 is out with no browser lag -it's KG2 based, so might give that a whirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

android os 39%
    android system 23%
    display 14%
    cell standby 11%
    phone idle 7%
    wi fi sharing 4%
    internet 2%
    voice calls 2%

how do i get this patch mate?? does it involve flasing or rooting because i havent a breeze how to do that?

Ya. Thats the android system drain alright. Anything hitting the 20% mark or above is way too much. Mine would be between 5% and 7% most of the time.
    To get rid of it? Not sure if it can be done without rooting/flashing yet. Contact your provider and see if they have rolled out 2.3.4 for the SGS2

Your other option is to flash a custom 2.3.4 ROM.
    I have the SGS 1 so I don't know what ROMs are out there for the SGS2 but check out XDA forum.
    No major hassle to flash a ROM. Just follow the instructions that each specific ROM has and you'll be fine.

Bluefoam wrote: »

What things did u change mate!
    Downloaded juice defender, lowered screen brightness, lowered screen time out, deactivated pocket ringer mode, adjusted sync settings and a few other bits an peices. Still have 95% battery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

srsly78 wrote: »
    Found your problem.

I thought the purpose of task killer was to save battery power? :confused:

I thought the purpose of task killer was to save battery power? :confused:

These were only of any use pre Android 2.0, now android manages running apps better than any task kiler. A lot of the apps that are open in the background don't actually use any battery

went it to meteor shop and explained that the battery situation was a joke and its getting worse by the day since i bought in 3 weeks ago. your man has a fiddle around with it says they will replace the phone when they get them back in stock. he said there hoping to get them in by saturday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

These were only of any use pre Android 2.0, now android manages running apps better than any task kiler. A lot of the apps that are open in the background don't actually use any battery

Fancy that, nice one! And what about juice defender, does that still help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Lads anyone able to figure this one out... Sony Ericsson Xperia (2.2), 13 hours from unchanging to phone die.. And i didn't even use it popped it into the pocket went to work and it dies on the way home...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

went it to meteor shop and explained that the battery situation was a joke and its getting worse by the day since i bought in 3 weeks ago. your man has a fiddle around with it says they will replace the phone when they get them back in stock. he said there hoping to get them in by saturday!!!

I suppose you can see how it goes but I'd say that if the new phone has the same firmware as the one you're bringing back then you'll just see the same problems.
    Your android system drain isn't going to go away with a new phone.
    You might not see it for a few days, maybe even a week or more but it will come back..........
    I just doubt very much that the hardware is the problem here.

Fancy that, nice one! And what about juice defender, does that still help?

Well juice defender could help, I tried it and personally didn't notice a lot of benefit for the nuisance of not having data on all the time. It mostly works by only having your data on for 5mins every 30mins. I use viber and whats app a bit so it would mean that messages are less than instant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Lol iPhones battery life has always been better over Android.

With every update they say they helped pro long battery life. But it never does last longer.

Advertisement