Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The next phase in FoxWood are starting at 235k I believe, well there;s one on sale on daft for 235 the prices just keep going up!!!

Crazy stuff. There's FAR better value in the second-hand market, in quieter areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

7upfree wrote: »
    Crazy stuff. There's FAR better value in the second-hand market, in quieter areas.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

hardybuck wrote: »
    Such as?

I was on Daft there and there are quite a few good deals to be had, I'm not saying the one i have my eye on but there are good deals out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Agreed but the difference between a D2 and A rated home is massive - I've made that switch before.

• Advertisement

I tend not to worry about that as I hate central heating! And insulation can be upgraded over time.

I tend not to worry about that as I hate central heating! And insulation can be upgraded over time.

You don't really need much central heating in those, your body heat nearly warms up the rooms.

I think you might be able to get as far as high C or maybe B with retrofitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

hardybuck wrote: »
    Agreed but the difference between a D2 and A rated home is massive - I've made that switch before.
    Sometimes, the BER is pretty unreliable so it is hit and miss. Plenty of A2 are freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Deiseen

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    Sometimes, the BER is pretty unreliable so it is hit and miss. Plenty of A2 are freezing.

Well then either they are not turning the heating on or the BER hasn't been done right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Deiseen wrote: »
    Well then either they are not turning the heating on or the BER hasn't been done right.
    Second. Many new houses never get BERs, they sometimes only do one in a set number on a new estate.

Or the builder has cut corners.

In my development you'll see every house has every window open for a lot of the summer because they're pretty much airtight.

Ventilation is very important as a result, that's another thing to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Prices up over 10% in the last year according to daft.ie
    Still a lack of supply in Waterford city and not much new houses being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

7upfree wrote: »

Ridiculous prices! The economy in Waterford hasn't changed that significantly!

And how have you come to this conclusion?

Well tell me where the major investments have been made since 2009?
    What major new companies have expanded their operational needs to Waterford?

Still no airport, no university, no plans for urban renewal of the city!

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/the-10000-jobs-plan/

I'm reading then this from The Munster Express and if that idiot has any involvement in this plan you can say goodbye to any further development
    in Waterford!

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Prices up over 10% in the last year according to daft.ie Still a lack of supply in Waterford city and not much new houses being built.

But doesn't supply always meet demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    But doesn't supply always meet demand?

Only if its profitable to do so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Don't you know TheQuietFella is an expert economist, city planner, politician and tourism marketer yet still manages to spend half the day ranting and raving on boards.ie :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Actually, there are a huge amount of new homes being built in Waterford at the moment.

The next phase of Foxwood is being released soon, They are A energy rated houses, as regards the BER I think i heard that when an estate is built they do a BER test on the first one, but that could have been just idle talk though but it wouldn't surprise me,

There are over 100 houses currently being built behind Musgraves at six cross roads, and Kill St Lawrence is also still under development, so to say there is a lack of supply isn't very well thought through, not to mention the amount of second hand houses on DAFT in Waterford

Maybe you should reword your statement??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

well it obviously has as its sale agreed and the other developments are having no problems selling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please attack the post and not the poster

Well tell me where the major investments have been made since 2009?
    What major new companies have expanded their operational needs to Waterford?

Still no airport, no university, no plans for urban renewal of the city!

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/the-10000-jobs-plan/

I'm reading then this from The Munster Express and if that idiot has any involvement in this plan you can say goodbye to any further development
    in Waterford!

<SNIP>

No plans for urban renewal except for the largest ever FDI investment outside of the pale :rolleyes:

Actually, there are a huge amount of new homes being built in Waterford at the moment.

The next phase of Foxwood is being released soon, They are A energy rated houses, as regards the BER I think i heard that when an estate is built they do a BER test on the first one, but that could have been just idle talk though but it wouldn't surprise me,

There are over 100 houses currently being built behind Musgraves at six cross roads, and Kill St Lawrence is also still under development, so to say there is a lack of supply isn't very well thought through, not to mention the amount of second hand houses on DAFT in Waterford

Maybe you should reword your statement??

Ok
    A lack of supply in decent areas.

What's decent? Houses can only be built on land that is sold and licenced for building. If you are renting and want to buy you'll take what you can get, if you are at home with mother you'll rent wherever you can.

What's decent? Houses can only be built on land that is sold and licenced for building. If you are renting and want to buy you'll take what you can get, if you are at home with mother you'll rent wherever you can.

Foxwood are nice houses but the area is rough. Not the most desirable neighbours nearby. Foxwood is only a small estate anyway. Houses seem to be very slow going up there.
    I thought the houses being built behind Musgrave were respond houses but could be wrong.
    A new small estate being built beside Templars hall. Not a great area either.
    Kill St Lawrence is not a bad estate by the looks of it.
    There is also a new estate with just 14 houses going up at the back of Sherlock walk but again not the best of areas and not the most desirable of neighbours.
    Over in ferrybank some nice new houses going up on the rockshire road but again it's fairly small scale. Houses look nice but pricy and would be a great area to live in if the north quays gets developed.

Lots of small bits here and there but not a huge amount of new houses being built and not all in the most desirable areas.

Desirable areas by their very nature tend not to have much scope for development beyond a point as they tend to be landlocked whereas your wind blown and rent heavy locales are often perched near the edge of town with the ring road or other main artery for company.

Anyway on the Williamstown road (desirable?) a big mixed development is planned - 350 or so and predictably there are plenty of objections submissions.

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/28/51-submissions-on-williamstown-development/

Don't you know TheQuietFella is an expert economist, city planner, politician and tourism marketer yet still manages to spend half the day ranting and raving on boards.ie :confused::confused:

When you've made your money you can well afford to be all those things! :D

Desirable areas by their very nature tend not to have much scope for development beyond a point as they tend to be landlocked whereas your wind blown and rent heavy locales are often perched near the edge of town with the ring road or other main artery for company.

Anyway on the Williamstown road (desirable?) a big mixed development is planned - 350 or so and predictably there are plenty of objections submissions.

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/28/51-submissions-on-williamstown-development/

It's gas how all the politicans have to come out making submissions on behalf of their constituents, but then they'll also criticise the lack of available housing.

Important to ensure that developments are done to acceptable standards and scale, but the NIMBYism is galling at times.

• Advertisement

The only submissions mentioned that stand up to scrutiny are regarding traffic - the Williamstown road backs up about half a KM at peak times.

Advertisement