Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best supporters??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

grenache wrote: »
    Off The Ball guys tonight on Newstalk said Limerick have already snapped up 18,000 tickets for Dublin match on Sunday. And it's not even Thursday yet. Nice to see the hunger is back.

Of all the counties I would Love to see Limerick win an AI, realistically cant see it this year anyway, but over the years ye deserve one..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

buckwheat wrote: »
    Booing frees and so on has being going on from supporters from pretty much all counties as long as I've been going to games. It's not a new thing and it's not just a Dublin thing either. It's harmless anyway IMO

There was a quote from some rugby placekicker once (think it was Wilkinson), and it was along the lines of, he doesn't mind the booing or whistling it's part and parcel ... but the deathly hush of 80,000 tightened the sphincter ...

Regards the comment further up, that Cork wouldn't have booed if The Hill hadn't started ... Really ? ... Come on ... yiz are Rebels !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TreatyGuy

I think the Limerick fans performance on Sunday puts an end to this debate.They were unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Clare fans are ****e to support, there was only about 7 of us there last saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

This is a debate that could go on forever, but even from the few posts I've read in it, everyone agrees that each county has their good and bad fans. Every county has their sunshine supporters. Different populations may influence the apparent size of the fans, but percentage-wise it probably is not very different in any county.

We know fans only come out for the big games. A good recent example is when Cork played Down in the All-Ireland final in 2010 and Croke Park was full. In 2011 they met in the quarter final, also a knockout game with the chance of winning the championship being critical, and very few turned up. There are many similar examples.

Just weeks from now we'll see people posting in here looking for tickets for the final from people who haven't been at a match this year and have never posted in here. In any year if you take the two semi-finals and then minus the amount of support of the losing counties and add the support of the winning counties together, you'd come to the conclusion that there would be no need to have the upper decks of Croke Park open on All-Ireland final day. Yet, ignoring neutrals and others that get tickets automatically, out from the woodwork come all the first match of the year fans. Many that look for final tickets, demanding their right to have one given where they are from, didn't even know their county was in the semi-final until after they heard the result. We see it here every year and those of us that are good GAA fans can all tell stories of being asked for tickets by people who have little or no interest. Here's mine:

I go to a lot of GAA matches, including many inter-county ones where my own county, Dublin, are not playing. Most people that know me would know of my great passion for GAA. In 2007, after Limerick reached the Hurling final, someone that knew me came to me asking for final tickets. I asked her had she been at the semi-final, which she hadn't, or any other matches. Her only reply was to keep telling me that she was from Limerick and so deserved a ticket. Even if I did have a spare one, I wouldn't have given it to her.

I am sure we could all take that story, and swap Limerick for some other county, as all 32 counties have people like this. There are 32 counties with the joint best fans, and those 32 counties also have the worst fans. Every county has a cohort of fans that go to matches from January to December, and then there are the rest of the fans, and after that there are the people with no interest whatsoever who want to go to finals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I could insert a witty comment about fans just coming out when their team wins something and link it to the resurrection of a Zombie thread, but I think I'll just lock this instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement