Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer Breeds

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

mayb a vet??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

To those that don't think there is an issue with designer dogs, I suggest you pay a visit to your local pound or animal shelter, the problem with designs is that they go out of fashion and when these dogs do it will be these that will be left to pick up the pieces, there are thousands of dogs put to sleep each year simply due to the fact that there is a surplus in demand and BYB and puppy farm owners couldn't care less as long as they get to make their quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

john t wrote: »
    mayb a vet??
    im kind of confused by some of your posts. some are hard to read mine do be sometimes too;)do i need to be a doctor to tell someone that smoking can cause cancer,drinking to much is bad for your liveor over eating can cause weight problems? you dont need to be a vet at all to tell someone that your dog can possibly pick up some of the genetic promlems of both breeds that have being crossed. i think that if that were the case then this section of boards would be none to busy.there are ways you can educate people about puppy farming or byb without coming across as being rude over powering/pushy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

well u are legally entitled too ur opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    To those that don't think there is an issue with designer dogs, I suggest you pay a visit to your local pound or animal shelter, the problem with designs is that they go out of fashion and when these dogs do it will be these that will be left to pick up the pieces, there are thousands of dogs put to sleep each year simply due to the fact that there is a surplus in demand and BYB and puppy farm owners couldn't care less as long as they get to make their quick buck.

While I appreciate this could be the case (though admittedly I haven't seen it), I think that this really depends on if someone has bought the dog as a pet/companion or as an accessory. If a dog is purchased as a new family member then they won't end up in a pound (given even basic research/experience by the owner) as they have an emotional attachment. Ideally, people shouldn't ever be allowed to buy creatures as accessories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

john t wrote: »
    mayb a vet??

So I need to be a vet to be able to tell someone they should consider taking their dog to a vet? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Evac105 wrote: »
    If a dog is purchased as a new family member then they won't end up in a pound (given even basic research/experience by the owner) as they have an emotional attachment.

:eek::eek::eek:
    I really, really wish this were true.
    But far from it, I'm afraid. Ask any rescue group.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

While I appreciate this could be the case (though admittedly I haven't seen it), I think that this really depends on if someone has bought the dog as a pet/companion or as an accessory. If a dog is purchased as a new family member then they won't end up in a pound (given even basic research/experience by the owner) as they have an emotional attachment. Ideally, people shouldn't ever be allowed to buy creatures as accessories.
    i dont doubt that people get them with the best intentions , but it still does not help the bitch that is just being used for the sole purpose of being a puppy making machine:(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

Ah, that was in response to the idea that people purchase puppies because they're fashionable and then dump them when they're no longer the ideal, thus swelling the numbers in rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Let me give you a couple of examples so, lady week I saw a lovely bichon go to his new home after being abandoned, he was microchipped however only the first line of the owners address was in the info so he could not be returned home, apparently this is now a common way for puppy farmers to get out of responsibility for their dog since the new regulations of the IKC make it impossible to register your dog without it being first microchipped.

Also I am currently fostering a chihuahua puppy, 4 months old, issue with his paw, possible fracture and other than that not in great condition at all. Wormy belly and hairloss, this dog was found straying. Now of all the dogs to find straying a chihuahua puppy is far from common. he is almost certainly the result of a puppy farm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement