Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best supporters??

Options
  • 19-07-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just had a conversation with a dub there and he thinks that Dublin have the best gaa fan base by far! They may have more people at the games but does this not have to do with population?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

By population I would say Roscommon are the best supported side in the country and maybe by a long way. Population circa 44,000 and they had maybe 15,000 fans at the Connaught final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Every county has the best supporters, it's just that every other county doesn't realise this.

I can't see this thread going anywhere but a row between different supporters, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, any trolling or trying to rise other supporters will lead to the thread being locked and posters banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nicmarie

every county dosn't have the best supporters. Some counties dont bother travel an hour to go see their teams! All the dubs think they have the best supporters beacuse they always fill stadium! I just think its because of the population size like I know not all of the population is originaly from dublin but they would have more people from dublin than most other counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Kildare have the best supporters by far..

We travel in big numbers all the time and still have won nothing, ture fans.:D

Roll on saturday with another day out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

As a Dub supporter and allowing for the partisan following for the team from the hill, I have to say that the most fervent supporters I've seen in the rest of the ground would be Kildare, then again not that far to travel.

The one set of supporters that really stood out in my mind on a single occasion was the Clare supporters in the '92 S/F..... although they lost that day I remember thinking that they deserved another shot at it for the supporters alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

By population I would say Roscommon are the best supported side in the country and maybe by a long way. Population circa 44,000 and they had maybe 15,000 fans at the Connaught final.

i'd say we took upwards on 20-30,000 to the AI quarter final last year, most of the county was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

All gaa fans are fantastic we keep the game alive and kicking, every county have great support and fans, its all to do with population of course for numbers but all fans are fantastic

I would think kildare were the best supporters also but the dubs say that they fill more stadiums and have a larger fan base. I just think that its becasue there are more dubs than lillies! For kildares population the fan base is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niall M

being from kerry, i would say the cork football fans are the best. they had to endure so much heartache and disappointments but still travel in their droves.

Well if we equate "best" supporters with committment ... then an honourable mention should go to Tyrone and Armagh in 2005 ... championship football/hurling brings out the best in supporters ... now a cold Winter's day for a league game is a completely different animal :D

• Advertisement

Niall M wrote: »
    being from kerry, i would say the cork football fans are the best. they had to endure so much heartache and disappointments but still travel in their droves.

LOL ... using that logic da Dubs are definetely the best ;) .. Cork, Kerry, Tyrone and the worse of all v Mayo in 2006 .. *sighs*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

All gaa fans are fantastic we keep the game alive and kicking, every county have great support and fans, its all to do with population of course for numbers but all fans are fantastic

Agreed. Also every county has their fair share of idiots who are only there to shout abuse and cause a row, so to say any county has bad supporters is a bad generalization imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

There are many many ways to define 'best supporters' - in fact so many ways that it essentially renders the term itself worthless.

If it comes to support as a proportion of population, then surely Leitrim in 1994 against the Dubs has to feature very highly. If it comes to pure numbers, then Dublin win hands down, but I always reckoned that Kildare had a very large support - I remember seeing a figure that suggested they had something in the region of 45,000 fans at the 1998 All Ireland semi-final against Kerry - that is impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Has to be Waterford,always travel in huge numbers

It is probably very hard to tell because you would have to work out the original population as in people who are actualy from dublin to be able to work out the stats of who has the largest fan base taking into consideration the population of their county.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

Unlike Kerry, who only go for the final...kerry support at the down game last year was shocking for what i can remember...reason I say all this is I hear it from friends etc who wont go unless its in croker against a big team

Must agree that Roscommon are great supporters...against Cork in the q final I was surrounded by Roscommon fans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

im from Galway and its fair to say ... we are NOT the best fans ....
    Poor attendances for most games unless we make it to q/f of s/f !!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Has to be Cork.
    They have to travel for both the Football and the Hurling! :p:pac:
    (most years!!). :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niall M

crebel81 wrote: »
    Unlike Kerry, who only go for the final...kerry support at the down game last year was shocking for what i can remember...reason I say all this is I hear it from friends etc who wont go unless its in croker against a big team

Must agree that Roscommon are great supporters...against Cork in the q final I was surrounded by Roscommon fans :)

I agree completely with you, i go to all kerry games with my brother and we are usually embarassed at the lack of kerry support.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford were once a supporter stronghold but it has rapidly decreased in the last few years and this sunday could be embarrising for the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

Best I've seen: Roscommon for AI q/f last year. Not only were they there in their droves but they also created a massive atmosphere, pretty much on their own. They were celebrating in the bars afterwards as if they'd won the match! Some difference to the Meath supporters who arrived in later having lost to Kildare. I know expectations would have been different.

Messiest I've seen: Has to be Tipp!! Before the match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh last year I've never seen so many fellas falling aorund drunk. It must have been from all nighters as there was hardly enough time to get that drunk before the match. They were unreal roudy down the City End during the minutes silence also, think it was for one of their own as well. This isn't a dig by the way (just an observation, I'm fond of a few scoops myself), I like mixing with the Tipp crowd. Very gracious and knowledgable for the most part.

The Cork fans are an impressive sight in the Thurles town end terrace on a sunny day before a big hurling match. The football supporters only come out in their droves for a wkd in killarney really, or an AI obviously.

Biggest ref bashers: I would have to say, reluctantly of course, Galway. Being at the U21 Football semi final this year and the hurling a couple of weeks back, they really do seem to take issue with every single decision. Again, just an observation, nothing personal and it may have just been a bit of a coincidence as well as being more easily annoyed due to losing both matches!!

Best fun: All the Northern boys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

phkk wrote: »
    Has to be Waterford,always travel in huge numbers

Cork always always always outnumber ye

Cork in hurling imo

Football hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I agree completely with you, i go to all kerry games with my brother and we are usually embarassed at the lack of kerry support.

Eh, yes. I'm sure the performance of the team comforts that blow somewhat!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Football - Roscommon and Wicklow

Was working very close to Croke Park the day they were playing Cork and they came out in huge numbers and were really nice people.This was evident on Sunday where they outnumbered Mayo even though it was in Roscommon.

Wicklow,despite not winning anything of note do come out in big enough numbers.Mick O Dwyer has certainly raised Wicklows profile to the point that it can only go better.

Hurling - Dublin and Waterford

Dublin through bad times and good times have always had a core support unlike any other county I can think of.

Waterford fans will keep coming back despite some heavy losses in big games over the years.Even in the 2008 AI Hurling Final,nearly all of them stayed until the final whistle when the game was over even before half time.Thats what true support is all about,supporting in the really bad times and the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness the Dublin support is dam awesome site to see Hill 16 last year in the semi final but its easy for them to come along when they only have to roll out of bed to get to Croker.

Cork have been in both semi finals last year and same applied in 05 06 and as well in 99..

A train ticket from Cork is 70quid plus roll in food and whatever and thats one expenisve day before you even think about paying for tickets.. My Dad goes to all Cork games and brings my younger brother and the fact we been in final or semi finals every year since 03 thats hell of lot of money over time...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Will be interesting to see how many Dublin supporters make the trip to Thurles on sunday. Let's see them fill a stadium outside of Dublin.

Will be interesting to see how many Dublin supporters make the trip to Thurles on sunday. Let's see them fill a stadium outside of Dublin.

In fairness the hurlers never filled Croker anyway. Tho I tell ya one thing, the hurling support in Dublin is maximised by FODH they'll be ferrying buses to Thurles on Saturday don't be suprised by a decent support for them.

There's a fallacy about Dubs not travelling, Pairc Ui Chaoimh '83, Thurles twice in 2001 where we packed the town 2 weeks in a row and Clones 2003 with the 5 mile walk in as parking couldn't be got any nearer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

That's why they got a couple of thousand for one of the qualifier games last year in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Yes im biased but Kildare do have massive support. Roscommon for their population have a huge fanbase too. A lot hung around for the kildare-meath game last year to support kildare with the dermot earley connection, nice people.

One time i was impressed with dublin fans was when they played kerry in thurles years ago. they travelled in numbers that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Dublin's hardcore support is unreal but if they were the best supported side in the country they'd sell croker out every single time when it's only out the road for them. their hardcore diehard support on the hill is class though like i said. Its symptomatic of the sides with high expectations though, in a similar vein Cork and Kerry will only pack a ground on All Ireland day or when they play each other.

I really think it has to be us in Roscommon, not tooting our own trumpet but for a county whose largest urban area is a suburb of Athlone we really do travel in huge numbers, against Mayo a few days ago and Cork last year I literally knew more people going to the matches than those who weren't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement