Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery usage versus iphone?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭

Not giving out, more curious, why is the iphone 4 so much better in terms of battery life v the latest android handsets.

ive had my sgs2 for a few days now and getting into a regular routine, it seems to use a lot more juice than the iphone ever did.

Typical usage would be, off charge at 6.30am, out for a run, listen to mp3s or radio for 30 minutes with runkeeper running.

then on bus to work fm radio on and reading news websites engadget, bbc etc for say 30 minutes again,

receive a few emails, texts before lunch, no calls made.

At the moment, after 4 hours and 20 minutes of on time my phone is at 64% battery.

Iphone would have been 80% or so and all the radio id listen to on that was streamed over 3g as there is no fm radio.

why is it some much better, is the battery bigger or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

16% difference at a guess is not a huge difference, you are now using a bigger brighter screen on an operating system that is fully multi tasking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bigger battery,smaller screen and underclocked processor would be the big reasons id guess.
    A lot of people would point at androids multitasking method(Apples is practically identical except they only allow specific services) but that really doesnt use as much as some claim (which just brings up the task killer argument again).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well screen is a lot smaller

Apple also underclock the CPU AFAIK

I'm not sure about iPhone4 battery capacity, but SGS2 is almost 16% lighter

You can underclock your CPU with setCPU if you are rooted, to see if this helps, but if you are getting through the day, why slow down your phone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd say its more to do with your settings.

Turn down the brightness of your screen, shorten the display timeout and adjust your sync settings. Check your battery counter and delete third party apps that use too much battery... The display is the biggest drain on battery and here you have a much bigger screen that that of the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

im havein serious battery problems the last few days with my sgs2. granted im off work sick and have been usein it a little bit more but last nite it was fully charged before i went asleep at 12.30pm and then when i woke up this morning at half ten the battery level was down at 19%. its been plugged in since 11am and now battery level is only at 46% and i havent touched it while its been chargin. anybody have any ideas for me. the screen brigtnesss is turned down low. how do i kill the background apps that arent needed?
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Check whats using the battery
    You could have the Android OS battery drain. There is a patch for that AFAIK.

android os 39%
    android system 23%
    display 14%
    cell standby 11%
    phone idle 7%
    wi fi sharing 4%
    internet 2%
    voice calls 2%

how do i get this patch mate?? does it involve flasing or rooting because i havent a breeze how to do that?

Out of interest:

Display 84%
    Internet 7%
    Cell Standby 4%
    Phone Idle 3%
    Android OS 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

right ive lost 30% since i posted and i havent touched the thing

Display 50%
    Android system 24%
    Cell Sandy by 9%

Whats the android system thing?

Says screen has beem on for 47minutes since 7 am this morning or so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

SGS2 ships with android 2.3.3 which has a small power bug. Fixed in 2.3.4, should improve things slightly.

Also, you may be running lots of unncessary stuff? Live wallpaper? GPS? Turn off stuff you don't need. Use the built in samsung power thingy, it works well I find. Note if you live in area of weak signal the phone will "work harder" to send/receive data.

Are you unlocking the phone while in your pocket? Screen shouldn't be on for that long should it? Set screen brightness to auto as well.

• Advertisement

@Bluefoam that's pretty impressive for you Android OS, what ROM are you using

@Marco85 as I was just saying in the other thread to you, the high Android OS use is usually due to a third party app downloaded from the Market or whereever, seems like this buggy app may be draining your battery

The quality of your phone signal can have quite an effect too 11% seems high, are you in a poor signal area. I have pretty good signal where I live/work, but when I'm in poor signal area I usually switch 3G off. Also I posted on Talk to Vodafone about Fast Dormancy, waiting for them to get back to me (will be surprised if they do) but probably worth switching off.

Mine:
    Display 30%
    Android OS 21%
    Drag Racing (game) 18%
    Android System 9%
    Voice Calls 8%
    Maps 6% -This is pissing me off haven't been using them
    Cell Standby 4%
    Dialer 3%
    Phone idle 3%

P.S. if anyone knows how to stop maps draining the battery then please do tell, it's becoming a bugbear

You using any map widgets? Latitude? Location aware apps? GPS turned on? Navigation running in background because you forgot to exit it?

srsly78 wrote: »
    SGS2 ships with android 2.3.3 which has a small power bug. Fixed in 2.3.4, should improve things slightly.

Also, you may be running lots of unncessary stuff? Live wallpaper? GPS? Turn off stuff you don't need. Use the built in samsung power thingy, it works well I find. Note if you live in area of weak signal the phone will "work harder" to send/receive data.

Are you unlocking the phone while in your pocket? Screen shouldn't be on for that long should it? Set screen brightness to auto as well.

im runnging a custom 2.3.4 rom, in dublin cc so no signal issues

screen gets swtiched off every time i finish with the phone, brightness set to auto,

must be one of the clocks im using or something like that?

apparently the maps issue is due to wifi sharing and its as the result of a recent update which you can uninstall?

saw that somehwhere

srsly78 wrote: »

You using any map widgets? Latitude? Location aware apps? GPS turned on? Navigation running in background because you forgot to exit it?

No, I'm not but I've noticed this on my Hero previously too, it only started happening after the update to maps which added the places widget. When I go into running applications Maps is there 1 Process 1 Service running, the process is network location service, but when I stop it it just starts again immediately

Cyrus wrote: »

apparently the maps issue is due to wifi sharing and its as the result of a recent update which you can uninstall?

saw that somehwhere

I have wifi sharing frozen using bloat freezer

i have a shazam and a youtube widget that are updating all the time, would they be killing my battery

Note that there is no official 2.3.4 for sgs2. And none of those custom roms are perfect YET. I just went and upgraded, and now my fookin bluetooth headset won't work :( (litening rom 3.0, known issue)

Zagato wrote: »
    I have wifi sharing frozen using bloat freezer

am i better upgrading titanium for a fiver or downloading bloat freezer for 75c, what other advantages to spending 5 quid on titanium give me?

Could be, my battery life is usually great when I switch syncing off, which may get back to your OP as the iphone doesn't use multitasking as much, notifications are all push notifications and maybe this uses less battery than a fetch and receive syncing.

I have 1 exchange email on push, one email account syncing every 15mins, gmail syncing, twitter and facebook syncing every 15mins via tweetdeck (could it be using my maps for my location - hang on maybe I'm signed into latitude actually D'oh) back to point- plus the usual weather updates and whatever.

Widgets that update do tend to use a lot of battery, it is why I usually try to confine myself to 3 homescreens

Cyrus wrote: »
    am i better upgrading titanium for a fiver or downloading bloat freezer for 75c, what other advantages to spending 5 quid on titanium give me?

Well that's why I got bloat freezer.

TBH used to have the free Ti Backup for changing ROMs and I used to find it a little confusing what to restore after flashing a new ROM (i.e. usually flashed the ROM to get rid of all the crap, and am I know adding it back again)

I use App List Backup and sms backup and restore, contacts are all on my exchange account, and doing a wipe is less painless now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

This is my main gripe with my desire. My gf has an iphone 4, keeps 3g and wireless on constantly, does nothing to adjust screen brightness, plays music frequently etc. and gets nearly 48 hrs from a charge. I, on the other hand, have screen brightness set to minimum, only turn wireless on for maybe 30 mins/day, limit media playback, don't use 3g, use task killer and juice defender, and still only manage 24 hrs or so from a full charge.

On the flipside my wife has a desire, refused to consider iPhone (which I thought might have suited her better, as she's not as big a fan of the tinkering as I) but refused point blank because it was so heavy.

She usually gets 2 days out of her desire with 3G and wifi on all the time, but she mostly uses it as a phone, doesn't browse on it -although she did just find teeter last night:p

Zagato wrote: »
    @Bluefoam that's pretty impressive for you Android OS, what ROM are using?

Stock Android 2.3.3 with Sense 2.1 on Desire S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I was also anti-iphone buying mine, as I wanted something that was easier to tinker around with ;)

That is true though, if I use it only as a phone it goes forever :)

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Stock Android 2.34 with sense on Desire S

Cool, am waiting to move to 2.3.4 at the mo, the SGS2 ROMs still seem a little buggy

Think the Desire S is the best looking android at the moment, and a nice size for your hand and your pocket - Don't get me wrong I like my big screen:p

This is my main gripe with my desire. My gf has an iphone 4, keeps 3g and wireless on constantly, does nothing to adjust screen brightness, plays music frequently etc. and gets nearly 48 hrs from a charge. I, on the other hand, have screen brightness set to minimum, only turn wireless on for maybe 30 mins/day, limit media playback, don't use 3g, use task killer and juice defender, and still only manage 24 hrs or so from a full charge.

Found your problem.

something seriously up with mine. on charge since 11 this morning,got home at 2 and it wasnt fully charged so left it on charge. after gettin home there now and says its fully charged so unplugged it and check battery level and its at 85%. i downloaded 'whatsapp' yesterday,surely this couldnt make my battery go so bad just like that??

Marco85 wrote: »
    something seriously up with mine. on charge since 11 this morning,got home at 2 and it wasnt fully charged so left it on charge. after gettin home there now and says its fully charged so unplugged it and check battery level and its at 85%. i downloaded 'whatsapp' yesterday,surely this couldnt make my battery go so bad just like that??

That seems a little unusual, but it is fairly normal for you battery to appear to drop up to 10% after you unplug. It's bad for your battery to be fully charged, so your phone tries to avoid it being fully charged for any length of time. Your phone gives you the impression that it charges it to full, and then keeps it at that while plugged in.

However as I understand it, what actually happens is that your phone charges rapidly at first, and then after ~90% slows to a drip feed slowly charging up to 100%, then lets it fall back to 90% and starts to drip feed again. While this is all happening the phone is saying that it's fully charged, and then after you unplug it, it quickly corrects to where the charge is really at.

You can 'overcharge' your phone by fully charging it, unplugging switching it off and plugging in for another half hour, you will get longer out of the charge but less life out of your battery doing this

WhatsApp shouldn't do that, but it might be worth doing an uninstall and then reinstall, if it's the only thing different and you feel your battery is definitely worse, and as Srsly points out don't use any taskillers

how long should the phone take to fully charge?

• Advertisement

battery usage at the moment
    1h 5m 27s on battery

display 38%
    wakelock 22%
    Android OS 21%
    android system 13%
    cell standby 5%
    phone idle 3%

wtf is wakelock??????

Advertisement