Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember Henry J's, Dillingers, Woodies, Central Park?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Derrynane was in the Square where Willow is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Grace McCarthys was brilliant for years.I remember having 4 pints in there when I was 16 and cycling home.Fell off a couple of times.:D.Now,many years later 4 pints wouldnt even be a warm-up:(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Chuileog wrote: »
    Anyone been to the legendary parties out in Tiermaclane about 10 years ago?
    if they are the ones im thinking of, i'd left ennis, but my friends went and they were legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

if they are the ones im thinking of, i'd left ennis, but my friends went and they were legendary.
    They sure were:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I know Francie, have done since I was a kid, a real gent!

Sorry to bump this thread but....

RIP Francie, Ennis has lost one of its true gentlemen today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Anyone remember a bouncer called "Pavarotti" - he was a really sound guy. I also remember another really nice bouncer called Francie Mahon. One night after much dancing, he superglued a stiletto heel back on for me :D:D

I, like lots of thirty somethings who grew up in Ennis have wonderful memories of the late Francie McMahon, on nights out Francie was like your favourite Uncle, he would keep an eye out for you but wouldn't get in the away of you having fun.

Francie was a real gentleman and he will be very sadly missed by all who knew him. Sincere sympathy to the McMahon/Mahon families.

Heaven has gained another roaring Eire Og supporter - there will be some party up there!

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilís.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

RIP Francie, you will be sadly missed.

Guy's I must be ancient cause I remember every pub mentioned.

I loved the Sunday night's at the Alvin Purple in Gracie's.

I had forgotten about The Derrynane, anyone remember The Little Theatre?? Not a pub but we all hung out there after school, I loved it there.

babygirlz wrote: »
    I had forgotten about The Derrynane, anyone remember The Little Theatre?? Not a pub but we all hung out there after school, I loved it there.
    I remember the Little Theatre well, Graham used to run it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember the teenage discos in Chapel Lane, when getting the shift was massive

Clareman wrote: »
    I remember the teenage discos in Chapel Lane, when getting the shift was massive
    I don't remember those but I remember the Colaiste and Flannan's discos in St. Flannans.

• Advertisement

I don't remember those, I just remember looking on the 6th years like they were aliens, oh how different life would have been if Flannan's was CoEd back in my day.

I am not officially old cause I used the phrase in my day

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Clareman wrote: »

I rem these well!!! Chapel Lane was first disco!!

And I rem when Graham McMahon was a bouncer in the Lifford!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

maiden wrote: »
    I rem these well!!! Chapel Lane was first disco!!

And I rem when Graham McMahon was a bouncer in the Lifford!!

Shifty shifty time to November Rain down the Chapel Lane !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Jaysus, this thread brings back memories! Im from Waterford City but I lived and worked in Ennis for 7 years from 94 to 01. Really missed it when I moved home.
    I remember some of the best nights of my life were in The Usual Place,Brandons (Aaron Esley?-Legendary Elvis impersinator),El Paso,Brogans,The Queens,Central Park,The Lifford/MT Pockets. The night the Hurling team came home after winning the 95 All Ireland was a highlight. It was like a carnival!
    The end result was always the same. A one hour stumble from town to the Kilrush Road where I lived!
    I think Ive just talked myself into a weekend in Ennis!:D

cycocycle wrote: »
    Jaysus, this thread brings back memories! Im from Waterford City but I lived and worked in Ennis for 7 years from 94 to 01. Really missed it when I moved home.

I remember some of the best nights of my life were in The Usual Place,Brandons (Aaron Esley?-Legendary Elvis impersinator),El Paso,Brogans,The Queens,Central Park,The Lifford/MT Pockets. The night the Hurling team came home after winning the 95 All Ireland was a highlight. It was like a carnival!

The end result was always the same. A one hour stumble from town to the Kilrush Road where I lived!

I think Ive just talked myself into a weekend in Ennis!:D
    I really enjoyed reading your post, it made me laugh out loud. Did you say you were living in Kilrush or the Kilrush Road??? :D:D An hour to get out the Kilrush Road, what on earth were you doing? carrying someone on your back or walking on stilts...???

I hope you make it back to Ennis some weekend and you have a great time :)

Just beside Flannans. I would nearly always meet someone and end up bull****ting away for ages on the way home.
    I,ll definitely be heading up in the new year. I have no contact numbers for anyone I worked with(washed the phone in the pocket of a jeans and lost all my numbers:rolleyes:) but I,ll just head to the few pubs we used to go to and I,ll surely meet someone I know. Even if I dont I always found Ennis friendly when I was there so the craic should be good.

Im thinking of heading to Ennis in a few weeks. Would like to meet up with some of the crew I worked with. If anyone worked (or knows anyone who worked) in Assmann Electronics on the showgrounds road Id like to get in touch. They should know who I am as I believe I was the only long haired,Waterford hurling supporting biker who ever worked there!:D
    Any help be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Did Chris Hayes work there??

maiden wrote: »
    Did Chris Hayes work there??
    He did. A fellow Metal head.Sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Maiden, Angelfire09 and I were having a chat here on boards earlier this evening and we started reminiscing about venues we remember from our youth. (which was only a couple of years ago) ;):)

Here are some of the ones that were mentioned -

"The Lifford" - very popular pub if you were a girl who wanted a biker boyfriend or wanted to play pool.

"Dillingers Bar & Snooker Hall" - Used to be a great place for live music. Does anyone remember when the band "Big Generator" were very popular?

"Henry J's Cocktail Bar" - Shane Kelly was a barman there. he was Ennis' answer to Tom Cruise in Cocktail. Anyone remember the beach parties?

Brogans was also really popular, a real townies pub. I no longer live in Ennis but when I go home I love to head to Brogans where you will always meet a friendly face :)

So fellow Clare boardies where did you hang out in your youth?
    All off the above!!!
    Loved the Diamond too. Haven't been drinking in Ennis in ages.Always liked the Derrynane for a quiet pint too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Due North wrote: »
    Always liked the Derrynane for a quiet pint too.
    its a cloths shop now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Derrynane is sadly missed, I always loved it too. The Diamond is still going strong. The Poet's Corner bar in the Old Ground is nice (when you can get a seat, that is) there are often good trad sessions there at weekends. And they have Paulaner on tap. Yum.
    Other good spots I mean to return to soon:
    Paddy Quinn's on Lower Market Street
    McQ's on Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shove the Pigs Foot

Anyone remember McEvoy's in the Market? Jeeziz, that was some place on a Saturday night, circa 1979. Rough out.
    Later became Dillinger's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone remember the Dillinger ads in the cinema - I always wanted to go there as a young lad but strangely in real life there was no diamond clad lady waiting for me at the bar with a welcoming smile.
    Just a frosty bouncer and a barman who hated life.

buck65 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Dillinger ads in the cinema - I always wanted to go there as a young lad but strangely in real life there was no diamond clad lady waiting for me at the bar with a welcoming smile.
    Just a frosty bouncer and a barman who hated life.
    :D:D:D

Were you watching that advert in the Burren Cinema or the Empire Movieplex? ;):D

I used to love Dillingers, it was a great pub for live music. Anyone old enough to remember Big Generator playing there? :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Both actually,
    when I was of drinking age Dillinger's wasn't trendy with the young so we went to Howley's, Kearney's, Lifford etc.
    My 2nd cousin is actually the guitarist in Big Generator, saw them in Henry J's once they're a good cover band.

I reckon that we must be about the same vintage, Buck 65 lol :D:D:D . I loved Big Generator they were a great band and they were very popular for graduations at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Big Generator are still around: They're playing the Araglin Carnival in North Cork next Friday (27th.) :)
    I might have to go along and revisit my 1994 graduation!

They played the Colaiste grad back in 95, I remember being more interested in the Big G that in the girl that brought me:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Emthatwasme

I worked in Henry J's.....apologies.

Advertisement