Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Mc Love wrote: »
    I mean Munster pushed off the ball by the likes of Treviso & Leinster

I can understand the frustration with Treviso..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I mean Munster pushed off the ball by the likes of Treviso & Leinster

WTF? Odd comment.

Tried Xtravision, Smyths, Argos, HMV... none of them were stocking it. I generally try to avoid Gamestop like the plague due to their ridiculous prices, but had no choice.

Much better than RWC anyway. Playing as club teams is great. Pity they don't have all the international licenses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Ya picked it up in gamestop got 25euro trading resistance 3. Bad form the other stores not supplying the game. A lot better than the 12 Game were offering for res3 !

PSN: marvsins add me for rugby also fifa12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Very frustrated now with this game, cant dive into try area, instead you are held up and pushed into dead ball zone. Also the breakdown is a bit of shambles, no matter what you do, you never know if you are going to get the ball or not even if you have committed more men to the ruck than the other team, I mean Munster pushed off the ball by the likes of Treviso & Leinster

Now as I frustrated at present, its still much better than RWC game!

Also tried playing a match online with a fellow boardsie and it wouldnt work, we tried sending each other invites and when you accept you are either waiting for the other person to join or you see the other persons name where your name should be under the team you selected.
    I only managed to have two games online because it kept saying the game was full - pretty ridiculous
    While I am thankful that we have an actual rugby game to play, i think if they make a new one next year there will have to be a good few improvements

Make sure to avoid people in the dead ball area then when your going to score a try :P But yeah it can be annoying being tackled into the sideline when your in for the try.

A lot of the breakdown stuff works based off how good the tackle was. If you drive the player back in the tackle you'll get a advantage at the breakdown. Try not to go in thinking you have to win every ruck.

Drop Goals are fine tbh. It's the same system RWC uses. You may think all you have to do is line it up when you press the button but you'll find that if your running or if your player has a terrible kicking rating the ball will miss the posts by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The developers did a video there recently on youtube on the game and the breakdown stuff makes sense really. If you are driven back in the tackle you have slightly less chance of winning the turnover. And vice versa. If you are isolated in the tackle you will have less chance of winning the breakdown. And vice versa. Video is up on youtube somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Got the game on Friday and will be trading it in on Monday.After the initial hype of the first few matches died down I just began to get annoyed at all the things lacking in the game.Rucking is terrible,getting your backs to line up properly is a lottery,lineouts are almost useless as an attacking platform,player stats are mostly way off,the passing game is hit and miss aswell.I still can't come to terms with props being able to fire passes half way across the pitch over their heads while going to ground.

Maybe I expected too much from it.Maybe if they had an EA sized budget they could iron out all of the glitches to make this into a proper game.I hope they build on this platform next year and just fix all of the things that are lacking this year.

Then we could have a true Rugby 08 successor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

should get basics right first then worry about fancy stuff like mentioned the backs never line up the defending is pretty though too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

How much in tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Chavways wrote: »
    Got the game on Friday and will be trading it in on Monday.After the initial hype of the first few matches died down I just began to get annoyed at all the things lacking in the game.Rucking is terrible,getting your backs to line up properly is a lottery,lineouts are almost useless as an attacking platform,player stats are mostly way off,the passing game is hit and miss aswell.I still can't come to terms with props being able to fire passes half way across the pitch over their heads while going to ground.

Maybe I expected too much from it.Maybe if they had an EA sized budget they could iron out all of the glitches to make this into a proper game.I hope they build on this platform next year and just fix all of the things that are lacking this year.

Then we could have a true Rugby 08 successor

Yeah I'm not blown away either. I want this game to work. In fairness though, you know there is sliders in the game that can control the offload success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

doccy wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not blown away either. I want this game to work. In fairness though, you know there is sliders in the game that can control the offload success.

I know but even the sight of someone going to ground and being about to chuck the ball over their head to the other side of the pitch while looking to other way just isn't realistic.Its just annoying that they didnt nail down the basic things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Enjoying this but christ the offloads are ridiculous. Played against some guy and he had over 70 off loads. realistic alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone take on NZ yet? Had horrid time with Ireland. Brought the ball in favourably at the ruck, turned over, couldnt even make it out of my own half.

What do people use at line out, sometimes circle works for me, and sometimes x

Also do you use the quick bind or heavy bind at rucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I'm still losing by twenty points to the All Blacks, but my scrum is solid, line outs are fine, and I'm bossing the rucks even against the Kiwi's.
    Heavy binds the rucks. The game will reward you if your going forward.
    My main problem is the commentary and graphics. Its a very very messy game in open play. if you play the game as a series of set plays, you do well but its just not enjoyable in open play :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Just a reminder I'm organising a tournament on PS3, for Rabodirect Pro 12 and Top 14 Orange.

I'm in the process of contacting people who have already chosen teams to make sure they are still up for it.

I want to kick this off later this week.

Please pick a team from one or both of the leagues from the list below which shows which ones are still available, when I hear back (or don't hear back) from the people I have contacted, some of the teams that were already taken may become available again.

I know the teams left aren't great but I want to do this in 2 separate tournaments (with the same forum members playing, assigned the same teams) - 1 with balanced team stats and 1 with unbalanced so everyone should have an equal chance with the balanced tournament

PS3

Teams taken:

RaboDirect Pro 12:
    Munster
    Leinster
    Ulster
    Ospreys
    Scarlets
    Connacht
    Cardiff Blues
    Newport Gwent Dragons
    Edinburgh

Top 14 Orange:
    Toulouse
    Clermont
    Toulon
    Biarritz
    Perpignan
    Stade Français
    Racing Métro
    Montpellier

Teams Left:
    RaboDirect Pro 12:
    Aironi
    Benetton Treviso
    Glasgow Warriors

Top 14 Orange:
    SU Agen
    Aviron Bayonnais
    Bordeaux
    Brive
    Castres Olympique
    Lyon OU

doccy wrote: »
    I'm still losing by twenty points to the All Blacks, but my scrum is solid, line outs are fine, and I'm bossing the rucks even against the Kiwi's.
    Heavy binds the rucks. The game will reward you if your going forward.
    My main problem is the commentary and graphics. Its a very very messy game in open play. if you play the game as a series of set plays, you do well but its just not enjoyable in open play :(

I just ignore the commentary, the graphics are decent considering we havent had a rugby game for ages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

this is the best rugby game i have played in a long time trust me lol

my issue is with wookie nobs that dont know anything about the game online you barge at them and when they know they are up **** creek BOOM rage quit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Is there no penalty for quitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 WastedSpace

this is the best rugby game i have played in a long time trust me lol

my issue is with wookie nobs that dont know anything about the game online you barge at them and when they know they are up **** creek BOOM rage quit :mad:

That's not hard - there's not been a good rugby game since the original Jonah Lomu on PS1.. so how good is this one? Worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

That's not hard - there's not been a good rugby game since the original Jonah Lomu on PS1.. so how good is this one? Worth buying?

i think its well worth buying to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mystic86 wrote: »
    Just a reminder I'm organising a tournament on PS3, for Rabodirect Pro 12 and Top 14 Orange.

I'm in the process of contacting people who have already chosen teams to make sure they are still up for it.

I want to kick this off later this week.

Please pick a team from one or both of the leagues from the list below which shows which ones are still available, when I hear back (or don't hear back) from the people I have contacted, some of the teams that were already taken may become available again.

I know the teams left aren't great but I want to do this in 2 separate tournaments (with the same forum members playing, assigned the same teams) - 1 with balanced team stats and 1 with unbalanced so everyone should have an equal chance with the balanced tournament

PS3

Teams taken:

RaboDirect Pro 12:
    Munster
    Leinster
    Ulster
    Ospreys
    Scarlets
    Connacht
    Cardiff Blues
    Newport Gwent Dragons
    Edinburgh

Top 14 Orange:
    Toulouse
    Clermont
    Toulon
    Biarritz
    Perpignan
    Stade Français
    Racing Métro
    Montpellier

Teams Left:
    RaboDirect Pro 12:
    Aironi
    Benetton Treviso
    Glasgow Warriors

Top 14 Orange:
    SU Agen
    Aviron Bayonnais
    Bordeaux
    Brive
    Castres Olympique
    Lyon OU

I might take one of the underdog teams. What's the times etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Ive waited years for a Rugby game on PS3 and was delighted when two games were released.Having read some pre-release reviews i bought the Jonah Lomu game as it was said to be the far superior game,but it actually turns out to be an atrocious excuse for a game.Just wondering has anyone else played it and what are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

yeah its complete rubbish.Managed to get a copy of it a few weeks ago,played it for a few hours and can honestly say i'll never play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

i'll take castres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I'll take Glasgow and Bayonne.

Two separate tournaments I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

I'll take Aironi if poss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

PS3

Teams Left:

RaboDirect Pro 12:
    Connacht
    Benetton Treviso
    Newport Gwent Dragons

Top 14 Orange:
    SU Agen
    Perpignan
    Bordeaux
    Brive
    Racing Métro
    Lyon OU

These are the teams left now, the ones in bold are from 2 forum members who pulled out... come on guys grab a team or two and commit and lets kick this off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mickob16 wrote: »
    Ive waited years for a Rugby game on PS3 and was delighted when two games were released.Having read some pre-release reviews i bought the Jonah Lomu game as it was said to be the far superior game,but it actually turns out to be an atrocious excuse for a game.Just wondering has anyone else played it and what are your thoughts?

I'm enjoying it anyway. It has quite a few bugs and isn't as polished as FIFA or Madden (was never going to be given the budgets involved) but the general gameplay is good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Anyone have link to ratings of munster or leinster players in the game?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Anyone have link to ratings of munster or leinster players in the game?

No but you can change them in the game if you are not happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

mystic86 wrote: »
    PS3

Teams Left:

RaboDirect Pro 12:
    Connacht
    Benetton Treviso
    Newport Gwent Dragons

Top 14 Orange:
    SU Agen
    Perpignan
    Bordeaux
    Brive
    Racing Métro
    Lyon OU

These are the teams left now, the ones in bold are from 2 forum members who pulled out... come on guys grab a team or two and commit and lets kick this off :)

I'll take Racing Metro. Cheers!

Advertisement