Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blanchardstown yorkies not pure bred?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sunshine! wrote: »
    You win some you lose some, but although you're miffed at losing a bit of money do you not love the dog? If you break down the €270 to a daily rate of however many cents a day for the life expectancy, then it's a very small price to pay for a member of the family. Small dogs are cheap to feed as well, so your weekly outgoings shouldn't be too much unless you're breaking out the diamond collars or the like!
    Im struggling to stay impartial in this thread. But seriously...."you win some,you lose some"??!!!!:eek: I say that about cheap cushions i buy in Penneys.

Sunshine, yes the OP probably isnt questioning his love for the dog.He's questioning the amount he paid for the supposed quality of the animal. Are you a car lover? Its probably the same as disguising a 2011 Mercedes and actually getting a 1989 Fiat...get it??? You might love the car...but its going to cost you a heap of problems,break down constantly and your vet mechanic is your new best friend. He's now learnt his lesson and there's not very much he can do.

Pets are not commodities...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭zookey

i sold 3 brand new items today, all still in original packaging, and i can assure u my dear they were not stolen or neither did they fall off the back of a truck, lots of people sell brand new stuff they dont want for whatever reasons so dont be so quick to assume and judge people u dont even know and thats to you liloldme!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

zookey wrote: »
    i sold 3 brand new items today, all still in original packaging, and i can assure u my dear they were not stolen or neither did they fall off the back of a truck,

So nothing at all like how you bought your mongrel pup then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sheenaaziz

DBB wrote: »
    With all due respect, this completely misses the point. That this person is down €270 is hardly the end of the world, especially as they were so easily parted with it by a conman.
    The point is, every penny that a person gives to these conman "breeders" is more money supporting their business (which I seriously doubt pay a cent of tax on), and supporting the wretched broodstock left behind to continue the cycle of misery.
    Personally, I couldn't give a hoot that the OP, or any other person looking for a cheap deal, has lost their money. Serves them right, quite frankly. But I do care that they are funding such a horrendous trade. It's worse than buying hooky DVDs and "designer" clothes, because as has been pointed out, these are living creatures that are suffering because of human ignorance, stupidity and greed.

VERY WELL SAID.
    Who buys a dog these days without doing real research?
    TOO MANY PEOPLE.

Who buys a dog when 14000 homeless ones are put to sleep a year in Ireland?
    TOO MANY PEOPLE.

I was wondering when somebody would point out that the money lost by the buyer is not even an issue I would have a scrap of sympathy for. It is the thousands of other dogs in 20 inch crates, with no food, water, light, walkies, forced to pee and poop on themselves, puppy making machines, that is where MY sympathy is.

The fact that laws were written up last summer to protect these dogs is STILL waiting to be signed into law is appauling. It is time Ireland started making some noise on the subject.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Puppy-Farm-Project-Ireland/240005579351309

This attitude really upsets me. I understand you dont want to be vilified for a mistake but buying a puppy in a carpark is something every single animal welfare center out there will tell you never, ever to do. You dont know anything about where that pup came from, you were lied to about the breed, your money was taken, and the mother of that dog you own is still probably living a squalid awful life she was BEFORE, breedng from as young as 4 months, with no place to poop but on itself, no food, no love. This could be your dog. Just learn now and try to end it too nobody can do this alone, we all need to stand up and stop this. It is an Irish Epidemic. Telling someone else to "fix" it is a cop out -- people have been campaigning for change since 2006. We need more people.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Puppy-Farm-Project-Ireland/240005579351309

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Zookey, in direct response to your own post:
    zookey wrote:
    i bought my pup with my money of 270, cheap as u may think the cost doesnt matter to me my pup was well worth it and more and she is very well cared for and loved and is very very happy...

Well apparently it was a problem when you wrote this:
    zookey wrote:
    the bottome line is i trusted her & seems i have been ripped off for 270e for a x breed dog!...

So did you get ripped off, or was it well worth it?

Zookey, in direct response to your own post:

Well apparently it was a problem when you wrote this:

So did you get ripped off, or was it well worth it?

Worth it for the person who bought the dog? Or the person who sold the dog? Or for the thousands of dogs still being brutally abused and bred in this country for 270 euro a pop?

I dont think it is worth it no matter what the answer Zookey gives. Or anyone else ---- no matter how much you love the dog you got.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

We have a recently added a new family member, in the form of an ex breeding bitch CKC.
    She is about 8 - 10 years old and has had untold litters.
    She has no idea about the world, or freedom, or walks, or treats, or pets, or cuddles but oh my gosh, she wants to learn. She is without a doubt the kindest natured dog I have ever met.

She - and the myriad other prisoners - are the forgotten collateral damage in the dreadful trade that is puppy farming.

When I look at Daisy and see the years of abuse and ill treatment, I just can't find any way to have any sympathy for the OP or their ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Unfortunatly the message of not buying puppies from car parks ect is clearly not getting across to the general public.

I was at a country fair over the weekend and saw 4 seperate lots of puppies being sold within the fair, one lot were advertised as rottweiller pups for €200 and another litter were advertised as lurcher pups. There were people handing over money to these people who would be gone today with no way of being traced again. Even more upsetting was the crates of puppies outside in the car parks, puppies of all descriptions and ages were in these and people were making impulse buys because they felt sorry for them.

I was speaking to a friend who was doing agilty there and she said she'd spoken to the organisers and was told basically there was nothing they could do about it but surely they can as they have chosen to take either their pitch money or entrance fee into car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I was under the impression that it is illegal to sell pups at fairs like this? Is this wrong?

Although, the local gardai may not be easily persuaded to care, so unless the ISPCA are actually there on the day there's still not a lot that can be done about it, but maybe the organisers weren't aware of it being illegal and might have felt able to do something if they were?

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that it is illegal to sell pups at fairs like this? Is this wrong?

Although, the local gardai may not be easily persuaded to care, so unless the ISPCA are actually there on the day there's still not a lot that can be done about it, but maybe the organisers weren't aware of it being illegal and might have felt able to do something if they were?

Really not sure if illegal or not. There was a stand there from the local animal rescue and one lot of pups were almost opposite, not sure if they said anything to them but if they did it made little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

was also at a country fair this weekend, think its the same one that piperh was at, as I was standing there with a local animal rescue group. On the Saturday, it was reported that there were pups being sold, the seller was approached and pups disappeared. On the Sunday the seller was back again with the same pups and he was confronted by the founder of the charity and was told the pups were 'grand'. Again, it was reported to marshalls but to the best of my knowledge, nothing was done about it. It is illegal to sell dogs and in a public place (trying to find the legislation, will post it when I find it)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

In fairness to the charity, there is very little they could do other than approach the owner and appeal to their better selves. Even the ISPCA would not be able to do more, but they would generally be backed by the gardai.

Were the gardai at the event at all? But again without ISPCA and also warning, getting them to do much can be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

zookey wrote: »
    ...i have never heard of puppy farms in all my years of buying dogs & i'm pretty sure i have never contributed one either shocking they may be if they actually exist...

You contributed 270 euros to enable the horrible and cruel treatment of dogs being farmed in Ireland.

Whats worse is now you refuse to admit that you have supported the abuse of animals, instead of admitting your mistake and perhaps educating people so In the future people wont donate money to these horrible excuse for humans.

Denial is a powerful thing isnt it?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

OP what I am curious about is what is the purpose of this thread - you posted to see if there had been other people similarly ripped off but then what? Is it that you want to contact the breeder (lightly used) and get your money back. Is it that you want to get rid (rehome etc) the dog cause it isn't the dog you thought you were buying (even thoe the breed doesn't actually exist)

After this length of time does it really matter what the dog is. Its a dog end of doesn't matter what breed etc its been part of your family for x time....is it really that important what the dog is.

I mean hey I adopted a husky X pup....picture of her on the internet looked like a husky x pup went down to visit her with our other dog and the minute we met her knew there was no way in hell there was ANY husky in her.......it is still an ongoing joke between the rescue and me nearly 7 years later... she never grew passed the size of a cat.....but we adopted her and she is one in a million dog....I will get a husky one day

My husband wanted a rottie, I didn't want to buy a rottie not knowing any good breeders and at the same time wasn't overly keen on getting an adult one as we have 2 other dogs and cats.....I got a rottie pup, she was a rescue one therefore we were taken on the unknown....she had a lot of health issues at the start between her eyes, ears, legs, hips etc.....has dodgie hips which is for life, is a bag of nerves etc etc etc but do you know what I couldn't give a damn she is our pet plain and simply and all her quirks just make us love her move (mind you don't say that at 4am when she is hogging the duvet), she fits in with the rest of the hooligans in the house....the point is at the end of the day they are dogs and is the breed all that important if it is a part of the family.

In fairness to the charity, there is very little they could do other than approach the owner and appeal to their better selves. Even the ISPCA would not be able to do more, but they would generally be backed by the gardai.

Were the gardai at the event at all? But again without ISPCA and also warning, getting them to do much can be tricky.

Sorry didn't mean to imply that i expected the rescue to go marching in, i just meant that if they had said anything then the seller had taken no notice and really wasn't worried about the consequences. I saw a couple of gardai as i was leaving, didn't see any wandering around but thats not to say they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

There were guards there, but to be honest, there isn't much that they could have done - in my experience, they don't know the ins and outs of animal welfare legislation (the little that there is).

The charity that was at the fair, have no legal power and the issue of selling pups at a fair like this, was an issue for the ISPCA to be involved with - its a pity that ISPCA representatives/inspectors don't attend country fairs/game fairs as their presence is very much needed. In England, many of these 'fairs' are manned by SPCA inspectors so as to police the event.

ohmfg wrote: »
    We have a recently added a new family member, in the form of an ex breeding bitch CKC.
    She is about 8 - 10 years old and has had untold litters.
    She has no idea about the world, or freedom, or walks, or treats, or pets, or cuddles but oh my gosh, she wants to learn. She is without a doubt the kindest natured dog I have ever met.

She - and the myriad other prisoners - are the forgotten collateral damage in the dreadful trade that is puppy farming.

When I look at Daisy and see the years of abuse and ill treatment, I just can't find any way to have any sympathy for the OP or their ilk.

I also have an ex puppy farm cavalier - no teeth, half an ear, no bladder control. I too have little sympathy or those who buy dogs without REALLY researching. It seems king charles cavs are one of the most puppy farmed dogs here.

Advertisement