Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best supporters??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

spiralism wrote: »
    Dublin's hardcore support is unreal but if they were the best supported side in the country they'd sell croker out every single time when it's only out the road for them. their hardcore diehard support on the hill is class though like i said. ...........
    As a Dub supporter I'd have to agree with you. Dublin's hardcore support probably numbers around 30,000 with transient support of about another 30,000. The diehard support on The Hill numbers no more than 4,000, particularly for league games where other distractions - Airtiricty League & Rugby take away a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yop wrote: »
    After Sunday I would not say that the Rossies are the "Best Supporters", maybe yes bring a great following but the disrespect they gave to the Galway minors and Mayo team during the game was embarrassing really.
    As I also said in another thread, shouting and jumping up and down, one section it maybe, during the National Anthem is down right ignorant.

Without doubt they bring a following though.

Like others have said, it's just a vocal minority that every county has. The rowdy atmosphere at the graveyard end was mostly caused by the man in the hospital issue forklift riling up kids already pre-disposed to that sort of behaviour, but don't let that stop you from unduly tarring a whole county's supporters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Syferus wrote: »
    Like others have said, it's just a vocal minority that every county has. The rowdy atmosphere at the graveyard end was mostly caused by the man in the hospital issue forklift riling up kids already pre-disposed to that sort of behaviour, but don't let that stop you from unduly tarring a whole county's supporters.

Nope outside of the Dubs on the hill, I can't say I have come across other fans booing the opposition teams.
    He wasn't telling them to boo the Galway minors or the Mayo team as he wasn't even up there during the minor game.

I am not tarring at all, I am just telling you the way it was, check the reports in the papers and you will see it wasn't just me who noted this.

Nope outside of the Dubs on the hill, I can't say I have come across other fans booing the opposition teams.........

Really ? .. It's just the Dubs that boo ? ... we boo the loudest I grant ya ..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

DoctaDee wrote: »

For the Leinster Final last year i remember Louth fans booing quite frequently. And that was before the incident at the end.

• Advertisement

Nope outside of the Dubs on the hill, I can't say I have come across other fans booing the opposition teams.
    He wasn't telling them to boo the Galway minors or the Mayo team as he wasn't even up there during the minor game.

I am not tarring at all, I am just telling you the way it was, check the reports in the papers and you will see it wasn't just me who noted this.

I've seen Leitrim chant Geoff-rey, Geoff-rey constantly at our 'keeper, Geoffrey Claffey, I've seen Sligo fans do similar and jeer whenever a Roscommon player got a shot, took a free or the keeper was about to kick the ball out. I've seen Meath fans (and Kildare fans too) do it when they were on the Hill in their quarter-final with Kildare last year. All in the past year, no less.

It tends to be a terrace thing because those are the cheapest seats and there's always likely to be more chance of people who don't give a toss about the game or sportsmanship where-ever the cheapest seats are. Don't single out or blame any county for something that very clearly endemic.

Indie. wrote: »
    For the Leinster Final last year i remember Louth fans booing quite frequently. And that was before the incident at the end.

Yeah my point exactly ... The Rebels gave as good as they got in the AL S/F last year .. not condoning booing for a second here ......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I've seen Leitrim chant Geoff-rey, Geoff-rey constantly at our 'keeper, Geoffrey Claffey, I've seen Sligo fans do similar and jeer whenever a Roscommon player got a shot, took a free or the keeper was about to kick the ball out. I've seen Meath fans (and Kildare fans too) do it when they were on the Hill in their quarter-final with Kildare last year. All in the past year, no less.

It tends to be a terrace thing because those are the cheapest seats and there's always likely to be more chance of people who don't give a toss about the game or sportsmanship where-ever the cheapest seats are. Don't single out or blame any county for something that very clearly endemic.

Why would Leitrim fans be chanting the name of the opposition counties keeper??? :eek:

Did they cheer during the National Anthem... don't think so. Can't defend the indefensible in that now.

Why would Leitrim fans be chanting the name of the opposition counties keeper??? :eek:

Did they cheer during the National Anthem... don't think so. Can't defend the indefensible in that now.

They were the fans behind Claffey's goal; they were either trying to rile him or put him off, probably both.

No one is defending it, just explaining to you that it's certainly far more widespread than Roscommon and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

DoctaDee wrote: »

every county has supporters that do it, every single one of them. if you dont belive me, take a look at any all ireland gold showing on TG4.

hello old friend, this thread, or a variation of it, pops up every year. its sort of like Martin Breheny in the Indo, he only ever seems to write six columns and just mixes them up a bit to fill up 50 weeks of the year.
    as for the rolling out of our beds stuff, someone has posted about the fact that when the footballers go to anoter venue outside of CP in the Championship we always pack it out.

Again, people have to relaise that the GAA population of dublin is, according to Tommy Carr who did a study of this, about 120,000. Thats not massive, and so the core element of some 30,000 - 40,000 isnt that bad. What we have seen, espicially in the Leinster Final this year, is that a lot of those who could afford to go to dublin games just cannot anymore. I also think that the novelty factor of the new croke park has worn off a lot the past few years, going to the dublin matches was the sexy thing to do, and has been overtaken by the success of leinster rugby, which is why we are back to the core who used to be at the old venue, and their children.

• Advertisement

Give that man a crepe paper Dublin hat .. well said

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

In my experience Kildare always bring a v good crowd. Having lived in Cavan for a few years I've no doubt that if the got as much as a sniff of success they would fill any ground as well.

Think we have very good support in Meath myself. It's probably not what it was ten years ago when we were flying but we've been all round the country in the qualifiers over the last number of years and usually bring a very good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Cork always always always outnumber ye

Cork in hurling imo

Football hard to know

Not true, and anyway cork have around 5 times the population of waterford so you do the sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not true, and anyway cork have around 5 times the population of waterford so you do the sums.

Well I remember in 2003 and 04 and few other years there was just as many Cork fans in the terraces on your side as any..

Cheers for smart comment:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Well I remember in 2003 and 04 and few other years there was just as many Cork fans in the terraces on your side as any..

Cheers for smart comment:rolleyes:

Well I remember '62
    I was sixteen and so were you
    And we lived next door,
    On the avenue.
    Jerry Lee was big and Elvis too;
    Blue jeans and blue suede shoes,
    And we never knew
    What life held in store.
    We just wanted to rock 'n' roll forever more.

You,re some man to count heads in a crowded terrace

I've seen Leitrim chant Geoff-rey, Geoff-rey constantly at our 'keeper, Geoffrey Claffey,

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

In fairness to tyrone they have a lot of fit women supporting them. Definitley didnt go unnoticed over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Without doubt Roscommon fans & a small section of boo boys wouldn't change my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭thefa

dcr22B wrote: »
    Are you trying to tell me that there was absolute silence in the Hyde every time young O'Connor went to take a free last Sunday?

Every county has its boo boys, the reason the Dubs are remembered is because there is a larger crowd of them making the noise.

Personally, I hate the booing. I have to say I don't think you can say who the best supporters in the country are TBH.
    I don 't remember saying anything about Hyde Park to be honest. My point was just about Dublin fans. For a team that can generate such a positive vocal support for their own team with come on you boys in blue, etc, they lose some credit by creating a fairly ****ty atmosphere for opposition fans. That should really be left to a Dublin team playing well! It's not just a numbers thing either. Attitude plays a big part like it's definitely one of the home teams where booing is more widely accepted than average.

Somebody made a point there that the rebels gave as good as they got last year in the semi final but that's a fairly moot point. It's far from a trend and if a mass of home fans start showing disrespect for an opposition free taker, what do you expect the opposition fans do do in return given human nature not to mention a bit of drink in some cases? Wouldn't happen in a stadium reversal for the majority counties I think. The vast majority of booing I've heard at all the Cork games I've been to has been aimed at either perceived time wasting or a string of poor reffing decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

nicmarie wrote: »
    Just had a conversation with a dub there and he thinks that Dublin have the best gaa fan base by far! They may have more people at the games but does this not have to do with population?

The Dubs do have the biggest attendances.Then again its not that hard for them considering :

1.They rarely play championship games outside of Dublin.
    2.The population.

Not saying the Dubs are not great supporters of their team,just stating facts!

• Advertisement

You obviously didnt watch the Connacht final last Sunday then?Every free Mayo had was greeted with boos from the Roscommon crowd.Well a small minority of them anyway.

JohnnyBomb wrote: »
    its crazy to say dublin fans can have the best support when at the end of the day it should be expected when they live close to the stadium, you can even notice too since hurling has come on more and more over the years and now is going places and become a strong team in the championship. where years ago it was never supported like the football. i feel teams like down, cork and kildare show great support wheter it been a league game or championship and will always travel the support for these teams never really drops on any year same with roscommon

As a Cork man and Season Ticket holder I'd have to disagree with you on that.Even as All-Ireland champions this year crowds were abysmal at our league games.The only good crowd was at the home game against Down and that was mostly Down fans who brought bus loads all the ways down to Cork.

Kerry fans only go to the final. Yada yada yada. You have to remember that Kerry tend to play 3 games in Croke Park every year. Its a 5 hour trip to Dublin for most Kerry people. Tickets range from €50 to €70. It's not cheap if you are bringing kids with you. It's quite ironic coming from Cork fans who only started following the footballers once the hurlers went to sh1t.

On a side note the best fans (most mental) I witnessed were the Limerick hurling fans the day Kerry played Monaghan in the 1/4 final a few years back. Can't remember who Limerick were playing. Could have been Waterford.

Bit of an unfair generalisation there.Sure there are a few fair weather followers but thats the same for every county!

Carthy303 wrote: »
    You obviously didnt watch the Connacht final last Sunday then?Every free Mayo had was greeted with boos from the Roscommon crowd.Well a small minority of them anyway.

Check my other posts, there is a clue to whether I was at it or not! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well I remember '62
    I was sixteen and so were you
    And we lived next door,
    On the avenue.
    Jerry Lee was big and Elvis too;
    Blue jeans and blue suede shoes,
    And we never knew
    What life held in store.
    We just wanted to rock 'n' roll forever more.

You,re some man to count heads in a crowded terrace

mother of God talk about childish...

ignore button for you

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Booing frees and so on has being going on from supporters from pretty much all counties as long as I've been going to games. It's not a new thing and it's not just a Dublin thing either. It's harmless anyway IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Off The Ball guys tonight on Newstalk said Limerick have already snapped up 18,000 tickets for Dublin match on Sunday. And it's not even Thursday yet. Nice to see the hunger is back.

Wonder is that right, ground holds just over 50,000

Would they really give Limerick nearly half of that with Four counties playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Wonder is that right, ground holds just over 50,000

Would they really give Limerick nearly half of that with Four counties playing?

Semple's capacity is 51k. 18k is just over one-third of that. The Dubs and Galway will bring maybe 12-15k between them (neither will bring huge support), so the rest is left to Waterford fans. Now i wouldn't be surprised if they were slow to snap up tickets after seeing Tipp demolish their boys. They're not going to be too confident going in against a Galway side who beat Clare and Cork by a combined total of 29 points. So, if tickets are slow moving in the other 3 counties, then it's reasonable to expect Croke Park to give Limerick more tickets when demand there is highest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yeah anyone I've been talking to Grenache is heading along anyway. Nothing like knock out hurling to bring us out. Limerick supporters always go to matches in hope rather than expectation. In fairness to a county that has won Jack sh1t recently we still bring out supporters for games. Sure when we lost to Kilkenny in 07 there were 10000 to welcome the team home. Sure most of the Limerick supporters have their money saved from last year :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement