Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - add phone for 25 cent and up download speed to 25MB

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think in general in the T&C's it says that adding anything to your package, or upgrading etc means it's a 12 month contract. Shouldn't you be allowed by law to see the contract though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I think in general in the T&C's it says that adding anything to your package, or upgrading etc means it's a 12 month contract. Shouldn't you be allowed by law to see the contract though?

On the phone call it was all, "should" and "could". I asked to see what I agreed to and they couldn't produce. I'm still fighting it, although fighting is too strong a word.

I was pretty positive, at the time, that I wasn't entering into another contract. I read the landing page from top to bottom, again, at the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A week ago i took an offer of them to increase BB speed, get a Digital + box and phone and then pay less as what i am paying now for just BB and TV.

I specifically asked the guy of UPC if that would mean another 12 month contract which he confirmed.

As far as i know it has always been like that with UPC, change your products because you asked for it/agreed to it and there is naother 12 months stuck o them.

inforfun wrote: »
    A week ago i took an offer of them to increase BB speed, get a Digital + box and phone and then pay less as what i am paying now for just BB and TV.

I specifically asked the guy of UPC if that would mean another 12 month contract which he confirmed.

As far as i know it has always been like that with UPC, change your products because you asked for it/agreed to it and there is naother 12 months stuck o them.

I'll leave it at this ... I already had the other things. HD TV Digi Max, 25Mb broadband. I was simply adding phone for 25 cent a month. In no way did I see mentioned anywhere that it would involve a contract renewal.

I appreciate the input but I'm looking for a definitive not anecdotal. I don't think I'll find it. I'll put the burden of proof on UPC and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

RangeR wrote: »
    I'll leave it at this ... I already had the other things. HD TV Digi Max, 25Mb broadband. I was simply adding phone for 25 cent a month. In no way did I see mentioned anywhere that it would involve a contract renewal.

I appreciate the input but I'm looking for a definitive not anecdotal. I don't think I'll find it. I'll put the burden of proof on UPC and see how it goes.

Did you order the phone over the phone or online if you did it over the phone then you would be in contract but they would also have to advise you of the same AFAIK all calls are recorded so ask them to check the call to see were you advised of contract

• Advertisement

campo wrote: »
    Did you order the phone over the phone or online if you did it over the phone then you would be in contract but they would also have to advise you of the same AFAIK all calls are recorded so ask them to check the call to see were you advised of contract

It was the online "loyalty promo". They can't produce a "contract" so far. I'll chase it up tomorrow.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I'm
    pretty sure I saved alot of the details around this. I'll have a look tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Here you go. Attached is the page originally found at
    http://www.upc.ie/25centdeal/

Something special for our loyal customers

As a loyal customer, we’d like to reward you with a special bundle which includes free off peak local, national and international calls and super fast Broadband speeds for just 25c extra a month. This would normally cost €14 extra a month. What’s more connection is free and you’ll continue to enjoy the same great TV service and features.
    Fields marked with an asterick (*) are mandatory
    Account Number:*
    Customer Name:*
    House num / Name:*
    Street / Estate:*

Contact Phone Number:*
    Email address:*

I would like to add Home Phone with Freetime World to my UPC subscription and increase my Fibre Power Broadband speed to 25Mb for just 25c extra a month.*

Extra Options

Anytime World€5 extra a month
    For free local, national and international fixed line calls to selected destinations at ANY TIME.
    Double your Broadband Speed€5 extra a month
    For just €5 extra a month you can double your speed to 50Mb
    Upgrade to HD€5 extra a month
    We have a fantastic selection of channels including BBC HD, BBC One HD and Setanta HD.
    Cordless handset€15 one off fee

Terms and Conditions:
    This special reward includes an upgrade to UPC’s Home Phone service with Freetime World and an upgrade of your Fibre Power Broadband service to 25Mb and is subject to these terms and conditions. The normal extra monthly amount shown is based on UPC list prices which you would pay if you did not avail of this special bundle offering. Reward available until 31 July 2011. Double your speed for €5 extra a month refers to increasing your broadband speed from 25Mb to 50Mb. To increase your speed from 25Mb to 100Mb is an additional €15 a month and to increase your speed from 50Mb to 100Mb is an additional €10 a month. Existing broadband customers will be required to swap out their modem to avail of the higher broadband speeds of 50Mb and 100Mb. The UPC Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb and 100Mb services are only available to enabled homes. As part of this special reward connection is free. All services are billed monthly and are payable by Direct Debit. A €3 charge applies to all bills for non-Direct Debit customers. A €10 Downgrade Administration Fee will be applied anytime you downgrade any element of your service. Subject to a minimum contract period of twelve months for all services. A cancellation fee will apply should you cancel your service during the first twelve months. The UPC Home Phone service is provided on an IP protocol which depends on access to an electrical supply. In the event of a power failure, we advise customers to use alternative arrangements, e.g. mobile phones. Freetime World provides free off-peak local and national fixed landline calls and 400 off-peak international minutes per month to fixed landline numbers (excludes calls to mobile, premium rate, SMS and non geographic numbers) in selected international destinations, standard rates apply thereafter. Anytime World provides free local and national fixed landline calls and 400 free international minutes at any time per month to fixed landline numbers (excludes calls to mobile, premium rate, SMS and non geographic numbers) in selected international destinations, standard rates apply thereafter. Calls to the USA exclude calls to Hawaii and Alaska. These call plans are subject to our acceptable usage policy. Arrangements for the payment of the DSP Telephone Allowance should be made directly with the DSP. The UPC Home Phone service is only available to enabled homes. There is a charge of €15 for the first phone handset at point of sale. The charge for each additional phone handset is €35. UPC guarantee the handset provided for 6 months from date of installation. Any fault that occurs thereafter is the sole responsibility of the customer. The monthly data transfer allowance is 250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 25Mb and 50Mb and 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb. Average expected Broadband speeds at peak times are 25Mb, 50Mb and 100Mb for our Fibre Power Broadband services. Broadband speeds are the maximum possible speeds only. Actual speeds will vary depending on internet traffic, the sites you visit and other factors. Equipment remains the property of UPC so there is no charge for service technician visits. Prices include VAT. Residential use only. These terms and conditions are in addition to UPC’s customer Terms and Conditions. Information correct as at 06/11.

Subject to a minimum contract period of twelve months for all services. A cancellation fee will apply should you cancel your service during the first twelve months.

Cheers groom. I guess I'm in a contract until July this year so it must be honoured. Thanks again for clearing that up.

Advertisement